• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Hachiko's Spirit of Leafa College Football Dynasty

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Aika Tsube and Souji Mitsuka, the parents of future Leafa Spirit FB Andrew Mitsuka.

"Andy From Lara" Will Join Spirit Gridiron in '73

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 17, 2072

Halfback Andrew Shinji Mitsuka is a small scatback at 5'9", 196 lbs. However, this speedy running back from Lara, Victoria is capable of being a strong blocker and will be most likely used as a fullback next season for Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron team. One visit and a little elbow grease by Coach Harding was all it took for the son of Souji "Tail Red" Mitsuka and Aika "Tail Blue" Tsube to be convinced that Leafa was the only option.

"Coach Harding came and paid a visit and told me to head over to the capital to watch a game of gridiron," said Mitsuka via phone interview. "I was able to visit early and I was impressed by the fitness, the play, the execution of all the guys. These mates are really good at what they do, and so I decided to go ahead and commit to the Spirit for Season 2073.

"I was born in Tokyo, Japan to a couple of middle-class parents. My father, Souji, has a passion for women with twin tails, or bunches, and he's capable of turning into a twin-tailed woman herself. When I was 10, Dad demonstrated, and as I result, I am proud to say that I have a dad and a mum, or a mum and a mum. Speaking of which, my mum, Aika Tsube, earned a black belt in karate at a young age and is a skilled fighter. I inherited her toughness and confident attitude.

"I also have a mother-in-law, Anko Isuna, who is, for all intents and purposes a godmother to me because she is very wise, very academic and often tutored me when I moved to Australia when I was three. She has a daughter, Aisa Shigure, who is, ironically, the reincarnation of the Japanese World War II ship of the same name. I just got married to her over the winter, which is why Anko is my mother-in-law. I prefer to call her Auntie.

Anko Isuna (left), the mother-in-law of Andrew Mitsuka, with her now brother-in-law Souji.

Aisa Shigure, Andrew Mitsuka's wife.

"When I first started getting involved in sports, I first thought about playing AFL for a living. My parents are Geelong fans, I'm a Geelong supporter, but Auntie and Aisa are Richmond supporters. So when those two meet, it's always fun banter over sausage sizzles, chips, meat pies and burgers with beetroot. My mates at Lara Secondary College, they say, 'Ey look mates, it's Andy from Lara! Hey Andy from Lara, wanna play footy?' Then I oblige. I'm a jack of all trades but I prefer to play a midfield position. However, as time went on I'm too short to really be considering playing the game of footy for a living. At the same time, whenever there was a game at Kardinia Park involving the Cats, me, Mum and Dad went out to watch it and ofter the Cats would get it done.

"I am looking forward to finishing my time at Lara Secondary and I find it strange that no one realizes I got a dad that can turn into a mum and I got a mum that treats my dad like a younger brother. But I really look up to my mum a lot as well as Auntie because I get inspired to do well in school. I hope I can perform and help build the foundation for a lot of good things at Leafa.

"I do have an not-too-well-kept secret: I also like twin tailed girls and I can also change into a woman too. I demonstrated this to my mates on the gridiron club. I turn into a really big-breasted cheerleader with ideal proportions and long green twin tails. I said, "from now on boys, you will call me Andrea, my Japanese name will be Shuko, and I shall be known as Tail Green!" They got a good laugh out of that as I returned back to my normal form. We've yet to lose in our league. I bless the day I was a part of the Lara Varsity Blues, the greatest juniors gridiron club in all of Geelong. Soon, people will know who 'Andy from Lara' is, and I will make Mum, Dad, Auntie and my wife Aisa proud. I'm feelin' it."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Slow Start, Fast Finish For Leafa Gridiron Against Air Force

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 23, 2072

It was a slow start for Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron team against the Air Force Falcons, as the match rocked backed and forth early on in the first quarter. But once Air Force tied the game up midway through the opening term, Coach Harding gathered the players around and gave a passionate pep talk.

"I told the lads, how bad do you want to deliver the kamikaze on these bloody bastards," Coach Harding said after the 153-14 smashing the Spirit delivered on the Falcons at Yunipingu Field in Canberra. "Cooper [Kanie] was feeling really pissed after throwing an interception for a touchdown that he was screaming stuff to the receivers like, 'Get fucking wide open next time or these fucking cunts are gonna bloody well burn us!' Rubbish like that. Cooper doesn't like making mistakes when running plays and he reacted with an otherwise strong performance."

Kanie, the primary quarterback for the Spirit, passed for 329 yards, ran for 344 more yards and scored 11 total touchdowns on offense. Defensively, left outside linebacker Nick Mikisugi had 12 tackles, five sacks, a forced fumble and an interception. Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 425 yards and five touchdowns, halfback Ethan Wakamatsu ran for 143 yards and three scores, wide receiver Dayne Tsunashi caught four passes for 73 yards and a major score, offensive lineman Casey Fasi led the blockers with 30 pancakes and defensive lineman Sam Touzokuyama had four sacks. Finally, wide receiver and returner Archer Hiiro returned a punt 70 yards for a touchdown.

Leafa improve to 7-0 and return to action next week against the Utah State Aggies at home.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique Of The National Gallery of Australia

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 24, 2072

The National Gallery of Australia (NGA; originally the Australian National Gallery) is the national art museum of Australia as well as the largest art museum in the country, holding more than 166,000 works of art. It was established in 1967 by the Australian government as a national public art museum.

Tom Roberts, a famous Australian, had lobbied various Australian prime ministers, starting with the first, Edmund Barton. Prime Minister Andrew Fisher accepted the idea in 1910, and the following year Parliament established a bipartisan committee of six political leaders—the Historic Memorials Committee. The Committee decided that the government should collect portraits of Australian governors-general, parliamentary leaders and the principal "fathers" of federation to be painted by Australian artists. This led to the establishment of what became known as the Commonwealth Art Advisory Board (CAAB), which was responsible for art acquisitions until 1973. Nevertheless, the Parliamentary Library Committee also collected paintings for the Australian collections of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Library, including landscapes, notably the acquisition of Tom Roberts' Allegro con brio, Bourke St West in 1918. Prior to the opening of the Gallery these paintings were displayed around Parliament House, in Commonwealth offices, including diplomatic missions overseas, and State Galleries.

From 1912, the building of a permanent building to house the collection in Canberra was the major priority of the CAAB. However, this period included two World Wars and a Depression and governments always considered they had more pressing priorities, including building the initial infrastructure of Canberra and Old Parliament House in the 1920s and the rapid expansion of Canberra and the building of government offices, Lake Burley Griffin and the National Library of Australia in the 1950s and early 1960s. Finally in 1965 the CAAB was able to persuade Prime Minister Robert Menzies to take the steps necessary to establish the gallery. On 1 November 1967, Prime Minister Harold Holt formally announced that the Government would construct the building.

The National Gallery building is in the late 20th-century Brutalist style. It is characterised by angular masses and raw concrete surfaces and is surrounded by a series of sculpture gardens planted with Australian native plants and trees.

The geometry of the building is based on a triangle, most obviously manifested for visitors in the coffered ceiling grids and tiles of the principal floor. Madigan said of this device that it was "the intention of the architectural concept to implant into the grammar of the design a sense of freedom so that the building could be submitted to change and variety but would always express its true purpose". This geometry flows throughout the building, and is reflected in the triangular stair towers, columns and building elements.

The building is principally constructed of reinforced bush hammered concrete, which was also originally the interior wall surface. More recently, the interior walls have been covered with painted wood, to allow for increased flexibility in the display of artworks.

The building has 23,000 m2 of floor space. The design provides space for both the display and storage of works of art and to accommodate the curatorial and support staff of the Gallery. Madigan's design is based on Sweeney's recommendation that there should be a spiral plan, with a succession of galleries to display works of art of differing sizes and to allow flexibility in the way in which they were to be exhibited.

There are three levels of galleries. On the principal floor, the galleries are large, and are used to display the Indigenous Australian and International (meaning European and American) collections. The bottom level also contains a series of large galleries, originally intended to house sculpture, but now used to display the Asian art collection. The topmost level contains a series of smaller, more intimate galleries, which are now used to display the Gallery’s collection of Australian art. Sweeney had recommended that sources of natural light should not detract from the collections, and so light sources are intended to be indirect.

The High Court and National Gallery Precinct were added to the Australian National Heritage List in November 2007.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa Gridiron Mow Down Utah State Aggies

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
October 30, 2072

Dan Harding's Leafa Spirit Gridiron Team were in full force at Yunipingu Field in Canberra, ACT, holding the Utah State Aggies to only two field goals in a 129-6 lynching, Quarterback Cooper Kanie passed for 219 yards and rushed for 397 yards, scoring 11 total touchdowns on the ground. Left end Sam Touzokuyama led the defense with 11 tackles and seven sacks.

"Cooper had a weak afternoon throwing the ball," said Coach Harding after the match. "However in terms of running with the footy, he did a good job using his athleticism and spearheading another strong performance from the offence. Our pass rush was on song, as well, so a good job, good effort from everyone involved."

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 403 yards and four touchdowns, halfback Ethan Wakamatsu ran for 118 yards and two scores, wideout Mitch Kihara caught five passes for 44 yards and a major and wideout Xavier Kim led the blockers with 26 pancakes. Kihara also had 20 pancakes.

