• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Recently fooling around with NCAA again and have made at least a dozen playbooks in the last week to go back and see which formations and styles are most effective. Pro style is still a PITA to get a consistent run game. Air raid is ok. Spread option is too generic. Flexbone style offenses can't block odd fronts to save their lives.

My findings:
Wing T and Spread-I style offenses are the most effective. I made a Wing T book that was a mix of pistol and shotgun with a lot of empty jet series.

The Spread-I is even better because it can be run against even and odd fronts without a large playbook. I just have all the TE lead formations, split slot, spread, and trio. Last game had over 300 rushing yards using a mix of iso/zone/power/counter and option plays. I also have the jet series to stop defenses that have pinched even fronts (two inside shades over the guards). This is really the way the under center I should work, but it doesn't. I have a total of 10 formations, I think, and follow Paul Johnson's if/then rules for running the ball. 10 personnel is air raid mixed with the jet series (including triple/load option).

CoachTuck

I'm heading in the same direction with my spread more spread I looks I don't know which of the h-back formations I truly want to include yet I wish the passing game from it was a little more fleshed out some Smash would definitely be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY_KIA31

Well hello :)

Been getting into playing OD again recently...someone finally roped me into coming back lol. I inherited a pretty decent year 3 ND Squad. I still have Malik Zaire and Greg Bryant. Honestly it has been hard to get back into it..Madden 15 is just so much better..but I love my college ball. Been doing an offline G-Tech Dynasty running P-J Spread Option.

In this OD, Im running the Gus Bus. Stock Auburn playbook...no desire to build a custom one...I just base out of primarily

Normal Wing Offset/Flex Wing/Offset Weak
Wing Offset/Offset Weak
F Twins Over

And try to get a wing-t series style rhythm going..and branch out to Spread Flex, Wing trips/trio

With all of the tail and jet motion going on,that eliminates no huddle..since that will cause plays to bork out....but Ive always run my offenses more efficiently without a heavy dose of no huddle so that suits me just fine.

Lots of dive, Jet Jet option, Wing Iso, Jet Read, Motion Read, Fake Jet Keep, and Play action Jet/Read/ Bubble, WR screen, with just enough of inverted veer/pa inverted veer in there (every now and then inverted veer pops, and it looks rather neat when it does.)..and then 5 wide and spread/spread flex /trio 4 WR...when and if I want to open up the passing game. Pretty stream lined, and I like the rhythm to it.

NY_KIA31

I just had the exact kind of hell game in my offline G-Tech dynasty out of the flexbone, which drives people to say "go to hell CPU, Im running Pistol Zone Split, Pistol Lead Option 30 times, and throw nothing but Slant, Shallow Cross, 4 verts, slip screen ".

The CPU simply decided that the offense was not going to be allowed to function..and of course, with Yr 2 G-Tech personnel, throwing out of that playbook more than 10-12 times is just utter hell. Normally, if I am deep into dynasty mode, and have my own personnel in there, I can tell the CPU to go to hell and turn the offense into a 100% under center run and shoot. Unfortunately, I had no other alternative this time, other than to try to fight through the AI sodomy as best I can.

jonsapp7487

Kia if you guys have any openings in that dynasty I would like in. Its hard to find a good online dynasty. My gt is Noles Run Wild

NY_KIA31

Wow..holy rust.

1st user game in 2 years..all kinds of mistakes as I basically didnt remember all of the quirky timing that you need to put on throws to beat the god damn route mirrors. When my memory began to click, I was able to rally and almost pull out the W.

Other than that, The tail/trail motion Wing-T stuff worked damn well. Need to pop the jet sweet a little bit more to make users respect that the guy WILL get the ball. Keeps them from ganging up in the A gaps for the Dive and Fake Jet-QB Power.

fanoftgame

Well hello :)

Been getting into playing OD again recently...someone finally roped me into coming back lol. I inherited a pretty decent year 3 ND Squad. I still have Malik Zaire and Greg Bryant. Honestly it has been hard to get back into it..Madden 15 is just so much better..but I love my college ball. Been doing an offline G-Tech Dynasty running P-J Spread Option.

