• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Year 9, Week 7

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@TXHusker05 was right about vanilla defense being better. Go figure.

Seriously, it took me a while to realize it but 95% of the plays in every single defensive playbook are broken garbage. Every exotic zone blitz is a recipe to give up a billion yards, most base zone defenses are worthless because the interior zone players gain far too much depth to be of use, even when you use aggressive zone defense (which I would HIGHLY recommend anyway). I'll call 5 defensive plays max in a game, typically out of just 3 different defensive alignments (425 Normal with a check to 4-4 to avoid alignment problems or Nickel Normal). That's it, that's my entire defense.

When I happen to have a team with awkward personnel where I can't run a four man front, I'll typically do the same thing but with 3-3-5 Stack, Nickel 3-3-5 and a 5-2 check (again for alignment issues). That's it.

The issue defensively is finding something slightly different than what most people use. I would guesstimate all but 2-3 users in the league run a form of 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 defense, in turn, every user faces those defenses weekly and knows how and where to attack it and where the weaknesses will be. If you do something even just a little different, in my case my 4-4 automatic check, you can give looks people haven't seen much and don't know how to react to. I've gotten so many interceptions just running my 4-2-5 to 4-4 check.

Of course, all of that said, defense is still hard as shit but there are some ways to get an edge.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I've kind of figured out how to stop the run game.. but I always give up 300+ yards in passing. and I have a horrible time getting pressure, with or without blitzing

That's pretty much my defensive strategy, I will stop the run first. I'm not going to let someone hand the ball off 40 times and win a game. If someone wants to throw 40 times and win, more power to them, but I like my chances of forcing an occasional turnover through the air if I force people to the air repeatedly.

This backfires from time to time, usually against @bruin228 who throws for 1500 yards against me any time we play, but generally it works out. At the very least it keeps me in games.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@Walter323 Monday night still the plan? I won't be home until probably 8pm eastern tomorrow, hopefully that is fine. Will try to hustle up and make it a bit earlier.

Akecheta

Seriously, it took me a while to realize it but 95% of the plays in every single defensive playbook are broken garbage. Every exotic zone blitz is a recipe to give up a billion yards, most base zone defenses are worthless because the interior zone players gain far too much depth to be of use, even when you use aggressive zone defense (which I would HIGHLY recommend anyway). I'll call 5 defensive plays max in a game, typically out of just 3 different defensive alignments (425 Normal with a check to 4-4 to avoid alignment problems or Nickel Normal). That's it, that's my entire defense.

When I happen to have a team with awkward personnel where I can't run a four man front, I'll typically do the same thing but with 3-3-5 Stack, Nickel 3-3-5 and a 5-2 check (again for alignment issues). That's it.

The issue defensively is finding something slightly different than what most people use. I would guesstimate all but 2-3 users in the league run a form of 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 defense, in turn, every user faces those defenses weekly and knows how and where to attack it and where the weaknesses will be. If you do something even just a little different, in my case my 4-4 automatic check, you can give looks people haven't seen much and don't know how to react to. I've gotten so many interceptions just running my 4-2-5 to 4-4 check.

Of course, all of that said, defense is still hard as shit but there are some ways to get an edge.

I don't audible out much, but I use a few different looks from the 425 and 335 this season, with a 52/44 thrown in on obvious running downs that I can switch to the 335 if I get a look I don't like. Seemed to help me out against Louisville considering he kicked my teeth in the first time we played.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I don't audible out much, but I use a few different looks from the 425 and 335 this season, with a 52/44 thrown in on obvious running downs that I can switch to the 335 if I get a look I don't like. Seemed to help me out against Louisville considering he kicked my teeth in the first time we played.

The only reason I audible from 4-2-5 to 4-4 rather than just call it in the huddle is so I can leave my 5 DB personnel on the field. I leave the same 11 on the field all game, although I do typically shift DEs using packages so I get my quick DE to the wide side of the field.

