• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 MINSHEW

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Maybe I'm getting old and jaded but I honestly don't care at all about the Kaepernick "issue". We have more important things to worry about than whether or not some professional athlete stands or sits during the anthem. Get back to work everyone!

I'm not saying the issue of police brutality or oppression isn't important. It is. I just don't see how Kaepernick's actions are relevant. Is there anyone in this country that's going to respond:

"Why's Kaepernick sitting down during the anthem?"

"He's protesting the systematic oppression of minorities in the United States."

"Well, goldarned. Nobody told me. Thanks, Kaepernick. Let's get busy and fix this right now!"

"Is there anyone that's going to respond to a guy wearing a black glove on an Olympic podium?"

I don't know dude. Do we ever know how someone is going to respond? Can we really say that unless we identify some immediate correction of the problem that symbolic gestures aren't worth making?

Maybe he doesn't change anyone's mind. Maybe he changes some kid's entire outlook on shit.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't think getting old has anything to do with it. All the outrage is from old white men.

worst2first

"Is there anyone that's going to respond to a guy wearing a black glove on an Olympic podium?"

I don't know dude. Do we ever know how someone is going to respond? Can we really say that unless we identify some immediate correction of the problem that symbolic gestures aren't worth making?

Maybe he doesn't change anyone's mind. Maybe he changes some kid's entire outlook on shit.

I find it mind-bottling that this would be the act that makes someone finally aware that there is a problem.

I also find the comparison of Kaepernick to Tommie Smith and John Carlos laughable. Kaepernick has been subject to some angry tweets and Facebook posts and criticism from right-wing media outlets. What a sacrifice. Such bravery!

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Why would that be so hard to believe? He's getting beaten out by Blabbert.

b/c thats just silly to me that the ONLY possible reason he is doing this is b/c he is in jeopardy of losing his starting spot

i mean, hasnt this ordeal with the niners been going on since Harbaugh left

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I don't know if he is serious or not, but I just don't think it is so outlandish to think that it might be some sort of built in excuse for his own ego for when he is jobless. Oh well nobody will sign me. Now I am a martyr for muh beliefs.

Reel

Community Liaison
until something comes out that's his motivation, im inclined to believe he is just simply tired of doing/saying nothing and is using whatever platform he has left to bring attention to it

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
IIRC, Kaep participates in a lot of good causes and charities off the field. I don't think this is some dumb power play.

The anthem is fucking dumb anyway. I leave my hat on and sit through it while I'm on my phone when it plays. God Bless America is doubly stupid. I try to time relieving my bladder at exactly the moment it starts.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
4g1Dvmf.jpg

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
b/c thats just silly to me that the ONLY possible reason he is doing this is b/c he is in jeopardy of losing his starting spot

i mean, hasnt this ordeal with the niners been going on since Harbaugh left

Hasn't the Black Lives Matter movement been going on for 3 years? Why is he now deciding to take a stand? The Niners were good and Kaep was a stud back then; I guess he didn't have time for social issues.

Look, reel......I hope Kaep is 100% genuine and that this has nothing to do with football. I really do. I think it'd be great if he was actually passionate about making a difference, and invested time and money to do so. But I agree with @worst2first , he's not uncovering a hidden societal issue. Black Lives Matter, police brutality, etc. have been front page news for quite awhile. He's well within his rights to not stand for the anthem. I couldn't care less, honestly. I'm not offended that he didn't. I just don't think Kaep needs to be championed as civil rights activist for that. To me, it smells like an attention grab, to me. If he goes further and puts actual effort in bringing change, then standingovation.gif for him. Seriously.

Reel

Community Liaison
So he has to have been at the start of the movement to have genuine feelings about it now?

Is that what this conversation has been reduced to? "Walking up" or "being woke" happens at different stages for everyone but that shouldn't take away from his pov. Should he have waited for even more people of color to get shot by police to say something then?

Cmon Trojan, your remark is really close to "but what about black on black crime" territory.

worst2first

So he has to have been at the start of the movement to have genuine feelings about it now?

Is that what this conversation has been reduced to? "Walking up" or "being woke" happens at different stages for everyone but that shouldn't take away from his pov. Should he have waited for even more people of color to get shot by police to say something then?

Cmon Trojan, your remark is really close to "but what about black on black crime" territory.

No, it isn't. Trojan wasn't disparaging the movement or questioning its validity.

Reel

Community Liaison
No, it isn't. Trojan wasn't disparaging the movement or questioning its validity.

his questioning Kaep's true intent bothers me to the extent that he is dismissing it as disingenuous because he is "all of a sudden" doing this

CJ_24

I'm a little surprised to see worst's position on this issue. He has not taken the stance I would have expected.