In this OD, Im running the Gus Bus. Stock Auburn playbook...no desire to build a custom one...I just base out of primarily

Normal Wing Offset/Flex Wing/Offset Weak
Wing Offset/Offset Weak
F Twins Over

And try to get a wing-t series style rhythm going..and branch out to Spread Flex, Wing trips/trio

With all of the tail and jet motion going on,that eliminates no huddle..since that will cause plays to bork out....but Ive always run my offenses more efficiently without a heavy dose of no huddle so that suits me just fine.

Lots of dive, Jet Jet option, Wing Iso, Jet Read, Motion Read, Fake Jet Keep, and Play action Jet/Read/ Bubble, WR screen, with just enough of inverted veer/pa inverted veer in there (every now and then inverted veer pops, and it looks rather neat when it does.)..and then 5 wide and spread/spread flex /trio 4 WR...when and if I want to open up the passing game. Pretty stream lined, and I like the rhythm to it.

Can you do a video on your thought process while doing this?

Atmore

I just getting back into playing again and been reading through threads. I seen many mentions of Inside Zone Runs and Outside Zone Runs. I would think an outside zone run would be a stretch play but What would be an inside zone run and outside zone runs(say from Shotgun)? I know pistol has some plays called "Zone" something but just trying to get a better idea from the game and how they are used.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I just getting back into playing again and been reading through threads. I seen many mentions of Inside Zone Runs and Outside Zone Runs. I would think an outside zone run would be a stretch play but What would be an inside zone run and outside zone runs(say from Shotgun)? I know pistol has some plays called "Zone" something but just trying to get a better idea from the game and how they are used.

The formation usually indicates which type of run play it is. If the back is offset, it's Inside Zone. If the back is inline with the QB, it's Outside Zone. This doesn't always hold true, teams will mess with the defense's assumptions and run IZ from inline formations or OZ from offset.

For the game, HB Sweep or HB Off Tackle is outside zone. Inside Zone or Dive is inside zone. Usually, the game sticks to the rules I just talked about but some formations have both (Shotgun Trips and Trips HB Wk have both Inside Zone and Outside Zone as does Y-Trips and Y-Trips HB Wk I believe). I think the Zone runs from Pistol are outside zone runs, I don't run much Pistol though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Atmore

The formation usually indicates which type of run play it is. If the back is offset, it's Inside Zone. If the back is inline with the QB, it's Outside Zone. This doesn't always hold true, teams will mess with the defense's assumptions and run IZ from inline formations or OZ from offset.

For the game, HB Sweep or HB Off Tackle is outside zone. Inside Zone or Dive is inside zone. Usually, the game sticks to the rules I just talked about but some formations have both (Shotgun Trips and Trips HB Wk have both Inside Zone and Outside Zone as does Y-Trips and Y-Trips HB Wk I believe). I think the Zone runs from Pistol are outside zone runs, I don't run much Pistol though, so I'm not 100% sure.

I appreciate the breakdown and the videos really helped. I'll have to look into those formations because having both in one formation would be a lot of help. Especially with Users who a good at scraping from the backside

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I appreciate the breakdown and the videos really helped. I'll have to look into those formations because having both in one formation would be a lot of help. Especially with Users who a good at scraping from the backside

Glad to hear it.

The other one I remembered is Spread Flex. It has a HB Dive play, which is problem my favorite run play in the game, and a HB Sweep. The sweep isn't really an outside zone but people don't expect it from the formation and it hurts people who expect the dive and overcommit.

Atmore

Glad to hear it.

The other one I remembered is Spread Flex. It has a HB Dive play, which is problem my favorite run play in the game, and a HB Sweep. The sweep isn't really an outside zone but people don't expect it from the formation and it hurts people who expect the dive and overcommit.
Shotgun Spread Wk has Off Tackle, Sweep(outside zone) and Base, Cake Read Opt, G Read Option, Read Option and etc...(inside zone). I know the alignment is not offset but they are inside runs to opposite side like the video. I think I just figured something out lol....

