• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

LEGEND

That's the rub. You would still need the trips formations to get the screens.

This!

Y trips has a wr screen and pistol trips has screens, but that's pretty much it. I added a wildcat formation that has a wr screen with a LT and TE blocking. I don't use screens so I don't miss them.

I would like to implement them into my offense though. The offense has worked really well so far... Adding screens would only help! I'm having no problem avg the 250 rushing yds I wanted.

LEGEND

I actually liked the trips formations I had... It just threw off my rythem. I've gotten some big plays out of the motion. It puts the db's/safeties in a bind... I've seen the safety actually do a 360 degree spin, trying to figure who to cover. LoL

Speaking of which, East Catholic HS (WA) is running this offense on ESPNU right now.

Wow. Did they really?

They were pretty much a "traditional" pistol spread team through the season, as far as I know. They beat my HS (Bellevue) for the state title and I never noticed them go to the flexbone look.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Wow. Did they really?

They were pretty much a "traditional" pistol spread team through the season, as far as I know. They beat my HS (Bellevue) for the state title and I never noticed them go to the flexbone look.

I'm pretty sure it was them and not their opponent. Maybe they're trying something new for a pre-preseason game?

KATOblaze

Tried to dabble in the pistol but if the run play isn't HB counter or Zone read it's useless; being able to flip the zone reads is pretty useful though

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Tried to dabble in the pistol but if the run play isn't HB counter or Zone read it's useless; being able to flip the zone reads is pretty useful though

Stretch out of Pistol works well, depending on the formation. It is weird, in some Pistol formations, the HB takes the Stretch handoff at full speed and is down hill FAST. In others, he has a little hitch. I like Strong Power in Trips as well. My favorite play in Pistol so far as been Power O out of Slot Flex Wing. Could run that thing every damn play. Wish there was a decent play action off of it.

I created my Pistol/Offset Gun playbook, had a hell of a first game with it vs the CPU but it is very bloated. 14 Pistol formations and 16 Gun formations, nearly maxed out plays. Pistol formations are very play intensive since there are more traditional one back runs. I might redo it, focusing on either Pistol or Offset Gun with just a small package of the other alignment. I didn't even get all the formations I wanted. Current formation list:

Pistol

Train
Full House
Weak Slot
Weak Twins
Slot Flex Wing
Wing Trio
Ace
Ace Twins
Twin TE
Twin TE Slot
Wing Over
Slot
Y Trips
Trips

Gun

F Twins Over
Split Big
Split Y Offset
Split Offset
Normal Offset
Normal Offset Wk
Wing Trips Offset
Wing Trips Offset Wk
Y Trips Offset
Trio Offset
Trio Unbalanced
Spread Flex
Spread Offset
Trio 4WR Str
Trio 4WR
Empty Wing Trio

It is an awful lot. It is almost my entire Offset Gun package from my Spread-I, minus some Wing Gun, and then a fairly expanded Pistol grouping.

KATOblaze

Stretch out of Pistol works well, depending on the formation. It is weird, in some Pistol formations, the HB takes the Stretch handoff at full speed and is down hill FAST. In others, he has a little hitch. I like Strong Power in Trips as well. My favorite play in Pistol so far as been Power O out of Slot Flex Wing. Could run that thing every damn play. Wish there was a decent play action off of it.

I created my Pistol/Offset Gun playbook, had a hell of a first game with it vs the CPU but it is very bloated. 14 Pistol formations and 16 Gun formations, nearly maxed out plays. Pistol formations are very play intensive since there are more traditional one back runs. I might redo it, focusing on either Pistol or Offset Gun with just a small package of the other alignment. I didn't even get all the formations I wanted. Current formation list:

Pistol

Train
Full House
Weak Slot
Weak Twins
Slot Flex Wing
Wing Trio
Ace
Ace Twins
Twin TE
Twin TE Slot
Wing Over
Slot
Y Trips
Trips

