• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SEC Thread

mcnoles

:
:thumbsup:

Will see if he still says the same thing in December.

Also, this picture was taken at a Tallahassee pizza place.

BvlLfPxCEAAPH4C.jpg

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Vandy's offense put me to sleep last night. How does a new coach come in and say, "Yeah, we're going to go back to the pro style offense", when your only winning seasons in the last 40 years were with a spread offense? GTFO. Penn State may have killed Vandy football (if it was ever alive in the first place).

DiegoMarzipan

If you're here who's running the vape shop?
HI GUYZ I'M BACK. GO DAWGS K THX BAI.

But seriously, how the fuck did we lose to SCar. We made Dylan Thompson look like a Shiny Golden God. Luckily, every time we lose to USC-lite we end up winning the East.

Still waiting for that fat turd in Fayetteville to get his first SEC win, right?

I am looking forward to when he is coaching in the Sun Belt in about 5 years.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They'll beat LSU at the end of the year. Not sure about anyone else though. Fans seem pretty optimistic about their chances against Bama this weekend but I don't share that optimism.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Arkansas last 4 SEC games:

Loss 24-17 at home to Miss State (OT) - Frosh AA Alex Collins fumbles in side red zone with 2 minutes left in regulation.
Loss 31-27 on road to LSU - Gave up 99 yd TD drive in last 2 minutes to Fresh QB after Mettenberger was hurt
Loss 45-12 on road to Auburn - Got smoked in the 2nd half. Was 21-21 at halftime.
Loss 35-28 neutral site Texas A&M (OT) - Should have won this one, but again didn't seal the deal.

If you are a casual observer then you may wonder why a majority of Hog fans are happy with our fat ass coach with the smoking hot wife. The improvement between last year and this year is quite substantial. Bobby Petrino, while a great offensive mind, was not a great recruiter and was greatly helped by the Ryan Mallett transfer (grew up in Arkansas) and tremendous infusion of actual homegrown talent at the skill position: Jarius Wright (Vikings), Chris Gragg (Bills), Dennis Johnson (had a cup of coffee in the NFL), DJ Williams (3 years in the NFL) and he recruited Knile Davis (Chiefs). He ignored or just outright whiffed on almost every defensive position. Coach B has done very well in a short amount of time recruiting along the OL (2 FR-AA) and for overall depth.

The Hogs don't get the benefit of getting the weaker SEC East teams on the schedule and close with 5 of the next 7 teams in the Top 25 (4 of them in the Top 13: UGA, Bama, MSU, Ole Miss). At the end of the day I think Arkansas will upset some of those teams with it starting with UGA at home. Bottom line things are trending upwards although it may/probably is going to take a couple years for it to reflect in the W/L record.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
As an Arkansas fan I would rather play:

SEC East - South Carolina, UK, Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, Vanderbilt and Georgia

vice

SEC West - Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Okay. I'm probably not the first guy to say he was shocked to see Mizzou in the title game last year. I don't know what to think of them this year with the home loss to Indiana.

So as a Gator fan do you secretly want to the season to blow up and then make a run at Dan Mullen? Or do you hope for a 8-4/minor bowl type season which might be enough to keep Muschamp around.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Boggles the mind how bad Florida's offense has regressed since Urban left (and it wasn't very good his last year).

Boggles the mind how bad Florida's offense has regressed since Urban left (and it wasn't very good his last year).

It is particularly interesting given that all the UF fans wanted Addazio tarred and feathered in that last year of the Meyer era. As it turns out, Addazio can actually coach and ALL of the OCs that have been there subsequently have been diasters too.

I'm not trying to oversimplify things. Addazio's offense was pretty bad and it is tough to make comparisons between what the Gators were under Meyer and what they have been under Muschamp. Coach Boom is a good defensive coordinator, who doesn't look like he is well equipped to be a successful head coach. And his defensive mindset seems to make him so hostile to good offense that he can't even abide by having a good one of his own.

As an Arkansas fan I would rather play:

SEC East - South Carolina, UK, Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, Vanderbilt and Georgia

vice

SEC West - Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State

No doubt that the East is actually pretty weak, while the SEC West is a murderers row.

