• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2044 Off-Season Thread (GET YOUR ST ROSTERS READY)

Lloyd Carr

Lol. I feel for you brother. I'd be fine by the end of this season with what I've already offered. You've got a good base...I'd hate to see you ruin it over one player

Hell, like I said a few pages ago, I may let you have him just so there will be leSS competition in the SL over the next few years

Let me have him, please.

If I spend $50M, I will make $15M back this year just off increasing ticket prices (from $18 last year to $23 this year. Only a $5 increase. Imagine if I tried increasing it to $25-30 where the league average is). I will cut Development/Scouting by $9M and $10M respectively, giving myself an additional $19M to beat back that hit from Bug. So just from raising ticket prices, and cutting spending on Development and Scouting, I've saved myself $34M. That's in one year. If that penalty is taken from the FA budget next year (and the budget is similar to what it has been since I took over Buffalo), I raise ticket prices another $2, and I keep my Scouting/Development budget down again next year, then I am back into the green.

My payroll is only at $65M and it won't go above $80 anytime soon, and I am very suspect of the budget being cut that low. As long as the budget doesn't go below $80M, I won't lose any players and so long as I draft smartly and take guys at slot, then in two years I will be right where I am now, with Bug, and with no sizable loss.

Dionne at me.

[If I got any of my accounting facts wrong, then lawd have mercy on my bankroll]

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Only if he gives me kiene. His payroll would be like 50M and he'd be playoff bound.

osick87

Community Liaison
I could be talked into taking those two for all your 3rd round draft picks and maybe a 2nd next year.

Lloyd Carr

I hope someone has a $5M bid still on Bug. That way when Wolfman and myself play chicken and both bail on the same sim, Bug is forced into signing that $5M deal that's been sitting there all off-season. I wish I had done that. Played the long-game hoping two schmucks would screw it up.

Wolfman21

I'm not on pins and needles. I could get bug or not. Doesn't really matter to me. My lineup isn't my issue anyways

osick87

Community Liaison
Pleasure doing Business with you @jdlikewhoa.

Moritz was blocked behind Zhou and Lucio. I'm likely not going to be great this year so taking on some salary to grab a few more draft picks who hopefully do well and a pretty solid pitching prospect was fine for me. Both contracts expire at the end of this year (Garcia won't be offered Arb) so it's a short rental that may end up helping me compete for that third spot.

osick87

Community Liaison
The biggest reason for the trade was also me whiffing on any of the big IFAs (I think, I haven't checked the sim) so I might as well try a bit more to get the market.

I was expecting to have to haggle on Davies but I started off wanting to unload one of my big contracts and worked back from there.

Lloyd Carr

I don't care either way. I don't care if you guys try and make your teams better.

But this trade is bin Haddad all over, but even worse. osick actually got guys that matter and can play, got solid draft picks, and he gave up a AAA lifer and took on some payroll.

Lloyd Carr

$24M is $4M more than DLS salary for the year. NML wanted me to give him a 2nd for him.

Yet you got a 2nd, and a lot more, for simply taking on that salary. Like I said, I'll never understand trades in this league.

jdlikewhoa

Osi essentially paid $24mil for 4 draft picks and we swapped prospects that are blocked by other players in our respective organization. This is a great deal for both sides if you're looking at how it improves each team

osick87

Community Liaison
$24M is $4M more than DLS salary for the year. NML wanted me to give him a 2nd for him.

Yet you got a 2nd, and a lot more, for simply taking on that salary. Like I said, I'll never understand trades in this league.

Almost as if those are different trading partners. JD has always shown he'll overpay to dump salary. NML is pretty stingy trading. I've only gone to him for minor trades (other than Colomo). DLS is also a real player. These two are RPs. Shitthebed may be a SP if I decide to have Rambaud or Soto go down.

Osi essentially paid $24mil for 4 draft picks and we swapped prospects that are blocked by other players in our respective organization. This is a great deal for both sides if you're looking at how it improves each team

It adds another contender to Bug, who I wasn't going to get anyways.

Lloyd Carr

I understand how both teams benefit. But let's not pretend osick didn't just made off like a bandit in that trade.

Don't try and sugar coat the trade. It was a fleece. I don't care if it was a fleece, you guys made the trade not me. But at least acknowledge it.

Lloyd Carr

Almost as if those are different trading partners. JD has always shown he'll overpay to dump salary. NML is pretty stingy trading. I've only gone to him for minor trades (other than Colomo)..

You mean like how there were partners that were cool with Nico/Fabian/1st for Robles, but that trade was vetoed.

Or how there were partners that were cool with a 1-1 for Ammar and Funky, but that trade got crucified publicly?

Lloyd Carr

If you guys want to make the trade, more power to you. I'm not attacking the trade, I am attacking the hypocrisy.

osick87

Community Liaison
u-mad-o.gif

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Lloyd you have done your fair share of crucifying. Osick definitely won this deal though, other than bailing on his IFAs. If JD wins Bug though the deal might be more fair.

Still cant ant wait for Cupit to be the better prospect this time 3 years from now.