Aside from Touzokuyama's sensational hitout, linebacker Roy Hanamura had 15 tackles, two sacks and an interception while cornerback Daniel Tachibana also had 15 tackles. Three other players on defense also had an interception, while linebacker David Hazuki returned a fumble 67 yards for a major score.

Leafa improve to 8-0 on the season and will hit the road next week to face the Boise State Broncos of Boise, Idaho to continue Mountain West Conference play.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Tove Lo Lives On...As A Gridiron Up-And-Comer

By Graeme Wong
Spirit News
November 1, 2072

Steven Tove Lo Shen Dzu is a 7'5", 252-lb defensive end from Wollongong, NSW. His Chinese name is Lo Shen Dzu, named after the 2,000-lb plus god pig whose blood full of lead and heavy metals flows down the streets of a small town in Taiwan every year. However, his English name, Steven Tove Lo, is named after his great-grandmother on his mother's side, Ebba Nilsson, also known as Tove Lo. However, he pronounces the name differently, for starters.

Ebba Tove Elsa "Tove Lo" Nilsson,
the great-grandmother of Steven Tove Lo Shen Dzu on his mother's side.

"I pronounce Tove like the word cove instead of toh-veh," said Lo after practice with the local gridiron club at Illawarra Sports High School. "It's deliberately ironic because my team in the A-League is not Sydney FC. [The Cove is Sydney FC's primary supporters' group.] I sing for [Western Sydney\ Wanderers like I will sing for Leafa next year.

Amane Suou, the grandmother of Steven Tove Lo Shen Dzu on his father's side.

"I am part Swedish, part Japanese, part Chinese and part Australian. I am fluent in four different languages: Swedish, Japanese, Chinese and English, although English is my main tongue. My teammates have a nickname for me: 'Habits,' named after the famous song by my great-grandmother, who is an accomplished singer-songwriter. I tick all the boxes because in my first year, I did eat dinners in my bathtub, went to sex clubs with fake IDS watching freaky people get it on, got home and got the munchies, ate a box of Twinkies before throwing up one hour later because I am lactose-intolerant, slept in on weekends when I wasn't at school, pick-up potential baby mommas older than me at the playground and sleeping with them with consent because of my upbringing and social status, and I do get restless at times.

Eiko Mamiya, Steven Lo's newly-married wife. A hotel/restaurant management major.

"That was until I decided to join the American Football Club at Illawarra Sports High. I was destined to join the rugby league team as a prop and when they decided to open up this new team, I joined and became the club's leading tackler. But after I told them what I had done for one year, they called me 'Habits." I dropped a lot of pounds from all the bad habits I put in and now I'm as strong as an Ox and slim like Jim {Steven's cousin on his mother's side, thrice removed).

"I am excited about being a part of the Leafa Spirit because there's been some great things happening in Canberra. To lead the country in this sport from the nation's capital is an experience I am looking forward to, and I bet all my other mates are as well. I want to make Eiko proud to, because she is expecting a newly born set of twins in two months and I have to do the cooking now because she usually does it and she can't because of the babies on the way. Cooking great food is also a habit of mine that I don't plan to break any time soon because my wife won't let me let it die."

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa Race Past A Feisty Boise State

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 6, 2072

The Boise State Broncos weren't going to roll over against Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron. But while they did dump 52 points on the Spirit, quarterback Cooper Kanie had other plans. Kanie passed for 347 yards and rushed for 285 yards while scoring nine offensive touchdowns en route to a 129-52 win for the Spirit against Boise State at Bronco Stadium in Boise, Idaho. Defensively, cornerback Billy Ooji led the secondary with 11 tackles and three interceptions and is certain to win NCAA and Mountain West defensive player of the week honors.

"What a game we had this time," said Coach Harding after the match. "Boise made us work today. They are a good team, one of the best we've faced all year. They have one of the finest offenses in college football and for them to score as many points and rack up as many yards as they did is a testament to their resilience and tenacity.

"But for us, we know that we needed to get the job done and the boys delivered. So we are looking to next week's Spirit Senior Day game against a Fresno State team that we look to bury next week, since they are in the way in our quest for the big prize."

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 284 yards and six touchdowns, wide receiver Xavier Kim caught seven receptions for 159 yards and three touchdowns, and wideout Mitch Kihara led the blockers with 23 pancakes. Linebacker Roy Hanamura had 18 tackles and two interceptions, one which was returned 33 yards for a score.

Leafa improve to 9-0 and return to action next week against the Fresno State Bulldogs in Spirit Senior Day 2072.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Flynn Azuma Looking To Finally Get His Big Break

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 7, 2072

The hometown hero, halfback Flynn Azuma has yet to receive playing time for Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron team, but that will change this time around as Azuma is slated to start for the Spirit against the Fresno State Bulldogs in Spirit Senior Day 2072 at Yunipingu Field in Canberra, ACT. When asked of his biggest inspiration, Azuma laid a knowing smile.

Marine Amagi, the fiancee of Leafa Spirit halfback Flynn Azuma, with two of Flynn's future cousins, Hercule "Elly" Barton (left) and "Sheryl" Sherlock Shellingford.

"My fiancee Marine Amagi," Azuma said. "She is the love of my life, the reason I am planning to be a husband, the reason I am playing for Leafa. I remember the day we met back at my first year at UC Senior Secondary College, Lake Ginnindera in Belconnen. At first I thought her name was pronounced the way we pronounce it, but I found out it was the prounced mah-ree-nay. So I called her Rinny, and she called me Flinny. It's been that way ever since.

"Rinny told me she wanted to move to Australia because she was tired of being an idol and wanted to work perhaps as a stay-at-home mom or do a different profession other than singing. I asked her, you want to enroll at Leafa with me? She said, 'Sure, Flinny, let's do this, love.' One thing I like about Rinny is that she can speak English like she's lived in Hoppers Crossing all her life. 100% fluent in it. So after we make a campus visit to Leafa, we knew that we were going to enroll here."

"When I got to Leafa with my fiancee, we needed to decide what clubs to join. Rinny's now a Leafa Cheergirl, while I'm on the gridiron team as a halfback. Ethan [Wakamatsu] and Jackson [Tatara] have been ahead of me on the depth chart, so I haven't had a lot of playing time. But this week, Coach told me I'm ready to go ahead and get the start, so I will show everyone what I can do.

"It's strange that I, a son of two martial artists-actually, my aunt Minami was a prize fighter in her day-would be engaged to a former Japanese idol endowed with special elements that help her in her performances when she was singing in her native Japan. It's a curious juxtaposition, but for some reason, we were able to make it work, and now I will be marrying Rinny on Australia Day next year. And we will elope in Hamilton Island for a weekend before returning to classes.

"Once I do get married, I will have five new cousins, who may not be related by blood but are decisively close to me as soul sisters. They names: Hercule Barton, who I call 'Cousin Elly;' Nero Yuzurizaki, who I call "Cousin 'Ro;" Cordelia Glauca, who I call 'Cousin Delly;' Sheryl Sherlock Shellingford, who I call 'Cousin Sherls,' and Henriette Mystere, who I call 'Cousin Henny.' A lady by the name of Kokoro Akechi who is close to my future cousins told me she would be my godmother, so I will opt to call her 'Aunt Koko.'

"And I don't need to provide formalities and all that stuff. This is Australia. We're laid back and we love sport and informalities. I told Rinny, 'Dear, you're gonna love life here in Oz. Stick with me and I'll treat you like my princess because you truly, truly are.' She's a good listener, too, and I like girls that are faithful and are like that. You don't see those types of women where I come from these days."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Spirit Senior Day 2072 Salutes The Class Of 2072

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 9, 2072

Leafa Spirit Senior Day is Leafa College's equivalent of Senior Day at universities across the National Collegiate Athletic Association that honors their seniors at their last home game in their respective sports. Since there are no seniors on this year's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron Team, this day, by LeafaCAS Initiative 3624368, will be used to honor all the student athletes from all of Leafa's athletic teams who will receive their diplomas in December or have received them over the wintertime of this calendar year. Thus, this year's Spirit Senior Day honors the student athletes of the Class of 2072.

"To be a part of something so unique as a Senior Day is nice, even though I'm not a senior," said quarterback Lachlan Akai, who is expected to start this week as the captain of the football team. "I haven't had a lot of snaps under center and when Coach told me that he will start the second team and bring in the regulars in the second half, I was grinning.

"There I was, getting excited at the prospect of finally getting my first start...and I'm the captain! Cooper's a great quarterback, but us second-teamers haven't been getting a lot of playing time and we need this experience to get our juices flowing because none of us know if the starters might get hurt or something bad might happen to one of the starters. I'm going to make sure to send the seniors on the others sports teams off the right way."

Kickoff for this match is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. AEST and will be broadcast via radio on 3TK Melbourne and 5AO Canberra. Seven Network will broadcast, for the first time, Leafa College Gridiron with wall-to-wall coverage of Spirit Senior Day 2072, including a two-hour special, Lift Your Spirit Higher, chronicling the Spirit's inaugural season in the NCAA. Former Mitakihara Magi sprint football player and former college football head coach, Stuart Kaname, will provide play-by-play with former Spirit head coach Shaun Kirigaya doing color commentary. Rina Inazuma, the fiancee of Spirit defensive end Riley Adashino and a first-year student at Leafa, will be the on-field reporter for Seven Network's coverage of Spirit Senior Day 2072.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
"We're Coming After You Aggie Blokes": Dan Harding

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 13, 2072

The strains of an old American West standard, "Rawhide," was pumped through the air by the Leafa College Spirit Pep Band, the first-ever marching/pep band to include instruments normally reserved for a symphony orchestra, namely violins and other string instruments. The Spirit Pep Band normally plays this song at the end of a decisive game involving the Leafa Spirit, and on Spirit Senior Day at Yunupingu Field in Canberra, ACT, it was decisive as Dan Harding's Leafa Spirit Gridiron Team crushed the Fresno State Bulldogs, 197-38.

