• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SEC Thread

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
If this is considered an upset...are we..are we back?

Back to what? If anything Florida is already back. They are back to exactly what they are as a program.

Unless the team has an all-timer, HOF head coach, they are mediocre at best. Seeing how they didn't win a single conference shampship prior to Spurrier. Pre-Spurrier bowl reckod: 8-10. Zero 10 win seasons. 7 Nine win seasons (3 of which are now tarnished due to probation).

Gatas are back babby.

-YTC

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Before penn state had a hof corch, it was atlantis and ancient aliens were creating a race of slaves to mine diamond to power their craft

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Unless the team has an all-timer, HOF head coach, they are mediocre at best.

Isn't this true of, well - just about every single program in America? Can't think of a program in recent decades that won a shampship with a mediocre coach. Also, when that coach left, what typically happened to the program?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
We have won 3 ncs in the past twenty yrs, gtfo with your nonsense, if you dont want nonsense in rebuttal

Yes, it's complete nonsense to believe that a program is more likely to be similar to what it was for a 70 year period, versus what it was in a 20 year period. What was I ever thinking?

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Isn't this true of, well - just about every single program in America? Can't think of a program in recent decades that won a shampship with a mediocre coach. Also, when that coach left, what typically happened to the program?

Auburn (Gene Chizik), Ohio State (Jim Tressel), Miami (Larry Coker), and Georgia Tech (Bobby Ross) all say hello.

-YTC

GR8 2 B FL G8R

And what did those teams have? An abundance of talent. So hurr durr you either need a good coach or a ton of talent. Thank you for your contribution.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
And what did those teams have? An abundance of talent. So hurr durr you either need a good coach or a ton of talent. Thank you for your contribution.

So, I guess you've got that to cling to. You are but a good coach or an abundance of talent away from being relevant again. Congrats. Looks like those are just on the horizon.

-YTC

Brick

haven't heard of them, no. i'm not going to watch an SEC network or ESPNU night game while the real teams play on ABC, ESPN, CBS.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Auburn (Gene Chizik), Ohio State (Jim Tressel), Miami (Larry Coker), and Georgia Tech (Bobby Ross) all say hello.

-YTC

Jim Tressel is a mediocre coach? Yes, he was similar to Bob Stoops at Oklahoma in that he just has the one ring, but his teams were always in the hunt.

I'll give you Chizik, but as mentioned, his OC was Malzahn. Coker was like Switzer with the Cowboys - win a ring with this predecessors' players. Ross was successful at Maryland before building the GT program to national championship caliber, then jumped to the NFL. No telling how good or long he'd have lasted had he stayed in the college ranks.

Last edited:

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Jim Tressel is a mediocre coach? Yes, he was similar to Bob Stoops at Oklahoma in that he just has the one ring, but his teams were always in the hunt.

I'll give you Chizik, but as mentioned, his OC was Malzahn. Coker was like Switzer with the Cowboys - win a ring with this predecessors' players. Ross was successful at Maryland before building the GT program to national championship caliber, then jumped to the NFL. No telling how good or long he'd have lasted had he stayed in the college ranks.

You asked for examples of shampship winning teams that had mediocre coaches. And I provided a few.

Ohio State won in spite of Jim Tressel, especially when you consider that nobody has even attempted to engage him for another coaching job, pro or college. And don't give me the show cause crap, because it didn't stop Bruce Pearl from landing another job. anOSU's success during Tressel's time was largely due to a weaker B1G.

Bobby Ross finished his career with a .500 record, including a sterling 31-26-1 record at Georgia Tech.

Coker is not like Switzer at all. Coker's predecessor didn't win any championships.

Sorry, but if you are selling me on any of those being great coaches, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

-YTC

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Do you realize that outside of Louisiana, South Florida has the most per capita HS talent in the country? Coker recruited the shit out of S FL. He even had libertarian hoss from Oklahoma on his o line. Any coach could have won with a team with Mak, Portis, Gore, McGahee, Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Jon Vilma, Beason, Dj Williams, Greg Olsen, not sure if they were all on one team, but you get the picture.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Do you realize that outside of Louisiana, South Florida has the most per capita HS talent in the country? Coker recruited the shit out of S FL. He even had libertarian hoss from Oklahoma on his o line. Any coach could have won with a team with Mak, Portis, Gore, McGahee, Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Jon Vilma, Beason, Dj Williams, Greg Olsen, not sure if they were all on one team, but you get the picture.

Weird, because Butch Davis didn't.

-YTC

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Damn, whitey - didn't realize you was so #passionate about it. Guess it shows that footbaw success is more player-based than corch based. Here's hoping that the mediocre-coach-but-excellent-recruiter Steve Sarkisian can be added to ur list. :trollface:

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Nah, b...this isn't passion. Now ask me how I reel e feel about Urban Meyer, and you'll get some passion.

-YTC

Wooly

You asked for examples of shampship winning teams that had mediocre coaches. And I provided a few.

Ohio State won in spite of Jim Tressel, especially when you consider that nobody has even attempted to engage him for another coaching job, pro or college. And don't give me the show cause crap, because it didn't stop Bruce Pearl from landing another job. anOSU's success during Tressel's time was largely due to a weaker B1G.

