• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

New League Discussion

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I just think the Venn Diagram of "New features that New Owners would benefit from/rejoin because of" and "Things only a new league can do" isn't enough overlap to justify a brand new one. These are some of the things mentioned:
  • Tutorials for new players, Veteran GMs helping New ones
  • More Owners to help with trading/Lack of AI Unbalance
  • AI Teams sign FA to induce more scarcity to help with trading (if needed bc not full with owners)
  • IFA hard capped or removed
  • Revenue Sharing increased/Parachute payment of cash for new owners
  • Live Sims, Game of the Week, Live Drafts
  • Draft Grades, Forum posts, etc.
  • New/Relocated teams, uniforms
None of this is exclusive to a new league in the slightest, so why do so in the first place? Give it a few seasons of implmenting these changes in the WBL and if the new owners like it then we're good to go. Furthermore, there's no guarantees a new league is balanced player pool wise, I'll explain this when I go over my 8~ year sim tutorial but there's always going to be imbalance.

I think it would peak new owners interests far more if you simmed forward 20 years. It gives a fresh start that I think those new to the game would feel on an equal footing (not just the game difficulty but from a shared experience perspective) and be likely to stay far longer. One of the problems is that there is from a new owners perspective I would feel a much bigger sense of belonging if we had all started from a similar point. This imo is the biggest barrier to recruiting new owners.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Every time we get a new owner we should just create a new league.

Well other than me who joined for some inexplicable reason, I think the only time I've seen this many people interested in joining is when SOMEONE SUGGESTED CREATING A NEW LEAGUE.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Y’all just need to decide what changes are going to be made. Some don’t require a sim forward, some do, some require a whole new league but until the changes are decided on it is all theoretical

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
What people?

Yes in three seasons we haven’t had much interest.

I've been on this board for 16 years. You're not exactly reeling them in. @NML has successfully interested more people in one go than I have seen since you started the thing....

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Is it a dealbreaker for all the interested new owners? I won't put words in anyone's mouth but I think only a few of them actually requested a whole new league. I mean, can't we just get Reel and OU to come back and add all the changes we want and call it a day? It'd leave us with just one open team and we could unfortunately wrangle back Wolfman to fill that spot. Have we even tried the OOTP Forums yet?

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I just think the Venn Diagram of "New features that New Owners would benefit from/rejoin because of" and "Things only a new league can do" isn't enough overlap to justify a brand new one. These are some of the things mentioned:
  • Tutorials for new players, Veteran GMs helping New ones
  • More Owners to help with trading/Lack of AI Unbalance
  • AI Teams sign FA to induce more scarcity to help with trading (if needed bc not full with owners)
  • IFA hard capped or removed
  • Revenue Sharing increased/Parachute payment of cash for new owners
  • Live Sims, Game of the Week, Live Drafts
  • Draft Grades, Forum posts, etc.
  • New/Relocated teams, uniforms
None of this is exclusive to a new league in the slightest, so why do so in the first place? Give it a few seasons of implmenting these changes in the WBL and if the new owners like it then we're good to go. Furthermore, there's no guarantees a new league is balanced player pool wise, I'll explain this when I go over my 8~ year sim tutorial but there's always going to be imbalance.

I've done a little of this with the Otto teams. Not going out and throwing big money at the top guys, but offering FA's to fill roster holes instead of calling up a guy with 35 contact from AA.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
whiteyc_77 Reel goblue96 kingssc Schauwn nowitsourtime GatorTD Worst OU

This is the list of interested owners from the first post, + Worst and OU. Whitey, Kings, and Sour haven't even posted in this thread, Schauwn and Gator have just stopped in ultra briefly to talk about their past times in the league, and we're left with goblue, reel, worst, and OU. Are any of those 4 demanding a new league entirely, or can we just fix the problems in this one and welcome them in? I didn't get the gist from any of their posts that they were, but maybe NML has different information in his PMs saying otherwise.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The WBL has been around for about 5 and a half years, maybe 6 (started right before we left for Nutopia, and the UBL probably a couple of years before that

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I didn’t realize hayvisit so closely followed the WBL prior to joining. The pool of players have basically been the same. Sour is the only name that rings truly new to me. That’s awesome he was able to contact these people. Recruiting is everyone’s job, not just mine. I’ve apparently done nothing ever though. Some much vitriol thrown directly at me for some reason :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
What, when the league was young a few years ago?

