• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 MLB Thread

atlbraves

Appel is a fucking headcase. I hated that pick then as much as I hate it now. Bryant was clearly the guy at 1-1 that year but I think there was some hesitation on the organization's part to skip a potential TOR arm two drafts in a row. He has good pure stuff but his fastball has 0 movement and was getting hit around pretty well at the MiLB level, not to mention constant control issues. I dont think hes got TOR ceiling anymore. Id probably call his ceiling around a Jason Marquis level. Dude you know should have stuff to dominate but never puts it together.

As far as Velasquez goes.. The dude has tremendous stuff, better than Appel IMO. If he can keep the walks down, he can be a very good pitcher. There is apparently some questions on his shoulder, which was the rumored reason why Derek Fisher got bumped out of the trade for Appel. The rest of the trade is filler, honestly.

My thought was why not run Appel out there as a late-inning guy and see if he sticks? He might get pigeonholed as a reliever (or just suck) but they were ready to punt on him anyway. Of course, Velazquez would be even better in that role. I'd be way more hesitant to put him there because of his upside as a starter, but he could be a wipeout guy in the late innings right now.

It's not like they bought low on a closer either, right? I guess it beats giving Darren O'Day a 4-year deal, but I don't see why they couldn't wait until midseason to make a deal like they did.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
My thought was why not run Appel out there as a late-inning guy and see if he sticks? He might get pigeonholed as a reliever (or just suck) but they were ready to punt on him anyway. Of course, Velazquez would be even better in that role. I'd be way more hesitant to put him there because of his upside as a starter, but he could be a wipeout guy in the late innings right now.

It's not like they bought low on a closer either, right? I guess it beats giving Darren O'Day a 4-year deal, but I don't see why they couldn't wait until midseason to make a deal like they did.

Astros gave up two major leaguers and three prospects for a guy who was projected to be the Astros closer but now can't get anybody out.

It's nice not having a potted plant as the Phils GM anymore.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

It wasnt necessarily a punt on him. He wasnt actually included in the original deal. It was a pretty big shock that he got dealt honestly. I dunno. We will see what the future holds for him and maybe a change of scenery will do him good. Truth of the matter is the Astros probably have 1-2 guys in the minors who are better than Appel/Velasquez (Musgrove @osick87) and they felt getting that big BP arm is worth the cost.

This deal probably doesnt happen last year if Andrew Miller signs with Houston for more money than what he got offered by NYY. Totally see why hed select Yankees over Houston tho. I think the team got themselves stuck in a mode of "WE HAVE TO GRAB A POWER ARM" and Im not sure there was one available in FA. If they are going to overspend, at least they went out and got the guy who throws high 90s and has 5 years of club control left. Better than getting Kimbrel.

atlbraves

Braves' lineup tonight had 5/9 hitting below the mendoza line on the season :laughing:

39077.jpg

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
At some point, Ryan Howard's name will be removed from the clean-up spot.

.177/.274/.371 slash line ain't gonna get it done.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I hope MLB takes him up on this and the umps get the soccer ref spray and line the field if guys start shading too far.

Wolfman21

Have yourself a road trip mallex smith. Might move enciarte to left field if he continues playing like this. 8-14 on the road trip

Soonerfan09

Have yourself a road trip mallex smith. Might move enciarte to left field if he continues playing like this. 8-14 on the road trip
Does he have a better arm than Inciarte? I've only been able to see about 3 games so far this year and that was before he was called up.