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Shotgun Spread Wk has Off Tackle, Sweep(outside zone) and Base, Cake Read Opt, G Read Option, Read Option and etc...(inside zone). I know the alignment is not offset but they are inside runs to opposite side like the video. I think I just figured something out lol....

Yeah, read will get you IZ from any formation. They use to follow the rules in 13 and inline formations would give you OZ reads but they scratched that for 14. The specialty reads like Cake or G are great if you get a give read. The only problem is that you obviously won't get a consistent IZ play if the user or CPU is making your QB keep it.

Base has always been iffy for me but you can test it out and see if you like it.

If you want more ideas, there's this article: http://breakdownsports.blogspot.com...g-outside-zone-sweep-option-pin-and-pull.html

It's way more than the game allows you to do (or what you really need) but you can get some ideas from it. For instance, that quick pitch in there can kind of be created in Slot F Wing. Get people to overcommit to the Dive (IZ) and then hit them with the HB Toss (OZ).

Atmore

Yeah, read will get you IZ from any formation. They use to follow the rules in 13 and inline formations would give you OZ reads but they scratched that for 14. The specialty reads like Cake or G are great if you get a give read. The only problem is that you obviously won't get a consistent IZ play if the user or CPU is making your QB keep it.

Base has always been iffy for me but you can test it out and see if you like it.

If you want more ideas, there's this article: http://breakdownsports.blogspot.com...g-outside-zone-sweep-option-pin-and-pull.html

It's way more than the game allows you to do (or what you really need) but you can get some ideas from it. For instance, that quick pitch in there can kind of be created in Slot F Wing. Get people to overcommit to the Dive (IZ) and then hit them with the HB Toss (OZ).
I'll check out the link but I'm a Flexbone player at heart and believe in "If then" when it comes to running the ball just never used it for "Spread". In my experience users who let the QB keep will stack his side and therefore should open open "designated" HB runs going the other way or Bubble Screens. I'm still trying to figure this out but watching those videos I understand why Ore breaks for big gains all the time. It's just like defending Flex "stay discipline or die". Even with that said I would think in spread you would pass to run or run to pass

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I'll check out the link but I'm a Flexbone player at heart and believe in "If then" when it comes to running the ball just never used it for "Spread". In my experience users who let the QB keep will stack his side and therefore should open open "designated" HB runs going the other way or Bubble Screens. I'm still trying to figure this out but watching those videos I understand why Ore breaks for big gains all the time. It's just like defending Flex "stay discipline or die". Even with that said I would think in spread you would pass to run or run to pass

Yeah, that's why the teams that Oregon has lost to have either been really talented or really disciplined on defense. Usually a mix of both.

You can and most people do, but there are spread teams that shoot to be balanced too (Marshall averaged 287 passing YPG and 272 rushing YPG last year).

fanoftgame

Yeah, that's why the teams that Oregon has lost to have either been really talented or really disciplined on defense. Usually a mix of both.

You can and most people do, but there are spread teams that shoot to be balanced too (Marshall averaged 287 passing YPG and 272 rushing YPG last year).

Chris from smartfootball.com made the point between zone read versus true option is that in the triple you really optioning two people point of attack. And you don't have to really rely on your Olinemen beating DLinemen point of attack.

The zone read almost isn't an option in true sense. It bascially a zone run play with a better version of the bootleg qb's fake out of from under center.

So instead of the qb turning his back to defense in bootleg your reading the player so you know for a fact he isn't chasing the qb.

Back in like 04 Alex Gibbs the Oline coach was trying to marry his zone run game with the reading of DE when he had Mike Vick. He brought in College Coaches to help him learn the zone read game.

