• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Copy of Larry Culpepper Golden Wax Vagina Trophy Championship - Ohio State v. Oregon

Brick

i just don't get the logic that "OH #4 TEAM THAT BARELY GOT IN WON SO LETS MAKE THE THING 16"

man i want to hate fuck chris fowler.

people against expansion don't deny that anyone from #1-#16 can beat each other any day, or consecutively.

oregon lost to #10 arizona
alabama lost to #9 ole miss
ohio state lost to #131421 virginia tech

it is not validation of the system. anyone who thought ohio state couldn't win is a moran.

if ur gonna be a playoff proponent, at least get ur argument right.

is it more entertaining than the BCS? damn right. four is fine by me. anything more is too much imo. there are tons of teams with 2 to 3 losses. pick those out of a hat. if you do 8 you may as well do 16 because generally they're the same types of teams: could beat anyone but didn't have an HURR ELITE DURR season.

Brick

and it's sad the domino effect this gon have on future playoffs. think next year if a big ten team is borderline. popcorn.gif

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
4 was perfect honestly, hopefully we can get at least one more year of 4 before we go to 8

Mame YO

slings rocks
I should admit: Ma'wife got mad at me and said that she "hopes ohio state wins" right before mariota fumbled early in the game (it was turned over and given back to the ducks). She must have unleashed the ju ju or something. I'm sorry guys. All hail @Pooperscooper, da reel reel MVP.

:(

I'll admit that I was disappointed that the Lebron tweet was not ridiculed in this thread. I knew it had to be sticking in people's craw, but just not enough to post about it. Lebron taking his talents to the Twitterverse.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
There are roughly 120 teams in the top division of college football, and unless that amount of teams is sufficiently paired down, 4 teams isn't enough statistical representation to determine a true champion. 8 team playoff means that less than 10% of teams even make the playoffs for a CHANCE to play for the championship in the playoffs. That is still by far the lowest playoff percentage of any sport in history. If the top 10% of your teams aren't "deserving" of playing for the national championship, then there are fundamental flaws in your sport so great that it should be completely disbanded and you need to reorganize from scratch. 8 team CFB playoffs is equivalent to the NFL starting their playoffs with the Super Bowl.

Now even in an 8 team playoff, how the teams are picked still matters, and I'm worried college football is going to really dick this up by giving conference champions autobids. In a system with round robin play for conference championships, this would actually be a good way to objectively pick playoff teams... but that's not the system we have. We have mong conference champion games where conferences are further subdivided to divisions. This means that every year some borderline .500 team will back into a conference championship game because the system is flawed (there is always a weak division somewhere). Then that team actually wins their conference championship game and makes the playoffs with a .500 record over teams that actually "deserve" it more. This "small division" issue is the same thing that fucks with the NFL

Anyway, here is how you perfectly split up a sport that has hundreds of teams (promotion/relegation talk inbound! @zeek)

Split the Power 5 Conferences (do some wheeling and dealing to exclude the shit teams and bring in the best of the mid majors) into 5 geographic 10 team conferences (3 southern conferences 2 northern conferences). Take the next 50 teams and do the same thing with them. Take the remaining 20 teams and add them to the best 30 FCS teams. Etc etc on down the line. Basically we are organizing all college athletics in segments of 50 in these 5 distinct geographical regions. The regions are "fuzzy" in that the boundaries move to keep the conferences as geographically close as possible.

At each level the conference plays a 9 game round robin conference schedule + 4 random games against the closest adjacent conferences (9+4 = 13 games total) conference champions are based on total record, not just conference record, with tie breakers being objective. The conference champions and the next 3 best record "wild card" teams (with objective tie breakers) make the 8 team playoff. With this setup, every playoff contender will be deserving. The championship teams will play a total of 15 games, just like now under the 4 team playoff with the mong conference championship games.

