• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
So Leach only scores two TDs against DoNo, that's pretty amazing

UDL7niz.gif

Keith1212

Andreu Swasey will not be retained.

proxy.php

ku-xlarge.gif

giphy.gif

Great way to start the New Year!

I can't wait to see who he brings in now. Awesome stuff.

Keith1212

Swasey couldn't pass an NCAA strength coach certification course which meant that he couldn't work out with the team in the weight room this past season lmao

Keith1212

I don't care. They have a crucial role on a football team.

Miami has been weak on the field for too long.

Andreu Swasey in 15 years never cared to advance his career in any way (certification, continued education, etc). That along with his on field results and the fact that he wasn't even allowed to work out with the team this season because he failed some basic NCAA strength coach course means a ton of Miami fans are happy that he's not being retained.

Lightningwar

Administrator
why do we never hear about NFL strength corches? In college people care far too much about them.

Do they even have them beyond providing a plan? Or do they even do that much? College is different due to mandatory workouts in a structured manner. afaik the NFL is more on the honor system. But it will show up if a guy doesnt workout. And will lose his job worth millions of dollars.

PSUEagle

I don't care. They have a crucial role on a football team.

Miami has been weak on the field for too long.

Andreu Swasey in 15 years never cared to advance his career in any way (certification, continued education, etc). That along with his on field results and the fact that he wasn't even allowed to work out with the team this season because he failed some basic NCAA strength coach course means a ton of Miami fans are happy that he's not being retained.

@GuyIncognito

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
why do we never hear about NFL strength corches? In college people care far too much about them.

@Lightningwar already mentioned that in da League, if you skip workouts and eat like a pig, you'll soon be out of a jerb.

But I also think that for a college strength coach, they are instrumental in taking 18 year old kids (however large and talented though they may be) into hardened 20-23 year old CFB players able to hang with Top 25 level talent.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles

Because NFL fan bases don't congeal on message boards and spin themselves into nonsensical frenzies about who to blame when the team isn't winning.

Swasey put dozens of guys through the combine into the league. NFL players who didn't even go to Miami attend Swasey's offseason program, along with countless alums in the league.

The suggestion that Swasey was somehow responsible for the poor performance of the team lately is so ridiculous that it's hard to even know how to respond.

That's what happens when you have a "fan" base with no connection to the city, university, or program and nothing to do but yap.

GuyIncognito

And yeah, I don't like it. Swasey was a mentor to a lot of people, including me, in addition to getting so many guys mentally and physically prepared for the league. It sucks, but that's life. It's a business, and when you don't win, shit happens.

GuyIncognito

@Lightningwar already mentioned that in da League, if you skip workouts and eat like a pig, you'll soon be out of a jerb.

But I also think that for a college strength coach, they are instrumental in taking 18 year old kids (however large and talented though they may be) into hardened 20-23 year old CFB players able to hang with Top 25 level talent.

Well the key to me is that the NFL doesn't seem to have a problem with Miami guys and their readiness to contribute, so that says all that needs to be said. The amount of physical talent we've cultivated far outstrips the results on the field over the last decade-plus, so that suggests the problem is everywhere BUT the strength program.

But this is a Miami thing. This is how Miami sports fans are. Don't show up to games, don't have any connection to the school or the program. They live half the country away and exist primarily on message boards. Most of them are only fans because they liked using the 01 team on NCAA and don't live near any legit programs to cheer for in the alternative. When Miami wins they're on everybody's dick, and when we lose they want the whole program burned to the ground.

It's like if Call of Duty was a sports team.

Keith1212

Hahaha. Look at him flail around.

Your boy shouldn't have a problem getting a job somewhere else. I mean he's technically not qualified to be a ncaa strength coach anywhere and I'm sure 15+ years of experience in one place with no professional certifications will look horrendous to any prospective employer but he's sure to land somewhere in some capacity.

Maybe all those players will hire him on as a personal trainer.

Anyway I am so glad he's gone! This program finally gets a fresh start. I'm truly excited and looking forward to everything Hurricane related for the first time in a while.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I agree with Mack though about the fixation on a S&C coach. It is clear Al Golden and his staff is why these guys were soft and not the guy who runs them through drills.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
ATHOLETE discussions are the worst @Travis7401

It's clear now what Miami needs is a true TAGG. Take the Waterboy in the Adam Sandler film. "If that guy can set the NCAA sack record, who knows what we can do?"

