• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Travis7401's North Dakota riggers Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
This Fred dude @OU11 has seems good.... I'm disappointed he doesn't go by just "Fred."

So can you all help me decipher how these ratings transfer to gameplay? Most of the ratings are pretty obvious but some of the pitching/hitting ratings seem to have some overlap in how I would imagine they apply. I'll describe how I viewed them and you let me know if I'm right/wrong.

Hitting:
Contact - Trog hit ball
Gap - Trog hit ball to good spot (extra bases)
Power - Trog Hit ball hard over fence
Eye - Trog tell ball from strike
Avoid Ks- Trog not strike out

To me it would seem like Eye/Contact/Avoid Ks would all kind of describe the same sort of thing?

Pitching:
Stuff - Trog throw several different types of pitches
Movement - Trog throw pitches that move a lot
Control - Trog have good control of strike zone (being able to pick spots and work the edges of strike zone).

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
This is very simplified but,
Contact = Hits
Eye = Walks
Avoid K = less strike outs, but not necessarily more hits

Stuff = Strike outs
Movement = ground balls
Control = walks

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
My master plan was to trade @Reel all of my best prospects for a song, then intentionally tank hard AF to get then #1 pick then draft some shithead and name him Blake Bortles. Unfortunately, that plan has a few holes in it. HMMMMMM, foiled again.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
What are the active roster sizes for each level of your organization? Excuse the ignorance here, but I'm only a very casual baseball non-fan and so I only know a few basics about the sport and probably half of that is wrong.

I currently have an active roster limit of 40 players, which is the same as the 40 man roster. I assume this is an end of the season thing? Isn't a typical baseball roster 25 players?

My active team has 40 players currently
My AAA team has 30 players currently
My AA team has 25 players currently
My A team has 37 players

I have 3 players on the DL
I have 6 players listed as "cleared waivers" how do these players fit in?

In soccer you can have players set as "available" for multiple teams so that they can appear as a sub for team A and as a starter for team B to get extra playing time, does it work the same way in baseball or do you have to call them up/down for each specific appearance? Are there limits on when/how often you can call up/down.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The ratings from OSA and my scout (Named Hamilton, lol) differ fairly significantly on younger players. Is one generally more trustworthy than the other? Does my scout have judgement ratings like in FM that would clue me in to if he's accurate or full of shit? Would one be better than the other for current vs potential ratings?

Last edited:

Wolfman21

The ratings from OSA and my scout (Named Hamilton, lol) differ fairly significantly on younger players. Is one generally more trustworthy than the other? Does my scout have judgement ratings like in FM that would clue me in to if he's accurate or full of shit?

It's a crap shoot IMO. I feel like my scout is right more often, but they both miss their fair share.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
What is the best way to export tables to EXCEL? I like to save snapshots in time to another database for comparison to see improvement or things I can change year over year.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Typical Major roster is 25. You have a 40-man roster that acts as a seperate thing. This is going to get kinda complex so stay with me

During every month but September (actual day varies from year to year, check the calendar) you can only have 25 guys on your team at once, during the last month your rosters expand to 40 so you can call up young guys and experiment and whatnot.

A player on your 40-Man uses "Options" to move between the Majors and the Minors. Essentially the 15 not on your 25 man (you can have less than 40 people if you like) are used to rotate for injuries or if someone is stinking the bed. Every player gets 3 option years where they can move between the majors and the minors without needing to pass through waivers first. Usually these are used up during a player's youth but you can check their contract status for more info on individual players. A player who has never been on the 40-man/majors has not used any of his options.

There are two types of DL, 15-day and 60-day. 15-day DL does not take a player off the 40-man, while 60 day does. So if you have a guy out for a year with TJ, he isn't taking up a roster spot from your 40-man provided he is on the 60-day dl.

If a player has cleared waivers he can be assigned to your minors without an option. The menus can be kinda wonky so sometimes they will already have been and they're still on that list.

DFA, or Designated for Assignment, allows players a limbo period (I dont remember what our league rule is) where you can choose to waive them or send them to minors (Again, cant send them to minors if they have no options.

Ask @Gooksta about excel I think he used it once or twice

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I have a long term goal to build my farm team to "top 4." What is this rating based on? Standings for AAA, AA, A? A combination?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I use osa. Everybody will have a different idea about which is better.

For spring training and the final month of the season the roster size for wbl is 40, for the rest of the time it is 25. No roster sizes for aaa aa or a because people dont follow it if i put limits.

Its best to keep aaa and aa around 30 so everybody can get reps. Single A can have 35-40

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I want to give @NML a shout out for at least keeping the budgets relatively balanced (though constantly declining) through his reign of terror. Revenue/expenses have literally been halved in 10 years but they are still pretty balanced. So strange. Is there a way I can compare this to other teams in the league so I can see what horrible fiscal situation @Reel is in to make myself feel better?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Well, ma'boss seems to want a top 4 farm team :laughing: I want to keep the big man happy.
Making him money keeps him the most happy. In the email you get about goals, your owner will tell you all those goals come second to making money haha.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I want to give @NML a shout out for at least keeping the budgets relatively balanced (though constantly declining) through his reign of terror. Revenue/expenses have literally been halved in 10 years but they are still pretty balanced. So strange. Is there a way I can compare this to other teams in the league so I can see what horrible fiscal situation @Reel is in to make myself feel better?
History section. Go to your team, info, history and play around in that

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I notice that a lot of the budgetary sliders appear to be frozen/greyed out. Is that an offseason thing or a league restriction?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Why are the OVR and POT ratings in fucking stars instead of 20-80?

