• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sugar Bowl

Lightningwar

Administrator
Be careful for what you wish. Nebraska, Tenn, and Michigan wished for new coaching regimes. All three have been irrelevant for the better part of a decade.

PSUEagle

For an offense that put up 35 points, there sure were a lot of mystifying in game decisions by Kiffin. The standard cliche about him being too cute is totally valid here: no way their running backs should have only had 23 caries with how they were pounding the ball. Not to mention that their QB was playing really poorly. I get wanting to throw short stuff to try to get him in rhythm, but they got away from what was working.

Speaking of Sims, he's not very good IMO: amazing that his stats were what they were going in. This definitely wasn't a vintage Alabama team at all, but they managed to squeak through a down SEC this year (and the conference was down, despite what the pollsters said). The Alabama secondary isn't the veteran, NFL loaded unit of years past, and it showed all year and finally cost them.

I have to disagree with Ohio State throwing the ball at the end: IMO with two timeouts and the ball near midfield you run three times and punt and play defense. With the way Sims was throwing the ball, put it on your defense and make him drive a long field (at least 80 yards probably) with zero timeouts. I'm all for being aggressive, but that wasn't the right play there.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
For an offense that put up 35 points, there sure were a lot of mystifying in game decisions by Kiffin. The standard cliche about him being too cute is totally valid here: no way their running backs should have only had 23 caries with how they were pounding the ball. Not to mention that their QB was playing really poorly. I get wanting to throw short stuff to try to get him in rhythm, but they got away from what was working.

Speaking of Sims, he's not very good IMO: amazing that his stats were what they were going in. This definitely wasn't a vintage Alabama team at all, but they managed to squeak through a down SEC this year (and the conference was down, despite what the pollsters said). The Alabama secondary isn't the veteran, NFL loaded unit of years past, and it showed all year and finally cost them.

I have to disagree with Ohio State throwing the ball at the end: IMO with two timeouts and the ball near midfield you run three times and punt and play defense. With the way Sims was throwing the ball, put it on your defense and make him drive a long field (at least 80 yards probably) with zero timeouts. I'm all for being aggressive, but that wasn't the right play there.

Best analysis of Bama I've heard all year. Spoken like a true coach.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Bama only ran the ball 23 times?

Jeebus.

Amazing, right? And they were ahead the while first half and early in the second - so why aren't you pounding the ball with your giant O-line and your giant running backs? Especially when your QB is not at his best? Kiffin might be calling the plays, but I'm pretty sure that Saban can overrule him.

Brick

that's what i mean mang. too concerned with balance, not concerned enough with repeatedly stomping on the D. 36 passes and 34 runs. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

PSUEagle

that's what i mean mang. too concerned with balance, not concerned enough with repeatedly stomping on the D. 36 passes and 34 runs. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

At least six of those runs were scrambles by Sims FWIW.

I don't think Kiffin called so many passes because he cares about balance: I think he wanted to try to get Sims in rhythm with easy stuff because he felt like he'd need to throw the ball eventually. Like I said I sort of see the logic, but they short circuited at least two drives prematurely by throwing the ball on 2nd and 3rd and shorts when a couple runs would have kept the possession going. Andy Reid has this problem as a play caller, too, FWIW only he takes it to the extreme.

Like I said not a good game from him: despite the overall point total it's easily the worst game I've seen him call since at least Notre Dame 2012.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Dear Paul Bryant, Junior:

That's for killing UAB football for good this year. No national shampship for j00!

Signed,

The Hachiko.