Last edited:

CoachTuck

Primarily pistol now and my whole mentality has changed sense I started treating pistol read option as veer and basing from even formations no mid line or triple but hey

Atmore

Primarily pistol now and my whole mentality has changed sense I started treating pistol read option as veer and basing from even formations no mid line or triple but hey

What is the difference between Dive and Spam in Pistol? Only thing I can tell is the dive hand off looks just like the read option. I can see how you run dive, dive, dive then a read option. Between dive and slam I really don't notice much difference.

bluejay13

What is the difference between Dive and Spam in Pistol? Only thing I can tell is the dive hand off looks just like the read option. I can see how you run dive, dive, dive then a read option. Between dive and slam I really don't notice much difference.

Off the top of my head I think the only difference is that one uses a man blocking scheme while the other uses a zone scheme. I could be wrong though!

CoachTuck

Bluejays right but try running slam to the 1 technique and zone blocking angles take over

PSUEagle

Bluejays right but try running slam to the 1 technique and zone blocking angles take over

What's funny is I actually like running IZ to the 3 Tech IRL, assuming the other DT is a shaded nose: it gives you a great chance for a cutback lane behind a good double team. Did that all the time in NCAA 13 (with OZ to the Shade/1 Tech), but you're right that it's usually better the way you describe in NCAA 14.

To the earlier question, Slam looks like it's blocked using IZ principles while Dive is Iso (man) blocked without a lead blocker inserting.

There's a website that @bruin228 and I like that's actually talked about this, but I'm not a fan of IZ from the pistol: the hand off is awkward and it doesn't hit as hard. I prefer to do it from either Gun (personal favorite is traditional as opposed to offset: slows you down a little and lets the blocks develop) or Under Center.

CoachTuck

Irl and in the game I like calling it to the 1 because I'm not too concerned about cutting back I like to hit the b gap bubble and keep it inside

PSUEagle

I can see that. I like going to the 3 Tech especially from 12 personnel ("Big" and "Big Twins") because the MIKE is almost always an A Gap player: a lot of times you can get him to overflow the play. From two back (20, 21, 22: doesn't matter) I'd rather go to the shade since you can insert someone to block WILL in front of the double.

IMO the really big plays in IZ almost always occur when the ball cuts back.

CoachTuck

They do indeed once the backers start flowing and the BSG gets a solid block on the 1 and seals him off all it takes is to stick one foot in the dirt and cut it back

CoachTuck

Definitely wish there was more of a power run game from the but that's why I'm in pistol now

CoachTuck

Truthfully if there was a way to really attack the perimeter in Flexbone I wouldn't be in pistol

LEGEND

I've based my custom playbook off of NIUs they don't the Pistol Triple Option Bob Davie really uses to make New Mexico fun to use

New Mexico's pb has a good bit of Pistol Triple Option?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Atmore

Truthfully if there was a way to really attack the perimeter in Flexbone I wouldn't be in pistol

That's the truth! This year GT killed everyone with a trap run to the B Back last year. Unlike the game guard would pull play side and block the DE or LB on the end of the formation. Or if the toss plays really made people pay for stacking the box

Gooksta

So with football season about here I decided to fire this game back up.. I had an old dynasty on the system. 2nd yr with a create a team. I have an athlete HB who is good receiver also.. can split him out at receiver and run jet sweeps with. Have 1 decent receiver and a decent TE. What play books should I use?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
So with football season about here I decided to fire this game back up.. I had an old dynasty on the system. 2nd yr with a create a team. I have an athlete HB who is good receiver also.. can split him out at receiver and run jet sweeps with. Have 1 decent receiver and a decent TE. What play books should I use?

Ohio State.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@TXHusker05 you have any tips for running out of Full House?

What personnel are you putting on the field? All backs or FB/TE types offset? I actually don't line up in Full House to run that often. If I call Full House in the huddle, typically I am throwing the football. Most of my runs calls for Full House are just quick run audible to Slam if I don't like what I see for my pass call.

I do run a bunch out of Full House as part of my Weak Slot to Full House audible series that turns that slot WR in Weak Slot into a pseudo-jet player to run Off Tackle, Read Option and Triple Wk. That isn't for everyone though, it eats up a lot of audibles for relatively few plays per game.