Gun

F Twins Over
Split Big
Split Y Offset
Split Offset
Normal Offset
Normal Offset Wk
Wing Trips Offset
Wing Trips Offset Wk
Y Trips Offset
Trio Offset
Trio Unbalanced
Spread Flex
Spread Offset
Trio 4WR Str
Trio 4WR
Empty Wing Trio

It is an awful lot. It is almost my entire Offset Gun package from my Spread-I, minus some Wing Gun, and then a fairly expanded Pistol grouping.
What are you making more use of out of Pistol the HB Slams or the dives because their both pretty weak and slow hitting compared to offset gun runs

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
What are you making more use of out of Pistol the HB Slams or the dives because their both pretty weak and slow hitting compared to offset gun runs

I removed Slam from all my Pistol and put only Dive in, but I don't run it that often for that very reason. Most of my Pistol runs are Power O, Strong Power, Counter and Stretch. The only reason I really run Dive is just to set up Read Option, even then Dive isn't that great because it seems like the DE on Dive is left unblocked half the time and crashes to make the tackle.

I actually like Draw out of Pistol a lot, I treat it similar to how I would dive. It seems to hit quicker than Gun Draw does and it is fairly well blocked.

I may go back through the playbook and start pulling some Pistol runs out and focus more on Power/Counter and not even worry about making Dive work.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Watching Noel Mazzone videos lately. My passing game is very similar to his: shallow and scat all day with screens and deep shots sprinkled in.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Stretch out of Pistol: Wing Offset is pretty darn good. Against certain fronts it is blocked so friggin' well. I have busted a bunch of 70+ yard TDs out of that against CPU and users.

The Zone Wk play out of Wing Offset is awesome as well. That play hits HARD and you can bounce it quick if there is no contain. That formation is probably the best Pistol formation in the game. Ton of great plays, great PA off them and some good pass plays. If I had to pick one Pistol formation to run from all game, that would be it.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Use the waggle pass from Wing Trio. It's not a big gainer, but it's consistent. Use the screens as well.

One of my favorite things to do with the Wing Pistol formations is PA Bootlegs with the H-Back hot routed to a Wheel. Works really well against users because a lot of them manually cover the H against me knowing I rarely throw to him.

NCAA14_Pistol_Slot_Flex_Wing_PA_Boot_Slide.JPG

If the QB is righty I will flip it. I'll hot route the comeback to a 10 yard dig, the slot to a pivot and the H-Back to a Wheel. Gives you a great concept coming off of the bootleg and if it happens to be taken away, you have the Wheel/Post back side.

The Zone Wk play out of Wing Offset is awesome as well. That play hits HARD and you can bounce it quick if there is no contain. That formation is probably the best Pistol formation in the game. Ton of great plays, great PA off them and some good pass plays. If I had to pick one Pistol formation to run from all game, that would be it.

I always take Zone Weak out so that I can have Stretch as my default run audible.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I always take Zone Weak out so that I can have Stretch as my default run audible.

I like calling Stretch in the huddle and then checking to Zone Weak if I get numbers to the back side of the formation. I suppose I could always flip stretch and motion the H-Back across the formation as well.

LEGEND

I kind of like @LEGEND your idea of manually motioning a player every play to create a trips set. But how would that work with screens? Bubble and now.

Not sure if you're looking to go no huddle like myself, but Empty Spread has a nice dbl bubble screen. SG Y trips has wr & pa wr screen along with pa bubble.
I love being able to go from 2x1 to 2x2 to 3x1 or 3x2 without ever having to huddle.

There are screens available... Just depends on how many and which you want to use.

LEGEND

Played a user gm last night where I utilized some screens. Worked really well... I'm going to put them in my audibles. The different looks really open up a lot of possibilities with this offense. What I really like is, It can be either pass or run heavy.

I like TE's and a good TE is deadly in this offense... Problem for defense. If they focus on TE the RB & WR's will kill them. The screen gm really adds another concern for the defense. The bonus is... You have to account for the qb also! I ran for over 100 with a pure pocket passing qb. Qb wrap and qb power really gashed him. Plus I mixed in a well timed read option for a 49 yd qb run.