Bdub

According to Rodney Harrison Kaep isn't even black and doesn't know what it's like to be black.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Wasn't Kaep sitting for the anthem for three games before it was noticed? The fact that he was doing it before it was noticed and not attempting to bring it to anyone's attention should be an indication of motives.

I don't know, was he? If so, it could indicate two things: (1) he's not doing it for the attention, or (2) he sucks at trying to draw attention to an issue he feels strongly about. :laughing:

Reel, let me clear about one thing: I have NO IDEA what Kaep's intentions/motives are. I don't know the guy personally. I think it's convenient that he's suddenly all over the sports headlines after being relegated to the bench....and possibly the unemployment line. Would it surprise me if this was, at least in part, a PR stunt? No. Am I saying it is? No. Again, I can't possibly know his motives.

But as I've already said multiple times -- for the sake of argument, assume he has genuine interest in making things better and his protest is legitimate -- what does not standing for the anthem accomplish? Everybody with a pulse and access to a TV, smart phone, newspaper, or radio knows what BLM is. I can't imagine he's opened the eyes of a bunch of Americans who had no idea this was a problem before last weekend.

And if we want to go further down this rabbit hole --- he says he can't support that flag while this is going on. His helmet has a flag on the back. Will he refuse to go into the game when his number is called? Is it hypocritical if he does put his helmet on? [<--this is a superficial troll question; you don't actually need to answer it. But it's food for thought.....]

At worst, this is an attention grab. At best, he's being 100% honest......but hasn't actually done anything to help correct the problem. If he wants to make a difference, then figure out how to get involved for real, and invest some actual time and money in working towards a solution.

.......and on the opposite side, the people who are furious about this can STFU too. He's well within his rights to not stand for the anthem. Who cares? The gesture rings somewhat hollow to me, because so far, he's the guy who bitches about something without offering a solution. But that doesn't mean he can't do it. Sit, stand, take a nap, dance.....do whatever. Just don't act like a civil rights activist unless you actually want to be one.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Without 100% certainty that he doesn't do anything already, how can you dart he wasn't already involved?

If he is/was, I will happily retract any cynical comments. I have nothing against Kaep. Whether or not you believe me, I really do hope he's taken this cause to heart and is going to do something to help bring about change. It's an issue that's horrible for society --- not just for the victims and their families, but also because it reinforces racial boundaries. He's got a very public profile, so hopefully he can find a way to leverage that into effecting change.

But again, if not standing for the anthem is his entire plan......then it's an attention grab.

Lloyd Carr

Man, if you don't sit down somewhere after all that caping you were doing for Brady during deflate gate.

You most certainly gave a shit then

Well, Brady is a relevant NFL player. The only reason I know Kaep is still on a team is because of this.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't think every political statement needs to make some huge breakthrough. Why does his action have to accomplish something? Why can't it just simply say something?

worst2first

I don't even know exactly what that means but I'm sitting here cringing just thinking about how bad Bridgewater's injury must have been.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The issue isn't black and white (ostrich.youtube) and it's entirely possible the motivation was a percentage of both speaking for the cause and personal publicity. What percentage doesn't really matter, he's not a total saint and he's not a total selfish money grabber.

DHawkeye

only mostly dead
"I really want X politician to win the election, but why vote? What difference is it going to make?"

"I really want to support this charity to raise money for cancer research, but why bother? What's a few extra bucks going to matter?"

"I really want so-and-so to happen, but I'm just some dumb schlub nobody cares about, so why even try?"

Fuck, and I thought I was a nihilistic asshole.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
It sounds like it was a Tibiofemoral dislocation and they had to act quickly because the nerves weren't connected. Also don't google that if you want to keep your lunch.

evil1

I don't even know exactly what that means but I'm sitting here cringing just thinking about how bad Bridgewater's injury must have been.

Not only did his ACL get ripped to shreds, but his leg bones got thrown out of position where they are supposed to meet at the knee. The danger there is that blood vessels or nerves could have been damaged along with the ACL. Apparently (and hopefully this holds up) Teddy got lucky in that there wasn't any additional damage.

jdlikewhoa

Reel e. bummed about this Bridgewater injury. I have a dynamic rookie Treadwell MUT card that will have his Madden stats increase based on his real life stats. Who is the back up, fuckin top 10 pick FSU legend Christian Ponder? Is the other top 10 pick FSU legend EJ Manuel available?
Probably. Every M17 franchise I've started this year has him starting on the trading block. @Reel

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

It sounds like it was a Tibiofemoral dislocation and they had to act quickly because the nerves weren't connected. Also don't google that if you want to keep your lunch.

Not only did his ACL get ripped to shreds, but his leg bones got thrown out of position where they are supposed to meet at the knee. The danger there is that blood vessels or nerves could have been damaged along with the ACL. Apparently (and hopefully this holds up) Teddy got lucky in that there wasn't any additional damage.

:vomit: