• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2065 Season Thread

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
You guys realize Kiene has an opt out after year 3 and he'll use it because he'll be 29 and still an amazing CF?

NML

Kiene is fine, but that's REALLY expensive for a guy that doesn't have an elite bat and isn't extremely popular.

But he's really good and in his prime and those guys almost never pop up in FA so I understood his price tag.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think people are acting like Balbuenas and Razors grow on trees. How many 65 rating CF can hit like Kiene? Maybe 4 or 5 at any given time?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Ok, so maybe he is good, not amazing. His bat also has nothing to do with how good a CF he is. Balbuena isn't an amazing CF either.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
It does in the context of comparing his value. Tony has been ranting that Kiene is going to end up DHing in a year for some reason, and other people are flabbergasted because they think Kiene is just a corner OF making 18M. Of course I'm playing him there, but that's because I want Frittata to get reps at CF. Kiene turned 27 last December, even if he doesn't opt out his contract runs out at age 31/32 with the TO. There are very few 80/65/75 OF that can hit anywhere close to 100 WrC+, and Kiene happened to be a FA. Keep in mind someone else thought he was good enough to bid at least 14M per (might've been more, maybe I blew them out) for him. You can't compare Wesley Fonkert's extension or what Wooly was going to extend him at because those are extensions.

If my team was actually good it would've been a great signing, instead everyone hates each other and my team is cursed so he won't do anything special. CF prospects are so fickle though, anyone with 70+ defense you have to hope and pray their bat ratings don't fall off a cliff. Kiene is probably one of the better offensive actual CF in the league. (And he has been positive at CF in the past, just not lights out)

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Tony is overstating it, but he is more of a corner OF than a CF (long term) and I think his point was it will only get worse. His offensive ratings also took a hit.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//...0_positional_strength_overview_positions.html

Outside of Tamburrino, Fonkert, and Balbuena, who is better that can play CF? Flores is a consistent 2 WAR guy. I don't even know who Youp is but he's worse offensively. Razor unfortunately can no longer play the position. Bert maybe?

At worse he's top 5 at CF in the league. And he should get better since he's about to enter his prime? How is 18M an overpay for that?

I mean he's at .8 WAR right now, which is right around the Top 15 total for the NL (not in game so idk for sure). He didn't cost me prospects, just money, which I have a boatload of. I don't see how it's a bad contract for me. Otherwise I'd be sitting on like 45M just watching my budget freefall.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Landeiro actually helps me make my point. If 65/70/65 ratings for Kiene are corner OF, then you're kinda restricting the definition of a good CF to 70+ Defense, of which there are very few guys who can also hit. That isn't to say a guy like Felipe Flores (almost always below 100 wrC+ but great defense) isn't valuable, because of course he is. But in the past twenty years you basically have three guys who have played 70+ CF defense and hit well. Razor, Desi, and Balbuena, (maybe old Bert) and Desi got hurt and had to move off the position. Fonkert might have finally figured it out and Landeiro was on the path (but who knows with the injuries piling up).

So yes if you compare Kiene's deal to three future hall of famers who had better contracts because of extensions vs. FA, it looks worse. He's certainly a step below as a player. But he's also not some 2 WAR defense only guy. I know he's not because basically every CF I've run out there for the entirety of my franchise has been that guy or worse. If he has to move to RF or LF he'd win a gold glove at either spot and still hit around 100 wrC+ in a non toxic clubhouse. This is far from my worst contract (Samuel Jephson, Gil McDonald) given.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
And I'm aware he has no trade value which is probably why people are ragging on the contract anyways. Everyone in this league would pass on someone who slashes .500/.750/.900 for their career line if their contract was over $8M.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Well that's not incorrect, but there are a lot of good defense CF out there who put up positive WAR. There's not that many who put up positive dWAR and positive oWAR.

NML

It also seems really weird that ur telling us how great of a CFer he is, while playing him in RF

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Like I said I wanted Frittata to play there to see if he'd finally learn the position. It isn't really working though

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
And I'm aware he has no trade value which is probably why people are ragging on the contract anyways. Everyone in this league would pass on someone who slashes .500/.750/.900 for their career line if their contract was over $8M.

U dun lost your mind. I gave up five firsts for a guy that's on his way to be a mop up man (but getting paid like a #2/#3 starter) and gave Rad a first for a guy that can't stay on the field and can't hit that's just an ok CFer. If Wooly hadn't asked for about 10 times what he was worth I would have swung a trade for him last season but he wasn't the only piece I needed not to be awful. Now that we're in full on tank mode I don't have a need for him but if I did and had the budget space I'd be interested even though he's like to be a good D-first LF/RF in a season or two with an underwhelming bat.

TonyGin&Juice

I think I might have to fire Otto. Just watched the "Robocop" reboot and if this the non-"Cops" and non-sports garbage I might have to take the team back over.

Wolfman21

that week got us back on track. Just need to keep it going. Starting pitching has been insanely terrible. They can't stay as bad as they've been

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Will be home sometime this afternoon. Will take a look see at the budget. Dunno if you'd want to deal to a rival doe.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
you should try being more like the riggers! Apparently OOTP18 puts even more emphasis on LEADERSHIP

NML

Miami will be in a tough spot if they can't turn it around. No picks and the salaries only go up - $150m currently estimated for two years from now.

Would be pretty amazing to have a team with a higher payroll than budget

Wolfman21

When was the last time Kabul and LV were both out of the playoff spots?

Prolly been a while. Osick has tried his best to keep us down if youd look at our injuries. Still a long way to go. I dont think silva and lousa will be this bad all season

TonyGin&Juice

Miami will be in a tough spot if they can't turn it around. No picks and the salaries only go up - $150m currently estimated for two years from now.

Would be pretty amazing to have a team with a higher payroll than budget

This is the last year of no picks and those future salaries include a number of team options ($10M to Garcia) and ARB estimates (Lejeuene, most of the current relievers) that aren't happening. Besides, there haven't been any potential immediate impact players in the draft recently that aren't either hurt or busts. Joosten, McLain, and Delgado are all getting called up this year and should improve things somewhat.

NML

Still pretty amazing you've already locked up five players for $105m who play a combined zero positions well

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
This is the last year of no picks and those future salaries include a number of team options ($10M to Garcia) and ARB estimates (Lejeuene, most of the current relievers) that aren't happening. Besides, there haven't been any potential immediate impact players in the draft recently that aren't either hurt or busts. Joosten, McLain, and Delgado are all getting called up this year and should improve things somewhat.

In case you weren't aware, you can sign ur Arb players and go over the budget fwiw. Unless the indy devs changed it in 18.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
My team if filled with immediate impact players for the draft recently

Last edited: