• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 Womens World Cup

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Friendship with WNT ended
Now MNT playing Caribbean scrub teams is my best friend

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Despite the fact that the women's game moves at an appreciably slower pace, our team is still frustratingly over anxious. 15 yards of space and taking a 25 yard shot instead of working it to the 18.

Just so much panicking. I don't get it. I expect this from random scrub teams in the Gold Cup that play like, 3 games a year together, but not here.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Is it just me, or do Morgan and Rapinoe look pretty bad right now? Morgan is getting pushed around up front, and Rapinoe just looks a bit slow. I would like to see Heath against the fullback on that side.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Our insistence on these long balls is also fucking stupid. We can basically walk it into their box. WTF is with this? Bruce Arena doing our tactical plan?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, @kella is right. They keep getting in great positions and making horrible decisions. Can't tell if it's panic or if Spain have just kicked them so much they're just off their game. Haven't made one right decision in the final 3rd in about 30 minutes.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
wow that was a blatant dive lol

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That was straight out of the Neymar playbook.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Have we possessed the ball in the middle 3rd of the field for more than 45 seconds combined all game? Part of that I'm sure is intentional from Spain. They're totally outmatched athletically and in doing this they make the boundary defend for them.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Struggling to find something good about that game besides winning.

Ellis needs to get her head out of her ass, though. Saving all 3 subs until the 85th minute was insane.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
WNT continue to play same, old players. It's either on Ellis or the marketing team. Sauerbrunn is BAD.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Have you watched more than 0 minutes

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It's a bit of a HOT TAKE because the only player that is possibly kept on the team because of marketing is Rapinoe. Sauerbrunn is also old, but there's no way she's on the team because of marketing. Rapinoe hasn't looked great all tournament, to be fair. Sauerbrunn has been fine. Yeah, she had a bad mistake against Spain, but that was also on Naeher. And she's been pretty much faultless besides that.

Morgan was bad yesterday, too, but I think she's still hurt. She wasn't making effective runs in behind, nor was she getting on the ends of crosses. The way we played yesterday didn't really help. We weren't trying to build up play in the center at all, so Morgan wasn't getting any touches.

I think it would be better to sub Rapinoe off earlier in each game and get fresher legs to run at people. I'm fine with her starting if that's what happens.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Agreed on Rapinoe (though in hindsight, she did hit an unsaveable penalty), and to me it seems to me like a halftime sub of Morgan for McDonald would have worked well too. As noted (by me, among others I'm sure), Spain was forcing the entire game to the flanks. Also, alternatively, I would have also been tempted to drop Ernst back to CB, swap Lloyd for Morgan, and go with a 3 man backline to get Dunn defending less.

I don't think it's a hot take. I think younger players subbed in earlier, with maybe a sub saved to bring Lloyd on to close it out would make a lot of sense.

Tactically it was like Spain made one change after our initial offensive flurries and we just didn't adjust. I was having flashbacks to our 2006 MNT where Arena was just having us hoof endless longballs to McBride.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Speaking of long balls, what is with this? Long balls seem to be a staple of pretty much every team in this tournament except the teams that physically cannot even play it long (Thailand), other than Spain, but nobody seems particularly any good at it. There was one scored in the Italy/Brazil game but it seemed more like fuckshit than 2011 Alex Song to Van Persie stuff. 99% of the passes are horribly overhit or underhit, and the players being asked to chase them down aren't especially speedy (in comparison to the other players - not men).

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
What a goal from Martens. The Dutch look like they'd drop us like a bad habit. Yikes.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
For now. Hearing how all these serious players are playing in Europe, even most of the Canadians has me nervous. NWSL about to look like MLS in a few years I think.

evil1

Speaking of long balls, what is with this? Long balls seem to be a staple of pretty much every team in this tournament except the teams that physically cannot even play it long (Thailand), other than Spain, but nobody seems particularly any good at it. There was one scored in the Italy/Brazil game but it seemed more like fuckshit than 2011 Alex Song to Van Persie stuff. 99% of the passes are horribly overhit or underhit, and the players being asked to chase them down aren't especially speedy (in comparison to the other players - not men).

Longball_ps2ef4kx.gif

doh

It's a bit of a HOT TAKE because the only player that is possibly kept on the team because of marketing is Rapinoe. Sauerbrunn is also old, but there's no way she's on the team because of marketing. Rapinoe hasn't looked great all tournament, to be fair. Sauerbrunn has been fine. Yeah, she had a bad mistake against Spain, but that was also on Naeher. And she's been pretty much faultless besides that.

Morgan was bad yesterday, too, but I think she's still hurt. She wasn't making effective runs in behind, nor was she getting on the ends of crosses. The way we played yesterday didn't really help. We weren't trying to build up play in the center at all, so Morgan wasn't getting any touches.

I think it would be better to sub Rapinoe off earlier in each game and get fresher legs to run at people. I'm fine with her starting if that's what happens.
It's bigger than the tournament. They've been playing the same players for four years. Part of that is on the NT full-time contracts so you can't really try out new players.

We will see what happens against France but the team just looks like they're getting old and the rest of the world is getting leaps and bounds better.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It's bigger than the tournament. They've been playing the same players for four years. Part of that is on the NT full-time contracts so you can't really try out new players.

We will see what happens against France but the team just looks like they're getting old and the rest of the world is getting leaps and bounds better.

The only starters that are holdovers from the 2015 final are Sauerbrunn, Rapinoe, Heath, and Morgan. The entire central midfield and 3/4 of the backline are different than 4 years ago. Sure, the player pool can be ossified, but it's not stopping players like Lavelle breaking in.

Yeah, Rapinoe looked old and slow against Spain. Morgan looked slow, too. It was also 90 degrees and Ellis had them playing 85+ minutes for whatever reason. I'm really struggling to see anyone besides Rapinoe that should obviously be on the bench (except for Dunn, but that whole left back situation is weird).

They dominated every game except Spain. Even then, Spain wasn't creating much, and the US looked much more dangerous on the attack. xG has the US giving up less than a goal this tournament, while scoring 14.

But yeah, MARKETING is the reason all of these old, slow players are starting.

doh

I mean it's a bit more than 4 players: Ertz was a starter. O'Hara was a half starter (with Krieger who for some reason is on the team after not playing for years).

The next match will be pretty telling if they rotate at all.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
No changes:

Think I might owe @doh an apology. No Horan, no change up top seems crazy to me. Hopefully Ellis at least uses her subs earlier this time around.