Wooly

We have called aTm daddy a&m for years...I dont even know the origins

@whiteyc_77 or some of the old guard might know
There was a short lived A&M fan some years ago here (don't remember his name), and he was talking a lot of trash about A&M, he called them "daddy A&M" once alluding to their dominance or something. He was so easy to mock, and "Daddy A&M" was born.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
There was a short lived A&M fan some years ago here (don't remember his name), and he was talking a lot of trash about A&M, he called them "daddy A&M" once alluding to their dominance or something. He was so easy to mock, and "Daddy A&M" was born.
Treva?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Arkansas last 4 SEC games:

Loss 24-17 at home to Miss State (OT) - Frosh AA Alex Collins fumbles in side red zone with 2 minutes left in regulation.
Loss 31-27 on road to LSU - Gave up 99 yd TD drive in last 2 minutes to Fresh QB after Mettenberger was hurt
Loss 45-12 on road to Auburn - Got smoked in the 2nd half. Was 21-21 at halftime.
Loss 35-28 neutral site Texas A&M (OT) - Should have won this one, but again didn't seal the deal.

If you are a casual observer then you may wonder why a majority of Hog fans are happy with our fat ass coach with the smoking hot wife. The improvement between last year and this year is quite substantial. Bobby Petrino, while a great offensive mind, was not a great recruiter and was greatly helped by the Ryan Mallett transfer (grew up in Arkansas) and tremendous infusion of actual homegrown talent at the skill position: Jarius Wright (Vikings), Chris Gragg (Bills), Dennis Johnson (had a cup of coffee in the NFL), DJ Williams (3 years in the NFL) and he recruited Knile Davis (Chiefs). He ignored or just outright whiffed on almost every defensive position. Coach B has done very well in a short amount of time recruiting along the OL (2 FR-AA) and for overall depth.

The Hogs don't get the benefit of getting the weaker SEC East teams on the schedule and close with 5 of the next 7 teams in the Top 25 (4 of them in the Top 13: UGA, Bama, MSU, Ole Miss). At the end of the day I think Arkansas will upset some of those teams with it starting with UGA at home. Bottom line things are trending upwards although it may/probably is going to take a couple years for it to reflect in the W/L record.

Arkansas fans like him because he coaches Arkansas. You know what I'm tom bout. They liked Houston Nutt for Pete's sake. Wally Hall(if you know who that is) is probably still clamoring for his return.

I think the knock against Petrino as a recruiter isn't true. Yeah, he got a lot of those guys from AR (how could you forget Joe Adams and Tyler Wilson?), but he locked that state down pretty well. Mallet is actually from Texas, as is Cobi Hamilton, but Texarkana basically is Arkansas so I see your point. Still, better to get most of your talent in state (when it's good) where they are crazy about the school rather than trying to go elsewhere and steal recruits. Bielema may be doing a better job at getting some outside talent, but his QB went to Fayetteville HS, which is essentially U of A Jr. and his best offensive player outside of his RBs is from Little Rock (his GF went to Bama because she thought he was going to go there, funny story). I think it's unfair to criticize Petrino for sticking to in-state for his offense when the offenses were really good. Arkansas HS has some pretty good offensive teams if you ignore the 800 million teams still running the wishbone. The defenses on the other hand, were awful, but that's just how Petrino is.

It is particularly interesting given that all the UF fans wanted Addazio tarred and feathered in that last year of the Meyer era. As it turns out, Addazio can actually coach and ALL of the OCs that have been there subsequently have been diasters too.

I'm not trying to oversimplify things. Addazio's offense was pretty bad and it is tough to make comparisons between what the Gators were under Meyer and what they have been under Muschamp. Coach Boom is a good defensive coordinator, who doesn't look like he is well equipped to be a successful head coach. And his defensive mindset seems to make him so hostile to good offense that he can't even abide by having a good one of his own.

The criticism of Addazio was well warranted IMO. He was an awful OC for Florida. He lost some personnel in '09 (Harvin) and '10 (Tebow, Cooper, some others) but even with all the talent in '09, they weren't that great. They basically relied on Tebow to do everything and it showed when they got torched against Alabama (a team they beat by double digits with Mullen). Looking at the stats, they increased their yardage from '08 to '09 by about 13 per game but their PPG dropped by almost 10. 2010 was a laughingstock of a year offensively. I talked to @PSUEagle somewhat about this recently and he thinks more blame should be put on Meyer for not adjusting to a non-mobile QB, which is true, but they did pretty well with Leak running the show in '05 and '06 and Mullen at OC. Addazio can coach, he was a good OL coach for UF, but he's a terrible OC. Their recent OCs have been horrible because like in 2010, no one adjusts to personnel. They've been trying to run a pro-style offensive with Jeff Driskel at QB. Good luck with that.

Brick

Petrino "lucky" on offense to get talent lol. Get out. That talent was lucky to work with petrino.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
You didn't grow up there or like the team so I will go easy on you:

- Arkansas fans wanted HDN gone. Some crazy fans hired a plane to fly over the stadium with banners for his dismissal (which I didn't agree with). He took the job at Ole Miss because he was a step ahead of the posse.

- Mallett grew up in Lincoln, Ark (little town outside of Fayetteville) and moved to Texarkana in the 8th grade. He was always a big fan and attended all the Hog FB camps. HDN didn't recruit him that hard because he put all his eggs in the Mitch Mustain basket (who was a class behind him). Mallett was homesick as soon as he arrived in Ann Arbor and when they hired RichRod, and we hired Petrino, it was a match made in heaven.

- Petrino did some great things, but the attrition rate in his classes was horrible. Even if he didn't have the motorcycle wreck/skank scandal he would have struggled some due to his recruiting.

- I say he was fortunate because typically Arkansas only produces 8-12 legit D1 players, and rarely as talented as the skill players in-state when he arrived (that we already mentioned).

- In a short amount of time Bielema has established a mini-pipeline into Miami (true frosh AA Denver Kirkland and Alex Collins). The team GPA is highest it's ever been and knock on wood no arrests/player issues. He had a track record of success in building big athletic OLs, versatile TEs and elite RBs at Wisconsin - and you are. starting to see the beginnings of that in Fayetteville. It's just going to take some time and patience to build the program back up (Petrino was 5-7 his first year)

One more thing, no one takes that midget Wally Hall seriously. He is a hack.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I would say living there from 4th-12th grade is growing up there haha. Good to know no one takes Wally seriously.

I know Houston Nutt was kind of pushed out after the whole Malzahn fiasco (which is one of the worst coaching moves in all time in retrospect), but I always got the impression that he was well liked up to that point.

The Petrino attrition thing is pretty common, it happened at Louisville as well. I don't know if it would've happened at Arkansas like it did had he stayed, he never stays places long enough for you to find out.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I would say living there from 4th-12th grade is growing up there haha. Good to know no one takes Wally seriously.

I know Houston Nutt was kind of pushed out after the whole Malzahn fiasco (which is one of the worst coaching moves in all time in retrospect), but I always got the impression that he was well liked up to that point.

The Petrino attrition thing is pretty common, it happened at Louisville as well. I don't know if it would've happened at Arkansas like it did had he stayed, he never stays places long enough for you to find out.

It would have been nice to see what Arkansas offense good have been with McFadden, Peyton Hillis and Felix Jones in the backfield the year Malzahn was the OC. Malzahn was the OC, but that was in name only as everyone knows that Hootie was still calling the plays.

Brick

petrino only had 1 losing season in 10 years of head corching in college. his second "worst" record is 8-5.

Petrino did some great things, but the attrition rate in his classes was horrible. Even if he didn't have the motorcycle wreck/skank scandal he would have struggled some due to his recruiting.

please. the evidence of this is where? look at petrino's head coaching history. he has never had a season where his team didn't improve on the record of the previous year.

teams always fall back on the "recruiting"/"he ruined mah program/CUPBOARD BARE" thing when a new corch comes in and doesn't do well. petrino recruited FOR HIS OWN TEAM, not for the next coach. and he has been an outstanding success at every college stop. Louisville bitch about the same thing. I don't understand how that is a knock on petrino.

he lost 4 total SEC games in his final two years. beilema is 0-4 in his last four SEC games, but hey, at least he is looking good doing it.

post-6493-Jennifer-Lawrence-okay-thumbs-ilbJ.gif

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
petrino only had 1 losing season in 10 years of head corching in college. his second "worst" record is 8-5.

please. the evidence of this is where? look at petrino's head coaching history. he has never had a season where his team didn't improve on the record of the previous year.

teams always fall back on the "recruiting"/"he ruined mah program/CUPBOARD BARE" thing when a new corch comes in and doesn't do well. petrino recruited FOR HIS OWN TEAM, not for the next coach. and he has been an outstanding success at every college stop. Louisville bitch about the same thing. I don't understand how that is a knock on petrino.

he lost 4 total SEC games in his final two years. beilema is 0-4 in his last four SEC games, but hey, at least he is looking good doing it.

post-6493-Jennifer-Lawrence-okay-thumbs-ilbJ.gif

Half of his last 2 classes (11,12) are out of the program. Most due to being academic and athletic reaches. The guy did not work recruiting and the staff he hired around him were not exceptional recruiters either.

Did I say he wasn't a good coach? Sure they would have been better under Petrion who was a crazy/Type A/maniacal asshole who left no detail to chance. And truthfully i still wish he was there, but I stamd by my argument that the Hogs would have still struggled because of all the recruiting misses.

Lightningwar

Administrator
You would have to look at the attrition rates of classes previous to get a good picture of things. From my experience by the time a class reaches their final years. Only about 1/3rd to half of them are still on the team. Some of it is academic, some of it is they didnt pan out and quit, some of it is they were oversold and transfered.