• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Coaches' Hot Seat/ Carousel 2015-16

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Rumor is he'd bring the top QB recruit in the country with him. That's about all the gossip I can deal with for one day.

I'd be fine with Richt. Not my first choice, but not DickRod or Charlie Strong either.

PSUEagle

Richt would be a solid hire IMO. Miami could aim higher upside wise, but they could also do way worse. If nothing else he'll keep most of the local talent from fleeing, build a competent organizational structure, etc. There's zero chance he'll leave the program in worse shape than when he retires than when he takes the job.

Richt is a hell of a corch and an even better person. Uga will miss him.

LOL

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
What's lol about it? He is a class act and brought Georgia back from shit. He went 9-3 with no qb. Oh how terrible. Georgia football history is Herschel walker and Vince Dooley. Outside of that, they haven't won shit.

PSUEagle

Knowing ur posting style I figured that was some ruse.

FWIW I agree with you: he seems like as good a guy as you'll find in the profession. Always represented the school with class (even in the press conference where he was fired) and won consistently. UGA may upgrade, but chances are good the next guy will be worse.

People think Richt and Miles are retards, but if it was so easy to win at those schools how come they both had 20+ year periods in the wilderness?

GuyIncognito

What's lol about it? He is a class act and brought Georgia back from shit. He went 9-3 with no qb. Oh how terrible. Georgia football history is Herschel walker and Vince Dooley. Outside of that, they haven't won shit.

But what Moneyball bullshit wizardry has he come up with? You can't just be a good recruiter, coach, and have connections to the program. You have to one of the most brilliant minds in the game, an Xs and Os genius that gets everybody wet just by explaining your position on 2nd and short and the utility in going for it on 4th down more than average.

GuyIncognito

BTW, I still haven't seen any more corroboration of this, so it goes back into "wild speculation" territory for now as far as I'm concerned.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
But what Moneyball bullshit wizardry has he come up with? You can't just be a good recruiter, coach, and have connections to the program. You have to one of the most brilliant minds in the game, an Xs and Os genius that gets everybody wet just by explaining your position on 2nd and short and the utility in going for it on 4th down more than average.

Sounds like you need Charlie Weis and his schematic advantage. :laughing:

Yeah, I just became a huge Mike Riley fan.

The excitement in Orlando seems to be extreme. It's a much flashier hire than anyone was expecting. Apparently UCF made an offer to Schiano and he let it expire to see what Miami did, probably thinking that UCF would wait for him. As much as Schiano is a proven commodity, I don't think he has the same ceiling that Frost potentially has. So I'm good with our approach...all the players and recruits have reacted really well. Hope he is able to hit the trail tomorrow and start getting us some athletes.

Also, re: Coach O, told my buddies that they misread what I was typing. When I said Orgeron, I meant Oregon.

I was honestly (with my USF rooting interests) hoping they would go 'retread' with a Coach O or Randy Shannon type. To me that would assure them hovering around 5-7 / 7-5 for a while. Instead they took a daring gamble, the type I was hoping USF would take had Taggart not given up on his knockoff Harbaugh offense, swallowed his pride and opened things up. Most coaches would rather lose their way than win trying something else, so I guess kudos to him. The OL was very senior laden though, so I am a bit bearish on their prospects next season when they could very well be a lot of pundits' pick to be the non P5 big bowl invite.

Back on topic though, there really isn't another Florida school running an up tempo style offense. FSU never really needs to, since for whatever reason they get every big name pro-style QB and OL they want. But for schools who aren't UF or FSU, you'd think they would try to take advantage of that in-state speed and go up-tempo, since OL don't really grow on trees down here like they do in Wisconsin (and the few that are that good go to FSU/UF)

Yeah, there's a chance Frost bolts if he has success, but if he leaves the program in better shape than he finds it, so be it.

And seriously, if UGA doesn't already have a handshake deal with Smart that will become official after the SEC CG, then there really was no reason to fire Richt. Hiring away Houston's coach or someone like Mullen won't really be an upgrade. I love UGA, but they seem, like Nebraska, and Tennessee before them, to have an over-inflated sense of how relevant they really are. And if they don't nail this hire, they could be about as irrelevant as Tenn for the next decade.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Richt at Miami will make Miami a lot better. At the very least he should chew through the pathetic Coastal division and get the Canes into the All Canes Conference championship game for the first time ever.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think Richt would be a solid hire at Miami, for what it's worth. Besides his most recent OC hire, he's been decent at getting coordinators in. I bet he would lock down Miami recruiting. The things that would make me nervous are his age and ceiling. The vast majority of coaches have a shelf life, and Richt, if he's not there already, will be there soon. I'm also not sure he's a coach to get Miami to a championship level. I'd bet the house on him averaging 8-9 wins a year, but I'm not sure if he'll do much beyond playing in the ACC title game every few years. Could be wrong about that, though, because he's not going to be facing Saban or Meyer in the ACC.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

Right. If you recruit well and half half-decent coordinators, our division is trash. There is no reason at all Miami shouldn't dominate the division on talent alone.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Meh Richt is 55, 5 years older than Jimbo Fisher and 9 years younger than Butch Davis. Richts shelf life isnt an issue for another decade. To me Butch Davis is a riskier hire due to his age. At some point recruits wont come due to fear of retirement.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Meh Richt is 55, 5 years older than Jimbo Fisher and 9 years younger than Butch Davis. Richts shelf life isnt an issue for another decade. To me Butch Davis is a riskier hire due to his age. At some point recruits wont come due to fear of retirement.