My RB had ovr 200 on 12 carries. It wasn't all gravy though... I started off slow on the road. I was down 17-7 @ half before scoring 28 unanswered pts. My qb was erratic 1st half and my opponent played grind it out pound the rock offense.

He got the ball to start the gm and used the entire 1st qtr and start of 2nd on his initial scoring drive.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Madden 25's mesh plays are FUBARed. The receivers run into one another. As a result, I've ditched it and went to more of the shallow cross series. That combined with scat, sail, and screens makes up 90% of my passing game.

LEGEND

Madden 25's mesh plays are FUBARed. The receivers run into one another. As a result, I've ditched it and went to more of the shallow cross series. That combined with scat, sail, and screens makes up 90% of my passing game.

I've nvr run scat... Am I missing something? I don't run much curls or hitches either. If something is abused by others or feels cheesy... I won't use it.

I nvr liked how the defender tends to always fall down on hitches/curls or get trucked. I know that's why so many ppl abused them...that turned me off to the plays.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I've nvr run scat... Am I missing something? I don't run much curls or hitches either. If something is abused by others or feels cheesy... I won't use it.

I nvr liked how the defender tends to always fall down on hitches/curls or get trucked. I know that's why so many ppl abused them...that turned me off to the plays.

You're missing out on Scat/Spot/triangle concepts. There's an entire book about that one concept.

For hitch/curls, use them. A concept isn't "cheese". JSU runs the curl flat concept almost every drive. It's a simple two step read that works against one high looks. That's like saying running the zone read is cheese.

LEGEND

Hitches are cheese? Half the time you throw hitches, the corner sprints out of the locker room to pick it off

Must be only me then! I play against a guy who runs them damn near every play. The CB always whiffs the tackle and it's a TD. I rarely ever get a pick off it... Hell, I'm happy if I get a tackle!

Didn't say they were cheesy.. I said if it's abused or feels cheesy to me, then I won't run it. I run read but far less than the avg player.

JAR201166

Must be only me then! I play against a guy who runs them damn near every play. The CB always whiffs the tackle and it's a TD. I rarely ever get a pick off it... Hell, I'm happy if I get a tackle!

Didn't say they were cheesy.. I said if it's abused or feels cheesy to me, then I won't run it. I run read but far less than the avg player.
Run cover 3 buzz or whatever its called the one with curl flat zones.

Hitches are cheese? Half the time you throw hitches, the corner sprints out of the locker room to pick it off

This. I never even put Curl/Flat in my custom playbooks.

As far as Scat goes, I love the concept, but it seems to me like the little Stick/Settle route and the Bubble don't have enough spacing to me.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
This. I never even put Curl/Flat in my custom playbooks.

As far as Scat goes, I love the concept, but it seems to me like the little Stick/Settle route and the Bubble don't have enough spacing to me.

I call any triangle concept "scat". The bubble versions are a little hairy.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
I call any triangle concept "scat". The bubble versions are a little hairy.
Snag is a much more popular 3 man 'triangle' concept. Same with stick though it's not as vertically developed. Still very popular, especially when paired with a screen or double slants backside/slant-swing in trips.

KATOblaze

Absolutely in love with Trips formations especially 4wr Trio Str/Wk. 2 high looks you have the number advantage to the Trips side and can run strong with speed option (huge gain central)or read option. Then if it's one high I love when it's the 3-3-5 you run Wk because you have the numbers on the solo side

LEGEND

Biggest issue with my offense is my defense! I can't stop anyone. I drop on avg 3 Int's a gm...
[BCOLOR=#fcfcff]while having 2-3 picked each gm. My Int's are usually some amazing play by a defender. Yet all my drops are passes thrown directly to my guys that they just drop. Smh! [/BCOLOR]

LEGEND

If I could just hold on to 1 of the 3 opportunities a gm I get, it would make a difference! Lost last night by 7 because my opponent scored shortly after each drop.

On the other hand... he got 3... two of which were amazing cpu crap! I scored on every drive that I didn't turn it ovr.

As usual my turnover ratio was 3-0 Smh!!

