• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SMALL BALLERS GON LOOK 2018 FIFA World Cup

Wooly

153 goals scored so far. Not a low scoring World Cup at all. Record was Brazil tied with France 98 with 171.
When was the format changed though. There are more teams and games now right?

Historic graph of goals per game is what we need. With and without penalty kicks.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
When was the format changed though. There are more teams and games now right?

Historic graph of goals per game is what we need. With and without penalty kicks.

Can't really believe we have to go through this, as it's pretty obvious it's not a low scoring World Cup - It stands at 2.6 goals per game at this moment in time - https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/

France '98 was the expansion to 32 teams, so it's since then we have the comparisons (more goals in general at early World Cups). Since '98 only France '98 and Brazil '14 have a higher average at 2.7 goals per game.

For the modern era it's a high scoring World Cup, and since the 70s, higher than average - https://www.fifa.com/fifa-tournaments/statistics-and-records/worldcup/index.html

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
For me this is a great World Cup for me. The draw has been unbalanced, producing more marquee games than usual, which have also been high scoring. The group stages were also fascinating, where big teams faced clutch third games in more cases than in most tournaments. I think this has been because of a drop in form from Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain, who would traditionally dominate, and produce highly unsurprising late stage knockout games. However, that gap in quality has been more than filled by an extremely exciting Belgian side, one of the best France teams I've ever seen, and England making an almost Germanic run. Add to boot, a drug fuelled Russia, that made sure the hosts weren't flops.

The quarter finals only had two previous winners involved, which adds to the excitement of maybe having a new World Champion (or in England's case one that hasn't won for a very long time). I'm often just trolling when I say shit like this, but this time I really mean it when I say that you can't watch much soccer or be a true soccer fan if you're not finding this a great World Cup.

bruin

My favorite part about @doh asking if this is even a decent World Cup is Mbappe being the only player who has had a great performance. It was only second the game of the tournament when Ronaldo put 3 in to carry Portugal and get a crucial point against favorites Spain.

At the time being, that was an unbelievable match. You could argue that’s not even a top 5 match of the tournament now.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
My favorite part about @doh asking if this is even a decent World Cup is Mbappe being the only player who has had a great performance. It was only second the game of the tournament when Ronaldo put 3 in to carry Portugal and get a crucial point against favorites Spain.

At the time being, that was an unbelievable match. You could argue that’s not even a top 5 match of the tournament now.
I was talking about a great tournament not individual match. Scoring a hat trick in a totally inconsequential group stage match doesn't mean an all-time tournament performance.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Well by that logic you can't really say this tournament is bad if the most consequential games haven't even been played yet

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
England is basically Boise State. Decent team, but they can and should be getting questions on their SOS. France-Belgium is the SECCG

worst2first

36805445_10216365176030993_8121415979981864960_n.jpg

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
England is basically Boise State. Decent team, but they can and should be getting questions on their SOS. France-Belgium is the SECCG

So you're saying we should be rooting for the meteor to hit Leningrad on Tuesday?

Serious, though - this has been a very compelling WC for me. doh be smoking.

Sure, there have been very dull matches (Sweden-Switzerland was like watching two average AYSO sides play kickball for 90 minutes), but there have been some truly awesome matches, too.

Perhaps part of it was that I was in Spain for a good portion of the group stages and Round of 16 matches.

Belgium looked terrific in their games. I found it almost comical how large the Belgium players were compared to the Japanese and the Brazilians. :laughing: I always felt that soccer, unlike most sports popular in North America, was a sport where physical size wasn't quite so big a factor, but seeing a guy as big (and skilled) as Lukaku was a treat to see.

Depending on how the France - Belgium semifinal goes, it might make the path easier for England, if France-Belgium winds up in a 120-minute PK shootout like Croatia had to endure.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Beaten one team in top 15 ELO rankings and they weren't with with their best player... easy as hell path.
You are coming to complain that it was chalk and then that one team had an easy path? These both can’t be true.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I love the timing of the UK's government falling apart while England are in the semi finals. Nice timing. Props to whatever reporter asks an England player about hard vs. soft Brexit.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Won our office pool today. I’ll also win the knockout pool if Belgium and England advance to the final, or if England beats France

ebarws6

stAy
belgium really need to get the ball to kdb's feet more, seems that every time he's had the ball he's created something

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Giroud is just eternally a half touch away from getting a good look. It's too bad France can't get him more touches.