• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Well, I like this hire.

Mak, you came across lukewarm but he seems to check your criteria boxes (Miami Guy, good recruiter) and has better odds of landing top coordinators than someone like Mario. He also has a clean rep unlike Butch.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Eh, I'm better than lukewarm. Under the circumstances, I like this hire. I certainly like it a hell of a lot more than Schiano, DickRod, or Charlie Strong. I would have liked Butch more I think, but that could be nostalgia more than anything.

You're right, he checks my boxes. I think he'll lock down recruiting, the players are already excited about hiring a real name, etc.

I don't know that he gets full "Miami guy" status. He hasn't been there for what, 30+ years? But his age means he probably isn't going anywhere anyway.

I wasn't thrilled when his name came up, but the more I look at it the happier I am with it.

GuyIncognito

I'll say what I said in the coaching thread: a half-decent recruiter at Miami is going to field a team that is just flat better than 9-10-11 opponents every year in this shitass conference. If you just recruit well and hire good enough coordinators that you just beat the teams you're better than, there's no reason this team shouldn't be the ACC title game every goddamn year.

9-10 wins a year is good enough for me, and he won 145 games in 15 years in a much tougher spot in Athens.

GuyIncognito

I did see a picture today of Richt when he was a QB at Miami. His competition on the same roster: Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, and Bernie Kosar.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
VL6qBGp.jpg

GuyIncognito

Also, from what I can tell, Richt is just a good guy that everybody seems to like. I know a lot of people could give a shit about that, but I'm weird about that stuff. I have a hard time cheering for even great coaches if I think they're assholes, which is why I was not big on DickRod or Schiano.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah I think Richt is pretty solid for the situation. When Georgia had talent they generally seemed to be a pretty good team but they'd lose a big game to one of the big SEC teams or something, which the ACC has only two teams that could even do it. 9-11 wins per season given a similar talent pool (heck, if not outright better) is fine by me. More importantly he's a known quantity and not a Tier 2 young coach who may or may not work.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Also, from what I can tell, Richt is just a good guy that everybody seems to like. I know a lot of people could give a shit about that, but I'm weird about that stuff. I have a hard time cheering for even great coaches if I think they're assholes, which is why I was not big on DickRod or Schiano.

th

I enjoyed watching DickRod's team implode this season. 11 D1 opponents, 9 of them put up 30+ points. Looked like one of his Michigan seasons.

GuyIncognito

I'm sure keith wanted some trendy hipster X and O guy that nobody heard of, and we're all satisfied with mediocrity by only demanding 9-10 wins a year. And he's pissed that they hired a guy with connections to the program who thus isn't likely to fire every single coach on the staff and start over.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Who did Keith want, anyway?

Things got a little reel between you guys in that other corches thread. I never bothered to go in there until the other day.

GuyIncognito

He just thinks the whole program is toxic and that I'm too blinded by my personal relationships to see it.

He thinks they need to burn the whole thing down and start over.

I think we have a bunch of NFL talent and we're a coordinator or two away from being a very competitive team. I also admit my personal bias (Kehoe and Swasey are still there, and they've since added Kevin Beard, Kareem Brown, and Joel Rodriguez to the staff), but I think good arguments can be made for keeping the rest of the staff. I don't think we're bad at OL, WR, etc. I think we're bad schematically.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think Richt can utilize the talent much better than any of the other proposed options. Yeah Todd Gurley was a once per decade (spitballing here) talent but wasn't Duke Johnson right behind him by certain metrics? I think it's a lot less likely that guys like Ray Ray Armstrong, Olivier Vernon, Sam Shields, Denzel Perryman ETC. look mediocre relative to what they do in the NFL.

GuyIncognito

Keith is definitely on the anti-Swasey train.

Again, I'll admit my personal bias, I love Swasey. But setting that aside, what metrics do you want to use to judge the freakin strength coach? About the only one I can even think of is whether guys have NFL-bodies by combine time, and on that score we do just fine.

The fact that we can't utilize these guys when they're at Miami isn't Swasey's problem. But the success that these guys have in the NFL after leaving Miami is a testament to our S&C program, one that is still utilized by dozens of NFL players every off-season (most of whom never played at Miami).