Since you're someone who passes a lot, you may be better off with just Slam in there. Slam is a great play, you typically get good double teams and a cutback lane. If you want to dabble in option, Off Tackle/Read/Triple Wk is a good trio of plays. Especially if you can put a burner at the upback position and a more downhill power guy as the Pistol back.

If you're using Full House just for a short yardage/goal line formation, I think you might want to look elsewhere, that isn't a formation I would trust in short yardage just because the upback blocks are hit or miss.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
What personnel are you putting on the field? All backs or FB/TE types offset? I actually don't line up in Full House to run that often. If I call Full House in the huddle, typically I am throwing the football. Most of my runs calls for Full House are just quick run audible to Slam if I don't like what I see for my pass call.

I do run a bunch out of Full House as part of my Weak Slot to Full House audible series that turns that slot WR in Weak Slot into a pseudo-jet player to run Off Tackle, Read Option and Triple Wk. That isn't for everyone though, it eats up a lot of audibles for relatively few plays per game.

Since you're someone who passes a lot, you may be better off with just Slam in there. Slam is a great play, you typically get good double teams and a cutback lane. If you want to dabble in option, Off Tackle/Read/Triple Wk is a good trio of plays. Especially if you can put a burner at the upback position and a more downhill power guy as the Pistol back.

If you're using Full House just for a short yardage/goal line formation, I think you might want to look elsewhere, that isn't a formation I would trust in short yardage just because the upback blocks are hit or miss.

I definitely have the personnel to run it as is at Cal, I have a ton of back depth. But I was also thinking of throwing in a WR or TE at times because I have Pistol Flexbone Trips as well and would like to throw that in as a chance of pace.

So you go from Full House to Weak? I may mess around with that. I was trying to get it to go from Full House to Strong or Weak but that's not very seamless since the guy on the wrong side will go line up as the WR and the other back will do a jump motion.

I like Slam a decent amount, though I have had a problem with the upback blocking or sometimes even the line blocking as you said. I tried running it 3 times against Zona last night from inside the 5 out of frustration and couldn't score. I ran for over 200 yards so it was a solid change of pace but yeah, it sucks inside the 10. I do have some other stuff for that.

Do you create any concepts? My biggest problem with Full House is that the passing plays are overall, shit. That PA Flood play is nice, Slants is good if you're getting overcommitment to the run, and the Double Screen can be good if you get the Mid Screen but other wise, it's tough, at least for me. Given that I'm an Air Raid guy, I want at least 3 guys running routes from the line and obviously you can't do that from Full House. In real life, guys like Dana use the formation to get 1v1 matchups but that's really, really hit or miss in this game.

I am running read stuff with it, since I have a Boykin type QB. I've had trouble with Off Tackle. It seems to have the problem of the inside guys getting beat before I can get the edge (or even cut it up) that I see in a lot of OZ runs this game. Do you like that HB Zone run? That seems to be alright, I can usually get 5-6 yards and sometimes get a cutback to the outside. It is a little slow hitting though, which is usually a death sentence for any Pistol run against a user.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Fun offense, that's what I ran at UCLA when I had them in Powerhouse and I only lost 1 user game. It's a bit annoying how shitty Spot is in this game, though.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I definitely have the personnel to run it as is at Cal, I have a ton of back depth. But I was also thinking of throwing in a WR or TE at times because I have Pistol Flexbone Trips as well and would like to throw that in as a chance of pace.

So you go from Full House to Weak? I may mess around with that. I was trying to get it to go from Full House to Strong or Weak but that's not very seamless since the guy on the wrong side will go line up as the WR and the other back will do a jump motion.

I like Slam a decent amount, though I have had a problem with the upback blocking or sometimes even the line blocking as you said. I tried running it 3 times against Zona last night from inside the 5 out of frustration and couldn't score. I ran for over 200 yards so it was a solid change of pace but yeah, it sucks inside the 10. I do have some other stuff for that.

