• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
583699.jpg

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
No seriously who was that guy who scored the first goal

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
From San Francisco... was at West Ham forever and never played. Played for Galaxy the last couple years. Pretty good player actually.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
So we made up our awful goal differential and we can get back into the automatic qualifying spots by beating Panama. Not too shabby.

Panama away will be a much bigger test for Arena. I think they can do it, but away games in the Hex are always tough.

Snorky's Shame

So CONCACAF wants to do a tournament where all the teams play each other like the UEFA Nations League. Basically this means a friendly with Brazil or Germany gets replaced with a game against Belize.

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

Great way to destroy CONCACAF.

doh

I wouldn't mind it if it replaced the Gold Cup (and like the UEFA one was based on levels so we'd play home/home with Costa Rica/Mexico/whoever is 4th at this point)... but I'm sure they'll keep Gold Cup every other year and try to steal every single dime they can.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Yeah, that is extremely lame. CONCACAF is nowhere near strong enough to justify that for the bigger teams.

In other news, the U.S., Canada, and Mexico officially announced their intention to jointly host the 2026 World Cup. We could do it on our own but whatevs.

doh

So CONCACAF wants to do a tournament where all the teams play each other like the UEFA Nations League. Basically this means a friendly with Brazil or Germany gets replaced with a game against Belize.

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

Great way to destroy CONCACAF.
If it's set up like UEFA's the US will never play Belize. I think more competitive matches vs. Mexico/CR isn't really a bad thing. I think it'd be better than playing the Gold Cup group matches.

I'd rather face Brazil or Germany (although that might be really hard to book them now) but playing Mexico in matches that matter more often wouldn't be a bad thing.

One more thing... these are the teams we've had friendlies with since start of last year:
Iceland
Canada
Puerto Rico
Ecuador
Bolivia
Cuba
New Zealand
Serbia
Jamaica
Venezuela
Ghana

Would you rather play them in a friendly or Mexico/CR in a match that "matters"?

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

Fair point.

I think the United States will be playing the same subset of 6-8 teams though and I think we'll get sick of this tournament by the 4th or 5th iteration of this.

I'd rather just have the CFU split from CONCACAF and have a CONMEBOL-Style WCQ.

As for the WCQ bid, looks like Canada and Mexico will host 10 games from 2 cities each. Definitely Toronto, Vancouver and Mexico City will get games and either Guadalajara or Monterrey as well. Looks like the United States gets twelve venues.

EDIT: It should also be noted that the United States and Mexico probably won't be meeting in qualifying anymore with 6 teams getting in. Just something else to think about.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm cool with the joint bid. Makes us the odds on favorites to get it but Canada definitely deserved one too. Azteca is a decent enough venue to host for a 3rd time I guess.

Of course, the bid will lose to Egypt, but it's a nice thought at least.

NML

Josh Sargent looks as good as any youth striker I've ever seen us produce. He's not as physical as Jozy was at this age, but he technically blows him out of the water.

NML

US get New Zealand in the round of 16, and either Japan or Venezuela in the quarters if they advance. Couldn't ask for much more than that.

CCV out doe

NML

U20's round of 16 game on right now. Three suspensions so they switched to a 4-4-2 and it's been rough so far

NML

Went from nail biter to 3-0 real fast

US forwards are great. All three playing have a goal

NML

Yep. Obviously the top person missing is Pulisic. Haji Wright (who would've been our starting forward) wasn't released from Schalke because he had the youth cup final or something (in which he scored twice, I believe). His teammate, Weston McKennie wasn't either. Gedion Zelalem got injuried in the first game.

To be fair, this tournament does nothing for Pulisic. And New Zealand is terrible - they scored three goals against Honduras and zero in the other three games.

All things equal they'd have a good shot against Venezuela, but for some reason they get an extra two days rest. Which I suppose makes sense for some reason other than "to fuck the US over" but I don't know what it is. Three starters didn't play today because of suspension so that helps some.

NML

It's also worth mentioning that we've been the quarterfinals in two straight U20 WCs, only other country to do that is Portugal.

I feel pretty comfortable saying this team is better than last time. Three of the starters on that team are back (CCV, Zelalem, EPB). That team may have had better top talent - Miazga, Acosta, and Hyndman have all been around the full team already - but the depth on this squad is way better.

NML

JFC the U20 game is at 2am? Plus the MNT play at 10pm?

I might try and stay up. Maybe we can sneak a turkey run in there too