GuyIncognito

I agree with Mack though about the fixation on a S&C coach. It is clear Al Golden and his staff is why these guys were soft and not the guy who runs them through drills.

Yeah, like I said, just look at the guys Swasey has put in the league. Look at their combine and pro day numbers and tell me the problem is that we're weak or slow.

It's nonsense, and those are the metrics by which you judge a major program S&C program.

Miami has a particularly internet-centered fan base since none of these people went to school there or grew up there, and so it becomes this weird ass echo chamber of nonsense.

How anybody could watch this team play, and watch these guys go onto the NFL (7 draftees off a 6-7 team last year), and conclude the problem is the S&C coach is beyond me.

A) It makes it sound like the S&C coach is way more important than he is to what happens on the field, and B) it flies in the face of every bit of data there is about our guys' readiness for the league.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I can't even name a single s&c corch except swasey because of this thread. They are important but not as important as having great athletes and great x&o guys.

All they do is yell and shit anyway. Someone show that stupid Arkansas lifting video again.

GuyIncognito

I can't even name a single s&c corch except swasey because of this thread. They are important but not as important as having great athletes and great x&o guys.

All they do is yell and shit anyway. Someone show that stupid Arkansas lifting video again.

Yeah, I love people bitching about Swasey's lack of "credentials." Bitch how complicated is it? You need to go to grad school to teach kids how to lift weights?

It's just dumbness.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
To me, we keep having players drafted that were good physically but coached poorly, to me. But I'm just a dumb internet fan that doesn't attend football games anymore (more than zero kids)

I wish for the sake of this debate that Swasey served under a good coach for the first time in forever. But I don't blame Richt for wanting to bring his own dude or go in a different direction.

GuyIncognito

FWIW, I can't name another strength coach either. But being able to bitch about your team's S&C staff makes you sound like you have "inside sources" and like you're a real fan who's in the know.

It's just a bunch of posturing and namedropping.

GuyIncognito

I don't blame Richt either, FWIW, even though I love Swasey and some of these other guys that are getting let go. That's part of the business. It's the shitty part of the business. I just don't like seeing a bunch of goons who think they know shit because they circle jerk on message boards gloat over the misfortune of people I know and care about.

Art Kehoe has 5 rings, put dozens of guys in the NFL, and I gotta listen to a bunch of dew-chugging neckbeards who never ran one sprint gloat over him? Shit's insufferable, and a perfect reflection of what a big portion of the Miami "fan"base is about.

Keith1212

Mak's posts are filled with so much ignorance. It's hilarious seeing him this way. He's so smart in general but when it comes to football and the vocal part of the Miami fan base he is so ignorant and wrong. It's great.

His bit about needing grad school to tell someone to lift weights is just LOL funny because of how ignorant it is as well. I don't think Mak can make a clearer statement showing and proving how ignorant he is when it comes to the field of strength and conditioning and what the head strength coach is responsible for.

The key thing is why would Mak know? It makes perfect sense that he's ignorant of it. He was a part of Cane football that was under coached, poorly managed and thusly underachieved and under performed on the field. All Swasey did was be a buddy and father figure. He also yelled and made people lift weights. So to Mak that's all a strength coach does or needs to do.

Strength and conditioning isn't a field or anything. It can't grow or advance. It's just weight lifting!

Swasey had no degree related to the field, no certification and no strength coaching experience outside of Miami. It's all good to Mak because it's just lifting weights lol

Finally a competent coach gets hired and look what happened. Swasey got the boot. I've been saying for years that that exact thing would happen if the admin would let it.

Anyway I'm done. I'm now looking forward to the rest of the coaching hires and the off season for the first time in a while.

GuyIncognito

The fact that Swaseys program put so many guys in the league is what makes the suggestion that he lacks credentials so ridiculous.

Along with the Internet fan bases fixation on Swasey.

Btw, as for being under achieving, I'm pretty sure I have an Orange Bowl ring on my shelf.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I love you Keith but did you play college football? Two guys here who did are telling you how strength coaches generally just motivate and show proper technique and you act like they are splitting atoms.