"We're coming after you Aggie Blokes," said Coach Harding after the game to the fans who stayed for the rally speech, referring to the other unbeaten team in college football, Texas A&M. "If we face you at the end of the year, we will destroy you and show you the power of the Aussie Thunder From Down Under!" The declaration was met with a great roar from the fans, some of who were absolutely shirtles and screaming their tops off.

Halfback Flynn Azuma, who did not play a single down all season until today, rushed for 335 yards and nine touchdowns while catching seven passes for 83 yards and another major. Cornerback Lincoln Yama set a school record for interceptions in a game with seven picks. Quarterback Lachlan Akai, making his first-ever start despite being named the captain of the team, passed for 355 yards and seven touchdowns while rushing for 343 yards and four more scores.

WIde receiver Oliver Isaki caught four passes for 90 yards and two touchdowns, halfback Ethan Wakamatsu caught four passes for 63 yards and two scores, left guard Jacob Esera led the blockers with 17 pancakes and left end Sam Touzokuyama paced the pass rush with five sacks on the day. Halfback Noah Hu returned a kickoff 60 yards for a touchdown late in the second quarter.

Leafa improve to 10-0 and will conclude the home-and-away season with a couple of away matches. Next week, they will test the self-professed center of the universe (which is an obvious lie designed to get a rise out of young virgin women) known as San Jose State at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans are currently 6-4 on the year and need to win to secure bowl eligibility.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the National Museum of Australia

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 15, 2072

The National Museum of Australia was formally established by the National Museum of Australia Act 1980. The National Museum preserves and interprets Australia's social history, exploring the key issues, people and events that have shaped the nation. The Museum did not have a permanent home until 11 March 2001, when a purpose-built museum building was officially opened in the national capital Canberra.

The Museum profiles 50,000 years of Indigenous heritage, settlement since 1788 and key events including Federation and the Sydney 2000 Olympics. The Museum holds the world's largest collection of Aboriginal bark paintings and stone tools, the heart of champion racehorse Phar Lap and the Holden prototype No. 1 car. The Museum also develops and travels exhibitions on subjects ranging from bushrangers to surf lifesaving. The National Museum of Australia Press publishes a wide range of books, catalogues and journals. The Museum's Research Centre takes a cross-disciplinary approach to history, ensuring the museum is a lively forum for ideas and debate about Australia's past, present and future.

The Museum's innovative use of new technologies has been central to its growing international reputation in outreach programming, particularly with regional communities. From 2003 to 2008, the Museum hosted Talkback Classroom, a student political forum. The Museum is located on Acton Peninsula in the suburb of Acton, next to the Australian National University. The peninsula on Lake Burley Griffin was previously the home of the Royal Canberra Hospital, which was demolished in tragic circumstances on 13 July 1997.

As designed by architect Howard Raggatt (design architect and design director for the project), the museum building is based on a theme of knotted ropes, symbolically bringing together the stories of Australians. The architects stated: "We liked to think that the story of Australia was not one, but many tangled together. Not an authorized version but a puzzling confluence; not merely the resolution of difference but its wholehearted embrace." The building is meant to be the centre of a knot, with trailing ropes or strips extending from the building. The most obvious of these extensions forms a large loop before becoming a walkway which extends past the neighbouring AIATSIS building ending in a large curl, as if a huge ribbon has haphazardly unrolled itself along the ground. Known as the "Uluru Axis" because it aligns with the central Australian natural landmark, the ribbon symbolically integrates the site with the Canberra city plan by Walter Burley Griffin and the spiritual heart of indigenous Australia.

The shape of the main entrance hall continues this theme: it is as though the otherwise rectangular building has been built encasing a complex knot which does not quite fit inside the building, and then the knot taken away. The entirely non-symmetrical complex is designed to not look like a museum, with startling colours and angles, unusual spaces and unpredictable projections and textures.

In 2012, building works commenced on a new cafe and administration wing. The new cafe opened in late 2012. It overlooks Lake Burley Griffin and offers both indoor and outdoor dining. The relocation of the Museum's cafe freed up the vast entry Hall for the display of large objects from the Museum's collection, including vehicles.

The new administration wing, which links the main building with the existing administration building, was completed in mid-2013. The new building is clad in rightly-coloured tiles arranged in a QR code pattern.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the National Library of Australia

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 16, 2072

The National Library of Australia is the largest reference library of Australia, responsible under the terms of the National Library Act for "maintaining and developing a national collection of library material, including a comprehensive collection of library material relating to Australia and the Australian people." In 2012–2013, the National Library collection comprised 6,496,772 items, and an additional 15,506 metres of manuscript material.

The National Library of Australia, while formally established by the passage of the National Library Act 1960, had been functioning as a National Library rather than strictly a Parliamentary Library, almost since its inception.

In 1901 a Commonwealth Parliamentary Library was established to serve the newly formed Federal Parliament of Australia. From its inception the Commonwealth Parliamentary Library was driven to development of a truly national collection. In 1907 the Joint Parliamentary Library Committee under the Chairmanship of the Speaker, Sir Frederick Holder defined the objective of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Library in the following words:

The Library Committee is keeping before it the ideal of building up, for the time when Parliament shall be established in the Federal Capital, a great Public Library on the lines of the world-famed Library of Congress at Washington; such a library, indeed, as shall be worthy of the Australian Nation; the home of the literature, not of a State, or of a period, but of the world, and of all time.

The present library building was opened in 1968. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Bunning and Madden. The foyer is decorated in marble, with stained glass windows by Leonard French and three tapestries by Mathieu Matégot.

The large National Library building is home to various reading rooms and collections. On the ground floor is the Main Reading Room—this is where the bulk of the Library's Internet access terminals are located, and where wireless internet access is available. Services are also delivered on-site from the Petherick Reading Room (for advanced readers) on the ground floor; the Newspaper & Microforms and Map Reading Rooms on the lower-ground floor, Manuscripts and Pictures on level 2, and Asian Collections on level 3. Limited space is also available for readers at the Hume Annexe.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa Spirit Leave Black Hole In San Jose In Rainstorm

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 20, 2072

Depending on who you talk to, San Jose State students and boosters consider their school to be the center of the universe. If that's the case, Dan Harding's Leafa Spirit Gridiron Team left a big black hole in it and threw the Spartans into the abyss, winning 140-35 at Spartan Stadium in San Jose, Calif. in a driving rainstorm. Quarterback Cooper Kanie passes for 499 yards, rushed for 463 yards and scored 13 total touchdowns on offense while middle linebacker Roy Hanamura led the defense with 22 tackles and two interceptions.

"I don't buy the pretentious banter from our opponents this week," said Coach Harding after the game. "If you're going to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk. They didn't, and we made them pay for it. Cooper was amazing under center and we delivered a balanced performance on both sides on the ball. Good effort from the lads today."

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 251 yards and two touchdowns, halfback Ethan Wakamatsu ran for 118 yards and four major scores, wide receiver Xavier Kim caught five passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns and wideout Dayne Tsunashi caught four passes for two majors. Kim led the blockers with 26 pancakes while Tsunashi had 22. Cornerback Vic Tsuchimikado and Daniel Tachibana also had two picks on the day.

Leafa improve to 11-0 and conclude the home-and-away season away to the Nevada Wolf Pack of Reno, Nev. next week.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Leafa College Spirit Pep Band Debut Album Available On iTunes

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 22, 2072

The debut album from the Leafa College Spirit Pep Band, "Cities And Towns," is now available on iTunes. Originally distributed at Homecoming 2072 earlier this year, the album is now available for download for $9.99 AUS. All proceeds will benefit the Leafa College Department of Music. This album, produced by the college's Director of Bands Dr. Ruth Hatanaka, featured a variety of covers and also includes cameos by the college's co-ed glee/social club, the aptly-named Leafa Social Club.

Track List:

1. We're The Spirit
2. On Our Way
3. A Sky Full Of Stars
4. Rawhide (feat. Leafa Social Club)
5. Brasil
6. Pompeii
7. Shower
8. Latch
9. Come Alive
10. Dark Horse
11. Happy
12. Habits (Stay High)
13. Story Of My Life
14. Demons
15. Summer
16. Bailando
17. Wrecking Ball
18. Don't
19. Nights
20. Hail To Leafa College
BONUS TRACK: Up There, The Spirit! (feat. Leafa Social Club)

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of Royal Military College, Duntroon

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 23, 2072

The Royal Military College, Duntroon, is the Australian Army's officer training establishment. It was founded at Duntroon, in the Australian Capital Territory, in 1911 and is located at the foot of Mount Pleasant near Lake Burley Griffin, close to the Department of Defence headquarters at Russell Hill. Duntroon is adjacent to the Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA), which is Australian Defence Force's tri-service military academy that provides military and tertiary academic education for junior officers of the Australian Army, Royal Australian Air Force and the Royal Australian Navy.

