• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018-2019 Prem / Farewell Stoke Threade - who ate all the pies?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
City, Liverpool also not great.

Only team playing really well is Spurs. Chelsea are doing as you'd expect them to do.

The rest of the Out-lying teams: Everton, West Ham, Stoke etc turrible

City isn't worse than they were last season.
Liverpool is better than they were last season.
Spurs are better than last season.
Chelsea are significantly better than last season.
Man United are better than last season.
Everton are WAY better than last season.

I mean, you opened up this dialogue by insinuating that the top 6 are worse this season than last. While being incorrect in just about every measure (including the beloved eye test), you double down with continued analysis of other clubs. (Seriously, who would say that Everton have been turrible this year? Especially when compared to last year!)

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
In looking back at the PL tables, it looks like the 2013-2014 season was a fun one. That was before I started really following the league. Was it as fun as it looked on paper?

-YTC

NML

I enjoyed it a lot until about match day 36

gerrard-slip.gif

chibob

City isn't worse than they were last season.
Liverpool is better than they were last season.
Spurs are better than last season.
Chelsea are significantly better than last season.
Man United are better than last season.
Everton are WAY better than last season.

I mean, you opened up this dialogue by insinuating that the top 6 are worse this season than last. While being incorrect in just about every measure (including the beloved eye test), you double down with continued analysis of other clubs. (Seriously, who would say that Everton have been turrible this year? Especially when compared to last year!)

-YTC

Everton fans mostly.

NML

Who the hell did Everton fans think they'd finish in front of that's in the top 6?

:england:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
In looking back at the PL tables, it looks like the 2013-2014 season was a fun one. That was before I started really following the league. Was it as fun as it looked on paper?

-YTC

This is all that matters really. It's not about performance really, but about how entertaining the league is. I will 100% maintain that the league as a whole was more entertaining 20 years ago, not because Arsenal were better, but because teams were playing more attacking football.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I think also, people are missing a fundamental point that outside of league and champions league positions, it's completely fucking subjective as to how "good" the quality of football is. Even then it's still completely subjective, as as @chibob says, stats don't really show how comparatively good teams are. The only way we could tell is to play previous years teams against this years teams, and as physics don't allow us to do this, you have to realise that there's no facts involved in this conversation, only opinion.

chibob

This is all that matters really. It's not about performance really, but about how entertaining the league is. I will 100% maintain that the league as a whole was more entertaining 20 years ago, not because Arsenal were better, but because teams were playing more attacking football.

My opinion on this is that goalies and defenders weren't as good as the attackers back then.

Open to debate on it though.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Can Volkswagen bring the family that humped like rabbits to promote the Atlas instead of the family who tours the country in honor of their dead grandpa. At least, the family that humped like rabbits was an uplifting ad.

bruin

Noisy Neighbours on NBCSN was pretty good. Love you, Balotelli.

last home game for Zab tomorrow. Will shed a tear.

DanishDonut0

Big stuff about to happen. Watch the news.

Must be about my EPL fantasy comeback yeh?

Was down 100 in gameweek 35 only to find myself in the lead in gameweek 38 by 38. Put up 90 and 174. I think I'm actually more proud about making it through the whole season.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I got the tip before the substance. Oh well, at least there should be some kind of revolt against Kroenke now, which is where the problem lies.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Chelsea will never have such an appropriate player as John Terry. Racist chav scum to the core, and in that sense absolutely what supporting that club is all about.

evil1

Lost betting pool from earlier in the season trying to predict final EPL standings (top 7 and bottom 3). What ultimately cost me was I had Everton dropping out of top 7 and Swansea being relegated. Everton doesn't bother me, but how did Swansea escape the bottom 3?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
  • Finished with a club record 86 points
  • Highest PL finish ever
  • Tied for the 2nd most points ever for a 2nd place finisher in the PL
  • Highest goal differential in the PL
  • Highest goal differential ever for a 2nd place finisher in the PL
  • 4th highest goal differential ever in PL history
  • Most goals scored
  • Fewest goals conceded
  • Back to back Golden Boot winner - Harry Kane (missed 8 matches)
  • Kane had the highest goals per match (0.97) of any Golden Boot winner in PL history
  • Most points in 2nd half of the season
  • Undefeated record at White Hart Lane
  • Only team in the PL with 3 different 20 goal scorers for the season (Kane, Dele and Son)
I would like to say that I'm pleased with Spurs' results this year, but I'll defer to @hayvis to see if I should be happy or not.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Some of my favorite posts from this year's thread:

It's the most painful 90 minutes of my year. Although they are a bunch of spastic monkeys who, even if they had Barcelona's squad (which they absolutely don't), couldn't finish above us in a million years, the thought of losing a game to them is like the possibility of falling face first into dog shit.

You're a typical Spurs fan. All the warning signs for a dodgy season are there flashing like lighthouses, and yet you can't see it. I'd rather be a pessimistic Arsenal fan any day.

I'm absolutely not butthurt. You haven't won a game in five. That speaks for itself, and the absurdity of being happy with that is so typical of a Spurs fan. That's all I'm pointing out.

I'm also amused, because I predicted this at the beginning of the season. Pochettino plays the same players too much when they are fit and that causes injuries, which is why you've started 17 players; he has absolutely not been employing squad rotation. You also talk of depth, which again is laughable, when the players that you've brought into the side because of injuries are not winning you games.

I don't believe Spurs will be in the top four this year. I have a difference of opinion, and you are entitled to yours, but that isn't going to stop me from thinking yours is ridiculous.

When is St. Totteringham's Day?

One from the Time Child:

I love how mad Hayvis is about Brexit, and I'll be laughing for a few more days until I have to experience the same feeling when confronted with Donald Trump's America

Juking it out with Arsenal for 4th place, after narrowly beating an absolute piece of shit West Ham. You know we'll beat you for that spot. Good times.

:thumbsup:

One month theyve looked "good" for. Did they look good losing to Arsenal 3-0? Drawing with Swansea 2-2? Losing to West Ham 2-1? Theyve turned a corner in October.

The 3 at the back has helped but teams will adjust tactically when they play them. The real thing Chelsea have for them right now is an inform Hazard. They dont look as good as Leicester did this time last year, or Chelsea in 14/15. You hadnt lost a game by this time that year.

I know more about your team than you do.

Liverpool being in second with their schedule is impressive.

I think what Robert meant by "everyone has been shite" is "ManU has been shite."

I still can't figure out WTF Hayvis was going on about in this part of the thread...

Uh yeah, I would say there's 99.99% certainty that Chelsea will "drop points at some stage." If not, they'll finish the season with 121 points, which would beat the all-time record (also held by Chelsea :trollface: ) by a mere 26 points. :laughing:

Queue @whiteyc_77 to explain that Spurs are actually doing really well and in line for their best season ever.

-YTC

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Life must be miserable for people who only have the goal of WIN IT ALL OR THE SEASON IS A FAILURE.

Why can't ya'll just have some orange slices and celebrate a good year?

chibob

Life must be miserable for people who only have the goal of WIN IT ALL OR THE SEASON IS A FAILURE.

Why can't ya'll just have some orange slices and celebrate a good year?

I was only joking.

Great to see Spurs up there.

Shame they're at Wembley next year because it couldve been their season. Unfortunately I think theyll struggle to hit the same form.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I was only joking.

Great to see Spurs up there.

Shame they're at Wembley next year because it couldve been their season. Unfortunately I think theyll struggle to hit the same form.

Yep. They're winless in something like 10 games there. Next season could be a real disappointment for them which sucks. It's a fun team to watch.