• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Gooksta's 2044 WBL Draft Grades

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Future elite closer gets a D grade while future backup outfielders get B's and A's.

Call him whatever you want he is still a reliever and you took a reliever in the mid-first round. My grade takes into account who was available and when you took the player. Humphrey may end up being more valuable than some of those late firsts, but I think he was bad value that early.

Last edited:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Dont be hatin on Dato and Johnston son!!
I am low on catchers. They are more common that OF in this league right now.

Edit: :laughing: just realized those were your two guys. Totally not intentional. Catcher is a need for you, so I get that pick. I think Johnston was a reach though. There are a few other pitchers I liked more than him.

Wolfman21

Its cool. I can accept it. I'll just remember it when Wolfman becomes a 6 million dollar signing bonus reliever thats not as good as Humphrey. Billy has a chip on his shoulder and bulletin board material now.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Future elite closer gets a D grade while future backup outfielders get B's and A's.

n24dyHl.gif

Qual hates the draft and doesn't understand it. I wouldn't take his letter grade trolls too seriously. You stay, he can do the Jerry Gif and leave it to Number One Chief Sabermetrics Pro Gooksta.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Its cool. I can accept it. I'll just remember it when Wolfman becomes a 6 million dollar signing bonus reliever thats not as good as Humphrey. Billy has a chip on his shoulder and bulletin board material now.

The Dublin bulletin board is filled with sarcastic gifs from posts here.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
lol, wasn't talking about your grades Gook. Lando and OU hate Humphrey for some reason doe.
I never rate closers in the top 10 high. Only reason wolf might be a B is he can start. Which OFs are backups?

I don't like Humphrey as much due to his being better at pitching righties than left. Maybe it wont matter but it is a concern i have. I like closers to be equally good against both

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If i can sign wolfman i think he will be the better reliever, if im grading my pick as a reliever it is the same as yours

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Qual hates the draft and doesn't understand it. I wouldn't take his letter grade trolls too seriously. You stay, he can do the Jerry Gif and leave it to Number One Chief Sabermetrics Pro Gooksta.
No troll Rad. You'll just suck at drafting.

Wolfman21

Can't wait for this draft's Gooksta rankings.

You picked the best player available at your pick? C-

All jokes aside though, interested in seeing them for real. Lots of interesting choices in the draft so far.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I moved him up to AA so this could be the year he implodes. I have so many OF in my system

Gooksta

Can't wait for this draft's Gooksta rankings.

You picked the best player available at your pick? C-

All jokes aside though, interested in seeing them for real. Lots of interesting choices in the draft so far.
this yr or last?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
2044 Draft
Dublin Distillers Draft
Pick 1-4
Nathan Harrison - Outfielder
6'0" - 180 Lbs -Age 22

Floor - High: Nathan has a good floor seeing him being a starter somewhere. Guy is just glides out there and has amazing instincts.

Ceiling-Decent: Decent is somewhat deceiving here. Think he could make an All-Star game or two but I dont think he will be some all world game changer. That shouldnt take away from Harrison being a very VERY solid player. see him hitting around .280 with 15-25 HR's.

Pros: Guy is an Average OF'er.. has an average arm. He has maybe above average speed, but he just has amazing instincts. Student of the game and plays above his tools because of it. Kid wont allow himself to fail. Rumor is the Owner of the Distillers didn't just love Harrison, he wanted to adopt him! Have him as the best overall player in the draft.

Cons: He got a B+ in Thermodynamics.

Overall: Harrison just gets it! Good Athlete and a hard worker. Kid is what you want in a high draft pick. Give this pick an A.

Glided instinctively to the huge bust category.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I didn't do him any favors, he got stuck in AA too long when I went completely inactive and that probably really stunted his development.

Even since then, however, he has performed under his ratings.

Wolfman21

as much shit as I caught for drafting Humphrey at 1-8, hes been the One of the Top 3-4 players from that draft

ZackMills

Have mercy
2044 Draft
Baton Rouge Crawdads Draft
Pick 1-5
OF Bill Kirby - Outfielder
6'1" - 170 Lbs -Age 19

Floor - High: Kirby is most likely to be and everyday player in the UBL. good all round game and a plus power bat potential makes this kid very valuable.

Ceiling-High: Have him rated as the 2nd best CF in the class and 6th player overall and its mostly because of that bat. Possible Perennial All star, Plus power projection, he could be 30-40 HR guy. weather he becomes that is the great debate.

