• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

NML

Part of the reason-- I've won the most games in the league 7 times and never made a WS in one of those seasons (+2 more where 1 game out, I didn't).

The two ships I have were both 4th place finishes.

Baseball playoffs are a total crap shoot but I think we should reward teams for finishing 1st vs. 4th more.

I'd think that extra $30m you get each year would be enough

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
how many of those times were on 17 though? maybe it started in 16 but something changed on one one the versions that started this thing. if you want a bye that's fine but understand you'll still have the same chance of losing, so you just want one less series at that point. nothing gives the 1 seed an advantage aside from maybe more home games but even that is probably negligible.
I liked the old UBL set up of 2v3 and winner faces 1 but I don't think people will agree to less playoff teams.

There really isn't much you can do at this point. I think 4v5 game makes the regular season more interesting (top 3 means more). But the current set up is boring to me because there's no difference between 1-4.

NML

wat? Ur budget is almost completely based on regular season revenue. A team that sneaks into the playoffs in the 4 seed will not get a big budget increase the following season (if they get one at all).

Those consistent 1/2 seeds have budgets double the size of some teams

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I liked the old UBL set up of 2v3 and winner faces 1 but I don't think people will agree to less playoff teams.

There really isn't much you can do at this point. I think 4v5 game makes the regular season more interesting (top 3 means more). But the current set up is boring to me because there's no difference between 1-4.

But do you remember why we went with this setup at all? There were major issues that were bigger than what you're complaining about with that set up. It was fine for the ones who win all the time but it was much harder to move up in the world. There were GMs that got frustrated that there wasn't a real possibility to advance, when it's you, Quale and I all competing at the same time it's a lot harder to crack the playoffs.

I agree that whatever happened with the sim engine made the seeding pretty pointless, but adding more teams sounds stupid since we already allow half and taking teams away will introduce the problems we had that compromised the league in some ways.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
wat? Ur budget is almost completely based on regular season revenue. A team that sneaks into the playoffs in the 4 seed will not get a big budget increase the following season (if they get one at all).

Those consistent 1/2 seeds have budgets double the size of some teams

It's completely based on regular season revenue, so what good does that extra $30m playoff revenue do for anyone? You said that having it should be enough, but what is the benefit it gives you?

Or do you just mean regular season ticket sales for winning? Your comment is ambiguous.

NML

It's completely based on regular season revenue, so what good does that extra $30m playoff revenue do for anyone? You said that having it should be enough, but what is the benefit it gives you?

I'm not talking about playoff revenue, I'm tom bout how winning 100 games and being a 1 seed gives you a much bigger budget the following year vs winning 82 games and being the 4 (even if you win the WS).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm not talking about playoff revenue, I'm tom bout how winning 100 games and being a 1 seed gives you a much bigger budget the following year vs winning 82 games and being the 4 (even if you win the WS).

Yeah I figured that out while posting, that still doesn't matter though because the engine doesn't take into account talent. Talent used to matter more, good teams still lost but there was a better chance of talent winning out. I completely agree playoff seeds don't matter at all, and the budget size doesn't either.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Maybe it's confirmation bias, you guys on the other side are welcome to argue that and I'll listen but I saw a fundamental shift late in my commish run that made me feel the way @doh does right now. Also the budget change blew. I get why that's more realistic but it was more fun to see a tangible benefit to sticking around in the playoffs as long as possible without waiting for next season's ticket sales to come in.

As it stands your 1 seed doesn't pay off for 2 seasons. If you make it multiple times you get that roll and it's there every year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I couldn't disagree more about budget size. LV has a budget over $100m more than two teams, almost four.

It allows you to field much better regular season teams, but it doesn't mean anything for the post season even if you use it efficiently.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Part of the reason-- I've won the most games in the league 7 times and never made a WS in one of those seasons (+2 more where 1 game out, I didn't).

Baseball playoffs are a total crap shoot but I think we should reward teams for finishing 1st vs. 4th more.

Maybe ur a bad GM. You and Wooly screaming to change rules because you think you deserve a championship is hilarious.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

THERE IT IS! I was waiting for the classic Utopian argument.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
But yeah, there's no rule changes that will fix the idea that it's a crap shoot. It's the sim engine that does that, so either 18 is different, you deal with it, or you go.

The morale of the story is making your team the best it can be doesn't mean acquiring as much talent as you can. It means getting to the playoffs even if that's the 4th seed and not neglecting the farm like we used to be able to. It used to be possible to play a semi-steinbrenner style where you just had the best talent and could see a payoff from that. Now it's enough to just be there, even if your team is not near as talented you have just as good of a chance.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Doesn't mean anything? That's hyperbolic.