4-4 to me is just another pass defense, but it doesn't have the same alignment issues 4-2-5 does. 4-2-5 doesn't align to trips well at all, which is when I go to 4-4 which usually gives me a CB over look.

Akecheta

The only reason I audible from 4-2-5 to 4-4 rather than just call it in the huddle is so I can leave my 5 DB personnel on the field. I leave the same 11 on the field all game, although I do typically shift DEs using packages so I get my quick DE to the wide side of the field.

4-4 to me is just another pass defense, but it doesn't have the same alignment issues 4-2-5 does. 4-2-5 doesn't align to trips well at all, which is when I go to 4-4 which usually gives me a CB over look.

I did the personnel substitutions by formations to start each season now. I get my extra DB's on the field still.

Walter323

@Walter323 Monday night still the plan? I won't be home until probably 8pm eastern tomorrow, hopefully that is fine. Will try to hustle up and make it a bit earlier.

yeah that sounds good. I have a football game but it is at home so that time should still work. I will @ you on here when im getting close

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Nebraska loses 24-17, the deciding score in the game a 32 yard touchdown run on a QB sneak. Not a QB Blast or QB Draw or QB Power or QB Zone... a QB sneak. Vs a bear front. That's absurd even for EA.

That game played as if there was no physics whatsoever. Players were just bouncing around like super balls. 118 of Georgia's 187 yards rushing came after first contact. Legit contact too, not like oops grazed you a little there. I was smashing the guy and getting steamrolled. My only rushing TD came on a play where I swear I broke 4 tackles. My back got hit, then hit again with the little strip ball animation, and then hit again and then just kind of stumbled around while everyone watched and then ran off into the end zone.

Not sure I've ever seen the game play that way, typically it is the reverse.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@Walter323 I assume you played some or all of that game with aggressive coach settings on offense? I am more than a little confused at how a 6'3" 242 pound WR, with 96 SPD and the highest receiver ratings I think I've ever seen, had SIX pancake blocks despite 60 RBK and 24 IBL. That typically only happens with aggressive blocking.

That felt like the Monstars vs the Looney Toons.

Walter323

Some reason my wr always have a lot of pancakes when I run that much.
I've never seen a game like that either. McGrew normally trucks people like when your safety filled the hole but not the bouncing stuff like tonight.
What play did you run out of the 46 bear on the qb sneak?

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Some reason my wr always have a lot of pancakes when I run that much.
I've never seen a game like that either. McGrew normally trucks people like when your safety filled the hole but not the bouncing stuff like tonight.
What play did you run out of the 46 bear on the qb sneak?

Base Cover 1, so should have been a 5 man rush with the 2 LB and 3 interior DL. One of the DL hit the QB but it was like tackling a greased pig and your QB just slipped right past. No clue what happened there. I've never seen that before. I've never even seen the QB keep his feet before vs that front, typically the game makes the QB just fall forward when you run sneak vs a heavy front precisely to stop that from happening.

I have no clue how your HB only got credited for 1 BTK. He was just bouncing off of everyone. My FS is probably the best tackler on my team (84 TAK, 90 Hit Power) and despite 11 solo tackles it felt like he was just getting truck sticked every time. I had 4 TFL registered by him alone and it felt like it should have been 10. I couldn't believe it. That Buck Sweep you ran running the clock out on your final drive was a perfect example, I strung it out perfectly, had my FS and help right there and everyone just bounced off and fell at the HBs feet. Even you seemed shocked because you took a few steps backwards with him.

That game was just nuts, never seen anything like that. That HB is elite across the board in terms of ratings but that was just silly. It was like Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders had a love child.

Your team as a whole just overmatched me at every position. My OL was getting blown off the ball on every play, pass blocking was MIA, I couldn't get blocks on the perimeter, I couldn't get off press, even when I did I dropped the ball. Only thing that kept it close was my pass defense and that lucky TD run where my back went superball on you for a change. Crazy game.