Sure, fields advance, but the reason Miami hasnt been good recently is because of the corches on the field and no good qb.

Look at Kentucky. They use the most advanced S&C program in the country. They track players with gps chips and with chips that measure what players eat and drink and how much sleep they get. Sure seems to be helping them a lot.

It just seems weird that you focus so much on the s&c corch. It's like hating on the equipment guy or grounds crew.

GuyIncognito

It just seems weird that you focus so much on the s&c corch. It's like hating on the equipment guy or grounds crew.

I'm telling you, the Miami internet boards have been after Swasey for years. About a decade ago there were a bunch of pieces crediting Swasey with running a great S&C program (speaking of my teammates who were done such a disservice by Swasey, a bunch of them are now at the tail end of illustrious NFL careers).

When things turned bad, and they got REAL bad for a minute, including three separate shootings of our guys including two murders, and the fan base started turning on the program, Swasey ended up in the crosshairs simply because firing Coker, Soldinger, Kehoe, Shannon etc. didn't work. They turned over the entire staff and the team was still losing. The internet fans came to see the players' love of Swasey as proof that he needed to be jettisoned. It became far more of a personal vendetta than anything having to do with the performance of the S&C staff.

Here's what you have to do to assess the S&C coach: go get pro day and combine numbers and figure out whether these guys are ready for the NFL after 3-5 years of S&C. If they're not, if the scouts are complaining that the guys aren't fully developed, if the NFL guys are saying that they still have "college bodies," then you start thinking there's an S&C problem.

To suggest that about Miami is so goddamn dumb I don't know what to do with myself. Our guys have blistered the combine, they've wrecked pro day. Even when the team on the field can't bring it together, guys are excelling in the weight room and getting themselves drafted. Like I said, 7 draftees (including 5 in the first three rounds) last year, off a 6-7 team.

The problem is not and never has been in the weight room. When the weight room is a problem, the proof is obvious, and it's not a bunch of people bitching on message boards.

You don't have dozens of NFL players (many of whom didn't even play at Miami) attending Miami's offseason program because the guy is dangerous and doesn't know what he's doing. These guys are trusting their livelihood to Swasey, and that should tell you a lot more than a bunch of internet whining.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
He prolly wouldn't have guys not from the program training there if he was in Lincoln Nebraska though.

GuyIncognito

Probably not, but the fact remains. These guys could go anywhere. They could certainly find much better facilities in LA or on their own private setup rather than working out at some college (especially one with our facilities). And they damn sure wouldn't be trusting their physical well-being to someone they don't think is competent to take care of them. Because this shit isn't a joke. You can do serious, career-ending damage to yourself in the weight room if nobody knows what they're doing.

Keith1212

Miami sucked for a number of reasons including strength and conditioning. Swasey was the one constant on a number of squads and coaching staffs who got pushed around on the field.

S&C sets the tone for the team. That coach works the team in the offseason and creates the workout plans plus more but nevermind that...

Swasey couldn't even work out with or supervise the team's workouts this past season because he couldn't pass the NCAA's basic strength coach certification exam.

The first competent head coach we've hired in 15 years chose to not retain him. THE END.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I have no problem criticizing a coach but it just seems odd to focus so much on that guy. How do you explain the NFL players he puts out? They are all just genetic freaks and succeed in spite of him?

fsuprime

I have no problem criticizing a coach but it just seems odd to focus so much on that guy. How do you explain the NFL players he puts out? They are all just genetic freaks and succeed in spite of him?
Isn't that what we here about kids from South Florida in general?

Crootin!

GuyIncognito

I like how Keith keeps saying he's done and then keeps coming back when people call out his argument.

See what I mean, Paw? "Swasey was the one constant." Like I said, they've been after Swasey since the Coker days.

Ironically the *other* constant in that time period is that we were still putting people in the league even as the team tanked on the field. I think I saw the other day that Miami has put 93 players in the league since Swasey took over.

GuyIncognito

Isn't that what we here about kids from South Florida in general?

Crootin!

Yeah but if Miami is such a bunch of hyper-athletic freaks that any goon off the street could run our strength program and still produce NFL talent, then what's the logic for making such a big deal out of the strength program in the first place?