Gooksta

I understand how both teams benefit. But let's not pretend osick didn't just made off like a bandit in that trade.

Don't try and sugar coat the trade. It was a fleece. I don't care if it was a fleece, you guys made the trade not me. But at least acknowledge it.
Good for him

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
LC is just mad that everytime I think about dealing with him everybody gets up in arms and then trades like that happen with no one batting an eye. He just has to remember everything that has to do with the Tulips gets put under a microscope and nobody cares what anybody else does.

NML

While he is in discussion, DLS is still available.

I go back and forth on whether Caden Trail is ready or if he needs another year. If I move DLS will actually decide it, I think.

Lloyd Carr

LC is just mad that everytime I think about dealing with him everybody gets up in arms and then trades like that happen with no one batting an eye. He just has to remember everything that has to do with the Tulips gets put under a microscope and nobody cares what anybody else does.

This is essentially it.

I don't care if osick and jd want to make the trade, and I've never argued against the idea that people can trade the way they want. If two people agree to a trade, then that is their prerogative.

But it's stupid that there are people in here who are using that same argument, when in the past they've argued the exact opposite.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This is essentially it.

I don't care if osick and jd want to make the trade, and I've never argued against the idea that people can trade the way they want. If two people agree to a trade, then that is their prerogative.

But it's stupid that there are people in here who are using that same argument, when in the past they've argued the exact opposite.

Well just realize I have to play with a different set of rules so trading with me will bring more attention. If you trade with others you'll have a much easier go of it.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Truth. Look what I had to give up to move the GOAT closer
You picked the worst time to move that kind of salary. If you actually wanted value you should have waited. You just didn't want his salary anymore. Plus it's a reliever.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It wasn't that guy at all.
The first was what everyone go so mad about. Ive traded both fabian and nico now and by far the better value was lloyds offer. Robles is much better than jude, one of osi's outfielders and the outfielder i got in the second.

Tell me where im wrong

jdlikewhoa

You picked the worst time to move that kind of salary. If you actually wanted value you should have waited. You just didn't want his salary anymore. Plus it's a reliever.

I know. I probably could've gotten some decent value for either had I not been moving them during FA. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to move them at all right now and I would've just held onto them through the season if that was the case.

Lloyd Carr

The first was what everyone go so mad about. Ive traded both fabian and nico now and by far the better value was lloyds offer. Robles is much better than jude, one of osi's outfielders and the outfielder i got in the second.

Tell me where im wrong

In hindsight, I am very glad the trade was veto'd.

I'd much rather have Robles over Nico, I didn't want Fabian and I'd likely only have gotten a 2nd out of him, and the draft class was horrible last year.

Gooksta

Also.. those who currently have late first round picks.. look at what u picked.. so when u are inquiring on a proven vet for a playoff push.. correlate that to what ur picking..

Statement is in regards to those who overvlue late 1st round pics to possible playoff appearances.. which also correlates to a bigger payroll for future yrs

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
In hindsight, I am very glad the trade was veto'd.

I'd much rather have Robles over Nico, I didn't want Fabian and I'd likely only have gotten a 2nd out of him, and the draft class was horrible last year.
I would be too if i were you, that wouldve been a fleece on my part. Funny that all the guys who said that was too much never offered more than you, odd isnt it? It is almost as if the value of those three guys wasnt as high as they said it was.

osick87

Community Liaison
If I vetoed the Nico trade, I apologize. I don't think I I would legit veto it but I would voice my opinion on it. I voiced my opinion in thinking giving up at the time a top 5 SP, first rounder and another player for a middle of the road starter was shitty value. Even with the wage gap, Nico is still a good value. Good enough to not have to warrant giving up that first and another player to make that deal valid.

I backtracked off the Ammar trade being shit when Lloyd showed what 1-1 went for before. I'd argue that Ammar was better than Ruiz but it's probably not worth it. My opinion was if OU is auctioning off Ammar he wants more assets. Sure the 1-1 player probably will be a better one on one value than what figs gave up but I'd say the overall value will be better. If OU-11 would have picked Lloyd's offer I would have been fine with it after that. I didn't think it was near the return as getting 3 prospective MLers.

I'm just going to stop voicing my opinion on stuff because it's not really worth the time and just has me coming off as a curmudgeon.

I take this shit more seriously than I should.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If I vetoed the Nico trade, I apologize. I don't think I I would legit veto it but I would voice my opinion on it. I voiced my opinion in thinking giving up at the time a top 5 SP, first rounder and another player for a middle of the road starter was shitty value. Even with the wage gap, Nico is still a good value. Good enough to not have to warrant giving up that first and another player to make that deal valid.

First, don't stop voicing opinions. Second Nico was worth a late first, Fabian was worth a late 2nd. How in the world could a two late firsts and a late second be worth more than Robles? Don't look at what you think Nico should be valued, think about what Nico IS valued. Instead of Robles, I have Jude and some dude I took in the second this year. I don't really remember what that 1st was a part of, I sent it away for something.

I think the problem is you guys only look at the player and not what he can realistically get in the open market.