• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018-2019 Prem / Farewell Stoke Threade - who ate all the pies?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I was only joking.

Great to see Spurs up there.

Shame they're at Wembley next year because it couldve been their season. Unfortunately I think theyll struggle to hit the same form.

Yep. They're winless in something like 10 games there. Next season could be a real disappointment for them which sucks. It's a fun team to watch.

Completely agree that Wembley presents real issues for Spurs, and next season could be disappointing (especially compared to the previous 2). However, it does give an entire offseason to get acclimated to the conditions there (pitch size, etc...) that Spurs were unable to adjust for in the one-off games played there over the last few years. It's a stretch, but it's possible that it could be as simple as getting used to the dimensions and conditions. Obviously, the team won't have anywhere near the same home record (went undefeated at WHL, for crying out loud), but my hope is that it isn't too awful. I'd be pleased with a top 5 finish next year.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Holy shit. Just coming in here to bitch about the goal, but then Arsenal score basically off the kick off. Damn.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I do wonder if @hayvis would switch seasons. I wouldn't, from a Spurs perspective, but I wonder how the Arsenal supporters feel. #wengerin

YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I do wonder if @hayvis would switch seasons. I wouldn't, from a Spurs perspective, but I wonder how the Arsenal supporters feel. #wengerin

YTC

I was thinking about this. I think I would prefer, as a fan, to be Tottenham this year. But if Arsenal had finished 4th, I would take Arsenal all day.

tab10

I don't think I would switch seasons despite how painful it was at times. At the end of the day, Arsenal won a trophy. Spurs, City, Liverpool did not.

Given Arsenal's struggles in the CL the last 6-7 years, I think I'm good with winning the FA Cup and finishing 5th. Hopefully it's only a one year appearance in the Europa league. It'll give Arsenal a chance for some squad rotation at times and hopefully in turn they'll be able to make a proper title run next year.

Player recruitment and retention do concern me though. I guess we'll see how the transfer window shakes out.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

YTC

We've qualified for the champions league countless times, never won it and only ever got close with a team that was significantly better than this current Arsenal or Spuds. Therefore top four is fucking pointless, so I'll take the silverware and be happy that Kroenke didn't get an extra £50 million. And even though I don't have mine anymore, season ticket prices are going down as a result (per game), so that's also a fucking massive bonus, and I can save £28 per month cancelling my BT sport subscription which is the only way to watch the ECL.

So all in all. I'm a lot happier than I would have been for coming runner up in the league..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
As for Wenger, I think he's done the best job possible over the last few years. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the problem lies with the fact that we have a chief executive that knows fuck all about football and an owner that doesn't give a shit about anything other than the share price. I think the reason why Wenger controls so much at the club is because of the aching void left by people at the top. I think considering he's been left to do almost everything at the club, we've done remarkably well.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
As for Wenger, I think he's done the best job possible over the last few years. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the problem lies with the fact that we have a chief executive that knows fuck all about football and an owner that doesn't give a shit about anything other than the share price. I think the reason why Wenger controls so much at the club is because of the aching void left by people at the top. I think considering he's been left to do almost everything at the club, we've done remarkably well.

I don't think he's done all that well. With how shitty everyone did last year, they should have won the league. Instead, they crawled into second place after Spurs pulled a Spurs. This year, they should have easily been in the Champions League positions. They haven't overperformed their talent in the league since possibly 2006/07. They've finished higher than 3rd once since 2005. Losing 10-2 to Bayern over too legs is not the best job possible. And losing every year in the Champions League round of 16 is not the best job possible.

I agree that the problems at the club go much deeper than Wenger and that he could do better with a better support system. But I don't look at Wenger and think the results on the field have been as good as they could be.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
We've qualified for the champions league countless times, never won it and only ever got close with a team that was significantly better than this current Arsenal or Spuds. Therefore top four is fucking pointless, so I'll take the silverware and be happy that Kroenke didn't get an extra £50 million. And even though I don't have mine anymore, season ticket prices are going down as a result (per game), so that's also a fucking massive bonus, and I can save £28 per month cancelling my BT sport subscription which is the only way to watch the ECL.

So all in all. I'm a lot happier than I would have been for coming runner up in the league..:thumbsup:

Hayvis with a positive view of the Arsenal season and the job that Wenger did?

giphy.gif

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don't think he's done all that well. With how shitty everyone did last year, they should have won the league. Instead, they crawled into second place after Spurs pulled a Spurs. This year, they should have easily been in the Champions League positions. They haven't overperformed their talent in the league since possibly 2006/07. They've finished higher than 3rd once since 2005. Losing 10-2 to Bayern over too legs is not the best job possible. And losing every year in the Champions League round of 16 is not the best job possible.

I agree that the problems at the club go much deeper than Wenger and that he could do better with a better support system. But I don't look at Wenger and think the results on the field have been as good as they could be.