The Royal Military College, Duntroon, was opened on 27 June 1911 by the Governor-General, Lord Dudley. Situated on the Campbell family homestead in Canberra, which had been named "Duntroon" (1833) after Duntrune Castle—their ancestral home on Loch Crinan in Argyll, Scotland—the college was one of the first Commonwealth facilities established in the newly created capital. The Australian Government first rented the Duntroon homestead for two years (November 1910 – July 1912) and finally acquired the freehold to the estate and 370 acres (1.5 km²) of land after the creation of the federal capital.

The first Commandant of the college was Brigadier General William Bridges, who later died on a hospital ship after being wounded by a sniper on the shores of Gallipoli. Under his recommendations the college was modelled on aspects from the Royal Military College of Canada and the military colleges of Britain, and the United States of America. Several British officers, including Lieutenant Colonel Charles Gwynn as Director of Military Art, were assigned as faculty to the newly established college. During Bridges' frequent absences, Gwynn served as acting Commandant.

The First World War provided the college with its first chance to demonstrate its worth. However, when the war broke out in August 1914, there had not been enough time for the first class to complete the full Duntroon course. Nevertheless, it was decided to graduate the class early so that they could be sent over to Gallipoli, where General Sir Ian Hamilton, commander of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, said that "...each Duntroon educated officer was...worth his weight in gold". During the war 158 Duntroon graduates had been sent overseas on active service, of which 42 were killed or died of wounds and another 58 were wounded.

In the beginning, the college offered a four-year course, during which the first two years focused upon civil subjects and the last two years focused upon military subjects. Over the entire course, however, there was military specific training, including physical training, drill, signalling and weapon handling. Over the years, however, with the impact of the two World Wars, the duration and focus of the course changed as the requirements of the Army dictated. For a short period of time in the 1930s the college was forced to relocate to the Victoria Barracks, Sydney, due to the economic downturn caused by the Great Depression. During the Second World War short courses of between six months and a year were run, and ultimately 696 graduates of the College undertook active service overseas in either the Australian, British or New Zealand armed forces, while a further 122 former cadets who had not graduated served in varying capacities. Of these 122, three went on to have quite distinguished careers, with one rising to the rank of brigadier in the Australian Army, another to brigadier in the New Zealand Army and a third, R.C. McCay, reaching the rank of lieutenant general and serving in the British Indian Army and then becoming chief-of-staff of the newly formed Pakistan Army.

Following the war, the length of the course was set at four years again and efforts were made to increase the level of academic rigour in the college's programs. This culminated in 1967 when the college affiliated with the University of New South Wales (UNSW) to offer Bachelor courses in Arts, Science or Engineering, commencing in the 1968 academic year. Under this program, the first degrees from RMC were awarded in 1971. In order to graduate, cadets had to achieve passes in both military and academic studies and leadership. The link with UNSW was almost severed in 1969 when Duntroon was the centre of an inquiry after Gerry Walsh, a member of the academic staff, revealed details of bastardisation passed on to him by a student at the college. The inquiry resulted in at least one army career ending, while other personnel were severely punished. A further bastardisation scandal was exposed in 1983.

With the closure of the Officer Cadet School, Portsea, in December 1985, and the closure of the Women's Officer Training Wing at Georges Heights, Sydney, in December 1984, the Royal Military College, Duntroon became the sole General Service Officer training institute in the Australian Army, as all Regular Army officers serving in combat, combat support or service support Corps were required to attend Duntroon in order to be commissioned. Shortly after this, the role of the college changed again with the establishment of the Australian Defence Force Academy in 1986. As a result of this change, Duntroon ceased to offer university degrees as ADFA became responsible for the academic training of Army cadets, as well as those from the Air Force and Navy. The same year, the college celebrated its 75th anniversary (1911–1986). As an acknowledgement of this, 33 cent stamps featuring the head of a male officer cadet were printed; the first day of issue was 27 June 1986.

RMC's purview was expanded in 1995 as it "became responsible for the initial military training of all full-time, part-time and specialist service officers in the Australian Army". This resulted in the centralisation of all officer training courses under the college's auspices; this included short courses for specialist service officers such as doctors, nurses, lawyers and chaplains, under the auspices of Romani Company, as well as the delivery of the final module of the Reserve officer training continuum. For a brief period, under the Ready Reserve Scheme, Reserve officers attended the college for a cut-down six-month version of the full-time course. For the full-time General Service Officer cadets, though, the program essentially unchanged from that which had been established after the formation of ADFA, when the course had been reduced to 18 months, and broken up into three distinct classes—III, II and I Class. Under this program, which has been maintained since 1986, cadets who wish to pursue a degree attend ADFA for three years upon appointment before going to Duntroon for 12 months, and starting the course in II Class.

Anonymous reviews of officer training in 2007 brought to light racism and harassment of female recruits. In 2011, Andrew Wilkie admitted to being both a victim and perpetrator of bullying while at Duntroon. The same year, the college celebrated its cententary (1911–2011); as part of the celebrations, Queen Elizabeth II presented the college with new colours. A series of 1 oz silver dollar coins were also minted.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the Australian Defence Force Academy

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 24, 2072

The Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA) is a tri-service military Academy that provides military and tertiary academic education for junior officers of the Australian Defence Force in the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), Australian Army and Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).

Tertiary education is provided by the University of New South Wales (UNSW) Canberra campus, which is the awarding body for ADFA qualifications. Apart from educating future leaders of the Australian Defence Force, UNSW campus also provides postgraduate programs and short courses both to Department of Defence personnel and the general public.

The stated purpose of ADFA is "to serve Australia by providing the Australian Defence Force (ADF) with tertiary graduates who have the attributes, intellect and skills required of an officer."

ADFA is located in the suburb of Campbell, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, near the Australian Government district of Russell. It is situated next to Mount Pleasant, which gives some parts of ADFA a view over the rest of Canberra. The ADFA is also adjacent to the Australian Army military academy, the Royal Military College, Duntroon.

The junior officers that attend the Australian Defence Force Academy hold the rank of Midshipman (MIDN) in the Royal Australian Navy, Officer Cadet (OCDT) in the Australian Army and Officer Cadet (OFFCDT) in the Royal Australian Air Force.

After World War II, each of the three Armed Services adopted, as policy, that the educational standards should be raised for officers in training. In 1967 an agreement was reached between the Department of Defence and the University of New South Wales, under which they would co-operate to develop the Royal Military College (RMC) into a degree-level institution. To that end, the University established the Faculty of Military Studies at RMC to conduct courses leading to the award of the University's degrees in arts, science and engineering.

Also in 1967, the University of New South Wales entered into an association with the RAN College enabling it to present approved courses. Subsequently, first year courses for certain University programs in arts, science and engineering were introduced. Successful cadets were sponsored by the Navy to complete Bachelor's degrees on the University's campus.

Concurrent with the developments at the RAN College and RMC, from 1967 to 1970, Sir Leslie H. Martin chaired the Commonwealth Government's Tertiary Education (Services' Cadet Colleges) Committee into the feasibility of setting up a college for the joint education of officer cadets of the three Armed Services.

Investigations on a wider scale followed with the result that in 1974 the Commonwealth Government announced its intention of establishing a single tertiary institution for the Defence Force. In 1977 the government formally established the Australian Defence Force Academy as a Joint Service Unit under Section 32c of the Defence Act 1903. The Chief of the Defence Force, Air Chief Marshal Sir Neville McNamara, simultaneously announced the appointment of Rear Admiral Peter Sinclair, Royal Australian Navy as the Commandant. Construction began on the site in 1981. In February 1984 the University of New South Wales announced the appointment of Professor G.V.H. Wilson as Rector of the University College. In September 1985 the Interim Academy Council ceased its functions and the Australian Defence Force Academy Council held its inaugural meeting under the Chairmanship of Sir Edward Woodward.

In 1986 ADFA opened and began providing military and tertiary academic education for Midshipmen and Officer Cadets. In late 2003 the Australian Department of Defence entered into another agreement with the University of New South Wales for the operation of University College at ADFA.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa Mow Down Nevada In Away Laugher

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 27, 2072

Quarterback Cooper Kanie passed for 246 yards, ran for 336 yards and scored 10 offensive touchdowns as Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit gridiron team muscled past the Nevada Wolf Pack, 136-24, at Mackay Stadium in Reno, Nev. Middle linebacker Roy Hanamura led the defense with 18 tackles and an interception.

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 373 yards and five touchdowns, halfback Ethan Wakamatsu ran for 131 yards and two majors, wide receiver Xavier Kim caught four passes for 95 yards and a score and wideout Mitch Kihara led the blockers with 24 pancakes. Free safety Jay Madanbashi had 12 tackles and an interception while left end Sam Touzokuyama and lineback Nick Mikisugi each had three sacks.

"We had a good performance, not one of our best, but still a dominant effort," Coach Harding said after the game. "I told the team after the match was over, 'Gentlemen, we are two wins away from making history. Don't sit on your laurels, we have an opponent that we most likely have faced before coming for a second swing at us. They want to play spoiler, but we won't let them. Focus your time and effort in getting the job done in two weeks time because that game will be one of the most important games in the history of this program.'"

Leafa improve to 12-0 and will face the Boise State Broncos, champions of the Mountain Division of the Mountain West Conference, in the Mountain West Championship Game at Yunupingu Field in Canberra, ACT. The game is officially a sellout.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Nadeshiko "Yamato" Sunohara, the wife of Leafa Spirit quarterback Jack Mikoshiba.