Trying to pin our mediocrity on the weight room staff is just unsupportable IMO.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
The old pic of Miami qbs makes me want to do a hurricane reenactment dynasty as if schnellenberger never left. The key to that is all the data is online. No microfilm research needed.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The old pic of Miami qbs makes me want to do a hurricane reenactment dynasty as if schnellenberger never left. The key to that is all the data is online. No microfilm research needed.

What about microfiche?

Wooly

He just thinks the whole program is toxic and that I'm too blinded by my personal relationships to see it.

He thinks they need to burn the whole thing down and start over.

I think we have a bunch of NFL talent and we're a coordinator or two away from being a very competitive team. I also admit my personal bias (Kehoe and Swasey are still there, and they've since added Kevin Beard, Kareem Brown, and Joel Rodriguez to the staff), but I think good arguments can be made for keeping the rest of the staff. I don't think we're bad at OL, WR, etc. I think we're bad schematically.
Well then all you needed was Charlie Weiss.

Keith1212

Firstly, I'm on one Miami message board. It's been the same community for damn near 20 years. I've been a part of it for almost as long as I've been here.

The Swasey hate isn't group think. It's our lines and skill players are consistently weak outside of a few players every year-think. Then you look into S&C as a field outside of what one already knows and look at who the other football schools hire at Swasey's position. Thats when intelligence should take over and one may or may not realize that Swasey is most likely a bum. Just compare him to his peers. It's that simple. Just don't be a biased football idiot and you'll see exactly why I think Swasey sucks. You don't have to agree with it but you'll at least understand why. The dude sucks from my view. That's it. He has no degree, no certifications and most importantly he has no S&C experience outside of Miami. He has a father figure status among all the players. I have no doubt he's a great person to be around but nothing about him measures up AT ALL when it comes down to what his job title is.

Anyway, the Richt hire goes against much of what Mak was saying was the case so I'm not sure why he's talking some smug shit right now. Mak was advocating for that garbage can masquerading around as a football coach, Mario Cristobal. Richt has ties to the program but they aren't current ties. He's never coached at Miami before he got hired. He's an outsider as much as he's an insider which makes me very happy. I wanted a good coach that had no real coaching ties with any of the current coaching bums that were at the Hecht during this down period and I got my wish. I'm excited again about the program. It's been a while.

We'll see who gets retained and who doesn't. Richt is supposedly going to run the offense. I'm obviously deeply hoping he brings in a qualified S&C coach and a beast defensive coordinator. We'll see how it goes.

GuyIncognito

Yeah, just compare how many guys Swasey has put in the league to his peers. He needs a raise.

Lol, somebody has changed their attitude about what they want in a coach, but it ain't me. I wasn't over the moon about Richt, but as Rad said, he checks every one of my boxes.

He puts a premium on the program because he played there, he's old enough that he's not going to skip town if he has success, he's a great recruiter, he's been around successful programs enough to not tolerate years on end of a bad coordinator.

Sounds an awful lot like everything on my list.

He checks exactly ZERO of the "We need a hot shot X's and O's guy! CHIP KELLY! JUSTIN FUENTE! HERMAN!!!!!!!" boxes.

He's not young, he's not an innovator, he may or may not call plays himself, he's a Miami guy. In other words, everything you guys were agitating against.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

And of course Richt is a safer hire than Cristobal. Richt wasn't available when Cristobal was being talked about. My support for Cristobal was based on who was available and being considered at the time: Schiano, Chud, Charlie Strong.

Richt has the same upsides as Cristobal and is a much more established coach. Good.

GuyIncognito

Either that or you guys are inexplicably supportive of a hire that fits the criteria I laid out and violates every one of yours. But whatever. Glad to have some of the "fan"base not actively cheering against the program anymore. Until we lose a game, anyway.

Keith1212

I haven't changed shit. I wanted a good or great coach with no ties to the program for the past 15 years [CHECK]

You wanted... Mario Cristobal. Mark Richt is so far above who and what you were advocating for that you have no leg to stand on. Now you're going to sit there and act like Richt validates you and I'm the one that's going against what he wanted? :laughing:

GuyIncognito

I didn't "want" Cristobal, ever. I thought he was better than the other names being thrown around, except for Butch.

Again, I was very explicit about what I wanted and Richt hits every mark. You guys were very explicit about what you wanted and he hits none.

GuyIncognito

But like I said, good. Maybe we'll get a few games into the season this year before the storm of "woe-is-me" bullshit about how awful we are.