I don't disagree that he could have done better, but I think that the primary reason for this is that he does everything at the club, bar the bean counting. If we had a chief exec that knew anything at all about football, he would have helped with transfers etc... (see David Dein and the fact that when he left everything went to shit). Or a chief exec might give Wenger better people around him to ensure he could concentrate on the game itself rather than having to micromanage the whole club, as Wenger does. This is what holds Wenger back, and he's absolutely complicit in letting this happen, however a great chief exec/owner would have made sure that it was never allowed, or that if it was, and the results started getting worse, that they would change things around him fast. Wenger has a reputation as a control freak; I and quite a few others that have studied him over the years, believe that this is because of circumstance and not desire.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Hayvis with a positive view of the Arsenal season and the job that Wenger did?

giphy.gif

You know @whiteyc_77 , I can't be unhappy with what we've got this season. Second place doesn't make it onto the signage around the stadium or into the trophy room, in fact NO-ONE REMEMBERS IT EVER AGAIN.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I don't disagree that he could have done better, but I think that the primary reason for this is that he does everything at the club, bar the bean counting. If we had a chief exec that knew anything at all about football, he would have helped with transfers etc... (see David Dein and the fact that when he left everything went to shit). Or a chief exec might give Wenger better people around him to ensure he could concentrate on the game itself rather than having to micromanage the whole club, as Wenger does. This is what holds Wenger back, and he's absolutely complicit in letting this happen, however a great chief exec/owner would have made sure that it was never allowed, or that if it was, and the results started getting worse, that they would change things around him fast. Wenger has a reputation as a control freak; I and quite a few others that have studied him over the years, believe that this is because of circumstance and not desire.

I think Wenger could have easily ceded some of that stuff to other people since he has the final say on everything with Arsenal. Sure, management should be imposing a lot of this on him. But he should realize he needs help and make sure it gets in place. Even a couple of weeks ago, he was still dismissing the idea of a director of football, which is crazy.

And this is all off the field stuff. On the field, it's pretty clear he's been past his prime for a while now. The FA Cup final is the first time in a long time that I remember him tactically outfoxing a good team. And the 3-4-3 system he found more out of desperation than any real plan.

I've said before, I don't think Wenger is the root problem here (hands-off management is). But he's definitely a problem. Honestly, I'd prefer a new manager to Wenger, simply because the new manager could bring something different than always finishing 3rd or 4th.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I think Wenger could have easily ceded some of that stuff to other people since he has the final say on everything with Arsenal. Sure, management should be imposing a lot of this on him. But he should realize he needs help and make sure it gets in place. Even a couple of weeks ago, he was still dismissing the idea of a director of football, which is crazy.

And this is all off the field stuff. On the field, it's pretty clear he's been past his prime for a while now. The FA Cup final is the first time in a long time that I remember him tactically outfoxing a good team. And the 3-4-3 system he found more out of desperation than any real plan.

I've said before, I don't think Wenger is the root problem here (hands-off management is). But he's definitely a problem. Honestly, I'd prefer a new manager to Wenger, simply because the new manager could bring something different than always finishing 3rd or 4th.

HE'S STAYING. Two year contract. A new manager would tank, so I'm happy. The only way things get better is if the club is changed at the top.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Still one of the best pure shots I've ever seen - if memory serves, that's also his off foot.

Really sad. I liked him a lot as a player, even though Newcastle.

chibob

Still one of the best pure shots I've ever seen - if memory serves, that's also his off foot.

Really sad. I liked him a lot as a player, even though Newcastle.

Yeh what really made it special was that it was part of the 4-4 comeback game

Renegade

Charge on!
Arnautovic (sp?) wants out, could be a big loss.

They still have an okayish team on paper though.

They also have a frustrating set up.

They start slow every year, but I've got no faith in Hughes, and I feel like the promoted squads look really solid this year. It's going to be fierce at the bottom of the table.

DanishDonut0

ManU's spending is really incredible, but then again it's Mourinho and it's the only way he can get a team winning :rolleyes:

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
That's why I'm Team Poche for life. Dude does so much with so little as it relates to the other Sky 6.

-YTC

chibob

That's why I'm Team Poche for life. Dude does so much with so little as it relates to the other Sky 6.

-YTC

Yeh gotta respect what's been built.

I do however remember the summer when they signed, lamela, chadli, eriksen, paulinho, soldado, capoue, chiriches all in one window.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Yeh gotta respect what's been built.

I do however remember the summer when they signed, lamela, chadli, eriksen, paulinho, soldado, capoue, chiriches all in one window.

While true, that also came in the same summer where an 85MM squiggle Gareth Bale left Tottenham.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Tottenham has had 1 net positive spend season with Poche, and that involved Moussa F*%^$ing Sissoko.

-YTC