"I Got The Best Wife In The World": Jack Mikoshiba

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 29, 2072

Leafa Spirit quarterback Jack Mikoshiba rarely sees playing time as the third-string quarterback for Dan Harding's gridiron ball club. However, he has been summoned to start at least the first half to relieve longtime starter Cooper Kanie. When asked of the opportunity, Mikoshiba, the son of Chiyo Sakura and Mikoto Mikoshiba grinned.

Nagisa Furukawa, Ushio Okazaki and Tomoya Okazaki. Nagisa and Tomoya are Nadeshiko's great-grandparents, while Ushio is Nadeshiko's grandmother, all on her father's side.

Youhei Sunohara and Tomoyo Sakagami,
great-grandparents of Nadeshiko Sunohara on her father's side.

"If you were to tell me that I would get this big of an opportunity to shine, you got another thing coming," said Mikoshiba after practice at Houraisan Centre. "But now I finally get my chance to show everyone that I can be a difference-maker on the field, too. They say good things happen to those who wait, and I believed it. And now it's come true.

"I have my wife, Nadeshiko Sunohara to thank. I call her 'Yamato' because she is, apparently, the reincarnation of that battleship from World War II that shouldn't have gone out towards Okinawa. Let me tell you, I got strong family roots. First off, Chiyo Sakura is my mother and Mikoto Mikoshiba is my father. Nadeshiko is my wife. Her father, Yukio, is the son of Ushio Okazaki and Daisuke Sunohara, who is in turn the son of Youhei Sunohara and Tomoyo Sakagami. Ushio, meanwhile, is the daughter of Nagisa Furukawa and Tomoya Okazaki.

Mikoto Mikoshiba and Chiyo Sakura, the parents of Jack Mikoshiba.

"I met Yamato back in secondary school, as have, perhaps a number of mates on my team. I said to her, faith what are you doing here in Perth, of all places? She told me that his father got a new job in the city working as an electrician and that he's planning to secure dual citizenship for him and her. And from that point on, we built a strong relationship. Yukio likes my personality, my character, my belief in putting women first, and he had no problems allowing me to marry her at the end of my final year at Armadale Senior High School

"Leafa was at the top our our heads. Yamato wanted to study marine biology, while I wanted to try my luck at the fine arts and also play gridiron for a living. I was a really good passer at Armadale. One time, during a passing contest, I threw a football from one end zone to the other. It even cleared the posts. One of the assistant coaches pretended to be a footy goal umpire and signal a goal. It was hilarious. But Yamato wanted to head it, and so did I.

"I want to be in it for the education, but I am still hoping that I will get my big break and make a lot of my parents proud. I want to make my wife proud, and I want to make a lot of my great-grandparents proud as well. They may not be able to see me, but their spirits lies in my wife, and that's why I have a massive Dango Daikazoku in my bedroom. I won't have any issues sleeping with my wife and the great big dango family with me; fair dinkum, I might as well be in my own personal heaven, singing in the shower, if you don't mind!"

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Hirotaka Wakamatsu and Yuzuki Seo, the parents of Leafa Spirit halfback Ethan Wakamatsu.

Ethan Wakamatsu: The Pride Of The Gold Coast

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
November 30, 2072

The Gold Coast is known for having some of the finest beaches, the finest surfing, the finest entertainment, and the ritz and glamour that you would find in a resort town. Gold Coast City is also the home town of Leafa Spirit Gridiron halfback Ethan Wakamatsu, a graduate of Southport State High School in nearby Southport. Wakamatsu, the son of illustrator Hirotaka Wakamatsu and singer Yuzuki Seo, was born in Tokyo, raised in Surfers' Paradise from a young age and is married to former Japanese idol and now aspiring fashion designer/swimsuit model/teacher Umi Kousaka, a fellow second-year student at Leafa College.

"My father, when he was younger, used to hate my mother because she always teased him by calling him Waka, which is a short version of his last name," Wakamatsu said. "It's ironic because it doesn't affect me too much. I mean, all the mates on my team call me Waka and I like it because, get this, I watch the replays on the games, and I hear Shauno [Shaun Kirigaya] say, 'And look at this run from Big Waka, bursting through the seam on the right side, as if the seas parted like the Ten Commandments.' I'm used to it, you know?

"Anyway, my dad eventually came around and the two of them married and mom gave birth to me. We moved to the Gold Coast when I was still an infant because Dad got a similar job in Australia and Mum didn't want to leave Dad to stay in Japan. It was great: my mom became a well known music instructor in the area. My uncle Ryosuke also moved to Australia to do research at Bond University so that he could become a professor himself. He's been a great mentor and he even became my personal tutor.

Yuzuki Seo and Umi Kousaka, the mother and wife of Ethan Wakamatsu.

"I met Umi Kousaka while I was at Southport. She moved to Australia recently and decided to settle here because she wanted to leave the idol industry for a new challenge. She didn't have any place to go, so she ended up rooming with me. We got real close, went out, and I found out that she was a really good surfer. One time she rode a 10-foot wave for 20 minutes before arriving on shore...without falling off the board. I learned to surf from Umi and we surfed a lot when we weren't studying. After we graduated from Southport, Umi decided to beging the naturalization process and we married.

"We decided to enroll at Leafa College because we heard a lot of good things about Mitakihara University, its parent institution. They had a really good football team and the local gridiron team at Leafa was beginning to form. So I signed up at tryouts and became a halfback, because that's the position I played back at Southport. I did not think that the work I put in, along with Jackson T[atara] would be massive.

"Winning the national championship would be a big deal for me because I want to make my parents proud and I want to make my wife proud. My mother was a singer and looks good in a bikini and my wife was a singer and looks gorgeous in a bikini. I got two important women in my life, an important dad and a very smart uncle. So when I put all this pressure on me to succeed, it's going to go a long way."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the Australian Institute of Sport

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 7, 2072

The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) is a sports training institution in Australia. The Institute's headquarters were opened in 1981 and are situated in Canberra (the capital city of Australia). The 66-hectare site campus is in the northern suburb of Bruce, but some of the institute's programs are located in other Australian cities. The AIS is a division of the Australian Sports Commission.

Two reports were the basis for developing the AIS - The role, scope and development of recreation in Australia (1973) by John Bloomfield and Report of the Australian Sports Institute Study Group (1975) chaired by Allan Coles. The need of the AIS was compounded in 1976 when the Australian Olympic team failed to win an Olympic gold medal in Montreal, which was regarded as a national embarrassment for Australia. The Institute's well-funded programs (and more generally the generous funding for elite sporting programs by Australian and State Governments) have been regarded as a major reason for Australia's recent success in international sporting competitions.

The AIS employs a number of staff who primarily work in Sports Science and Sports Medicine, which includes disciplines such as sports nutrition, performance analysis, skill acquisition, physiology, recovery, biomechanics, athlete career education, strength and conditioning, psychology, sports medicine, physical therapies, talent identification and applied performance research.

There are a number of sculptures located throughout the Bruce Campus, such as 'Acrobats', 'Gymnast', 'Pole Vaulter' and 'Soccer Players' by John Robinson and the 'Swimmer' by Guy Boyd. After the Sydney 2000 Olympics, two of the three sculptures - ' Gymnast' and 'Wheelchair Basketballer' - that were located on the Sydney Tower Eye prior to the Olympics were installed at the AIS.

The AIS Arena is a 5,200 capacity indoor stadium which has been used for sports such as basketball, gymnastics and weightlifting as well as music concerts. Directly adjacent to, but not strictly part of the Institute is the 25,000 capacity outdoor Canberra Stadium which has hosted matches of all the major forms of football played in Australia.

In 2005, 2009 and 2010 the Institute won awards at the prestigious Canberra and Capital Region Tourism Awards. These awards were given in recognition of the daily public tours that are available. Each tour, which takes in several different buildings of the Institute as well as the arena and the Sportex zone, is led by an athlete currently training there.

AIS established sports medicine and sports science services and research programs when established in 1981. Dr Dick Telford was its first Co-ordinator of Sports Science and Medicine. Other notable staff have included: Dr Peter Fricker, Professor Allan Hahn and Dr Bruce Mason. The AIS and the Australian Olympic Committee formed the Australian Institute of Winter Sports after the 1998 Winter Olympics. The organisation was renamed to the Olympic Winter Institute of Australia on 1 July 2001. It provides training in alpine skiing, freestyle skiing (including aerial and mogul), snowboarding, short track speed skating and figure skating. It is also a partner with the AIS in skeleton (toboganning).

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Chiyo Sakura, the mother of Leafa Spirit quarterback Jack Mikoshiba.

"I Did It For Mum and Yamato! I Did It All!": Jack Mikoshiba

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 10, 2072

Rarely-used Leafa Spirit quarterback Jack Mikoshiba got his first-ever start for the gridiron team in the pouring rain at Yunipingu Field in Canberra, ACT against the Boise State Broncos in the 2072 Mountain West Championship Game. With the Heisman Trophy pretty much secured for Cooper Kanie, there was no need to start the most accomplished signal caller in program history as Mikoshiba passed for 329 yards, ran for 378 more yards and scored 10 offencive touchdowns as the Spirit gradually outran Boise State, 125-47 to win their first-ever conference title in American football.