GuyIncognito

Well that's kinda my point. If the guy is a good recruiter and understands the program, he can win here. We don't need a bunch of gimmicky crap to do that. We just need some new blood at the top of the org chart, and especially on defense.

Keith1212

Yea I forgot, all the things that make Cristobal awful never occurred or mattered to you so you just cherry picked the few things they have in common. Never mind.

Keith1212

I also never advocated for "gimmicks" (god you're so football stupid) or one of the trendy hires either. All I ever wanted was a good to great football coach with no ties to the program within the last 15 years. I got it.

GuyIncognito

I also never advocated for "gimmicks" (god you're so football stupid) or one of the trendy hires either. All I ever wanted was a good to great football coach with no ties to the program within the last 15 years. I got it.

You wanted "scorched earth," the entire staff fired and a gimmicky "innovation" hire. You got none of it.

GuyIncognito

But again, whatever. You're happy now. Good for this thread, at least until we lose a game next year.

Keith1212

You wanted "scorched earth," the entire staff fired and a gimmicky "innovation" hire. You got none of it.

We'll see how much of the staff is left after the bowl, I never wanted just a gimmicky innovation hire... in fact find where I said that please.

All I really wanted was a qualified, good to great head coach with no ties to the program for the past 15 years. That's it. As far as the staff is concerned, we're in wait and see mode.

If you want to take what I said back in October word for word for argumentative purposes have at it.

Al Golden has been fired. Now the school has to not hire Mario Cristobal or anyone that's been associated with this shitfest program for the past 15 years I'd say. Scorched Earth. Start the program from scratch. Get rid of Coley, Swasey, Kehoe and the rest. Maybe after all of that, Miami can actually compete at a decent level again.

The bold was the most important to me. That's why I said it first. I got what I wanted. I have confidence in Richt. If he let's Swasey stay and doesn't bring in another S&C guy then it is what it is. Some of these bums have to get fired. We'll see who stays and who goes.

GuyIncognito

Hmmm, that's what you bold now, but it wasn't bold then. That next sentence looks an awful lot like what I just accused you of saying and what you rejected having said.

If he's talking to the former players (and he is), I doubt he's going to clean the staff. Hell, he played with Kehoe, who is widely regarded as one of the best OL coaches in the country and has put countless OL in the league. And Swasey's record of putting NFL-ready bodies in the league speaks for itself.

What did you see out of the WR corps this year that says Kevin Beard has to get fired?

So it's just dumbness. Like I said, it evinces a belief that the program itself is toxic and that people should be fired just for being associated with it, without regard for their personal success in their jobs.

GuyIncognito

So it seems to me we have two choices heading into next season:

1. Richt doesn't fire everyone on the entire staff, and the second we lose a game Keith is going to be back in here complaining that the WR coach is why the defense can't stop anybody.

2. Richt does fire everyone on the entire staff, and the second we lose a game Keith will just disappear until the season is over.

PSUEagle

My mind is blown reading Mak's argument right now. Seriously.

All @Keith1212 (and me I guess) have been saying is that Miami has a history of lazy/cheap hires over the last decade. Someone like Cristobal or Chimpo would have been a continuation of that because they have MIAMI TIES and don't cost much. The fact that they were down to Al Golden or Randy fucking Edsall in 2011 is ridiculous.

Richt fell into your laps, but he's a coach with a demonstrated track record of success in the toughest conference in CFB: his resume blows away Coker/Shannon/Golden/Schiano/Cristobal. Christ, that shouldn't even be a question. And really, I doubt he even takes the Miami job if he wasn't give significant resources to get the types of assistant coaches he wants, and that's the other issue that's plagued the program (as Keith continually has pointed out).

GuyIncognito

Nobody said Richt's resume DOESN'T blow away those guys. That was NEVER the point.

The point is that all I ever said is that I wanted a guy with ties to the program, who would be a good recruiter, wouldn't skip town, and would hire new coordinators.

Cristobal would have qualified, and so does Richt.

But you guys (keith specifically) wanted the entire program burned down, and you most decidedly didn't get that.

GuyIncognito

So fine, we never disagreed in the first place according to you. Great. At least until we lose a game and I have to hear more whining about why Andreu Swasey and Art Kehoe are holding the program back because derp.