Stars are compared to position, 20-80 is the overall system. So the stars tell you how good they can be compared to players at that position

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Stars are compared to position, 20-80 is the overall system. So the stars tell you how good they can be compared to players at that position

So what would an "average" player in the main league be in stars? How many players get 4 stars or 1 star? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU This sucks. If this is a 5 star system with "half stars" then it is just an arbitrary as fuck 1-10 rating scale that sucks. I hate this shit.

The whole point of the 20-80 system is that it is supposed to be based on standard deviations within a normal distribution for a population. As a stats nerd, I get to understand what this means and there is nothing arbitrary about it. I know what percentage of the player population falls between 40 and 60 ratings (1 standard dev) what percentage falls between 30 and 70 (2 standard devs) and what percentage falls between 20 and 80 (3 standard devs). This makes sense. This is why I bought the game.

ARE YOU TELLING ME MY DREAM RATING SYSTEM IS FUBAR'D WITH ME HAVING TO LOOK AT STARS? STARS?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
as a non rant, I'm really just asking what star rating for "Terrible" "Bad" "average" "good" and "all star" level players would be in stars. Because if it is 1-5 in that order, then 80% of my roster is "terrible"

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So what would an "average" player in the main league be in stars? How many players get 4 stars or 1 star? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU This sucks. If this is a 5 star system with "half stars" then it is just an arbitrary as fuck 1-10 rating scale that sucks. I hate this shit.

The whole point of the 20-80 system is that it is supposed to be based on standard deviations within a normal distribution for a population. As a stats nerd, I get to understand what this means and there is nothing arbitrary about it. I know what percentage of the player population falls between 40 and 60 ratings (1 standard dev) what percentage falls between 30 and 70 (2 standard devs) and what percentage falls between 20 and 80 (3 standard devs). This makes sense. This is why I bought the game.

ARE YOU TELLING ME MY DREAM RATING SYSTEM IS FUBAR'D WITH ME HAVING TO LOOK AT STARS? STARS?

I don't know, the 5 star system is position specific. A player could be a 3* CF but a 4* RF or vice versa.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
as a non rant, I'm really just asking what star rating for "Terrible" "Bad" "average" "good" and "all star" level players would be in stars. Because if it is 1-5 in that order, then 80% of my roster is "terrible"

Again stars are position specific. It is something rating generally how good your position player is compared to the league's players at that position. Stars don't mean much. It's eye candy. Ratings are what determines how they perform. Of course what you see are what OSA or your scout says their ratings are. Could be different.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
What are the free agency/contract extension deadlines that I need to be aware of heading into the 2049 season? I see I have about the most players in the league scheduled for Free agency. Most of them I'm prolly gonna let go, but there are a few I'd like to at least look at signing. Still evaluating my roster and trying to unfuck it from CPU control shenanigans. Either the CPU or NML decided he wanted to collect like a dozen old ass slow 1B and then start them all over the midfield.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
What are the free agency/contract extension deadlines that I need to be aware of heading into the 2049 season? I see I have about the most players in the league scheduled for Free agency. Most of them I'm prolly gonna let go, but there are a few I'd like to at least look at signing. Still evaluating my roster and trying to unfuck it from CPU control shenanigans. Either the CPU or NML decided he wanted to collect like a dozen old ass slow 1B and then start them all over the midfield.

I'll be putting out a detailed schedule after the playoffs. But basically you have a day or two to extend guys. If we finish the playoffs today (we should) it'll be roughly this

Rest of today into tomorrow (probably around 5ish) we'll have extensions/arbitration. This is where you sign guys you don't want to go into free agency. When I sim here I'll sim to December to get to hall of fame voting
Tomorrow night at 10pm or 11pm CST, we'll sim to preseason after finishing the HoF voting.

In preseason you'll sign free agents and international free agents. We sim 3 days at a time for 15-21 in-game days (so 5ish real life days) and then go 5 days at a time to get to spring training. Spring training is two sims (15 in game days each) and then we start our 2049 season. One week sims each day from then on until the playoffs.

ZackMills

Have mercy
Is this the noob thread?

Are stamina ratings across pitching roles created equal? Is a RP whose stamina rating is 80 the exact same as a SP whose stamina rating is 80? Or his that RP just a reliever who is a candidate to spot start here and there?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Stamuna is consistent, an 80 stamina closer can pitch 9 innings but won't. I believe the only thing to vary is stuff between the rotation and the pen

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Is this the noob thread?

Are stamina ratings across pitching roles created equal? Is a RP whose stamina rating is 80 the exact same as a SP whose stamina rating is 80? Or his that RP just a reliever who is a candidate to spot start here and there?
Stamina is not connected to role.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Alright, I'm back from fishing and looking to dive into this again. What do I need to do in the short term to get through this offseason task wise?