• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2023 Season: The Week 9 Thread - Lost

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Interested to see how the full investigation shakes out and everything....

I think it's being a tad overblown but they also wouldn't do it if they didn't feel it would help them win.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
I fully support anything that helps these flyover chud schools stay within 3 td’s of the SEC come playoff time

Last edited:

Lightningwar

Administrator
Is the issue that he bought tickets to games (that are otherwise televised) and decoded what their signals were? Is that it? Isn't that called scouting? What am I missing?
Against the rules to go to opponents games to learn their signals since 1994. This story got a lot more interesting in the last few hours.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Dabo bout to start trying this.

Many rumors of Venables stealing\scouting signs while at Clemson. When they played tOSU the second time tOSU ran their plays in and smoked their defense. One sample size not enough for proof but seems damning to me. Dabo apparently smarter than Harbaugh and didn't have one his analysts buy tickets in his own name to get caught.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Many rumors of Venables stealing signs while at Clemson. When they played tOSU the second time tOSU ran their plays in and smoked their defense. One sample size not enough for proof but seems damning to me. Dabo apparently smarter than Harbaugh and didn't have one his analysts buy tickets in his own name to get caught.

Probably ran it through some church charity/ money laundering scheme.

Lightningwar

Administrator
These coaches that focus on offense to the detriment of the defense fascinate me. Glenn Mason with the Gophers 20 years ago was the same way. Top 5 offense, bottom 5 defense, finish 7-5 because while scoring 45 points a game the defense allowed 38. Lincoln Riley seems to be in the same mold. OU was notorious for offense and a weak defense. He goes to USC and seeing the same results. Go get even an average defense and probably win every game.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
These coaches that focus on offense to the detriment of the defense fascinate me. Glenn Mason with the Gophers 20 years ago was the same way. Top 5 offense, bottom 5 defense, finish 7-5 because while scoring 45 points a game the defense allowed 38. Lincoln Riley seems to be in the same mold. OU was notorious for offense and a weak defense. He goes to USC and seeing the same results. Go get even an average defense and probably win every game.

Nothing fascinating about it. I dislike finesse teams, which is precisely what USC has been since Carroll left. All of Kiffin, Sarkisian, Helton, and now Riley's teams have been flashy offense (or at least attempting it, as with Helton - and sadly, now Riley the last several games) and weak to average at best defenses.

Riley is still young, so maybe he'll get better (i.e. more ruthless) when it comes to his assistants who aren't measuring up, but so far, keeping Grinch when it has been obvious for at least five years going back to his days at OSU that he's a below-averahe DC tells me he values loyalty more than competence.

I think Caleb Williams has mentally checked out because he knows that, no matter how well he and the offense plays, the defense will manage to play just a little bit worse.

The defense is so bad that practically all of their opponents have season-high numbers against them. Utah's offense has struggled much of this year but they scored easily (with a backup QB) on the USC defense. I'm convinced that Whittingham allowed USC to score late in the game but with enough time to let Utah score the game-winning FG. I'm also convinced that if Utah needed a TD to win the game, they'd have gotten that, too. Grinch is just....bad. There's talent galore on the defense if you go by their RIVALZZZZ stars, but they always seem to be out of position, make inopportune penalties, and consistently give up 3rd and longs.

bruin

Tbh, I just don’t see the talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially up front. Besides Alexander, who do they got ? I don’t see no Shaun Cody’s, Keneche Udeze’s Matt Grootegoeds, etc. they’re extremely small at the LB position and soft in the secondary. Blame Grinch all you want but it’s definitely going to take more than a new DC.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Nothing fascinating about it. I dislike finesse teams, which is precisely what USC has been since Carroll left. All of Kiffin, Sarkisian, Helton, and now Riley's teams have been flashy offense (or at least attempting it, as with Helton - and sadly, now Riley the last several games) and weak to average at best defenses.

Riley is still young, so maybe he'll get better (i.e. more ruthless) when it comes to his assistants who aren't measuring up, but so far, keeping Grinch when it has been obvious for at least five years going back to his days at OSU that he's a below-averahe DC tells me he values loyalty more than competence.

I think Caleb Williams has mentally checked out because he knows that, no matter how well he and the offense plays, the defense will manage to play just a little bit worse.

The defense is so bad that practically all of their opponents have season-high numbers against them. Utah's offense has struggled much of this year but they scored easily (with a backup QB) on the USC defense. I'm convinced that Whittingham allowed USC to score late in the game but with enough time to let Utah score the game-winning FG. I'm also convinced that if Utah needed a TD to win the game, they'd have gotten that, too. Grinch is just....bad. There's talent galore on the defense if you go by their RIVALZZZZ stars, but they always seem to be out of position, make inopportune penalties, and consistently give up 3rd and longs.

Need to be HARD NOSED

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Tbh, I just don’t see the talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially up front. Besides Alexander, who do they got ? I don’t see no Shaun Cody’s, Keneche Udeze’s Matt Grootegoeds, etc. they’re extremely small at the LB position and soft in the secondary. Blame Grinch all you want but it’s definitely going to take more than a new DC.

Funny you mention Matt Grootegoed - he was exactly what you'd call the "scrappy, high football IQ, undersized" player who nevertheless always seemed to be in position and always seemed to make good plays. No NFL teams were drooling over him, and he never even got drafted. But he was the sort of player that, under competent defensive coaching, was a very effective player.

I feel like this frosh kid, Tackett Curtis, is in that same mold - a guy who was a highlight reel machine in HS, and could, with the right coaching, become an effective college player. Unfortunately, he is not getting good coaching, and it shows. Raesjon Davis is less spectacular but at least he makes plays, but regardless of talent level, the defense as a whole is worse than they should be because Grinch sucks ass. It's practically the same story as last year - virtually every opponent's offense has an excellent outing when they play USC, even offenses that weren't wowing anyone and which had hitherto struggled. Have offensive woes? Play USC and you'll instantly feel better!

bruin

Lincoln Riley has missed back to back practices due to health issues.

f12a2f1ec47f.jpg

Lightningwar

Administrator
With the supposed paper trail this dope from Michigan left I feel this is an accurate representation about how it went down. Also expect another team to get smacked down for this, probably Boise State will lose 10 scholarships. We haven't heard much about them lately.