• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2023 Season: The Week 10 Thread - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Mame YO

slings rocks
It was some combination of recruiting doesn’t matter and that Oregon’s performance has been inverse to its recruiting.

If Oregon has had some of their best recruiting in recent years while also winning half of available titles and winning the most conference games that doesn’t seem like an inverse relationship to me to me.

Mame YO

slings rocks
In any case, you need to look at Oregon’s CURRENT roster and tell me that recruiting isn’t already having a massive impact. Oregon was able to replace a generational offensive line from last year with reasonable success because CROOTS CLICK.

Brick

oregon has finished unranked 4 of the 7 seasons since helfrich left and 15, 22. outside of herbert's last season, who is generational and not part of CROOT ERA they have not been remarkable in any
way. what have been their crootin rankings in that span.

Mame YO

slings rocks
What are we comparing them to? Earlier you were comparing Deboer to Lanning. Is UW the comparison?

Mame YO

slings rocks
Like, the 2021 season is an interesting example. The ducks lost to Utah x2 and Stanford in OT. Also beat both rivals and Ohio State. How do you judge that season? Complete failure? Seems like you’re saying yes.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Don’t get me wrong it was a frustrating season but there is a bit of nuance there too.

Last year was another interesting example. Lost to Georgia and then lost to UW and OSU by a combined 7 points. Could’ve easily been a 1 loss playoff team if Nix doesn’t get hurt vs UW.

Brick

Like, the 2021 season is an interesting example. The ducks lost to Utah x2 and Stanford in OT. Also beat both rivals and Ohio State. How do you judge that season? Complete failure? Seems like you’re saying yes.
they went 7 seasons in a row finishing 11th or better in the AP poll before these bums coaches. did they try winning?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Absolutely crazy that our fan base was eager to get Lincoln Riley and had to settle for Brian Kelly, when ultimately we’re fielding practically identical teams in Year 2. I’m not sure which coaching hire from that cycle is performing any better also, Napier is struggling at UF so far.

I think all Trojans fans' ire is squarely directed at Alex Grinch and his horrendous defense. I seriously cannot recall a worse defense at USC, and I've seen the defenses of (old and outmoded) Monte Kiffin, Clancy Pendergast, and Todd Orlando. I recall one year under Pete Carroll they had some jumped-up grad assistant by the name of Rocky Seto who was who woefully unqualified for the jerb, and that defense was pretty bad, with players openly displaying their lack of respect for their DC by deliberately getting 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalties, but the foundation laid by Carroll was still there and the defense, while bad by the standards of Pete Carroll, wasn't "We allow a touchdown every possession" kind of bad.

I was excited for Riley not just for the obvious reasons of his record at OU, but because of his youth and what I feel is his ability to grow into the job, become better, and possibly stay at SC for 15+ years like a McKay. I didn't want some 50+ year old who might only stay for 5 or so years before pining for the NFL. I kind of felt similar when young-ish Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian became SC's coach. They flamed out before reaching any sustained success here, but I think, a decade-plus forward, they've both become solid head coaches with more maturity and experience under their belts. I believe the same will happen with Riley, once he becomes more willing to cut loose underperforming assistants.

However, because USC's fan expectations have apparently upset him, (strange coming from a place like Norman, OK) it might be that Riley bolts for the NFL anyway, and leaves Grinch as the interim head coach!

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Hire people who can coordinate, not your friends/former players(Aaron Henry gets a pass it's his first year).

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Hire people who can coordinate, not your friends/former players(Aaron Henry gets a pass it's his first year).

Well, I think coaches are even more nepotism-prone than managers in other industries, because I think the fraternity of men who are willing to live an essentially nomadic, itinerant lifestyle as a coach is relatively small.

There's comfort in hiring a guy you know and feel comfortable working with than an unknown who might 1)bolt for another job at the first opportunity, or 2)look to replace YOU as the head guy.

Brick

they should have fired him last week but this setting up the perfect recipe for BACK FOOT BO and the squad to lay an egg. they peaked the last 2 weeks and malice the most pressuh they under now. usc gonna play free an easy
1699227625024.png

Brick

we need revisionist USC blog bingo

mention about current qb being the least athletic since van raaphorst
"its just like the hackett era"
carroll hard nose
comparing corch to john robinson

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
we need revisionist USC blog bingo

mention about current qb being the least athletic since van raaphorst
"its just like the hackett era"
carroll hard nose
comparing corch to john robinson

1. I think we could time a footrace between Mike Van Raaphorst and Cody Kessler with a sundial.
2. Helton era was worse because it was twice as long (felt like 10 times as long). Hacket era was mercifully over in 3 years.
3. Carroll crooked broken nose
4. John Robinson was a Duck. So was John McKay. Hmmmmmmm