At the top level this is self explanatory and there is no added benefit other than playing for the championship. At the lower levels the teams are playing for the playoffs AND to get autopromotion to the upper division. The lowest performing teams 8 teams in the upper division (5 conference losers + 3 wild losers) would be autorelegated. You could also tweak this setup to add promotion/relegation playoffs, but I don't really like rewarding under performing upper division teams with an additional "out."

Each year the conferences would be re-shuffled based on the geographic locations of the remaining 50 teams.

Edit: Fixed %, thanks for pointing that out Redmond, the point is the same.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@Brick just hates the idea of playoffs because he knows Oregon will never be able to string together 3 wins against real competition because they are mentally weak and have a soft defensive underbelly that will never be able to stop real man footbaw running game. It would be far easier for them to be elected into the title game because of their #BRAND and only have to win one game. Oregon fan just like Bama fan.

DanishDonut0

What was the Lebron tweet? I remember him coming to some Oregon games decked out in Oregon gear. I suppose it would make sense for him to be an ohio state fan but in my mind he is just another Justin Bieber-like bandwagoner.

There are roughly 120 teams in the top division of college football, and unless that amount of teams is sufficiently paired down, 4 teams isn't enough statistical representation to determine a true champion. 8 team playoff means that less than 1% of teams even make the playoffs for a CHANCE to play for the championship in the playoffs. That is still by far the lowest playoff percentage of any sport in history. If the top 1% of your teams aren't "deserving" of playing for the national championship, then there are fundamental flaws in your sport so great that it should be completely disbanded and you need to reorganize from scratch. 8 team CFB playoffs is equivalent to the NFL starting their playoffs with the Super Bowl.

Is this a trap?

8 isn't less than 1% of 120. Neither is 4, for that matter. Less than 10%, yes.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Is this a trap?

8 isn't less than 1% of 120. Neither is 4, for that matter. Less than 10%, yes.

I meant less than 10% and just left the zero off in my rage induced posting coma. The point about the Superbowl still stands. 2/32 and 8/120 are basically the same "playoff percentage." So if the top 8 "aren't worthy" in college football, then the top 2 seeds "aren't worthy" in the NFL.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
If you think my Tebow Schtick is relentless on here, you should see me with my work colleagues.

On Friday we were talking about the game and I said "I'm not even going to watch, I'm just going to go ice fishing because I can't take watching another Peyton Manning angry dad face Meltdown making me long for the days of Tebow." Everyone laughed at me.

Then yesterday my coworker comes in and says "I'm not even mad about the game, I'm mad at you for breaking my mind! All game long I was asking myself what Tebow would have done! I bet Tebow would have hit that deep ball, he was always good at those, I bet Tebow would have scrambled and picked up that first down. FUUUUUUU" Oh man he's so mad. We were talking about the corching search this morning and I said "I'd really love if they hired Urban Meyer and then brought Tebow back" and then I just poured my coffee and strutted away into my office, not even waiting for a reply. The BTT equivalent of a mic drop
You actually talk to your coworkers? Lawd

I meant less than 10% and just left the zero off in my rage induced posting coma. The point about the Superbowl still stands. 2/32 and 8/120 are basically the same "playoff percentage." So if the top 8 "aren't worthy" in college football, then the top 2 seeds "aren't worthy" in the NFL.

I figured that is what you meant, but you repeated 1% twice so I was nonplussed.

Wooly

That's why I always fucking loved Tebow. He was too dumb to ever be rattled. Like a Golden Retriever playing fetch. He doesn't get sad when you trick him by faking to throw the ball, he just believes the ball is going to be thrown every single time no matter how many times you mess with him. The ball will get thrown again soon and I will retrieve it and I will be happy. Tebow could throw 500 incompletions or get smeared in the backfield or whatever, but eventually it was going to be the 4th quarter and he was still sure he was going to win and the doubt would creep into the other team and then sure enough the magic happened.

