• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I'm watching the 30 for 30 The U Part II. Just as I remember, the PI on Glenn Sharpe is the worst call of all time. Worse than the first base call in the KC-STL World Series.

Sure but there was some random offsides in the second quarter that went the Canes way, so it wasn't that bad a call.

CJ_24

Those Miami teams should have won 3 straight titles. They got boned on 00 and robbed in 02. I believed that then, and my conviction is even firmer now.

CJ_24

It's so silly looking at the BCS that year. Miami (#3) beat #2 (FSU, and #5 (VT).

The problem was that #2 FSU lost to #3 Miami, while #3 Miami lost to #4 Washington. So, FSU had the "better loss", and that gave them the edge in the computers, never-mind that, that loss was to the #3 team who also beat #5. *

SHOULD HAVE BEEN THREE STRAIGHT TITLES. :emo::emo::emo:

VIRGINIA TECH, WELCOME TO ANOTHER DECADE OF IRRELEVANCE!

*I'll add the caveat that I can't remember exactly if VT was 5 and UW was 4 or if it was vice versa.

Keith1212

You mean guys like Sherko who helped win national titles? He likes big farm boys from the hinterlands because they make good offensive linemen. There is a lot of physical talent in South Florida, but the Oline-play at the HS level is trash.

I think your comment contradicts itself. The fact that guys went to the league at all is a testament to Kehoe's tutelage. And there were a LOT of them. Shit, half the lineman I played with ended up in the NFL. And my love of Kehoe stems from my first hand personal experience with him, and that of dozens of other linemen.

In what weird-ass world are we going to say that Ereck Flowers (who left as an underclassman, btw) going in the first round of the NFL draft is some kind of black mark on the guy who put him there?

It's just inexplicable. The hate for Kehoe and especially Swasey is inexplicable.

You're right: the strength coach is important, because he's the backdoor around the NCAA's 20 hour limit and around the idea that any of this shit is "voluntary." So it's NOT his fucking "credentials" that make him important. The actual weight program is probably the least important part of his job.

When I played, Swasey was the first person you saw in the morning. He set the tone for the day, he chewed on the guys that needed chewing, he boosted the guys that needed boosting. He's the guy you take your problems to. You spend more time with him than you do with anyone else, and I would urge any recruits who take visits to places to make it a point to talk to the strength coach because that guy is basically dad for the next 4-5 years of your life.

But if you understand that, then the venomous, bilious hatred of Swasey by the internet fans should repulse you the same way it does me, because all THAT stuff is where Swasey excelled. That's why so many former players were so upset about his ouster that it turned into a fucking ESPN story. When does that ever happen?

But naw, the fucking fans probably know better than all the guys who played for Swasey. Why listen to what Santana Moss or Edgerrin James or Ed Reed has to say when we have fucking Keith the birthday boy to set us straight?

If you truly understand the role of the strength coach to a college football team then the Swasey hate has to go.

Like I always said, there's no doubt that Swasey was great at being "basically dad" but the fact that he sucked at the weight room part of his job is important and is what got him fired. The sucking at the weight room part is also what is easiest to see. So while you put everything on the "basically dad" part I rightfully don't give a fuck. Anybody can do that shit. It's the knowledge and experience in putting together a decent strength program that the program has been missing for too long from my view.

It's not rocket science but its not as simple as you wish it was either. Getting someone qualified in there will help the football program better than Swasey was. That's all the hatred was about. While you were cool with keeping everything as is with a coordinator change or two most sensible people that want what's best for the program saw that wholesale changes needed to be made.

Nobody said Richt's resume DOESN'T blow away those guys. That was NEVER the point.

The point is that all I ever said is that I wanted a guy with ties to the program, who would be a good recruiter, wouldn't skip town, and would hire new coordinators.

Cristobal would have qualified, and so does Richt.

But you guys (keith specifically) wanted the entire program burned down, and you most decidedly didn't get that.

:grin:

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
It's NOT what the hatred was about because the internet fans are in no position to assess whether someone is qualified for their job, especially not over the protests of the players themselves and the NFL product.

The idea that you know better than all the Miami players what it takes to be a good strength coach is laughable on its face. The suggestion you incessantly make that Swasey is the reason the team declined on the field is similarly ridiculous and flies in the face of the data.

The suggestion that you have some inside knowledge of UGA's assistant strength coach to determine that Miami has made a step up in that department (even while UGA fans cheer their departure with the same bullshit you spew about Miami) is incomprehensible.

GuyIncognito

And don't get me started on hearing about "what's best for the program" from someone who has zero connection or stake in any of it, and whose fandom started based on a videogame.

You have as much authority to speak on what's best for Miami football as I do to lecture the Pittsburgh Penguins about their situation because I always played them in NHL 94.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
yeah, I always hate it when professional internet commenters with no first-hand experience or knowledge of a subject act like authorities on something because they read something online and have some unassailable opinions based on nothing of substance, don't you?

GuyIncognito

"Based on nothing of substance" is the key there. A lack of evidence, a lack of data, a lack of logic. Sure, yeah, I hate that. I hate when people can't support their uneducated opinions with anything but repeating them. And I hate when people make insinuations and then scurry off without ever bothering to flesh out their argument.

If you're going to offer an opinion and fight for it, then have some substance to your argument.

Keith1212

Firstly, I became a Miami Hurricane fan before I joined this board. I was a Miami Hurricane fan before I joined the Ikon version of this board which is before you even got here. The NCAA game had nothing to do with me being a fan, it just led me to this community. I have no ties to the school. I did choose the Hurricanes when I became aware of college football but I did stick with them through all this crap and will continue to stick with them.

I don't care to really argue with you on this because I don't want to prove anything to you. When it comes to football I think you got screwed. Your experience on those underachieving Cane's teams with shit staffs wasn't good in terms of acquiring football knowledge or understanding the game. That's the kind of impact playing for shit coaches has on football knowledge. I went from a decent coaching staff in HS to a really good one in college (D3 to be clear) and the experience between the two was night and day. What they had us focus on when it came to film, the techniques they had us practice and how they had us work out was so far beyond what I did before. Then a few of my friends and teammates from HS played division 1 and 2 ball. Two of them went pro. I went to go see them up at their schools. I spoke to their teammates. That experience and access helped me understand the game a little better than most. I was able to see and understand that all those Cane's teams you were on the practice squad for were under coached badly. So with that and who and what you argue for here, I can tell you don't know football as well as you think you do. All you know is shit Canes football and that's your problem. All that means is when I shit on the people you know from back then you get really pissy and talk a ton of shit because you're coming from a place of ignorance and personal bias. Not a good mix.

Anyway, Miami football has been relative shit for a long time now. The school finally changed course with Donna Shalala's departure and hired a decent coach for once. He fired everybody which says a ton. Let's see how the upcoming seasons play out. I'm looking forward.

GuyIncognito

I did stick with them through all this crap and will continue to stick with them.

Wait, what? You've done nothing but bitch and moan and complain for the last decade. How is that sticking with anything? You constantly troll this thread with your bile about everybody and everything. What the hell are you talking about? Constantly bitching and demanding everybody's head on a pike is not "sticking with" shit. It's internet fandom.

The guy with no attachment to football or the program and who became a fan from video games is complaining about the ignorance of the ex-players about their own program? Got it.

GuyIncognito

Being a driveby bandwagon fan is much easier, you can't care too much about the minutae of two different schools.

That's the other thing that bugs me about all this. I'm not sure why anybody pretends to care that much in the first place. This shit is just a constant reminder that people put way too much of their emotional well-being in something that has absolutely no effect on their lives at all.

Most of the time it's just kind of a quirk of life, but when it turns as malicious as this anti-Miami thing has gotten over the past few years, it's really depressing. I take it personally because I have personal relationships with some of these people and I don't want them to be hurt. Kevin Beard has a family. Kehoe has a family. These guys have to uproot their entire lives and scrape something else together now, and that sucks.

But why the fuck does some internet fan half the world away care so much and take it so personally as to gloat and brag over the misfortune of these people? The fact that anyone would derive so much satisfaction from such a negative thing is so perverted and warped to me. To them it's their livelihood. To the internet fan it's *nothing* it's a couple hours of your Saturday. It's a fucking game, one that the internet fan has invested absolutely nothing into.

Be satisfied that you think the team is on the upswing, fine, but to constantly gloat over and denigrate individuals just to be spiteful, I just don't get it.

Keith1212

Wait, what? You've done nothing but bitch and moan and complain for the last decade. How is that sticking with anything? You constantly troll this thread with your bile about everybody and everything. What the hell are you talking about? Constantly bitching and demanding everybody's head on a pike is not "sticking with" shit. It's internet fandom.

The guy with no attachment to football or the program and who became a fan from video games is complaining about the ignorance of the ex-players about their own program? Got it.

Haha. So sticking with it to you means rooting for the team and not complaining. How idiotic.

Be satisfied that you think the team is on the upswing, fine, but to constantly gloat over and denigrate individuals just to be spiteful, I just don't get it.

Oh you still don't get that? haha.

That's because of you. Look at how you post about this. You post just like the majority of the internet Cane fans you keep trying to crap on but you somehow manage to be even more clueless. You always put yourself on some pedestal as an ex-player when you were just a walk on practice squad guy on some shit Miami teams. That kind of shit means nothing to me regardless. Especially with the way you post regarding the team. You thought Miami was a coordinator or two away from doing better. What team are you watching?

You should take your head out of the clouds. I don't know what your head was doing up there in the first place but it's not just internet fans that were sick of where the program was going. A few of your teammates that actually managed to start and get into the league weren't happy with where things were either. I don't even know if you knew that with the shit you're talking.

All of that shit is irrelevant. Stop being a dick. I don't give a fuck that you were on past teams. Get over my differing opinion. Your friends are gone and the program is better for it.

Agree or disagree, it doesn't matter, go Canes

GuyIncognito

That's because of you. Look at how you post about this. You post just like the majority of the internet Cane fans you keep trying to crap on but you somehow manage to be even more clueless. You always put yourself on some pedestal as an ex-player when you were just a walk on practice squad guy on some shit Miami teams. That kind of shit means nothing to me regardless. Especially with the way you post regarding the team. You thought Miami was a coordinator or two away from doing better. What team are you watching?

You should take your head out of the clouds. I don't know what your head was doing up there in the first place but it's not just internet fans that were sick of where the program was going. A few of your teammates that actually managed to start and get into the league weren't happy with where things were either. I don't even know if you knew that with the shit you're talking.

All of that shit is irrelevant. Stop being a dick. I don't give a fuck that you were on past teams. Get over my differing opinion. Your friends are gone and the program is better for it.

Agree or disagree, it doesn't matter, go Canes

wat. I don't "put myself on a pedestal" at all, except insofar as my own personal experience allows me to know bullshit like "the strength and conditioning coach is the reason we lose games" when I see it.

But calling that bullshit out doesn't require any particular "inside" knowledge. Southpaw called it out too. And Lightningwar. All it takes is a modicum of familiarity with how a football program operates to see why that's such a stupid criticism of Miami under Swasey.

And Miami is a couple coordinators away, we're going to find that out real soon. Unless you also extend your weird understanding of strength and conditioning to suggest that any success the team has this year will only be the result of 6 months of strength training under a new staff.

But all of that is beside the point. Your gloomy, bitchy attitude started way before Richt was hired and way before anyone was let go. So it has nothing to do with me, it has to do with "fans" who only care about the team insofar as they liked playing them in a video game and not having a very solid perspective about the role of college football in the life of someone who has exactly zero invested in any of it.

You claim you got everything you want and you're still in here trolling and bitching. What does that say?

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I don't care to really argue with you on this

QyZso.gif

GuyIncognito

And nobody was happy with "where things were." Wow, that's some deep insight there. The former players didn't care for more than a decade of mediocrity.

That's not the problem. The problem is the laughable-on-its face argument that Andreu Swasey, Art Kehoe, and Kevin Beard were the reason the defense was trash and the offense called stupid plays all the time. And none of them deserve any credit for the individual success of the players they individually worked with.

Everything negative that had nothing to do with them was their fault, every bit of success produced by them was just a fluke or luck or some other shit.

Anybody who watched this team under Golden, Coley, and D'Onofrio and concluded "hmm, the problem is the WR coach, the OL coach, and the fact that these guys can't clean as much as they should" shouldn't be allowed to watch football anymore.

Keith1212

And nobody was happy with "where things were." Wow, that's some deep insight there. The former players didn't care for more than a decade of mediocrity.

That's not the problem. The problem is the laughable-on-its face argument that Andreu Swasey, Art Kehoe, and Kevin Beard were the reason the defense was trash and the offense called stupid plays all the time. And none of them deserve any credit for the individual success of the players they individually worked with.

Everything negative that had nothing to do with them was their fault, every bit of success produced by them was just a fluke or luck or some other shit.

Anybody who watched this team under Golden, Coley, and D'Onofrio and concluded "hmm, the problem is the WR coach, the OL coach, and the fact that these guys can't clean as much as they should" shouldn't be allowed to watch football anymore.

hahaha

They were all problems. You think Kehoe and Swasey weren't problems, I say they were all problems.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
This isn't arguing to me. I'm just talking shit :thumbsup:

Feel free to take part

This probably breaks my don't get worked up about sports policy that I put in place a few years back.

Mak, I do think there are panic monkeys and people who get pretty negative about individual players/coaches in every fanbase. I also think that the overall attitude of SoFla fans is pretty vitriolic compared to other areas. Dudes taking arguments to the point where there are real life threats made, etc. I think you oversimplify things by blaming this on Internet fans. NY alumni and transplants, SoFla natives, internet fans from wherever... There are a lot of factors that go into the expectations and negativity.

