• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

Soonerfan09

Ur quote was "If it's such a drag to own a team, quit". That's @Wooly level fuckstick shit boss.

giphy.gif

Well, I disagree. And I stand by my quote.

NML

One thing you'll learn is that changing anything is VERY difficult. As some sort of proof, we had three proposals this offseason and zero passed.

It has less to do with uninterested owners and more to do with unexpected side effects - which the league has seen after a lot of years of experimentation.

Soonerfan09

One thing you'll learn is that changing anything is VERY difficult. As some sort of proof, we had three proposals this offseason and zero passed.

It has less to do with uninterested owners and more to do with unexpected side effects - which the league has seen after a lot of years of experimentation.
I actually do understand that, and I'm honestly not in favor of changing anything, which is why I didn't vote for anything. I do get a little irked at the "No changes because I don't want to invest anymore time than I already have to" posts. I get it, people have lives and there are some guys that have been in the league since the beginning that might just need a little break and all that. I get excited at the start of the season, so I guess it's just a little disheartening when others are going through their "rest" period.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Lol, it takes us 15 days to complete a draft. Owners take seasons off at a time. If it's such a drag to own a team, quit - That's my rule proposal.

Debate me skeletons

We've been doing this since you were in sim diapers.

I am the original WE'RE NEVER GONNA FINISH shtick mong but drafts linger because people have jobs.

Owners don't export often when they are tanking. Lolyd mongololyded for a few seasons but he's back. What other complaints do you have?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Changing things should be difficult though, right? After so many seasons pretty much everything has been discussed multiple times or has been tried. We are cautious to make large changes to the league that we haven't tried because it's pretty stable and we don't want to break something. Lots of things sound easy, but that doesn't mean they are easy to implement or maintain.

We do make changes, but the rule change thread is always a mess haha. I think the last change we made was extending the lamb to 7 games.

Soonerfan09

We've been doing this since you were in sim diapers.

I am the original WE'RE NEVER GONNA FINISH shtick mong but drafts linger because people have jobs.

Owners don't export often when they are tanking. Lolyd mongololyded for a few seasons but he's back. What other complaints do you have?
That I bought '18 under the impression that we were moving after ST, but one person whining about it shut it down.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I actually do understand that, and I'm honestly not in favor of changing anything, which is why I didn't vote for anything. I do get a little irked at the "No changes because I don't want to invest anymore time than I already have to" posts. I get it, people have lives and there are some guys that have been in the league since the beginning that might just need a little break and all that. I get excited at the start of the season, so I guess it's just a little disheartening when others are going through their "rest" period.
I think other people are excited too, but instead of bitching about perceived inactivity and telling people to quit why not try to start some activity like @NML did? He got a decent response to his post.

Wolfman21

lol, i've had two people say fuck you to me tonight....one of them is racist jar and the other is sooner who aligns himself with NML and Wooly

i'm on the right path baby

NML

lol, i've had two people say fuck you to me tonight....one of them is racist jar and the other is sooner who aligns himself with NML and Wooly

i'm on the right path baby

Why am I clumped in with wooly?

Soonerfan is good by me

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Wooly, nml, sooner....the next great triumvirate
:laughing: stop it. There can only be one wooly. NML is fine. He can be thin-skinned, but that's gotten a lot better. Soonerfan is a great owner. I think he is still mad at me about the logo. I'm sorry. I'm a little protective of my logos haha.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
soonerfan pooed on hisself, let him be.

we have tried rookie leagues and they were awful. I'd rather just do a rookie level tournament during February and ST.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
And I'd be doing that for every player that has a shot at being decent. I'd make more money on the ones that pan out than the ones that didn't cost me easy.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Please sign that contract, lol. You'd be overpaying that dummy for several years on the front end, taking all the risk of injury/bad dev updates for a decade... To potentially save some value on him in the last 5 years of the contract. The total $/WAR over his contract would likely be slightly lower, but you've taken so much risk.

I want this rule to end just so I can watch all of you idiots sign away all your $ flexibility.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Please sign that contract, lol. You'd be overpaying that dummy for several years on the front end, taking all the risk of injury/bad dev updates for a decade... To potentially save some value on him in the last 5 years of the contract. The total $/WAR over his contract would likely be slightly lower, but you've taken so much risk.

I can't, it's against the rules. I wouldn't do it for him though, it'd be for the guys a lot better.

And you're missing the whole point of doing a contract like this. Saving money is nice, but it's such a distant 2 on this list of reasons to do these contracts that it doesn't matter

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The game isn't calibrated to handle long extensions to guys with as little service time as him. It's gotten better (that would've been $1.2m/year back in OOTP 14-15) but it's still not good.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm still whatever about it at this point, I agree with Travis, that particular contract will be worse more times than it's good

doh

Let's just throw this hypothetical out there... I knew Rodriguez, Hernandez, Tamburrino, Kang, Gale and Mordasini by the time they came up would be very good players and worth similar deals to the Linge offer.