"I did it for mum and Yamato! I did it all!" exclaimed a teary-eyed Mikoshiba, who was hugging his wife Nadeshiko "Yamato" Sunohara and even princess-carrying her for a bit. "Coach wanted me to get involved and I had a great time in the rain. These are wonderful conditions to play this sport, what can I say? Absolutely fantastic times to be an Aussie, and now we're one win away from making even more history.

"I'm so excited to finally play on the biggest stage of all when it comes to college football. None of us ever thought we'd be able to live the big dream, like in our song, but we're living it, and we're not gonna let it end until we lift that crystal footy. Everyone on campus is over the moon. We're ready to keep the tradition of gridiron success in the Mitakihara University System alive. What a day!"

Left outside linebacker Nick Mikisugi had 11 tackles, including two sacks. Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 341 yards and six touchdowns. Wide receiver Dayne Tsunashi caught seven passes for 107 yards and three scores while leading the blockers with 25 pancakes. Defencive tackle Levi Iori had two sacks, while three different players on defence had two interceptions.

Leafa improve to 13-0 and will face the Texas A&M Aggies, led by Johnny Manziel Jr., the grandson of the famous A&M and Cleveland Browns quarterback of the same name, in the 2073 BCS National Championship Game.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the National Portrait Gallery

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 13, 2072

The National Portrait Gallery in Australia is a collection of portraits of prominent Australians that are important in their field of endeavour or whose life sets them apart as an individual of long-term public interest. The collection was established in May 1998, and until 2008 was housed in Old Parliament House and in a nearby gallery on Commonwealth Place. On 4 December 2008, its permanent home opened on King Edward Terrace, Canberra beside the High Court of Australia.

In the early 1900s, the painter Tom Roberts was the first to propose that Australia should have a national portrait gallery, but it wasn’t until the 1990s that the possibility began to take shape.

The 1992 exhibition Uncommon Australians - developed by the Gallery’s founding patrons, Gordon and Marilyn Darling - was shown in Canberra and toured to four state galleries, igniting the idea of a national portrait gallery. In 1994, under the management of the National Library of Australia, the Gallery’s first exhibition was launched in Old Parliament House. It was a further four years before the appointment of Andrew Sayers as Director signalled the establishment of the National Portrait Gallery as an institution in its own right, with a board, a budget and a brief to develop a collection of portraits reflecting the breadth and energy of Australian culture and endeavour. The opening of displays in the refurbished Parliamentary Library and two adjacent wings of Old Parliament House in 1999 endorsed the Gallery’s status and arrival as an independent institution.

While the spaces of Old Parliament House proved adaptable to the National Portrait Gallery’s programs, its growing profile and collection necessitated the move to a dedicated building. Funding for the $87 million building was provided in the 2005 Federal Budget and Sydney-based architectural firm Johnson Pilton Walker was awarded the job of creating the gallery, with construction commencing in December 2006. The new National Portrait Gallery opened to the public on 4 December 2008.

Won through an open international design competition by Johnson Pilton Walker in 2005, the 14,000 square metres (150,000 sq ft) building provides exhibition space for approximately 500 portraits in a simple configuration of day-lit galleries.

The external form of the building responds to its site by using the building’s geometry to connect with key vistas and alignments around the precinct. A series of five bays, each more than 70 metres (230 ft) long, are arranged perpendicular to the Land Axis referring to Walter Burley Griffin’s early concepts for the National Capital.

Despite the apparent simplicity of the plan, the National Portrait Gallery is a rich sequence of carefully proportioned spaces leading from the Entrance Court defined by the two large cantilever concrete blades on the eastern side of the building through the foyer to the gallery spaces. Each gallery enjoys controlled natural light from translucent glazed clerestory windows and views to the outside, reconnecting the visitor to the landscape.

All aspects of the building are informed by the notion that the proportion of a building should correspond to that of a person. This is particularly relevant to a building for portraiture and for the scale of the works in the collection.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the National Archives

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 14, 2072

The National Archives of Australia is a body established by the Government of Australia for the purpose of preserving Commonwealth Government records. The organisation sits within the Department of Regional Australia, Local Government, Arts and Sport portfolio, reporting to the Hon David Zhao MP, Minister for the Arts. The national office is in Canberra with offices in each state capital and Darwin. As of June 2072, the National Archives had 500 staff, of which 250 (50.0%) were women. The Archives' budget for 2072-2073 was $100 million, with $75.2 million provided by the Commonwealth government. The chief executive officer is the Director-General. The agency is divided into five branches: National Coordination, Access and Communication, Archive Operations and Preservation, Government Information Management and Corporate, each headed by an Assistant Director-General.

In addition to caring for its collection, the National Archives develops and tour exhibitions, publishes books and guides to the collection and delivers educational programs. It also advises other government departments and agencies on records management.

The foundation stone for a National Archives was laid by Edward, Prince of Wales in Canberra in 1920 but no building was constructed after the ceremony. The Federal Parliamentary Library (later the National Library of Australia) was responsible for collecting Commonwealth Government records after World War I.

Dr Theodore Schellenberg, Director of Archival Management at the National Archives in Washington, D.C., visited Australia in 1954 on a Fulbright Scholarship and advocated the separation of Australia's national archives from the National Library. In March 1961 the Commonwealth Archives Office was formally separated from the National Library of Australia with offices spread across several Canberra suburbs, including in Nissen huts. The organisation was renamed the Australian Archives in 1975.

The Archives Act 1983 gave legislative protection for Commonwealth archives for the first time and gave the Australian Archives a legislative mandate to preserve government records. The agency was renamed the National Archives of Australia in February 1998 and became an Executive Agency of the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts on 28 February 2001. On 12 December 2011, it was transferred to the Department of Regional Australia, Local Government, Arts and Sport.

The National Archives' collection covers public records pertaining to Federation, Governors-General, Prime Ministers, Cabinet and Ministers and most of the activities with which the government has been involved. The Archives' repositories are "closed access" so the public cannot browse its 300,000m of shelves, but items can be requested for viewing in the reading rooms or copies made. Most records over 30 years old are released for public access, while a small proportion are released with some exempt information deleted. Exempt information includes documents relating to defence and security (such as the design and construction of weapons and records of Australian intelligence agencies) and private information (including medical records and raw census data). Cabinet notebooks are released after 50 years. Access to items of cultural sensitivity to Indigenous Australians may also be restricted.

Several collections, including all Australian military service records from the Second Boer War to the Vietnam War, have been made available online and are popular with researchers. On 6 November 2002 the Archives placed World War II service records online. Migrant selection documents and naturalisation papers more than 30 years old were made available in 2005. On 11 April 2007 the Archives placed 376,000 World War I service records online. Digitising of files is an ongoing process, and new images are being added to the web site on a regular basis. The public can also request particular files to be digitised, for a fee.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the Australian Academy of Science

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 16, 2072

The Australian Academy of Science was founded in 1954 by a group of distinguished Australians, including Australian Fellows of the Royal Society of London. The first president was Sir Mark Oliphant. The Academy is modelled after the Royal Society and operates under a Royal Charter; as such, it is an independent body, but it has government endorsement. The Academy Secretariat is in Canberra, at the Shine Dome.

The objectives of the Academy are to promote science and science education through a range of activities. It has defined four major program areas:

• recognition of outstanding contributions to science
  • education and public awareness
  • science policy
  • international relations

The Academy also runs the 22 National Committees for Science which provide a forum to discuss issues relevant to all the scientific disciplines in Australia.

The Shine Dome (previously known as Becker House) is a well-known Canberra landmark, notable for its unusual structure, and colloquially referred to as "The Martian Embassy", an allusion to its shape and the fact that as the capital of Australia, Canberra is the home of foreign embassies.[3] It was designed by architect Sir Roy Grounds, of Grounds, Romberg and Boyd. When completed in 1959 its 45.75m-diameter dome was the largest in Australia.

On 1 December 1956, the Academy's building design committee met in Adelaide to look over plans submitted by six architects. The plan accepted involved a 710 ton reinforced concrete dome, which had to be supported by 16 thin supports. The concrete is approximately 60 cm thick at the base supports, and 10 cm at the top. The dome supports itself, with no internal wall holding it up. It cost £200,000 to build. The foundation stone, laid on 2 May 1958 by Prime Minister of Australia, Robert Menzies, was originally part of the pier of the Great Melbourne Telescope constructed in 1869 under the supervision of the Royal Society and transferred to Mount Stromlo Observatory in the 1940s.

The building was named Becker House, for benefactor and Fellow of the Academy Sir Jack Ellerton Becker, in 1962. In 2000, it was renamed in honour of Fellow John Shine, who donated one million dollars to renovate the dome.

The interior contains three floors: on the ground level, the main auditorium, the Ian Wark Theatre, seats 156 people, the Jaeger Room for functions and meetings, the Becker Council Meeting Room and offices; the upper level includes a gallery to the theatre and the Adolf Basser Library; and the basement houses storage for historical records of science in Australia.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

The Mystique of the National Film and Sound Archive

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 17, 2072

The National Film and Sound Archive (NFSA) is Australia’s audiovisual archive, responsible for developing, preserving, maintaining, promoting and providing access to a national collection of audiovisual materials and related items. The collection ranges from works created in the late nineteenth century when the recorded sound and film industries were in their infancy to those made in the present day.

The Archive was formally established as the National Historical Film and Speaking Record Library (within the then Commonwealth National Library) in 1935, becoming an independent cultural organisation in 1984.