There's just no way for this argument to make sense.

GuyIncognito

The players swear by Swasey, the NFL swears by Swasey, the Miami fan boards want him crucified. I know which faction I'm in, even setting aside the fact that I know from personal experience what Swasey is about.

Yeah, James bumped him. But so what? That's the business. Kevin Beard got booted too, amid universal acclaim and widespread understanding that he's at the beginning of a very successful coaching career. Sometimes shit happens. Sometimes the new coach just wants a fresh start. Sometimes he's got his own guys he wants to put in.

The suggestion that being let go by a new head coach is dispositive proof that you're incompetent at your job evinces a severe misunderstanding about how this process works.

Keith1212

Look, I've been following and rooting for the Canes for a long time relatively. I played lower d3 football for a little while and played for a really good coach that really knew his shit and ran a good program but even to the untrained, inexperienced eye, Miami players clearly had an S&C problem when they were in college. Who they really work out with when they become pros or when they're trying to get to the pros is not really what I'm talking about but it is what you keep referring to.

Miami hasn't done shit in college football for over a decade. Part of that failure was the fault of S&C. Through every coaching staff, along with all of the other problems, those teams also got pushed around on the field and weren't as physically developed as the better teams they went up against. Swasey was the one constant. The real eye opener is when you look at the experience and qualifications of the people most schools have at their head strength coach spot and then see how Swasey compared, the results on the field made even more sense. That's all that mattered.

He's gone though and there's no longer a debate in my eyes. I'm glad he's gone and I'm glad Richt is cleaning the slate for the most part. This is shaping up to be the best offseason in a long, long time if you're a Canes fan.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Yeah but if Miami is such a bunch of hyper-athletic freaks that any goon off the street could run our strength program and still produce NFL talent, then what's the logic for making such a big deal out of the strength program in the first place?

There's just no way for this argument to make sense.

The hyper-athletic freaks Miami gets are likely to get into the league regardless of who the S&C corch is. The argument would be in how many average-ish recruits develop into NFL draft picks.

GuyIncognito

The firing of a strength and conditioning coach doesn't usually elicit much response, unless the person has worked with a locker room full of NFL players who still keep in touch.

After completing his 15th season at the University of Miami, Andreu Swasey was told that he will not be retained by new coach Mark Richt.

Swasey, who was hired by the Hurricanes in 2000, has worked with Jimmy Graham, Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, Edgerrin James, Jonathan Vilma and more. Many former Hurricanes have returned to work out with Swasey in the offseason, so they were upset that their old coach was on the way out.

"EJ [James] gave me a holler and that gave me a little low blow,'' Moss said, according to the Miami Herald. "I understand the business, but when it comes down to what he meant to that program, it's a tough loss for a lot of us. I'm for change when it's needed, but we've all been sitting on pins and needles just hoping he'd stay. We hope whoever comes in knows the tradition and what we're all about -- coming back and showing love to the school that basically made us.''

Moss also told the Herald that "if it wasn't for Swasey, our teams would have been way worse than they've been the past few years.''

This isn't the first coaching change Swasey has seen. He lived through the reigns of Butch Davis, Larry Coker, Randy Shannon, Jeff Stoutland, Al Golden and this season's interim coach,
Larry Scott.

Swasey told the newspaper that he understood that Richt might want to bring in his own person, but that didn't make the move any easier for the 44-year-old Miami native, who played at Baylor.

"I've been there a long time," he told the newspaper. "My heart is there. I've done everything with my heart and soul. If I had done something wrong, then I'd understand. I talked to Mark after I met with [AD] Blake [James] in person. He wasn't rude. He said there was nothing I did wrong. My job is to develop young men and help them become better people and that's what I tried to live.''

Moss' brother Sinorice also played at Miami and in the NFL. He told the Herald that he was "still trying to wrap my head around this situation. We understand the business and the politics behind it, but it's a sad time because of all the things Swasey has done for this program. And not just for football, but baseball, track and down the line. The energy he brought -- he bled for that school. Everything he did, he did for the University of Miami. We came back for Swasey.''

http://espn.go.com/college-football...pset-long-strength-coach-andreu-swasey-let-go