• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

PSUEagle

Whittingham is a really good coach: don't know what else he's supposed to do at Utah to prove otherwise. He sustained the Urban Meyer generated momentum and kept them near the top of the MWC, and he eventually won a Sugar Bowl with a roster comprised entirely of his recruits. Have they "struggled" a little in the Pac 12? Sure. But then what did you expect?

My only WTF moment with him was when he promoted Brian Johnson to OC after two years total coaching football. Having a 24 year old in charge of a BCS, DI offense is absurd, and predictably it didn't work out.

Bdub

He is great coach but again he has never had an even good offense, if he could just do that Utah has a chance to be really really good.

I don't want him to leave but what has happened over the last week is very concerning.

Last edited:

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
B50v8LCCIAAp93m.jpg

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
So after my last post the Salt Lake Tribune runs an article that says that Whittingham is upset with AD Hill for not offering better pay for Sitake and such and feels like the work and improvement made this year is being sabotaged. Based on that, I don't think that Utah is looking to fire Whit. I think they want him to stay. But Whit is upset and looking at other options (was his name really on the list for Wisconsin? I don't remember reading that at all). Reports are that Sitake would have stayed if offered less at Utah, but the offer didn't meet what he wanted.

Has AD Hill, who's done an outstanding job, gotten a bit crazy? Is it time for him to go?

Towards the end of the season, my wife and I both wondered if Bronco would leave BYU. We weren't surprised when his name was reported for Wisconsin. One problem with BYU coaches, though, is seeing what LDS HC options are out there. If, especially due to the brawl, Bronco does choose to leave soon, the movement within the state of Utah could get very interesting.

PSUEagle

Assistant coaching salaries is the current "arms race" in college football. Some schools are willing to step up and pay enormous salaries to assistants/support personnel (Alabama having a million ex-coaches in non on field roles comes to mind) while others aren't.

I'm pretty sure Wisconsin's assistant salary pool (or lack thereof) is a big reason Bielma made a lateral move at best for Arkansas. He kept losing assistant coaches every year and the Badgers wouldn't step up and pay them, making it hard to keep quality coaches around (and thus making his job much harder).

Bdub

The thing is Utah is top 5 in the PAC 12 for assistant compensation so it seems a little ridiculous they would be fighting over that. It appears Oregon State was willing to give Sitake a 6 year contract, not something I would want Utah to match.

Craig7835

Whittingham is a really good coach: don't know what else he's supposed to do at Utah to prove otherwise. He sustained the Urban Meyer generated momentum and kept them near the top of the MWC, and he eventually won a Sugar Bowl with a roster comprised entirely of his recruits. Have they "struggled" a little in the Pac 12? Sure. But then what did you expect?

My only WTF moment with him was when he promoted Brian Johnson to OC after two years total coaching football. Having a 24 year old in charge of a BCS, DI offense is absurd, and predictably it didn't work out.

That moment right there had me shaking my head. Hell @PSUEagle Whitt could've hired you as OC

Craig7835

I was watching Louisana Tech & Illinois yesterday,Skip Holtz has basically turned them from an Air Raid team to a ball control team. Also do you guys Beckman has ONE more year to turn things around for the Illini?

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
The thing is Utah is top 5 in the PAC 12 for assistant compensation so it seems a little ridiculous they would be fighting over that. It appears Oregon State was willing to give Sitake a 6 year contract, not something I would want Utah to match.

A 6 year contract for an assistant? lol, not even the greatest of assistant coaches warrant a 6 year contract.

Assistant coaching contracts are such a big issue across CFB now. A lot of head coaches are negotiating assistant salary money into their own contract before they agree to sign it, just to make sure schools are committed to paying the money. I know Nick Saban has his assistant coach salary pool written into his contract, others do as well. I'm guessing we will start to see that more and more.

Not all schools are going to be willing to pay that money though, ala Utah or Wisconsin. Their attitude seems to be, if you want to walk, walk we will replace you with someone else. Sometimes that won't work out, sometimes it will but at least they have flexibility. Paying position coaches $250-300K+ and coordinators upwards of $750K with multi-year deals makes it tough to make changes when they are necessary.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Utah offered Sitake 2 years at 800k a year and he walked for less money but more years.

Makes sense, long term stability is usually more important for an assistant than salary unless it is just completely disproportionate. Wasn't Sitake already in the top 10 of assistant coach salaries in the conference? Money probably wasn't a huge deal, if you can find someone willing to give you 6 years, you take it. 6 years is crazy.