The work of the Archive can be officially dated to the establishment of the National Historical Film and Speaking Record Library (part of the then Commonwealth National Library) by a Cabinet decision on 11 December 1935.

After being part of the National Library of Australia, and its predecessors, for nearly 50 years, the National Film and Sound Archive was created as a separate Commonwealth collecting institution through an announcement in Parliament on 5 April 1984 that took immediate effect. At that time, an Advisory Committee was established to guide the institution.

On 21 June 1999, the name was changed to ScreenSound Australia, the National Collection of Screen and Sound, and changed again in early 2000 to ScreenSound Australia, National Screen and Sound Archive. It reverted to its original name, National Film and Sound Archive, in December 2004.

Meanwhile, consequent on amendments to the Australian Film Commission Act which took effect on 1 July 2003, it ceased to be a semi-autonomous entity within the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts and became an integrated branch, later a division, of the Australian Film Commission, a funding and promotional body.

In 2007, the Liberal Government announced the creation of a new agency to be called Screen Australia which would incorporate the main functions of the Film Finance Corporation, the Australian Film Commission (including the Archive), and Film Australia. Following elections in November 2007, however, the new Labor Government implemented an election promise to allow the NFSA to become a statutory authority, similar to other major cultural institutions including the National Library of Australia, the National Gallery of Australia and the National Museum of Australia. The NFSA Act became law on 20 March 2008 and came into effect on 1 July 2008, with celebrations held that day.

The building to which the Archive moved in 1984 was the home of the Australian Institute of Anatomy from 1931-84. Originally it held the anatomy collection of Sir Colin MacKenzie. This collection included the heart of the celebrated Australian racehorse Phar Lap.

The building is often classified as art deco, though its overall architectural style is technically "Late 20th Century Stripped Classical", the style of ancient Greece and Rome but simplified and modernised. It features a symmetrical façade, a horizontal skyline, classical columns and a central entrance. The decorative foyer features images of native flora, fauna and Aboriginal art and motifs. Face masks of well-known scientists from the late 19th century and early 20th century are featured on the foyer’s walls as a reminder of its previous incarnation as the Institute of Anatomy.

The building also features a landscaped courtyard, theatre and research centre. In 1999, the building was extended to accommodate the Archive's growth. The new wing’s design is in keeping with the Art Deco style of the main structure with details and finishes to match the original.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Marie Ikeno (left), the wife of former Mitakihara Magi quarterback Haruki Takayama and reincarnation of the Japanese battleship Kongou, with Fubuki Satomi, the wife of Leafa Spirit punter Aiden Satomi and reincarnation of the destroyer Fubuki; and Chiyo Sakura and Mikoto Mikoshiba, the parents of Spirit quarterback Jack Mikoshiba; at Parliament House in Canberra.

"Honored to meet Mrs. Trick": Aiden Satomi

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
December 23, 2072

As bowl season gets underway, preparations for the adhoc-renamed BCS International Championship Game between the Leafa College Spirit and Texas A&M Aggies are in full swing. The Spirit gridiron team received a visit from an unexpected guest: former Magi quarterback and injured San Diego Charger signal-called Haruki "Trick" Takayama, accompanied by his wife Marie "Kongou" Ikeno. Takayama suffered from a season-ending injury to his throwing hand after starting 12 games for the Chargers. He came to lend his support to the Spirit.

Ikeno, in particular, noticed that some of the wives and parents of the gridiron team were at practice. including Fubuki Satomi, AIden Satomi's wife. It seemed like an unintended reunion, for Fubuki.

"I was shocked to find out that Mrs. Trick was here, and then I realized, this was Kongou-san!" exclaimed Fubuki, giggling like a little girl. "She's like a big sister to me. We talked about school and classes and the team and me and Aiden gave her a tour of the town and the campus, along with Jack's parents. I even chatted with Trick about his playing days in college, and about some of the players on his team, including Dee Dee Sonoda, one of my favorite receivers from Madoka.

"I think it's great to know that people from Canada care about the Spirit. We're one win away from winning college football's biggest prize. No Australian team has done what we have done, or what we are about to do. Everybody in Canberra, everybody in Freo, everyone across the country is pulling for us to smash Texas A&M and Johnny Football. By the way, I think his grandfather is overrated and is all talk and no talent, so cop that, A&M!

"I feel like I'm on a cloud to know that one of my spiritual big sisters was there to stop by and visit. I think I will call Mrs. Trick Kongou-san from now on. She's the best!"

"Haruki's been an inspiration to us all and I think we're going to feed off of that," said Satomi. "We're composed but relaxed heading into this game. We spend lots of time studying game film, formations, strategies, all the stuff you see in the NFL, we do it here. It also helps that we have a renewable 100-year partnership with the Australian Institute of Sport so that we have what it takes to win the big one in January. All of Australia will be watching; it should be afternoon when the game is on, so the country won't miss this killa dilla!"

Will Johnny Football be turning in his grave come January? Stay tuned!!!

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Leafa Spirit Defeat Texas A&M, 79-13, Are Kings Of College Gridiron

By Graeme Wong

Spirit News
January 10, 2073

Johnny Manziel, Sr. is turning in his grave indeed. Dan Harding's Leafa College Spirit Gridiron Team has made history as the first-ever Australia-based team to win college football's richest prize, the BCS International Championship, defeating Johnny Manziel Jr. and the Texas A&M Aggies, 79-13, at Dolphins Stadium in Miami, Fla. It wasn't the best of production from the Spirit, but the outcome was still decisive enough to leave no doubt as to who were the victors on the night.

Quarterback Cooper Kanie passed for 129 yards, rushed for 302 yards and scored four touchdowns on offence. Middle linebacker Roy Hanamura, the Bednarik Award winner, had 22 tackles, a sack and an interception. Over half of the crowd supported the upstarts from Canberra, and as the final whistle blew, there was dancing in the streets of the nation's capital and in Greenway, where the campus is located.

"We did it, we have made history as the first Australian college to win college football's highest honors," said Coach Harding after receiving a shower of Leafa's lime-flavored house blend Morning Rescue Sport. "Let me tell you, these boys wanted to live the big dream and now they can wake up and say that they are truly champions.

"Football is no longer just a sport for North America. Us Aussies can play the game, too, and tonight, or rather the following afternoon if you're in our time zone, we proved that if we're given a stern test, we'll rise up and show you what we can do. It's not our best performance in terms of points, but it's still a big win, and one of the biggest victories in the history of Australian sport.

"We're had so many great moments in our sporting history. Aside from dominating in the Winter Olympics in recent years and the Socceroos winning their third FIFA World Cup two years ago, we've made history by winning a championship in a sport dominated by the United States and Canada. This is a big game-changer for people who say this is still a niche sport down under. Now more people will want to try this sport out and we can become a leader in making gridiron the next big thing in this country that loves winners. What a season!"

Halfback Jackson Tatara ran for 191 yards and three touchdowns, wide receiver Dayne Tsunashi caught three passes for 82 yards and two majors, wideout Mitch Kihara led in blocks with 16 and left end Sam Touzokuyama had three sacks. Cornerback Daniel Tachibana had 11 tackles, a sack and an interception while defensive tackle Darren Kurokiba got to Manziel Jr. twice.

Leafa improve to 14-0 on the season. A parade and team presentation will take place in Canberra and Parliament House next Saturday. The event is open to the public.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Records Fall Down For Leafa Football

By Graeme Wong
Spirit News
January 14, 2073

The Leafa College Spirit Gridiron team took part in a champions' parade down Commonwealth Avenue, where thousands upon thousands of fans greeted them before a team presentation at Parliament Hill. The Spirit football team set new school records as a result of their efforts, as listed below.

Cooper Kanie
Individual Career - Rushing TD 91
Individual Season - QB Rating 217.5
Individual Season - Rushing TD 91
Individual Season - Rushing Yds 4872 Yds
School Season - Passing TD (Season) 37
School Season - Passing Yds (Season) 3718 Yds
School Career - Rushing TD (Career) 91
School Season - Rushing TD (Season) 91
School Career - Rushing Yds (Career) 4872 Yds
School Season - Rushing Yds (Season) 4872 Yds

Lincoln Yama
Individual Season - Interceptions 15
School Season - Interceptions (Season) 15

Sam Touzokuyama
Individual Season - Sacks 40
School Career - Sacks (Career) 40
School Season - Sacks (Season) 40

Jackson TataraSchool Season - Receptions (Season) 100

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Inori Aizawa, the wife of Leafa Spirit defensive tackle Oscar Inui.

"I Have Three Cousins And A Wife And We're All Geeks": Oscar Inui

By Satsuki Ranjou

Spirit News
January 16, 2073

Oscar Inui is not your average defensive tackle. The 6'2", 312 lb son of Hayato Inui is a native of a small town in Queensland called Tannum Sands, but he comes from a family of computer aficionados that apparently love to swim. His wife, Inori Aizawa, is a tech-crazy celebrity but has elected to eschew show business for a bit to study computer engineering, like Oscar.

Ai and Yuu Madobe, two of Oscar Inui's cousins.

"I have three cousins: Nanami Madobe, Ai Madobe, and Yuu Madobe," said Oscar. "And I have a wife, and we're all geeks. They room with me and my wife Inori at the dorms and we're all computer-savvy. We tend to work as a team to fix computer issues, fix viruses from some of our peers and extol the virtues of Internet Explorer, Inori's favorite browser. In fact, Inori is pretty much the personification of Internet Explorer, I kid you not.