Do you create any concepts? My biggest problem with Full House is that the passing plays are overall, shit. That PA Flood play is nice, Slants is good if you're getting overcommitment to the run, and the Double Screen can be good if you get the Mid Screen but other wise, it's tough, at least for me. Given that I'm an Air Raid guy, I want at least 3 guys running routes from the line and obviously you can't do that from Full House. In real life, guys like Dana use the formation to get 1v1 matchups but that's really, really hit or miss in this game.

I am running read stuff with it, since I have a Boykin type QB. I've had trouble with Off Tackle. It seems to have the problem of the inside guys getting beat before I can get the edge (or even cut it up) that I see in a lot of OZ runs this game. Do you like that HB Zone run? That seems to be alright, I can usually get 5-6 yards and sometimes get a cutback to the outside. It is a little slow hitting though, which is usually a death sentence for any Pistol run against a user.

One thing do a lot of with full house is motion one of the backs to create a strong/weak look with the back in a "Y off" position like a TE. Doesn't really do much for blocking though. You may want to look into Pistol Strong & H Twins instead. That gives you some better passing concepts that aren't really possible with full house. The run game is much better too. You get everything full house has plus G Lead & better zone blocking.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Fun offense, that's what I ran at UCLA when I had them in Powerhouse and I only lost 1 user game. It's a bit annoying how shitty Spot is in this game, though.

I don't use two back or pistol sets. That's the only difference. I have a pair of incredible TEs this year, so I'm using 11 & 12 personnel sets with some 10. I think I have 15 formations, but I've been using a lot of motion to create more unique looks and make certain concepts that are missing.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I don't use two back or pistol sets. That's the only difference. I have a pair of incredible TEs this year, so I'm using 11 & 12 personnel sets with some 10. I think I have 15 formations, but I've been using a lot of motion to create more unique looks and make certain concepts that are missing.

Technically not two back, but Split Close is a great formation for that offense. Motion is a big deal for that offense, I agree. I didn't use a ton of it because going fast takes precedent over motion in a big way for me, but I did use it more than any other offense I've run.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

I start in Weak Slot and then go to Full House. Typically I call Weak Slot Read Option in the huddle. If no one lines up over the slot WR, I will just quick check to bubble screen and throw it out to him. Otherwise I will check to either Full House Off Tackle or Full House Read Option, depending on how the defense is aligned and if people are using aggressive option defense.

The only way for that to work is if you have a FB/TE at the upback spot in Pistol Weak Slot. If you have a HB there, they will switch positions when you audible (upback goes to the right, slot WR go to the left).

I personally love it -IF- you have the personnel. If you have an athletic scatback type you want to get the ball in space, line him up in the slot in Weak Slot and you can either snap throw bubble to him or run Off Tackle with him. If you really want to go all in, you can also made Triple Wk an audible. The result is basically Jet Sweep/Jet Read/Jet Triple but in audible form. It's seamless all the way around.

The reason you had issues with your audibles is that how the game classifies that 2nd back varies, depending on who the back is. I think EA did it as a cheese prevention measure so people couldn't just throw HBs and WRs everywhere and move them to FB/TE type positions. If you have a HB at the second back position, which is the default in almost every Pistol formation, that guy is going to move around if you try to do any jump motion type of audibles. Try putting a FB/TE at the left upback spot and doing the Strong audible or at the right upback spot to do the Weak audible. Might work.

Honestly, don't bother with Full House in short yardage. The upback blocks may or may not turn out, you're better off getting those guys on the LOS and giving yourself an extra gap. Have you considered a Full House to Ace audible? That should be relatively seamless, with the two upbacks moving forward to the TE spots directly in front of them. The other option is to go full on spread. In my Osborne offense, I had an audible where I went from Ace Big to Gun Spread and ran QB Power. Sounds backwards, but was deadly for short yardage.

I do create a bunch of concepts in Full House. My favorite being just a basic mirrored slant/wheel, I know there is a slant/flat concept in the formation already, but I always remove it to get the screen pass as my quick audible. Speaking of the screen pass, I use that double screen to create a version of my triple screen that I always run out of Spread Flex. Have the deep back run the slow screen to the left, the WR run the mid screen on the right and the right upback runs the swing/wheel screen behind that (if the corner crashes with the WR).