It means you get to go for sure instead of a possibility of missing the playoffs. Once the playoffs start it doesn't matter how good your team is. You either get lucky or you dont

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Yeah I figured that out while posting, that still doesn't matter though because the engine doesn't take into account talent. Talent used to matter more, good teams still lost but there was a better chance of talent winning out. I completely agree playoff seeds don't matter at all, and the budget size doesn't either.

This engine is more realistic than when you rattled off 10 in a row or whatever, do you even watch MLB paloffs bro?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
The morale of the story is making your team the best it can be doesn't mean acquiring as much talent as you can. It means getting to the playoffs even if that's the 4th seed and not neglecting the farm like we used to be able to. It used to be possible to play a semi-steinbrenner style where you just had the best talent and could see a payoff from that. Now it's enough to just be there, even if your team is not near as talented you have just as good of a chance.

Right, so... basically just like real MLB at this point.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This engine is more realistic than when you rattled off 10 in a row or whatever, do you even watch MLB paloffs bro?

Did I say it wasnt? I just said before the engine switch talent mattered more and it wasn't as much of a crap shoot. I won those 4-5 because half the league wasn't playing or tanking and it was orlando and I above the rest as far as talent went, so I beat him and won. Then the new engine came and the playoffs just flipped the whole game on its head. I didn't like that at the time because I didn't want switch up my whole style of play as I wasn't too interested. I'm fine with it but trying to build the most talented WBL team doesn't seem like the best or most efficient strategy at all anymore.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Lol. Nothing happened to the sim engine. Those Dam teams were just a lot better than anyone else. We found wooly's precious parity and now people are mad about it?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Lol. Nothing happened to the sim engine. Those Dam teams were just a lot better than anyone else. We found wooly's precious parity and now people are mad about it?

You and I have had a lot of discussions about how it changed but nothing happened? HMMMMMMMM

NML

It means you get to go for sure instead of a possibility of missing the playoffs. Once the playoffs start it doesn't matter how good your team is. You either get lucky or you dont

It does matter - but being better doesn't guarantee you win, and winning more regular season games doesn't mean ur "better," either.

What kind of depth will a team with $100m have vs a team with $190m?

Just as an example, I think it was Wooly who had Montes for like $10m to be a backup catcher. I have him for $8m as my starter putting up over 3 WARS WON and I'm not sure I can afford him.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Agreed.

It would be good to have something to play for other than just getting to the playoffs. Home field doesn't mean much in the WBL, so seeding doesn't matter much. Just making the playoffs is too easy as it is, with so many teams tanking at any given time, and many others barely managed. We have 18 teams, but something like 8 of them are trying in any given year, while another 5 or so are actively trying to lose every game. Getting a bye for the 1-2 seeds would make the season more meaningful, and give some incentive to building the best team you can.

Maybe you should join another league. No byes, this isn't foozbawl.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You and I have had a lot of discussions about how it changed but nothing happened? HMMMMMMMM
Are we just tom bout the live sim engine? Then I misunderstood. But we haven't used that for a few seasons now. Your teams were just insane even compared to mine back then. We haven't had talent gap like that in a very long time. The talent in general went down at that time as well.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
The point I'm trying to make is realistic or not, MLB modeling or not, the playoffs feel like a crap shoot. Maybe they don't to some of you but they do to me. So I acknowledge doh and wooly on that point and I agree.

But on the prospect of rule changes to fix or help that idea nothing will help. 3 playoff teams was already tight before we expanded and I feel like it's better for the health of the league to keep it at 4. It allows more parity (@Wooly) and it allows teams to slide up and down the ladder.

What makes it feel like a crap shoot is just the sim engine playing out, the only thing you can really do is stop trying to win 120 games

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Are we just tom bout the live sim engine? Then I misunderstood. But we haven't used that for a few seasons now. Your teams were just insane even compared to mine back then. We haven't had talent gap like that in a very long time. The talent in general went down at that time as well.

I'm talking about the 3/4 seeds winning, especially the 4s. Did they stop? It seems like it's the same whether you live sim or sim regularly to me.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm talking about the 3/4 seeds winning, especially the 4s. Did they stop? It seems like it's the same whether you live sim or sim regularly to me.
Why shouldn't they be winning? The talent gap is small. 4's were shit this year and lost. Vegas won 4-1 haha.

I won 2 out of 3 as a 2-seed and the year I was a 4-seed and won I won 102 games which was more than both 2 seeds I had :laughing:

TonyGin&Juice

I like how nobody is talking about the important thing here - there's a team with talent that's on Otto with no owner and no prospect of an owner. All of these rule changes to placate an Aspie and a Win Hound isn't going to improve things. Limiting teams in the playoffs? Horrible idea. Bye weeks? Go play simulation foozbawl. What next, relegation to AAA for teams that tank for more than a season?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It does matter - but being better doesn't guarantee you win, and winning more regular season games doesn't mean ur "better," either.