Nanami Madobe, the granddaughter of the late Mitakihara Magi women's volleyball assistant Nanami Takatsuki and the eldest cousin of Oscar Inui.

"I met Inori like many of the married mates on my team met their women: in high school. Tannum Sands State High School was the place. She was an outgoing person, and quite popular, but she turned down a lot of offers because she had the hots for me. See, if you use Japanese conventions on my name, the initials would be I. OS., a wordplay on iOS, an Apple software for iPads, iPhones and so on.

"It's an unusual chemistry. She likes Windows, I like Mac OS. Eventually, we came to appreciate both and before we entered our first year, we got married in Cairns. Inori doesn't have any plans to have kids yet, but she wants them to be girls. She might call her firstborn Vivienne Stanley Inui, or Vista, and the second girl would be named Linda Uxbridge Inui, or Linux. We just love to play with names when it comes to operating systems, it's so...radioactive."

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Debut Album From Leafa Pops Symphony Orchestra Out!

By Satsuki Ranjou

Spirit News
January 17, 2073

The Leafa College Pops Symphony Orchestra is the college's primary orchestra, with 200 members, and works in partnership with the Mitakihara University Philharmonic of Mitakihara, Canada and the main campus of the Mitakihara University system. Today, their debut album was released: Streets And Roundabouts, a nod to the Spirit Pep Band's debut album, "Cities And Towns." Dr. Mizuki Makabe is Leafa Pops's Director of Music and head conductor, and is also a tenured professor at the College's School of Music.

"We held a meeting in August of last year to select 20 popular songs from years past that we would interpret for our new album," said Dr. Makabe. "It was a three-hour meeting, but it was up to the students to learn how to arrange music while at the same time earn course units for doing so. The end result is three months of recording our favorites."

"Streets And Roundabouts" is available on iTunes for $9.99 AUS.

Track List:

1. Demons
2. All About That Bass
3. Chandelier
4. Stay With Me
5. A Sky Full Of Stars
6. Team
7. Am I Wrong
8. Shake It Off
9. Feel So Close
10. Rude
11. Dark Horse
12. All Of Me
13. Fancy
14. Summer
15. Boom Clap
16. Burn
17. Rather Be
18. Hold On We're Going Home
19. Wrecking Ball
20. Bailando

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
cea6707a29289944d4fe92664fa76ea0.jpg

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: In Jack Mikoshiba's Words

By Jack Mikoshiba
Special To Spirit News
January 19, 2073

It may seem like the strangest of coincidences, but I recall during the winter break at Leafa College last year, I decided to visit Japan and see the ancestors of my wife, Nadeshiko Sunohara, who I call Yamato. They were all based in Setagaya Ward, located in Tokyo. Setagaya is not Shibuya or Minato, it's not a glitzy part of the metropolis. But all of the important people who were a part of the city are gone, including Yamato's grandmother Ushio, who had passed away one month prior to the visit.

When we got off the train to visit Hikarizaka Senior High School, I noticed all these light orbs floating around. Then I noticed a statue of a girl with antenna hair, hands clasped. "See this?" asked Yamato. "This is my great-grandmother, Nagisa Furukawa. She was an influential person and donated a lot to this school. I was a student here until I moved out to Australia to be with you."

I nodded and for a few fleeting moments, I was lost in a massive time warp. As we continued to tour around, I remembered the moments that my great-grandparents in law went through. The ups and downs. The heartache and the triumph. The firm belief to keep hope alive and to persevere.

fb18ac6beb36e549edd0b8035f609244.png

Hikari Inazuma, Ekaterina Verniyeva, Keiko Akatsuki and Hitomi Ikazuchi, the new co-owners of Furukawa Bread.

I visited the bakery, who was now under new ownership but still operating under the Furukawa Bread name. I met the owner of the shop. I said, "Excuse me, who are you?" The lady bowed and said. "My name is Keiko Akatsuki, and I am the owner of this bakery, at the request of the late Ushio Okazaki. Kyou Fujibayashi and Kotomi Ichinose are my great-grandmothers."

I said to her, "Yamato told me about her when she was alive. But aren't you supposed to be working at a school instead? Why are you here?"

She said, "Because Yamato's grandmother didn't want the bakery to close and I didn't want to go into teaching anyway. I have a number of friends that have decided to also assist and work as staff. They've heard great things about the legacy of the Furukawa combine and have elected to keep the tradition alive. We have their recipes which are guarded as trade secrets. However...we made important...improvements to the recipes."

A girl with long gray hair arrived. "Greetings," she said. "My name is Ekaterina Hibiki Verniyeva. I speak Japanese, Russian and English. I have introduced new types of pastries and desserts to the menu lineup and even incorporated liberal use of blueberries."

"Oh yeah, we forgot to introduce ourselves," said another person. "I'm Hitomi Ikazuchi, and my friend here is Hikari Inazuma. We're also full-time staff here," Hitomi said. "Hey Hikari, are you busy over there?"

"Busy as always-nanodesu!" she said, "Our house coffee is really popular with the customers. They're all sold out and another shipment is coming in in approximately two hours-nanodesu."

"What about the dango?"

"Dango will be ready in 15 minutes-nanodesu!"

"Hey now! See what I mean?" Hitomi said. "So this is a popular hangout with the locals and even neckbearded tourists from America because the history is there. They're making a push to give it some cultural recognition or honor because the original owners were pretty famous. Also here's a not-so-well-kept secret: they are Yamato's ancestors."

"Stop reminding me, it's embarrassing; I'm not that special!" Yamato exclaimed, blushing.

I kissed her lips. "You're not fooling anyone in this town and sure as the Dango Daikazoku, you're not gonna fool me. You're like royalty out here. I'm glad I'm your man. Embrace who you are." She gave me a good hug, coming to terms. Well, she's also a reincarnation of that ship from World War II and the staff and owners at Furukawa Bread were also warships in past lives. Not that they really minded; for them, just being working women empowering themselves was enough for them. And after eating at the restaurant, I visited the gravesite of my wife's grandmother and great-grandparents.

I think this visit to Setagaya Ward was uplifting. Yamato's predecessors were not celebrities or politicians or members of the Imperial Household. They were just normal people making a difference in the lives of others their way and people noticed that and honored them. They didn't ask for recognition. They only received it. Only drawback is that I now have a lot of dango-shaped pillows in my dorm room. No trouble sleeping, for sure.

Going forward, I don't ask for praise or any stuff like that. I don't come to Leafa College to just be a quarterback and play. I come for the education and pursue something meaningful. I don't think my great-grandparents in law received a college degree because they were out in the job sector, living life. That's what Yamato and I plan to do. The road, for us, doesn't end at Leafa. We're young, we're one, the road just begins, so let's shine for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
House Call: Players Leave Leafa College

By Satsuki Ranjou
Spirit News
January 21, 2073

A number of players have elected to leave Leafa College after a succeesful national championship campaign. Halfback Flynn Azuma has chosen to leave Leafa despite seeing considerable playing time. In a surprise move, Azuma will be enrolling at the U.S. Naval Academy with an intention to join the Australian Navy. Azuma ran for 338 yards on the ground and scored nine rushing touchdowns as a freshman.

"After talking it over with my family, I think it's best for me to move on," said Azuma after a face-to-face meeting with Coach Harding.

Left tackle Herman Wallwork is also calling it quits after seeing limited playing time for the Spirit. Despite earning all-conference honors, the 6'5" left tackle has elected to transfer to Central Michigan.

"You've taught me to always go with my heart...and my heart says to move on," said Wallwork during the meeting with Coach Harding.

Also leaving the program is halfback Noah Hu, who will move on to Penn State. "I'm ready to transfer to a place that I'm comfortable," said Hu during the meeting with Coach Harding. Hu did not get on the stats as a rusher, but he had two receptions for 55 yards and one touchdown.

Finally, right end Riley Adashino is going to transfer to UCLA after registering just one tackle all year. Adashino is Australia but has relatives who live in Beverly Hills. "Don't try and talk me out of this. I've made up my mind to transfer," said Adashino to Harding in a heated verbal exchange that saw Adashino, Hu, Wallwork and Azuma summarily dismissed from the program by the Coach.

"As of today, we are making arrangements to schedule Penn State, UCLA and Navy for next season while scheduling Central Michigan in 2074," said Coach Harding. "Also as of today, following a meeting from Herman Wallwork, Noah Hu, Flynn Azuma and Riley Adashino, all four have been dismised from the Spirit football program for electing to transfer.

"At Leafa, loyalty to the team is critically important, and while we are contractually obligated to wish them well, it is very unlikely that they will be reaching the pinnacles of success that we are planning to reach over the next several years. Those who stay with Leafa will be champions."

In other news, Allan MacInnis was promoted from Quarterbacks Coach to Offensive Coordinator after Rothwell Grundy was named head coach at Fresno State. Haruki Takayama, a former Mitakihara Magi quarterback, was named the new quarterback coach after retiring from playing pro football.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Spirit Football Coaching Staff (2073)
Head Coach: Dan Harding
Offensive Coord.: Allan MacInnis
Quarterbacks: Haruki Takayama
Running Backs: Sean Haskins
Receivers: D.A. McGraw
Offensive Line: Robert Irons
Defensive Coordinator: Archer Rampe
Defensive Line: Gil Tavares