So let's just say I did 10/$40m deals (and I think you could do better) for them. That's $24m between the six. This year I'm spending $70.2m on their salaries. Next year it'll be at least $80m.

doh

I'm still whatever about it at this point, I agree with Travis, that particular contract will be worse more times than it's good
Let's say that you hit on 2 of 3 of those deals (which is a low % considering how low injuries are and how good the scouting in the game is)...you're still going to save tons of money.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
For comparison purposes....

This is Tovar's 5th full season in the WBL and he's just now hitting the $5M and was a better looking prospect
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_5865.html

2059 - (Partial season September Callup)
2060 - 490k
2061 - 490k
2062 - 490k
2063 - 3.75M
2064 - 5.25M

SUM = Roughly $10.5M for the first 5 seasons

You would pay ur dummy
2064 - 490k
2065 - 4.9M
2066 - 4.9M
2067 - 4.9M
2068 - 4.9M

SUM = Roughly 20.1M for the first 5 seasons

Now maybe you do more than make it up on the back end of the deal, but you've lost all your flexibility for a decade. Fucking go for it!

I want to see the OU GOD LIKE MIND BREAK THE LEAGUE!

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
For comparison purposes....

This is Tovar's 5th full season in the WBL and he's just now hitting the $5M and was a better looking prospect
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_5865.html

2059 - (Partial season September Callup)
2060 - 490k
2061 - 490k
2062 - 490k
2063 - 3.75M
2064 - 5.25M

SUM = Roughly $10.5M for the first 5 seasons

You would pay ur dummy
2064 - 490k
2065 - 4.9M
2066 - 4.9M
2067 - 4.9M
2068 - 4.9M

SUM = Roughly 20.1M for the first 5 seasons

Now maybe you do more than make it up on the back end of the deal, but you've lost all your flexibility for a decade. Fucking go for it!

I want to see the OU GOD LIKE MIND BREAK THE LEAGUE!

Again, not him. But it has nothing to do with the Tulips financial outlook, you're looking at this all wrong. I'm probably the only one that would even want to do this so this strategy would be a huge outlier (it takes 5-10 seasons just to start). You'd only do this for great prospects, whateverthefuck is average. I'd still sign him until he's 28 at $3m though, why not? 3m is what I was paying for shitty relievers on 1 year contracts when I was good.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I just don't see any downside to having the ability to sign a contract like that. You should get some benefit for locking away your financial flexibility for a decade.

1. It is perfectly realistic for a player to accept such great guaranteed money
and
2. It is a big risk for the team offering it, even for an elite prospect.

I've been playing this game for over a decade now and there are maybe 5 players I had in pre-arb that I would have liked to lock down LONG TERM, and 2 of them got crushed by injuries or downgrades.

doh

It's a long term play. You pay extra $10m the first six seasons to save $10m/year later in the deal.

I didn't do it back in 14-15 because I never got my financials right to be able to afford the extra early and wanted to compete so had to invest in FAs/trades. But once you wipe the slate clean and hit the reset button on salaries, you could build an incredible team plus spend huge in IFA plus spend big in scouting/devo.

The lack of injuries/huge hits to guys skills once they hit the league make it a minimal risk.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I just don't see any downside to having the ability to sign a contract like that. You should get some benefit for locking away your financial flexibility for a decade.

1. It is perfectly realistic for a player to accept such great guaranteed money
and
2. It is a big risk for the team offering it, even for an elite prospect.

Financial flexibility? This doesn't sign any of that away, at all. You could sign 10 of these and still have enough money to sign a whole 25man roster
Biggest shithead ever that is really talented, $5m.
4QXK5fr.png

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It's a long term play. You pay extra $10m the first six seasons to save $10m/year later in the deal.

I didn't do it back in 14-15 because I never got my financials right to be able to afford the extra early and wanted to compete so had to invest in FAs/trades. But once you wipe the slate clean and hit the reset button on salaries, you could build an incredible team plus spend huge in IFA plus spend big in scouting/devo.

The lack of injuries/huge hits to guys skills once they hit the league make it a minimal risk.
The guy always complaining about injuries thinks we don't have enough?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Locking away financial flexibility? :laughing:

Having flexibility is an incredibly important asset. It is hard to put a price on that, but it does have value. Look at the difference in how much cash is worth for a team who cant sign their 1st round pick vs how much it is worth to a team who just gave $30M to their owner.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I propose that we keep the rule for everyone but OU and then see how badly he breaks the league by signing retards with 0 service time to $50M contracts!

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Having flexibility is an incredibly important asset. It is hard to put a price on that, but it does have value. Look at the difference in how much cash is worth for a team who cant sign their 1st round pick vs how much it is worth to a team who just gave $30M to their owner.
Ok, but if you aren't a dummy $4-5m won't kill you.