What kind of depth will a team with $100m have vs a team with $190m?

Just as an example, I think it was Wooly who had Montes for like $10m to be a backup catcher. I have him for $8m as my starter putting up over 3 WARS WON and I'm not sure I can afford him.

Doesn't matter, having more talent doesn't give you an edge over the competition in a 7 game series so just have competent guys and you're set. And for some reason the competent guys make it more often. How many times has a 1 seed won the last decade? I see quale is a possibility in 2060 but I'm assuming those low 90s win teams weren't #1s.

It just seems really dumb to try and spend on talent now, and by that I mean the way I used to and doh and wooly are now.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
The point I'm trying to make is realistic or not, MLB modeling or not, the playoffs feel like a crap shoot. Maybe they don't to some of you but they do to me. So I acknowledge doh and wooly on that point and I agree.

IMO, they are just like MLB and other levels of baseball. It's not a complete crapshoot. For example, there are reasons the Giants often do well in the playoffs despite often being a wildcard team, and there are reasons the Nats have crapped the bed repeatedly despite being a 90+ win team.

That said, baseball playoffs are much more unpredictable and volatile than any other pro sport.

You would think @doh would get this as an SF fan, but he's too busy trying to stack the deck in his favor apparently.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If you have the money why not spend it I guess? The talent might not matter in the playoffs, but I think NML is trying to say that being a playoff lock is different than being a middle-three team.

TonyGin&Juice

You can throw the Cardinals in there as well. Really, the only MLB team that was tough all season and in the playoffs in recent years were the 2009 Yankees.

TonyGin&Juice

If you have the money why not spend it I guess? The talent might not matter in the playoffs, but I think NML is trying to say that being a playoff lock is different than being a middle-three team.

Guys will still not sign with a bad team for more money if a top team makes an offer. That's never changed and shouldn't since it legit happens in MLB all the time.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Why shouldn't they be winning? The talent gap is small. 4's were shit this year and lost. Vegas won 4-1 haha.

I won 2 out of 3 as a 2-seed and the year I was a 4-seed and won I won 102 games which was more than both 2 seeds I had :laughing:

So let me try to clarify here since I'm confused. You thought they won more than they used to but only in live sims and simultaneously also think they don't win more often overall?

I'll just let it be, but whatever version (16 or 17) that we both agreed something changed way back, talent seemed to matter less while just making it to the playoffs mattered more.

There is no reason to try for the 1 seed, it's as good as the 4 in terms of winning the playoffs. And I do feel there is a talent discrepancy most years from the 1 and the 4 or even the 1 and the 3.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
IMO, they are just like MLB and other levels of baseball. It's not a complete crapshoot. For example, there are reasons the Giants often do well in the playoffs despite often being a wildcard team, and there are reasons the Nats have crapped the bed repeatedly despite being a 90+ win team.

Baseball playoffs are much more unpredictable and volatile than any other pro sport.

You would think @doh would get this as an SF fan, but he's too busy trying to stack the deck in his favor apparently.
I would argue lots of the Giants success has to do with Bochy.

No I just think the current set up is boring and doesn't give teams a reason to care the last few sims.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

I'd rather spend the money now on IFA/dev/scout budgets. Much more than I thought used to be worth it. I think that's a better use than trying to be a playoff lock.

TonyGin&Juice

No I just think the current set up is boring and doesn't give teams a reason to care the last few sims.

Do you watch baseball? Have seen some of the BUMS teams that are out of it trot out in September? By the same token, have you seen some of the guys that get major playing time in September on teams that are a playoff lock? They Yankees had guys that are hanging sheet rock now playing in the OF and C in September 2009.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

That said, baseball playoffs are much more unpredictable and volatile than any other pro sport.

Again that may be true I never said it wasn't. I just said talent used to matter more in my opinion. If I had extra money i'd build depth back then whereas now I don't think that's the best use. I think spending on the budgets and focusing on keeping payroll low to hit IFA is a much better use than trying to put together great teams. That's a huge shift from when I was actively building even after my run when more GMs started being active.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

DO DA TEAMS HAVE DA CARE ON THE HEART?

Advocate for a change that doesn't directly benefit your OOTP strategy for once.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
A big reason I think it doesn't matter is because of the revenue not being used from the playoffs. Even if it just added 50% to the following year's budget or something it'd make it worth while to get the 1 seed. You'd see tangible benefits from those home games even if you lost. I think, I'm not sure how the money is split now.

TonyGin&Juice

A big reason I think it doesn't matter is because of the revenue not being used from the playoffs. Even if it just added 50% to the following year's budget or something it'd make it worth while to get the 1 seed. You'd see tangible benefits from those home games even if you lost. I think, I'm not sure how the money is split now.

How many #1 seeds over the years haven't had a budget over $160M?