Utah doesn't seem to have much trouble identifying coaching talent and they seem to pay them decent salaries, so I don't get it. Is it possible that it is just a tough work place? If the HC and AD are feuding, that can trickle down very quickly.

Bdub

I think like you said money isn't the issue but long term stability is. Combined with the fact that he coached with Gary Anderson for his whole career, it makes sense. Dave Christensen leaving for a lesser job is the biggest mystery. He was offered an extension and raise to stay. Instead he took less money and a lesser position to get out.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I think like you said money isn't the issue but long term stability is. Combined with the fact that he coached with Gary Anderson for his whole career, it makes sense. Dave Christensen leaving for a lesser job is the biggest mystery. He was offered an extension and raise to stay. Instead he took less money and a lesser position to get out.

Yeah I don't really get Christensen. Any time that happens, I always wonder if the head coach is trying to impose certain restrictions or expectations on a coordinator. The Houston Nutt-Gus Malzahn situation. A talented coordinator is brought in but not allowed to run what he wants to run and the coordinator leaves for a lesser job just to get out of that situation. Whittingham is a defensive guy so I'd like to think he wasn't telling the OC what to do, but it sure seems weird that he burns through OCs so often.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

Holy shit. I cannot believe it is THAT bad. Whittingham is a damn good football corch. Guess we know why he was trying so hard to leave.

Bdub

Yeah and if we need a new coach this late in the game we are fucked. I don't even know who would be good candidates at this point.

Simo77

The bidding for Harbaugh is still open :trollface:

If AD/Prez was going to make a move they shoulda done it before now.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yeah and if we need a new coach this late in the game we are fucked. I don't even know who would be good candidates at this point.

Exactly, what is Utah going to do now? If you were going to force the guy out, just do it. If you force him out now, you're completely fucked. If you keep him around, how awkward of a situation will it be going into the off-season and next season? Recruits will have no idea if Whittingham will be around next year, current players will have no clue. That is the worst possible situation to put your program in.

Does Whittingham have enough fans in the administration for them to side with him and just fire the Athletic Director? Either Whittingham or the AD have to go, I'd rather have Whit.

Bdub

Pretty sure Erickson only coaches on the random days he isn't drunk.

Now there are rumors that Gary Anderson hasn't signed with OSU and he is coming to Utah and Whitt is going to BYU. Just goes to show how stupid people are on Twitter.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I think one of the weirdest things about Harbaugh is the rumor the 49ers were going to trade him to the Browns. I didn't even know NFL teams could trade coaches?

PSUEagle

So, Harbaugh to Michigan is DONE DEAL, PLAYERS NOTIFIED.

Even though I absolutely despise Michigan more than any program not named Notre Dame, this is good for the B1G. One way to boost the conference back to real prominence is to simply get better coaches. There are at least four very good/great coaches now in the league (Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio, and Kill), so that's already great compared to the Tressel years at OSU where basically no one consistently challenged him.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Dave Baldwin will be the offensive coordinator at Oregon State. Wow Andersen put together one hell of a staff up there. We will see if it matters any but that's very impressive.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Never thought I'd see the day on utopia where people were excited about Dave Baldwin...

Seems like Oregon State is pretty serious about their assistants. The Pac-12 has become insane when it comes to hires. B1G with Harbaugh starting to catch up a bit but as far as hires of late it's been SEC and Pac-12 running laps around the rest of the country.

bruin

it's really not close.

was dying at Big ten plebs sticking out their chests over Penn State's win against BC last night.

Bdub

Anderson is going to raid all the Utah schools. Fucking ridiculous

He still hasn't hired a coach that was at a team outside of Utah.

Brick

Holy shit.
ave Baldwin reunites with Gary a. At Oregon state.

LL osu fans should be cackling and rolling blunts. Best off season evar. This is almost literally best case scenario.

Pac12 is loaded with corches. Oregon better win this year cause this is fucking ridiculous.

Lol at USC with the sarktapus

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I know I'm late to the discussion, but I was driving home from Texas.

I know that Sitake and other assistants were given contracts through this year but not longer. The thinking was that if the team lost again this year they would clean house. I think that could be a big reason behind the HC/AD rift and why so many assistants are willing to leave. Hill has been a brilliant AD. But he's really messed things up with the football team recently.

Since coming home rumors are flying that Whitt is talking to BYU. None of them from good news sources, though.