• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
The only way I argued the league should act more like MLB was extensions because players IRL act in their own self interest and that makes sense vs. how they acted in the game in previous versions. Over the last 3-4 versions of OOTP, the game is way, way better with that now.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The only way I argued the league should act more like MLB was extensions because players IRL act in their own self interest and that makes sense vs. how they acted in the game in previous versions. Over the last 3-4 versions of OOTP, the game is way, way better with that now.

I'm with NML too. Is there a way to auto handle it mid weeks? I think the large influx of injuries has to do with dealing with day-to-day injuries and there's more of a chance a guy playing with a day-to-day injury will get hurt than in previous versions.
It was more than that, but alas that was a long time ago...

Check your strategies and AI/manager controls. Maybe there is something there to handle injuries.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Is there a way to turn on automatic handling of injuries? Twice I've had a player pick up a day to day injury and then get a more severe injury before the end of the sim.
I have a feeling the injury was already severe because most of the time in those cases it says DTD, unknown. I'm not sure why though. We have the waiting period for injuries turned off.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I don't even know if it's implementable in this version of OOTP, but it changed the Alternating years IFA system (no signing guys over 400k if you go over the penalty) to a hard cap each year on spending for each team of like $5M (with no rolling penalty). They also allow trading pool space, but I definitely know that's not part of OOTP18.

I think it'd help us as one rich team can't just sign every lotto ticket IFA for 100k each and then also sign a big guy, they would have to choose. And basically any team that's tanking will have money to get at least one guy a year. Guessing the hard cap amount itself is negotiable, but I'd say anymore than like, 7.5M is overkill.

To me IFA as it is now is slowly bleeding the league out. Teams on top are also having consistent Top 5 systems (bear with me and assume I'm using that statement generally and not OSA) because of IFA, which they then use to retool when necessary. I would also be cool with the old MLB method of making the penalty period 2 years, not 1, but I think that hurts tanking teams too much.

More Info: http://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...ernational-signing-rules/#foGuPiXjKQorzKul.97

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
You should make a rule against signing 3 WAR average players to 250 Million dollar 10 year contracts if you want to get rid of the "unfair" advantage some of us have.

Having a hard time reading what you wrote with these TWO WS flags wrapped around my head. Also having a hard time seeing an issue with the 10 years when I've signed a ton of IFA talent without going full moron like some *cough*MongoLOLloyd*cough*@jdlikewhoa*cough*.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
/Checks standings, sees where Buffalo and False Bay ended up after their IFA excesses

Yep UNFAIR ADVANTAGE

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
How about bad teams get better? I had a $19m profit from last year and only got to keep $4m cash because of revenue sharing. Isn't that enough of a penalty?

TonyGin&Juice

How about bad teams get better? I had a $19m profit from last year and only got to keep $4m cash because of revenue sharing. Isn't that enough of a penalty?

How about we turn off the injuries so I'm not paying guys $25M to be dead in the prime of their careers?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I mean to me there are definitely 3 or 4 organizations that will never be bad. Part of that is they aren't ran by complete retards like me, but the main reason is because of IFA keeping the pipeline going (Even if those guys are eventually traded for a big leaguer, same thing). OU took more adderall than one human being should ever take in a night to figure out how to maintain some financial parity and not have Yankees and Cubs vs. Rays and A's in the league, but we've gotten away from that a tad. If we want to keep it that way that's cool I suppose. There will be some organizations (not naming names) that will stay in mediocrity for ever because they can't compete with the tankers (usually former big budget teams, like IST, AMD, FB right now) and they certainly can't compete in IFA when a big team has 50M in surplus budget and no need for free agents.

I'm open to other suggestions, even if it's something like keeping the rules but imposing a 20M hard cap each year with the penalties, or whatever.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm not talking about Istanbul or Buffalo at all, there are some organizations who will never be good if this doesn't get fixed or if they don't start hard tanking for one of the Top 3 picks. You don't find SP throwing sub 3 ERAs (dyson sphere aside) and Batters hitting 35+ HR with Pick 8 of the draft and one measly IFA prospect every two years, that's for sure.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm not talking about Istanbul or Buffalo at all, there are some organizations who will never be good if this doesn't get fixed or if they don't start hard tanking for one of the Top 3 picks. You don't find SP throwing sub 3 ERAs (dyson sphere aside) and Batters hitting 35+ HR with Pick 8 of the draft and one measly IFA prospect every two years, that's for sure.