I hate having smart QBs like manning who fold like a wet noodle when the first snap of the game goes over their head. The whole fucking super bowl was undone by one bad snap because Peyton's God-like mind could not handle such a plebe mistake. He'd sit on the bench and pout about how life isn't fair and how his superior intellect should be winning the game for them if their teammates wouldn't make stupid mistakes.

I don't want smart footbaw players, give me some mongoloid who believes skittles give him super powers (and a coaching staff who understands and values the mongoloid). Yes Marshawn, the skittles do turn you into Beast Mode! I don't care how dumb it sounds as long as he believes it. This is why Vince Young and Tebow would have been NFL gods if their coaches knew enough to stay out of their fucking way with trying to "convert them to the pro game." Nope, just run 6 plays and let that magical dumb asshole troll you all the way to victory.

Are you saying Spider Y Banana is not the way to play football?

Footbaw >>> football?

Mame YO

slings rocks
You know, I'm moving on after this, but it's pretty fucking stupid that the narrative is right back to BIG BOY FOOTBAWWWW BEATS ORYGUN when in reality OSU uses a lot of the same fucking plays and shares similar philosophies as oregon (sans tempo, which Meyer has never really bought into ala kelly/Helfrich). Hell, that trap play that OSU ran over and over is a very similar play that Oregon has used for years. I can't remember the exact games it was used in but fishduck has featured that trap and it's variations on not one, but two articles since 2010. The sweep OSU used is the exact version Kelly brought to Oregon. But yeah, big boy footbaw wrecks orygun yep yep dey just a weak finesse team mhmm. Indisputable.

You know, I'm moving on after this, but it's pretty fucking stupid that the narrative is right back to BIG BOY FOOTBAWWWW BEATS ORYGUN when in reality OSU uses a lot of the same fucking plays and shares similar philosophies as oregon (sans tempo, which Meyer has never really bought into ala kelly/Helfrich). Hell, that trap play that OSU ran over and over is a very similar play that Oregon has used for years. I can't remember the exact games it was used in but fishduck has featured that trap and it's variations on not one, but two articles since 2010. The sweep OSU used is the exact version Kelly brought to Oregon. But yeah, big boy footbaw wrecks orygun yep yep dey just a weak finesse team mhmm. Indisputable.

You'll be shocked to hear this, but I mostly agree with you.

I will say that while Oregon and Ohio State do share a lot in terms of scheme, the execution of it by Ohio State is a bit more on the physical side.

Brick

just don't watch it @Mame YO. i shut it off when the clock hit 0. did not watch halftime. won't turn on a sports channel until march madness. have not read any analysis outside of this thread.

@Travis7401 @DeadMan

“I heard somebody open and shut the gate to the barn lot, but I didn't look around. If I didn't look around it would not be true that somebody had opened the gate with the creaky hinges, and that is a wonderful principle for a man to get hold of... What you don't know know don't hurt you, for it ain't real. They called that Idealism in my book I had when I was in college, and after I got hold of that principle I became an Idealist... If you are an Idealist it does not matter what you do or what goes on around you because it isn't real anyway.”
Robert Penn Warren, All the King's Men: Restored Edition

ZeekLTK

We have mong conference champion games where conferences are further subdivided to divisions. This means that every year some borderline .500 team will back into a conference championship game because the system is flawed (there is always a weak division somewhere).

Am disappointed shots weren't fired at SEC West here. :trollface:

Last edited:

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Just heard car sale Jones on Dan Patrick. Seemed very humble and intelligent. I'm sure he's grown up a lot since that tweet. I guess he had a tough background and he gave the best answer to, "how did you overcome your background?", that I've heard. Paraphrasing, but he said he didn't want credit for that. Lots of people overcome tough backgrounds and lots of people are doing it every dat. He wasn't the first and won't be the last. Too bad he plays for urban. I'd root for the big mong otherwise. Maybe he can be a Titan next year after Mecklenburger shits the bed next season.