Age isn't exactly what I'm talking about. I just think after a certain amount of time, most coaches get passed by by other coaches. Richt has been a coordinator or head coach at a power school for over 20 years now. That's a really long time to be at that level, and there aren't many coaches that can last that long and still be good. How many coaches have ever kept a school at an elite level for 20 years since World War II? Bear Byrant, Tom Osborne, maybe Nick Saban and Bill Snyder? I can tell you one thing for certain, Mark Richt is not any of those guys. I think you could look at his career and compare it to Fulmer, and it would be very similar at this point.

None of that makes him a bad coach. He's probably just not on the level he used to be. The real danger is that he continues to slip into a coach that averages 7 wins a year.

GuyIncognito

But again, the situation at Miami is that you're going to be flat better than 9-10-11 opponents every year.

You don't have to set the world on fire. Just win the games you're supposed to win and you'll be straight.

GuyIncognito

We had 7 freakin draft picks taken off a 6-7 team last year, including five in the first three rounds. And this current roster has a bunch more guys that are going to play on Sundays.

The talent is there, and the ACC is trash. Just don't be stupid bad.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Age isn't exactly what I'm talking about. I just think after a certain amount of time, most coaches get passed by by other coaches. Richt has been a coordinator or head coach at a power school for over 20 years now. That's a really long time to be at that level, and there aren't many coaches that can last that long and still be good. How many coaches have ever kept a school at an elite level for 20 years since World War II? Bear Byrant, Tom Osborne, maybe Nick Saban and Bill Snyder? I can tell you one thing for certain, Mark Richt is not any of those guys. I think you could look at his career and compare it to Fulmer, and it would be very similar at this point.

None of that makes him a bad coach. He's probably just not on the level he used to be. The real danger is that he continues to slip into a coach that averages 7 wins a year.

Richt is a quality coach, even at UGA. It is just UGA felt winning 10 games a year wasn't enough. It seems to me when really good coaches lapse it is usually due to age. Bryant was 69, looked 85 and died shortly after retirement, Bowden was nearly 80, Osbourne retired at a high point, and Snyder hasnt been lighting it up year in year out like he used to. I see Richt as having another decades worth of quality coaching in him. But UGA wasnt a fit anymore. They wanted more than he was capable of delivering in that situation.

Richt at Miami will be shocking if he slips to 7 wins a year. I mean, even Al effin Golden was capable of that. I am with Mak, Richt cleans up locally and makes quality hires\game decisions. They win 10-11 games on talent alone. The Coastal is hot garbage.

Wooly

What the hell are you talking about?
The 06 Florida team had 1 loss and played the top 4 in the SEC West.
The 2008 Florida team had 1 loss and played the top 4 in the SEC West.

Im assuming youre referring to 2009 when Florida was the undefeated defending national champs who lost to an also undefeated Alabama team in the SECCG and literally no one was calling for them to get into the title game for a rematch.

It was 2009, and the talk was before Alabama and Florida played. There were 5-6 undefeated teams vying for the BCS NC game, and the media was debating who should get in. The SEC media was arguing that no matter who won the Bama-Florida game, the winner should get in because they played in the "toughest conference". They were implying that both teams had played harder schedules just by being in the SEC. This is an argument we have heard forever. The truth was that the SEC was average that year, and Florida had only played one good SEC team before the CCG. They missed Bama and Miss during the reg season, and FSU was average that year, and Florida had played a few creampuffs on their schedule too. Bama had a better claim to a decent schedule, but it was not great as implied by the media for being in the SEC. Texas, Cincinnati, and Boise St were all undefeated going into the CCG weekend too, so there was more controversy than usual about who should get in. The media was circling their wagons a little early for the SEC because there were other teams in the argument that year. Everyone figured Texas would be the second team, but there was a decent argument for Cincinnati having a tougher schedule than Florida and being more deserving to play Texas. Florida was the favorite over Bama in the SEC CCG, if IIRC, so SEC fans/media were already lobbying Cincinnati vs Florida. Florida had 1 win against Top 25, and Cincy had 3, and this is what was being argued about in the media.

Again, it doesn't matter so much who you think is right in that argument. The whole point of this example (for that it is all it is), is the lazy thinking behind arguments taking the shape of: "Team A is better/more deserving because they are 12-1 in the [favorite conference here]." It simply doesn't matter what conference they are in, you just look at the actual schedule of Team A and compare to other teams actual schedules too. That takes some work, though and the media/fans don't usually take the time to work out an argument. They just make that incorrect assumption that a team from a "tough" conference has played a "tough schedule". That was the statement that Bruin228 made, and I pointed that out, and picked an example that came to mind, albeit six years ago and not a perfect recollection.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, I don't ever remember that happening. Florida lost by nearly 3 TDs and prestige program Texas was 13-0. I doubt the rematch was brought up by very many people, if anyone.

