• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Unless you were born in 2010 or don't know what makes a good team, you've seen worse teams in the Finals in your lifetime. Boston is a great team, they just don't have a consistent individual star. But the only people who care about that when looking at how good a team is are teenagers.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Yeah just look at the 07-08 Lakers and tell me they're better than Boston lol. Their 5th best player is....Derek Fisher? 22 year old Trevor Ariza? Jordan Farmar?

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 7.48.30 AM.png

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Or Orlando, or the Cavs. There are teams that aren't in the playoffs anymore who I'd pick in a series against a lot of the 00s Finals teams

NML

Y’all are vastly underestimating the star power.

I mean holy shit that Lakers team is stacked. They have three players better than anyone on the Celtics

Dwigt was one of the best five players in the league that year

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

I mean holy shit that Lakers team is stacked. They have three players better than anyone on the Celtics

But did the Erzz have DA GREATEST 19 YEAR OLD EVAHHHHH?

-YTC

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

You vastly underestimating having 9 competent players where there is no falloff when you go to the bench. Kobe probably still wins, but there are worse teams in the 00s

NML

The Celtics do not have 9 competent guys. They’ve shortened their rotation to seven because Semi isn’t ready and I don’t even know who the ninth guy would be. Shane Larkin? Greg Oden?

I also think a good Milwaukee series has overrated Rozier a bit. Baynes does his job well but he’s beyond limited

I can’t believe it’s an NBA thread where I’m having to devalue the Celtics but here we are

NML

Those Laker and Magic teams both won 59 games. That’s more than the Warriors this year

NML

AI literally won the MVP that season. So is having the best player in the league not important? They won the conference in the regular season

Ur definitely trolling so I’ll just say that I’m sorry for ur post season lots

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
So, in the span of 2 weeks we've gone from:
  • Touting how great Al Horford is
  • Touting how Jayson Tatum is the greatest 19 year old ever
  • The greatest GM and Coach in NBA History
  • Terry Rozier better than Ben Simmons
To "This team isn't as good as the 2000 76ers." WATTBA

-YTC

NML

-YTC

The first three things can all be true and they not be as good as the 2000 76ers. I was also 9 during those playoffs so I didn’t watch

I never said Rozier was better than Simmons doe. And if I did it was definitely drunk shit posting

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
AI literally won the MVP that season. So is having the best player in the league not important? They won the conference in the regular season

Ur definitely trolling so I’ll just say that I’m sorry for ur post season lots

It's important but not at all the most important. How many rings did he win? How many did Lebrin before Miami?

NML

How many rings has a team won without an All-NBA player?

That’s a legitimate question because I would guess it’s also 0 but I’m not sure. Chauncey was on those Pistons teams I think

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think we just value teams and individuals differently. I'm a believer in the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts in some cases, mostly with great corching. You are more interested in the best part than the whole. I do think you need a go to guy to be a great team, but I still say the celtics are way better than the Magic team who went to the finals

Honestly though if you define your lifetime as "finals I've watched" then that's something I can't argue. If you started watching in 2010 then you're definitely right. I thought your lifetime meant when you were alive.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I think we just value teams and individuals differently. I'm a believer in the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts in some cases, mostly with great corching. You are more interested in the best part than the whole. I do think you need a go to guy to be a great team, but I still say the celtics are way better than the Magic team who went to the finals

Honestly though if you define your lifetime as "finals I've watched" then that's something I can't argue. If you started watching in 2010 then you're definitely right. I thought your lifetime meant when you were alive.

He will define it in whatever way makes Ainge and Stevens look the best.

-YTC

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
that magic squad had (no google)

Howard
Hedo T
and Jameer Nelson

i dont remember anyone else

NML

I don’t necessarily disagree, but again, I don’t think a team without a player in the top 20 of the league has made an NBA finals. So it’s just unprecedented.

Maybe LeBron will win the next two and it’ll be a moo point

NML

I read something a while back about how that Magic team was the precursor to the modern NBA. They laid the foundation that you could surround one great player with a bunch of shooters and set the stage for the space and pace style

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

-YTC

2000-01 76ers had:

• Theo Ratliff as the 2nd leading scorer
  • A 35-year old Vernon Maxwell getting 15 minutes per game
  • Tyrone Hill and George Lynch in the starting lineup
  • Ranked 15th in PPG and 21st in turnovers per game

The 2017-18 Celtics would destroy the Iverson-led Sixers.

sayo

YEET
To me that Knicks team was pretty bad to me. Don't see how they are better than the Magic team or Nets team.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The 2006 Cavs team won 50 games (which was still good enough for 2nd in the god awful East) and had players like:

Donyell Marshall
Drew Gooden
Daniel Gibson
Geriatic Eric Snow
Someone named Dwayne Jones
Apparently anyone they could find whose name began with a D

That team was easily worse

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
That Iverson Sixers squad I think had Mutombo, Eric Snow, Aaron McKie, Derrick Coleman...AI was carrying the hell out of that team

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
A lot of Knicks finals teams to pick from in the 90s

Yea but you have to figure out which person you are dealing with and when they started watching basketball, and furthermore were they watching basketball with a discerning eye or just a young chap bouncing on Thur fathers knees looking for male approval.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I don't think I'd put those Nets teams in that tier, even though they were hella outmatched.

sayo

YEET
I had a friend from Philly in the AF. He hated Eric Snow with a passion lol. I use to play as him on 2k6 to troll.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
The 01-03 Nets had Kidd, Kerry Kittles, Richard Jefferson, Kenyon Martin, and Brian Scalabrine, so yeah, I guess they aren't quite as bad as those Sixers or Knicks squads, or even the 06 Cavs or 09 Magic.