• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw gon' cook Week 6 thread presented by The HurryCane - Muh Freedom Edition

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
You dipshits do this every year. Who cares about any rankings until the end of the year? It will take care of itself.

Midseason rankings matter, doe. But I don't understand how Tennessee doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, especially coming from a Meatchicken fan.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Midseason rankings matter, doe. But I don't understand how Tennessee doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, especially coming from a Meatchicken fan.

LEACH-F-U.gif

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Well, you're not wrong, but Tennessee would be a borderline top 20 team if they played in any other conference. They've been shitty in every game, and they haven't played anybody decent. I'd take someone like Colorado or Nebraska over them.

You know I love to make fun of the Ess Eee See bias as much as anyone, but you're off your rocker here. There's no way in hell you'd rank those teams above Tennessee right now, and you'd be one of the morons that gets made fun of on Pollspeak if you did.

Ur reaching here, bro.

-YTC

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Texas A&M has Treva. Should be ranked #0. Top rank of the season and unassailable despite any losses they accrue.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
You know I love to make fun of the Ess Eee See bias as much as anyone, but you're off your rocker here. There's no way in hell you'd rank those teams above Tennessee right now, and you'd be one of the morons that gets made fun of on Pollspeak if you did.

Ur reaching here, bro.

-YTC

The only good game Tennessee has had is against Virginia Tech. They got extremely lucky to beat what is a shitty Georgia team. They easily could have lost to Ohio, App State, or Florida. They are this year's version of 2015 Northwestern. If they weren't playing vastly overrated teams in Georgia and Florida, they would be ranked somewhere between 15 and 20, which is much more reasonable.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
They beat 2015 Northwestern by 40 points which is part of why they were ranked #9 to start the season and where they are now after going 5-0. They play Florida, Georgia, aTm and Bama in consecutive weeks. Like I said, it will take care of itself. Keep on sperging over rankings though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It just chaps my ass to see half of the SEC teams in the polls basically be ranked way ahead of what they should be. Ole Miss at 14, for example, is insane. Florida at 18? Are you fucking kidding me? Put those teams with the exact same schedule in any other conference and they'd be in the receiving votes category, most likely.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I just don't understand why it matters so much to people. If Tennessee goes undefeated or 12-1 with a win over Bama in the SECCG, you really want to argue against them being deserving of a spot in the playoff? If they go 10-2 or 11-2 and are ranked #5-7 at the end of the year, who gives a shit if you think they should be #9? It's not like only SEC corches and only southern media vote on these polls, so if people are biased, whose fucking fault is it?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
That said, you're right that I should stop sperging about the polls. Eastern Michigan got a vote in the coaches poll this week. Eastern Michigan!

It definitely was not their coach, either...

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
The only good game Tennessee has had is against Virginia Tech. They got extremely lucky to beat what is a shitty Georgia team. They easily could have lost to Ohio, App State, or Florida. They are this year's version of 2015 Northwestern. If they weren't playing vastly overrated teams in Georgia and Florida, they would be ranked somewhere between 15 and 20, which is much more reasonable.

But you cited Colorado and Nebraska. Both of whom tout a victory over Oregon as their best victory. 2-3 Oregon, bruh...who could have easily beaten both schools, if we're playing the coulda woulda shoulda.

Colorado had one decent quarter against Michigan and a win over a less than .500 Oregon. Nebraska has a win over a less than .500 Oregon, and struggled to put away Northwestern.

I'm not saying that Tennessee or A&M are great, but somebody has to be in the top 10. They've got just as good (or better) of a reason/resume than just about everyone.

-YTC

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
That said, you're right that I should stop sperging about the polls. Eastern Michigan got a vote in the coaches poll this week. Eastern Michigan!

It definitely was not their coach, either...

Does Harbaugh have a vote?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yes, I am secretly wishing that Colorado is really good because that game scared the shit out of me for 2 and a half quarters. But they might just be the Pac 12 south favorite right now, and they will be the favorite if they beat USC. And they actually have a damn good team. Their secondary is really good, and their nose tackle is a first couple of rounds NFL pick. Jim Leavitt is a great defensive coordinator. Their offense runs so fast that they can put together a 5 play touchdown drive in about a minute if you get the wrong personnel out there. The real question is Montez the guy that's boat raced Oregon and Oregon State's defenses, or the guy who went 0-7 with negative rushing yards against Michigan? If Liufau comes back, I actually wouldn't hesitate calling them the Pac 12 south favorite.

That said you're right that I'm putting way too much stock into beating a shitty Oregon team. And really I just think Tennessee is an above average football team masquerading as a top 10 team because of a weak schedule and being in the SEC.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Yes, I am secretly wishing that Colorado is really good because that game scared the shit out of me for 2 and a half quarters. But they might just be the Pac 12 south favorite right now, and they will be the favorite if they beat USC. And they actually have a damn good team. Their secondary is really good, and their nose tackle is a first couple of rounds NFL pick. Jim Leavitt is a great defensive coordinator. Their offense runs so fast that they can put together a 5 play touchdown drive in about a minute if you get the wrong personnel out there. The real question is Montez the guy that's boat raced Oregon and Oregon State's defenses, or the guy who went 0-7 with negative rushing yards against Michigan? If Liufau comes back, I actually wouldn't hesitate calling them the Pac 12 south favorite.

That said you're right that I'm putting way too much stock into beating a shitty Oregon team. And really I just think Tennessee is an above average football team masquerading as a top 10 team because of a weak schedule and being in the SEC.
But Illinois is a better job.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

And I can't say that you are completely wrong. But I feel much better putting Tennessee in my top 10 right now than many, many, many other schools.

Hope I'm proven wrong starting this week, and they can begin their glorious march out of the top 25.

-YTC

Bdub

Colorado has yet to play anyone good. If they somehow win at USC on Saturday I will consider them a threat. In my mind UCLA is by far the favorite. Utah and Zona are decimated with injuries and ASU sucks. USC is looking good now but already has 2 conference losses.

Brick

oregon may start a true frosh at qb. about that upset pick...

i haven't been able to see the past two games, but prukop was fairly impressive against nebraska. he hasn't been spectacular, but certainly not poor. offense has not been the problem. i figured this might happen next week if oregon lost, because why start the senior who has no future with the program when the season is a lost cause? helfrich putting all his eggs in this basket if he does indeed start herbert. seems desperate.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Gus's is the truth tho

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I remember when Thursday night games were relevant and Jesse palmer wasn't having a fried chicken taste test in the booth mid first quarter. rip oldtopia live chats @bruin

Were Thursday night games ever that relevant, really? Or were we just college students with nothing better to do on a Thursday night?

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
The atmosphere at Carter Finley for Thursday night games was awesome. They used to mean something to me, maybe for a few years.

bruin

yes, before NFL games.

spot on.

still remember chatting with brick and @rollbama on a thursday night and them clowning me and calling me lames cause I was drinking SoCo or something. SC had Sanchez and Mike Riley and @gobeavs upset them. Dodgers also clinched a playoff berth that night so I was probably extra shittay.

bruin

you'd get a decent match up several weeks out of the season, or at least bigger programs.

True, but maybe the College game is realizing Friday night is the way to go and TNF is now the NFL's? SC and Washington playing on Friday's the last two weeks. Clemson tonight.

Last edited:

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
App State has got one of those classic Wednesday night Sun Belt games this coming week. Gives me something to do as a bored douchebag but can't imagine the town of Boone will love having to deal all that game traffic in the middle of the week.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
VT-UNC game going to be fun if it's in the rain. Fully expect a 0-0 tie that'll take five OTs for the CHOKIES shit the bed.