And again, my point that Mullen was 54-35 in the SEC West was not saying he had won in the SEC West. But keep fucking that chicken, I guess.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Well obviously your point was driven home when Cincinatti completely destroyed Florida in the sugar bowl that year, once and for all proving that they really deserved to be ahead of Florida.

Wooly

The point is the lazy thinking, which actually becomes fact for a lot of people. Bruin228 made such a statement, so I pointed it out.
Bruin228 quote:
Mississippi State's overall winning percentage is .461 without Mullen. Mullen has won .607 of his games there in arguably the toughest division in college football. That's why people recognize he's a good coach.
Your statement implies exactly what I am talking about. If you actually meant something else, than you didn't pick the right wording. There is really no other way to interpret the meaning of that sentence.

The example was that 2009 year with all the arguments surrounding several undefeated teams before the CCG. I remember a poll where the schedule of all these teams were compared blindly, and people incorrectly identified Cinncy's schedule as being Florida's, it was very telling. You heard that lazy thinking all during that debate. You can pick any example of it you want, it happens almost every year really, some are just more pronounced than other years. What actually happened after the CCG and Bowls in 2009 is beside the point. The lazy thinking was very evident when there were a bunch of undefeated teams arguing over who should get into the BCS NC game.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Lazy thinking is assuming you know what my point is. Your argument was that I was implying he had won a bunch of games in a tough division. That's never what I said. I brought up his overall record and compared it to the SEC West is because a lot of his losses are attributable to the fact that he coaches arguably the worst program in that division and has to face teams like Alabama, Auburn, and LSU every year. If those same teams played in the Sun Belt, they would win a lot more games. That's common sense, not LAZY THINKING OMG.

As Gator pointed out, the 2009 season is a pretty idiotic point to harp on because Cincy got absolutely obliterated by Florida in the Sugar Bowl.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
If we are really going to try to argue a defending national champion who was undefeated until that point is going to be left out for a Big East champ then this is a world I no longer care to live in.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Richt is a quality coach, even at UGA. It is just UGA felt winning 10 games a year wasn't enough. It seems to me when really good coaches lapse it is usually due to age. Bryant was 69, looked 85 and died shortly after retirement, Bowden was nearly 80, Osbourne retired at a high point, and Snyder hasnt been lighting it up year in year out like he used to. I see Richt as having another decades worth of quality coaching in him. But UGA wasnt a fit anymore. They wanted more than he was capable of delivering in that situation.

Richt at Miami will be shocking if he slips to 7 wins a year. I mean, even Al effin Golden was capable of that. I am with Mak, Richt cleans up locally and makes quality hires\game decisions. They win 10-11 games on talent alone. The Coastal is hot garbage.

I'm just saying that Richt went from averaging 10.25 wins a year in his first 8 at Georgia to 9 a year in his last 7. That's not a huge drop off, obviously, but he stopped averaging 10 wins a year halfway through his coaching tenure. Winning percentage went from 78.8% to 68.5% in the same timeframe. Again, not a huge drop off, but I think it might indicate that he lost his fastball in his last 7 years. I think he's definitely not as good of a coach as he was in the early 2000s. He should still get Miami 9 wins a year, easily, in that conference. But there's a danger he continues to slip and be just another mediocre coach.

Given Miami's constraints, I'd grade him as an A- hire. I don't know that they can do much better without taking a huge risk on a guy.

GuyIncognito

Given Miami's constraints, I'd grade him as an A- hire. I don't know that they can do much better without taking a huge risk on a guy.

Agreed. Like I've said all along, I'm not sure what the hell people are expecting. Miami has the luxury of not having to hit a home run hire to be a nationally competitive program, and that's good because there is little incentive for home run type candidates to take the job.

Richt would be fine.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Richt is only 55? Surprising to me.

Yeah, I was surprised by that, too. I was sure he was in his 60s.

Just for the Fulmer comparison to be even closer - he was fired from Tennessee at 58.

Something else surprising - DJ Durkin is 37.

i

You could tell me that he was 50 and I wouldn't bat an eye.

GuyIncognito

Still just rumors, but now involving ESPN dongs and local beat people saying "100%" that Richt is the guy.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
So Georgia got rid of richt and hired smart. Has to be the worst corching decision ever. Is smart going to bring saban with him?

Usc hires a no name.

Miami is the winner so far.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Back to Dr. Sad?
lee-corso-meme.jpg

I don't know. He seems decent. Had good defenses at Wisconsin before having good defenses at Ohio State. Read an article on Cleveland.com that made me like him. Hopefully he can make some good assistant/ coordinator hires and do the thing. I prefer him over guys like Golden and Cristobal.