We started in 36 IIRC, so it was about a quarter or half way through. We had so much immersion and interest we expanded to fill it. This isn’t the only time in the history of nutopia that there’s been interest

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I didn’t realize hayvisit so closely followed the WBL prior to joining. The pool of players have basically been the same. Sour is the only name that rings truly new to me. That’s awesome he was able to contact these people. Recruiting is everyone’s job, not just mine. I’ve apparently done nothing ever though. Some much vitriol thrown directly at me for some reason :laughing:

Now it sour time was the Brawlers owner amirite?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
We started in 36 IIRC, so it was about a quarter or half way through. We had so much immersion and interest we expanded to fill it. This isn’t the only time in the history of nutopia that there’s been interest

Oh sorry then. My mistake. I thought you were having trouble with getting new owners interested over the past few years, and that this was the only time there was significant interest. I didn't realise there was that one other time several years ago when lots of people wanted to play.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I've been on this board for 16 years. You're not exactly reeling them in. @NML has successfully interested more people in one go than I have seen since you started the thing....

No slight to NML and his effort here but I think most of us have actually recruited 4 of those 5 people before.

NML

I’ve heard a version of “the league is fine, we just need more owners” about fifty different times

Is it so difficult to consider that we don’t have new owners because the league isn’t fine?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

You are so serious all of the time. It's really tiring.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Oh sorry then. My mistake. I thought you were having trouble with getting new owners interested over the past few years, and that this was the only time there was significant interest. I didn't realise there was that one other time several years ago when lots of people wanted to play.

I forgive you

NML

I’m sure it’s also a total coincidence that all these people were suddenly interested even though we’ve had openings for years, and definitely had nothing to do with it being for a new league

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I’ve heard a version of “the league is fine, we just need more owners” about fifty different times

Is it so difficult to consider that we don’t have new owners because the league isn’t fine?
This is why it would be nice to hear what isn’t fine from them.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Ah that may be. I might be wrong but I just always thought of him as the original BC Brawlers but he only lasted a season or less
I think it was a couple seasons. I think he won ships both times with Al Walker and Pat Morrison.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Can you just show your PMs you have with these guys? The only people who are saying they require a new league and new owners aren't interested unless it's a new league are you and hayvis, neither of whom are new owners.

NML

I’m not gonna share PMs, nor am I saying they “require” a new league

I’m just saying that we’ve had openings for quite a while, but all these people jumped when I mentioned a new league. Maybe everyone is happy to stick around? Maybe someone is happy to take Lisbon over with half the budget of LV and they’ll stick around.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

I’m just saying that we’ve had openings for quite a while, but all these people jumped when I mentioned a new league. Maybe everyone is happy to stick around? Maybe someone is happy to take Lisbon over with half the budget of LV and they’ll stick around.

I’ll take Lisbon if they have a lower budget than Amsterdam

ZackMills

Have mercy
The initial message to me asked about joining a new league, not playing OOTP. He planted the seed in our minds about a new league and mentioned a fresh start!

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
This is where I can help. I'm a newish owner.

Can you fill me in? Just bullet points or something.

I have no problem doing FA signings for the Otto teams during the offseason. That should help some with glut of good free agents signing for pennies in spring training. I'm sure @Yankee151 or someone would collaborate on that with me so no one can gripe about where guys end up.

I'm also fine with getting rid of IFA. It's not something I've used very much- Dean Bainton is the first guy I've really thrown a bunch of cash at. Almost all of the guys I've signed were busts anyway.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer

I just think we try that first, and sure let's bump up their budget while we're at it if that's really the sticking point for them. I would rather try what we have while it's still here than uproot everything and lose old owners.

NML

Again - it’s great that veteran owners don’t see an issue starting from the bottom. But please point to the last example of an owner that started at the bottom and stuck around. Maybe wolfman? Tony won a WS his first season so he doesn’t count