The best part is you don't need either to win

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The best part is you don't need either to win
Who is the last team to even make the playoffs that hasn't either alternated spending 20M+ on IFA or tanked for a very long period of time? Buenos Aires, maybe?

I know what you mean, but it's not like I think this change will turn the world upside down, it's just something to even things out a little.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Who is the last team to even make the playoffs that hasn't either alternated spending 20M+ on IFA or tanked for a very long period of time? Buenos Aires, maybe?

I know what you mean, but it's not like I think this change will turn the world upside down, it's just something to even things out a little.

The only reason is because it's boring to go the doh route, but he never tanks does he?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
IFA have a pretty high fail rate though.
I agree. As Tony said, the risk is mitigated for the very high spending teams. The middle of the pack teams have to hope their one or two guys don't fail. I am proposing to add a little more risk to the high spenders so IFA isn't as sure of a thing.

If a team signs 8 IFA, say two big bonus guys and some smaller guys, and only two work out, that means every 6 years you're getting 6 contributors (assuming you don't trade anyone). That doesn't seem like a lot, and it's not absurd, but then you realize these teams now have 6 contributors and can trade all their 1st round picks knowing they're basically guaranteed a guy, so that gives them more (young) players to work with.

If we can find a number that takes that risk from say, 2 of 8 guys working out to 1 of 5, I think that'd accomplish what I'm after without removing IFA altogether or whatever.

TonyGin&Juice

Cairo. Moscow. Vegas and Borg to a lesser extent.

giphy.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Take a look at my return on IFA, lol. I've spent hundred and hundreds of millions of dollars in IFA and my best player ever is a CF who had good range and was a starter for a while despite hitting only .650 OPS. Now he's a 4th outfielder, lol. I'd have been way better off signing 40 year old free agents like Funk to big 1 year contracts (and that's what I've been doing lately). Anybody can win in this league, especially with the amount of high quality free agents available to anyone. You can fill a roster with 1-2 WAR guys for cheap every year. If you care to be competitive, it just takes consistency to build a strong financial base for your team. Once you have that base, you've got the flexibility to keep winning unless you act like a mongoloid and do stupid shit with ur money.

This game is basically a personal finance simulation.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

I mean I tanked once to reboot and have spent huge in IFA maybe 4-5 times ever.

There are lots of ways to win in the game... to think IFA is the only avenue is crazy. UK keeps winning almost purely on smart FA deals. For a while, people totally overvalued picks and you consistently turn them into good players via trades. To say "IFA is the only way to win" is nuts.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

I think ur confusing causation with correlation here, buddy. The teams who regularly make the playoffs are good because they have owners who give a fuck and are good with money. Those owners then spend their money in IFA because there isn't anything else to do but buy some lottery tickets.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

Hi.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Well I tanked a couple seasons and missed IFA as well. Ortiz has really been the only one to pan out and he didn't cost $20m. When I spent a lot recently it was to buy swedes. Doh just spends on quantity, which almost anyone can do when they are all $100k.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Take a look at my return on IFA, lol. I've spent hundred and hundreds of millions of dollars in IFA and my best player ever is a CF who had good range and was a starter for a while despite hitting only .650 OPS. Now he's a 4th outfielder, lol. I'd have been way better off signing 40 year old free agents like Funk to big 1 year contracts (and that's what I've been doing lately). Anybody can win in this league, especially with the amount of high quality free agents available to anyone. You can fill a roster with 1-2 WAR guys for cheap every year. If you care to be competitive, it just takes consistency to build a strong financial base for your team. Once you have that base, you've got the flexibility to keep winning unless you act like a mongoloid and do stupid shit with ur money.

This game is basically a personal finance simulation.

Says the guy with no flags