• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Pac-12 Thread

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Ugh. SC simply can't finish games. And that likely won't change until there's a full squad of bodies to rotate into games. This team has talent, and isn't that far away from being pretty damn good. But those last missing elements aren't easy to get, either. Depth, killer instinct, cool under pressure, etc. ---- you can't fake any of those.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Ugh. SC simply can't finish games. And that likely won't change until there's a full squad of bodies to rotate into games. This team has talent, and isn't that far away from being pretty damn good. But those last missing elements aren't easy to get, either. Depth, killer instinct, cool under pressure, etc. ---- you can't fake any of those.

Eh - there have been four games this year which came down to the last series or last few minutes of the game. We are 2-2 in these games (Stanford and Arizona were wins, ASU and Utah losses). All four could have been wins, and all four could have been losses. The quality is definitely there, but quantity is indeed lacking. On Utah's last drive, you could see the SC defense was pretty gassed.

Offensively, WTF is up with the center? I can't recall that number of bad snaps in a game---ever. Kessler was the top receiver in that game, because he made the most difficult catches. Kessler also didn't play very well (even when the snap was flawless), continually missing receivers and making bad throws (although the INT wasn't entirely his fault). Buck Allen was effective as usual, but without the passing game to complement it, even his contributions aren't enough.

Bdub

WTF is up with the USC band? They played over Utah's band all night on Saturday. Completely classless.

Bdub

Same thing they do to everyone. They play none stop over everything and everyone. I heard some in the band tried to start shit with fans but who knows if that's true. I think they are banned from Oregon as well.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Same thing they do to everyone. They play none stop over everything and everyone. I heard some in the band tried to start shit with fans but who knows if that's true. I think they are banned from Oregon as well.

It would be awesome if, instead of their usual instruments, Stanford issued them all vuvuzelas. :laughing:

I'm sure it had to be more than simple rudeness (for which they are renowned). IIRC, Notre Dame banned them because they basically made fun of the Irish Potato Famine.

Bdub

Yeah you are right, apparently they all wore name tags like Mormon missionaries wear. That's actually funny but they could have been more original.

ebarws6

stAy
Stanford's banishment in Oregon was because of the Spotted Owl Show

In 1990, Stanford suspended the band for a single game after their halftime show at the University of Oregon criticized the logging of the spotted owl's habitats in the northwest United States. The band used formations in the shape of a chainsaw and in the shape of the word OWL changing to AWOL. Governor Neil Goldschmidt(D-OR) issued a decree that the band not return to Oregon for several years; the band did not return until 2001. After the spotted owl incident, all halftime shows were reviewed and approved by Stanford's Athletic Department.

Snorky's Shame

Yeah you are right, apparently they all wore name tags like Mormon missionaries wear. That's actually funny but they could have been more original.

Brigham Young fans booed the Stanford band after a halftime show in Palo Alto about ten years ago. IIRC, it was about Mormons and Polygamy.

Last edited:

ebarws6

stAy
Brigham Young fans booed the Stanford band after a halftime show in Palo Alto about ten years. IIRC, it was about Mormons and Polygamy.

Yeah I was at that game, 2004 I believe. The Dollies (Stanford dance team that is basically the cheerleaders) all had veils on and "married" the drum major during the halftime show.

BigDmo

USC band is unbearable, playing DUH DUH DUHDUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH after every fucking positive play is the most annoying bullshit ever. I loathe the fact NCAA Football put it in the game, as accurate as it is. I sim every game at USC because I don't wanna hear that shit.

bruin

clap-clap-clap-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2242.gif

Bdub

I could care less about the funny shit some bands do, but when ur at another stadium don't start playing over the home teams band. At one point they were honoring a wounded warrior and the USC band starts up playing in the middle of it. After that the fans over there would start chanting "classless" every time they would start up.

bruin

Our defense should build on last week. Brett and Mazzone know he has to run. Will be a test for McDermott, but not shocking to see our running game take off once we got a true LT. Shaq Thompson playing RB full time takes away from their defense. Miles doesn't scare me, should stack the box.

need Duarte healthy, we're missing him over the middle. Team will be ready to play for Mora going back to Seattle.

Think our defense will shut them down. If Brett can run, we should win going away. If their front 4 is toying with us, will be close.

also see how Washington goes after Myles
MylesJackFingerLickinGood.gif

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Agreed. As long as Mazzone recognizes that Hundley's biggest strength is running, everything will be aight.

bruin

Marcus Peters kicked off Washington.

Huge talent.

Attack the freshmen secondary, Mazzone.