GuyIncognito

It's true that internet fans is probably underinclusive. And like I said above in response to Yankee's post, I do think some of this nonsense is present across the country and has more to do with how we internalize sports despite the fact none of it matters.

But I also think Miami is uniquely susceptible to this bullshit from the internet fans. It's a small, expensive school without a very wide alumni base. It's also a very prominent and successful program over the past generation that earned it a lot of fans with no attachment to the university. So I think the internet fans are probably more of a problem for Miami than most programs (if for no other reason than that they're not outweighed by some huge state-based alumni base).

And just to be clear, people can have whatever expectations they want, and they can be negative when the team sucks. It's the very personal nature of this hate toward some of these people that is weird and perverted. I thought D'Onofrio and Golden should be fired, but I'm not like, in glee at their misfortune. I'm not still talking shit on them after they're gone. As far as I know, Golden is a good man with a family to take care of. It's not a good thing that he's out of a job even if I think it was necessary.

So it's the particularly malicious and spiteful hate these goons have for the people in this program that A) makes me uncomfortable, and B) pisses me off. If you take this shit so personally despite having absolutely no involvement or investment with the team, there is something wrong with you. I'd hate to see how that warped perception manifests itself in other parts of someone's life who acts like that.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Nice win against Duke last night. Corch L teams so fun to watch. Our D is great.

The worst Miami online fan thing is (was?) fans who rooted against the basketball team because they thought basketball success would cover up football failure, or something.

GuyIncognito

Yeah, watching the game while playing Elite. I always feel compelled to disclaim my BB posts with the fact that I don't know much about basketball, but it seems to me we're great at running people off the 3 point line and just generally hounding everyone all game long.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Imagine if any of the shitty SC QBs panned out in the pros or OJ played for anyone but Buffalo.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Another way to look at it might be that the top guys in any draft class usually get drafted by shitty teams and often come nowhere near a Superbowl appearance because they spend their best years toiling for 6-10 teams.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Is that cumulative or unique appearances? Idk if that makes any difference but it'd be interesting to know anyways

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Another way to look at it might be that the top guys in any draft class usually get drafted by shitty teams and often come nowhere near a Superbowl appearance because they spend their best years toiling for 6-10 teams.

Russell Maryland was drafted #1 and Michael Irvin #11 and they got to three Superb Owls.

QBs like Carson Palmer wet the bed in their best chance to reach a Superb Owl.

Craig7835

So has Mark Richt completed his staff yet or is he bringing in his staff from Georgia with the exception of Pruitt?

GuyIncognito

More specifically, bemoans internet fans who have spent the last decade being endlessly negative and nasty toward a program they have no reason to be attached to in the first place.

I don't mind fans that have no connection to the program. Miami is a small school, it's an expensive, private school. We're going to have a much bigger fan base than alumni base. But if you are one of these people and you find yourself spewing nothing but malevolence about everybody and everything all the time, then maybe it's time to wonder why you bother in the first place.

I grew up cheering for the Pittsburgh Penguins (entirely because of NHLPA 93 and NHL 94, and all my friends wanting to be Wayne Gretzky while I wanted to be a contrarian and pick someone else, like the guy who turned Gretzky's number upside down). I have no connection except the video game. But if I ever got to the point where I hated the coaches, hated the players, hated everything about the team, I'd just stop. I wouldn't be trolling their fan boards looking for fights to pick about how much I hated everything. I'd just stop. That's the luxury of having no attachment.

So that's what I think is bizarre and ridiculous: people who have no connection to the program, who started cheering for Miami because of NCAA Football or whatever, talking endless misery and shit about Miami when there is nothing keeping them here in the first place. Go cheer for somebody else then. Go cheer for the school you actually went to, the team you actually played for, any team within a few hundred miles of where you grew up. We'll be straight without your "support."

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I liked the uniforms when I was a kid. Probably saw Lamar Thomas shooting guns on the ramp or something.

The fans that rooted against the basketball program because they thought the AD would never get fired if basketball was successful were the worst. I think that's when I gave up on Canes boards.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I was at the last game in the OB. What a shit show. To lay an egg with the whole town there and all the former players.

UVA fans were going nuts, lol.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I could never find cabs around there after games. Never figured out a good system.

One cabby that I met after a game was a Jets fan and wanted to know if we were Dolphins fans. We weren't. He went on talk about how he and his buddies would go to Jets/Dolphins games and try to start fights. Savage lout.

CJ_24

Tied for first with 5 games to go. Next two games are against UNC and UVA. Could win the regular season 'ship by sweeping those two.