JAR201166

Do any of you play madden 15 on xbox one? I wanna league to get started with people that don't cry about someone running the spread lol

LEGEND

There is so much you can do with this style of offense! I get too caught up on doing certain things and forget my other options.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
There is so much you can do with this style of offense! I get too caught up on doing certain things and forget my other options.

I just wish all of the stuff that was in NCAA was in Madden. Without NCAA on the One, it's hard to scratch the option itch. The closet thing I've gotten to true option football is the option series in various Pistol Strong/Weak. I've used Le'Ron McClain like a wrecking ball as the dive back.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Not going to do anything about it the rest of this season in Powerhouse, but I am going to need to focus on either Pistol or Offset Gun next year. Splitting evenly between the two causes me all sorts of issues against users. I end up in awful formation and personnel tendencies. I either need to go 75% Pistol or 75% Gun with the other stuff as just a compliment. Trying to run what is effectively two base offenses is tough. I have way too much offense for my own good.

Ameer Abdullah will graduate after this season and Imani Cross is next up, a bigger slower power back probably won't do as well in the Pistol so I might go 75% Gun with some 12 personnel Pistol. I was thinking about trying to create a Pistol Option offense but I'm not sure how well it would work. Maybe I can use the rest of this season to experiment with it.

I like the idea of being able to run Pistol Twin TE Slot as a base formation but with a HB in the slot and a HB as the wing. Base plays would be the two Motion Option plays in Twin TE Slot, top two audibles would be Pistol H Twins so I could motion the wing HB into the backfield to run option with him. Basically creating:

WR--------------OOOOOY------------------
--------HB---------------HB---------------
--------------------Q----------------------
--------------------HB---------------------

It would be a similar to what I do with my Weak Slot to Full House audible series which has probably been my most successful series of plays this year.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Today's OD game was the perfect example of trying to do way too much on offense and it costing me. Under 300 yards of offense, just 2 offensive touchdowns, absolute disaster outside of my tailback running and receiving. I won thanks to a punt return (also by the tailback) and a fumble/pick six on an option.

I threw 7 of 9 for like 56 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. 7 of the 9 pass attempts were screens behind the LOS though. I don't have any confidence in my passing offense and my run game is piecemeal. Power/Counter out of Pistol and Inside Zone/Read out of Offset Gun. Very predictable formations. Option got taken away completely thanks to aggressive option D which wasn't ideal but I need to have an answer for that no matter what.

I think I am going to ditch some of the traditional TE formations and go solely wing/spread. My starting TE is better as a receiver and I want to get a FB in the backfield which is something that is missing in my offense right now.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Had a huge game vs C3PO last night in Powerhouse. Nebraska vs a very good OU squad. Turnovers were the story but I ran for 415 yards on 46 carries and threw 9 of 11 for 149 yards. Again, Ameer Abdullah was the man, 16 rushes for 181 yards and Imani Cross came back from injury and ran 19 times for 164 yards including a 50 yard TD. He's a big boy boy once he gets going he is damn tough to bring down. He ran over a couple Sooner DBs. Held the ball 19 of 28 minutes in the game.

I ran 57 total plays, I'm guessing 40 of them were from the Pistol. Maybe a little more. I'm running more and more Pistol Counter Trey as this season goes on and having a ton of success with it. The counter action holds user controlled run support an extra beat and the blocks usually set up really well. I usually pair it with some receiver motion to slow down user pursuit even more. I like Counter Trey far more than Strong Power, the run through on Strong Power is killing me as is the lack of complimentary play action.

If Pistol's screen game was more developed, I would probably be 95% Pistol about now but the screen game sucks so hard. Screens are what made my Spread-I so deadly. Slip screens, mid screens, bubble screens, swing screens, double/triple screens. I need those screens so I don't think I will ever be able to go all Pistol, but I do need to figure out a way to integrate the Gun into the offense a little better. The good news is that my passing game out of the Pistol is pretty good, efficient at least, I had 3PO biting hard on some PA fakes. PA is far more effective in Pistol than it is in Gun. Absolutely no one bites on Gun PA.

Just need to work on trimming things down offensively and planning for next year with no Abdullah.