Last edited:

Bdub

Loving it so far, beautiful city. Went to Antelope Island yesterday for a while, breathtaking
Head up to Park City if you get a chance, awesome place. Mountains are probably nothing special to you but, Snowbird is a beautiful ski resort that has a trap that will take you to the top of the mountain.

Were are you sitting at the game?

Marcus Peters kicked off Washington.

Huge talent.

Attack the freshmen secondary, Mazzone.

I would prefer he try and do that versus stick with the run. The freshmen corners will make mistakes, but they are talented and could come up with some plays. Plus trying to beat them will give the UW pass rushers time to do their thing.

bruin

I would prefer he try and do that versus stick with the run. The freshmen corners will make mistakes, but they are talented and could come up with some plays. Plus trying to beat them will give the UW pass rushers time to do their thing.

Well, I would like to see the Bruins to go to a quick passing game early. If Mazzone dials it up like he did against Utah(meaning Hundley taking 7 step drops), then yeah UDUB's rush defense will have a field day. Spread them out, go wide and wear them down. Then hopefully the Bruins will have success up the middle running the ball.

Bdub

UDub is pretty sub par this year. I don't see UCLA having any problems with them.

BigDmo

Head up to Park City if you get a chance, awesome place. Mountains are probably nothing special to you but, Snowbird is a beautiful ski resort that has a trap that will take you to the top of the mountain.

Were are you sitting at the game?

Visiting section, 40 some rows up. It's in one of the corners

Brick

I'm more nervous for this game than I was for Stanford. I hope Oregon runs a lot. Scared of long down and distance and Mariota being stripped. If Oregon loses, that's the culprit.

Mariota's biggest crutch by far is ball security. I would be trying to strip him every single time.

Also can see Utah keeping Oregon's offense off the field. If Armstead isn't playing I have little faith the defense can stop Utah's running game from piling up first downs.

Furd only punted once and they had a pretty successful day on offense in my opinion. Cal ripped the D. Not buying the "Oregon found their best rotation of players on D" meme. Truth is they are average at best.

I would love to be in Salt Lake for this one. Should have refused to board the plane to New Orleans on my layover.

Oregon should pull it out because of Robo QB and Oregon's skill players will give anyone trouble. Would not be surprised with a loss.

Last edited:

Mame YO

slings rocks
Obviously stopping Oregon's run game is key to slowing down the ducks, but mariota really has become a robot. Look at this:

According to ESPN Stats & Info, Mariota ranks second among Power 5 quarterbacks in completion percentage against the blitz this season (76.5). He's seventh in yards per attempt against the blitz (10.4) and third in percentage of passes resulting in touchdowns against pressure (17.6).

IMO Utah's run game could be scary and is the main thing to watch, but I just think they're too one dimensional and any average defense can load the box.

To me a Utah win would be surprising. They're too one dimensional and lack the ability to get explosive plays and they're poor on passing downs so they'll sputter on 3rd and 6+. Oregon's defense isn't very good this year but they've already faced better offenses this year. Utah's defense is really good, but Oregon's offense is Oregon's offense.

Brick

I mean yeah, Oregon is better and would smoke Utah at home. But this is a night road game coming off a huge win that Oregon had really looked forward to. It will be rowdy. Utah and their fans will be pumped up.

Utah plays a style that could really rattle Oregon if they get a hold of the game early and the crowd stays in it.

Bdub

Utah is Stanford. They will try the same game plan as Stanford has in the past. They are an extremely physical team and the defense is super aggressive. If they can get to Mariota and control the clock with Booker it will be a close game. Utah will get their yards on the ground as they have done against much better defenses who stacked the box.

In the end I think Oregon wins but it won't be a walk in the park for Oregon.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I never said it'd be a walk in the park I just don't think Utah has all the necessary ingredients to put together a win. On 3rd and 7+ they've had 40 attempts and completed 47% of such passes for only 10 first downs (25%). In fact, their inability to pass them the ball has led to them only reaching the red zone just over 3 times per game despite their strong running game - and when they actually reach the end zone they score a TD just over 50% of the time, which is second worst in the pac12 and near the bottom of the national rankings.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Best offensive game of the year, dominated UDub

Should've had 48 points and 500 yards of offense but the refs suck dick

bruin

fapfapafapfapfapfpafpapfppafpappfpapfpapfapfpapfpapfpapfpapfpapfpapfpsppfpasppdppdpsp

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
ASU is first, UCLA is in 2nd with Zona but they hold tiebreakers over both

If ASU loses and UCLA beats SC and Furd, UCLA is in