You can create a few other nice concepts in Full House by motioning one of the backs out of the backfield. The deep curl play, designed as is with the angle route motioned into the slot is nasty. It essentially creates Y Trail on one side and curl/flat to the other.

I love Pistol Full House to throw. I'm going to use it A LOT this upcoming season to isolate my 6'6" WR on the outside and get my TE in the backfield to move him around.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
PS, I miss the playbook website Oneback maintained. The visuals were important for me to explain some of my concepts.

I wish there was a blackboard feature where we could draw something within the post itself.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
PS, I miss the playbook website Oneback maintained. The visuals were important for me to explain some of my concepts.

I wish there was a blackboard feature where we could draw something within the post itself.

Same. I'd host it if I had the images. I just do everything in PPT now.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I start in Weak Slot and then go to Full House. Typically I call Weak Slot Read Option in the huddle. If no one lines up over the slot WR, I will just quick check to bubble screen and throw it out to him. Otherwise I will check to either Full House Off Tackle or Full House Read Option, depending on how the defense is aligned and if people are using aggressive option defense.

The only way for that to work is if you have a FB/TE at the upback spot in Pistol Weak Slot. If you have a HB there, they will switch positions when you audible (upback goes to the right, slot WR go to the left).

I personally love it -IF- you have the personnel. If you have an athletic scatback type you want to get the ball in space, line him up in the slot in Weak Slot and you can either snap throw bubble to him or run Off Tackle with him. If you really want to go all in, you can also made Triple Wk an audible. The result is basically Jet Sweep/Jet Read/Jet Triple but in audible form. It's seamless all the way around.

The reason you had issues with your audibles is that how the game classifies that 2nd back varies, depending on who the back is. I think EA did it as a cheese prevention measure so people couldn't just throw HBs and WRs everywhere and move them to FB/TE type positions. If you have a HB at the second back position, which is the default in almost every Pistol formation, that guy is going to move around if you try to do any jump motion type of audibles. Try putting a FB/TE at the left upback spot and doing the Strong audible or at the right upback spot to do the Weak audible. Might work.

Honestly, don't bother with Full House in short yardage. The upback blocks may or may not turn out, you're better off getting those guys on the LOS and giving yourself an extra gap. Have you considered a Full House to Ace audible? That should be relatively seamless, with the two upbacks moving forward to the TE spots directly in front of them. The other option is to go full on spread. In my Osborne offense, I had an audible where I went from Ace Big to Gun Spread and ran QB Power. Sounds backwards, but was deadly for short yardage.

I do create a bunch of concepts in Full House. My favorite being just a basic mirrored slant/wheel, I know there is a slant/flat concept in the formation already, but I always remove it to get the screen pass as my quick audible. Speaking of the screen pass, I use that double screen to create a version of my triple screen that I always run out of Spread Flex. Have the deep back run the slow screen to the left, the WR run the mid screen on the right and the right upback runs the swing/wheel screen behind that (if the corner crashes with the WR).

You can create a few other nice concepts in Full House by motioning one of the backs out of the backfield. The deep curl play, designed as is with the angle route motioned into the slot is nasty. It essentially creates Y Trail on one side and curl/flat to the other.

I love Pistol Full House to throw. I'm going to use it A LOT this upcoming season to isolate my 6'6" WR on the outside and get my TE in the backfield to move him around.

How do you run QB Power out of Spread? I wanted to run that, but I've had trouble with it. Do you just have to be patient?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
How do you run QB Power out of Spread? I wanted to run that, but I've had trouble with it. Do you just have to be patient?

Run it against the 3 tech side & don't use turbo. You want to follow the guard into the hole. The key is to get a QB with 75+ acceleration.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I may be wrong, but I have always tan power to the 1 tech side, but the blocking works much better to the 3 tech. What's the actual side power should run to?