Bobby Ross finished his career with a .500 record, including a sterling 31-26-1 record at Georgia Tech.

Coker is not like Switzer at all. Coker's predecessor didn't win any championships.

Sorry, but if you are selling me on any of those being great coaches, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

-YTC

What is your criteria for a good coach, or even a great one? I think that is issue here.

I think our expectations are out of step with reality in judging teams and coaches in CFB, and sports in general. It sounds like you would only consider a handful of coaches good over the past 20 years, like 20 at most over 20 years. Shouldn't the number of good coaches kind of follow a bell curve, where roughly 15-20% of coaches are considered good in a given year. For instance, that means about 25 coaches have done a good job in a given year, as compared to each other, since that is how you would define doing good. If instead you hold up some standard of good that few coaches ever attain, then what does it matter how many or which coaches you consider good. If you have some arbitrary standard that doesn't fit reality who cares how you assess coaches? I could say that no coaches are good who have not won 6 NCs at the D1A level, and therefore no coaches in CFB are good, but that would be a meaningless assessment. You compare coaches based on what they do with what they have, relative to what their peers do with what they have. That is a little vague, but it's the right way to approach the subject. So how does Tressell stack up against his peers, and coaching at a top flight program with lots of talent? Tressell stacks up pretty good.

I think of mediocre as middle of the pack. I don't consider Tressel middle of the pack, he was a very successful coach. He was at least a good coach, if not a great one. Sure he had a lot of talent at OSU, but he won a lot, a whole lot, 80% of his games, and he won a lot of big games, 4-3 in BCS bowls and a MNC. It sounds like you are saying OSU could have won without Tressel, and in fact would have done better without him. Plenty of great coaches win a lot with great talent, and you don't hold it against them, why does Tressel not get credit for winning at OSU? OSU was better with Tressel than his predecessor, so I find it hard to say OSU was better off without him.

You mentioned he won in a down Big Ten. First, conf strength is a always a circular argument with no objective answer so it's a harder argument to make, but certainly the Big Ten was never worse than the 4th or 5th best conference during the 2000s, so that is not a good argument. Second, historically, it's pretty common for coaches we call great to win while beating less talented teams in conferences with not much competition. That is the history of the game. Until the mid 90s, most conferences were dominated by a couple of teams without much competition. We consider Tom Osborne and Barry Switzer great coaches, and yet both had an embarrassment of talent and only one team in their conference that could beat them (Nebraska and Oklahoma). Same thing for FSU, where no one holds it against Bobby Bowden for FSU cleaning house in the 90s ACC. No one holds it against any of those coaches who are all considered great, not even just good. No one holds it against Switzer for winning with a dirty program either, so Tressel should be OK there too. Tressel certainly won with more competition than did Osborne, Switzer, or Bowden, so you shouldn't hold it against Tressel for winning a "weak conference", if you consider it that. Why is winning 80% of your games not enough to be good? I don't measure a coach by MNCs, if that is the criteria, and in any case, Tressel has one, which is similar to a lot of coaches we call great.

Can Tressel win without having great talent around him, which people often ask to assess how good a coach is? Yeah, he build Youngstown State into the most powerful D1AA dynasty of its time, winning 4 NCs and playing for the title a total of 6 times in his 14 years there. THEN, he came to OSU, one of the premier programs in the country, and kept on winning. He won with lesser programs, and he won with a great one. I think that answers the question that Tressel is at LEAST a good coach.

I get the feeling it's the style of play that people hold against Tressel, the so called "Tresselball". Who cares if played close the vest, the sweater vest as it were? Who cares if won without blowing out opponents, even though his teams probably could have blown out a lot more teams. Why does margin of victory matter? He had a style that won tons of games, and had them perennially in contention for BCS bowls and MNCs. What more do you want?

Maybe Tressel didn't want to coach anymore after OSU and his run ins with the NCAA. He has been in Ohio his whole life and appears to want to stay there. He is now president of Youngstown St., maybe that is what he wanted to do after coaching.

At the very least you should consider Tressell a good coach, even if you don't think he is great.

Last edited:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
What is your opinion of Urban Meyer as a coach?

Jon-Stewart-Eagerly-Watching-Eating-His-Popcorn-On-The-Daily-Show.gif

DiegoMarzipan

If you're here who's running the vape shop?
Back to what? If anything Florida is already back. They are back to exactly what they are as a program.

Unless the team has an all-timer, HOF head coach, they are mediocre at best. Seeing how they didn't win a single conference shampship prior to Spurrier. Pre-Spurrier bowl reckod: 8-10. Zero 10 win seasons. 7 Nine win seasons (3 of which are now tarnished due to probation).

Gatas are back babby.

-YTC

Said the person propounding the virtues of the South Carolina football program.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
HOF corch, surely they will be in the NC game every year like Penn State was for 80 yrs

Unlike Florida, Sakerlina had actually won a recognized conference shampship in football before he arrived.

Maybe he just chose the better program after leaving the NFL?

-YTC