Pros: Kirby knows what he is doing at the plate. has a good approach and will take walks, so he wont strikeout a ton. Not the fastest guy, but a headsy baserunner, if the pitcher falls asleep Kirby can swipe a bag or two. I think his bat eventually moves him LF, but he can more than handle CF if need be. Arm is average, but it wont hurt you out there

Cons: High School kids are mostly projection. so it always come down to can he get to where everyone seems to have him projected. I like this kids chances.

Overall: Kirby Can hit and is athletic enough to play center. Huge upside. Middle of the lineup bat and middle of the field Defender. Love the pick - A

This must have been when @Reel was testing his "3 years before promotion" strategy. Didn't seem to work well for Mr. Kirby.

ZackMills

Have mercy
Fred Smith's , former 1-1, development is also interesting. Give 76 ABs in A (performance was meh), finish season in AAA, spend next two years in A...then why not go straight to WBL!

I honestly can't believe the WBLPA didn't come down on @Reel during his tenure. This abuse was uncalled for.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Fred Smith's , former 1-1, development is also interesting. Give 76 ABs in A (performance was meh), finish season in AAA, spend next two years in A...then why not go straight to WBL!

I honestly can't believe the WBLPA didn't come down on @Reel during his tenure. This abuse was uncalled for.

3GRKfga.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
2044 Draft
Australia All Whites Draft
Pick 1-10
OF Brandon Marsh - Outfield
6'0" - 175 Lbs -Age 20

Floor - Decent: Marsh's Floor is decent. At least he will be a 4th OF/defensive replacement.

Ceiling-Decent: Probably good enough to start on most clubs. Good athlete who can go get it in the Outfield

Pros: Above Average ability in the Outfield, good speed to cover a lot of ground. Can play all 3 OF spots if you need him too, not sure he has the arm for right though. should only play there in a pinch

Cons: Even with his good speed he is below average on the base paths. doesnt do things that should be routine. His bat Seems fringey to me. his approach and discipline are decent so with some work he could get better. I Currently see a .260 ish hitter with around 10-15 HRs.

Overall: I am back and forth with this kid. Some days he looks great and others its like he just started playing baseball that day, regardless he has talent and seems to work hard. hopefully he can put it together. Give this pick a C+

I think Marsh was unfortunate to not be given more development at CF and RF to boost his positional ratings. He had the fielding ratings to be competent at both spots and be good 4th OF prospect just like Gooksta said, but by the time I got him he was already 25 and I didn't figure out my training regimen until he was 26. That mad him have limited utility to me going forward, so I traded him to @Zachmills (who won that trade for sure) and it looks like he might turn the corner soon and have a productive late 20s.

I think development decisions are so important for setting the "floor" on these guys. Obviously you can't control the ceiling (certain guys pop and receive boosts above their drafted potential) but you can control how useful they are in at least a utility role.

Rob White is a perfect example of Osick's development ability giving that dude versatility by having him train at 1B as well to at least give him a "floor" as a player who deserves to be on your 25 man squad. Osick did a good job of recognizing his decent infield ratings for a catcher and getting him some versatility training.

If a player isn't a true starter at a position, then I want them to have the versatility to at least cover multiple spots. I think a lot of people neglect that in their dev plan for young players.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
To me Catchers with 35+ ratings in infield range and errors should all be cross trained as 1Bs. That's a good way to make sure you can get as many good bats on the field as possible.

@Mr. Radpants

Ur dude Erhard Dietrich is already 60 rated at catcher as a 21 year old and he's already playing well in AAA, but based on his current bat ratings he probably needs at least a few more years before he's WBL ready... Instead of continuing to have him play catcher in AAA (where he's close to topped out positional rating wise) or instead of grinding this seed corn and calling him up to the WBL in the next few years when ur team still sucks, why not give him a couple of seasons at 1B in AAA? His 40 infield ratings actually project to make a nice 1B. Go through the 1B guys and see how many of the dudes with even good positional ratings at 1B have low 40s for their infield ratings. They just need time there in order to become good. By the time this dude is 24 he could be a dual threat C and 1B with good fielding in both. At the very least that means he'll always have spot as a role player (floor), and if his bat develops to his potential you should end up some nice squad versatility.

WHO WANTS MY NEWSLETTER?