• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 NBA Season: no IT ITT

DanishDonut0

He's never going to win anything besides STATS. I can't imagine anyone else wanting to play around him outside of washed up shooters or rookies. As a fan it's already hard enough to watch him take contested elbow jumpers and deep threes over and over with the % he actually hits them, can't imagine how that would be as an NBA player.

I'd rather build my team around Gordon Hayward

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
And that's the circular argument, right? There is obviously value in trusting teammates and development on the floor. This style of play restricts this. We will never know, man. Oladipo is a capable scorer (~40% 3 point shooter). Kanter can roast fools 1 v 1 in the post with the right matchups. Adams has shown himself to be a solid roll man. We just don't know how it would play out if you actually let them have a fucking chance. Instead, it's this one man shit show with the built in, "well, when that dude finally touched the ball with 4 mins left in the second, he missed a wide open shot so he's trash". It's just stupid.

This is true, and it is circular. What I'm saying is they just lost Durant and if they play the way you're describing then long term it's better for sure. But this year they would have missed the playoffs and just been shitty to watch. So this year, I'd let him run just because it's a precarious time for the franchise.

Next year though, he needs to assume a more (and I can't believe I'm saying this, I guess he needs to average 15 assists) normal PG role. Maybe he can learn to be an off-ball guard. They need to get new players if they want to run an offense that goes through someone else even if it's a few possessions though.

Doing that though means Presti needs to put on his robe and wizard hat and trade out the supporting players or he needs to trade Westbrook now. Because if you tell Westbrook to chill out and he doesn't win he's gone anyway.

sayo

YEET
Who gives a shit about missing the playoffs? They were never going to win a title and won't win a title unless a significant change is made to the roster.

NML

I mentioned this earlier, but OKC has no way to improve the roster. They've hamstrung themselves with the Kanter and Oladipo deals.

evil1

I call bullshit on the usage % argument (more so against how it is used in general than NML hisself). In particular, people who throw out the usage % argument don't discuss a fundamental question, namely is a high usage % bad?

The NBA player with the highest career usage % is Michael Jordan, a.k.a. the greatest player of all time (LeBron is 7th). In playoff career usage %, Jordan is again #1 all time (LeBron is 6th). So if the greatest NBA player of all time is also the player with the highest usage %, why are people automatically equating usage % as being something bad?

All a high usage % indicates is that the offense is being primarily run through that player. Well, we already knew that OKC was running their offense through Westbrook to a high degree. Usage % really isn't telling us anything new. The real question is whether OKC had any better options during this season and playoffs. IMO, no they didn't.

Because of Durant's departure, there was a huge turnover in OKC's roster this season. By my count, only 6 players returned from last year's team (including Westbrook). Three of their current players are rookies and another three are players were acquired via a mid-season trade this season. That is a huge amount of turnover.

It should also be noted that among the returning OKC players, Roberson, Kanter and Steve Adams all saw their usage percentage increase this year (rotation players Collison and Singler were about the same). Even Taj Gibson saw a slight uptick in his usage % when he joined OKC. So Westbrook wasn't taking away opportunities from the other OKC players (in fact, they saw their usage increase), instead Westbrook was picking up the slack caused by the massive roster upheaval. IMO, he did the best job anyone could have asked for given the circumstances.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Who gives a shit about missing the playoffs? They were never going to win a title and won't win a title unless a significant change is made to the roster.

Russel does. So that means you trade him now or let him walk for free.

I mentioned this earlier, but OKC has no way to improve the roster. They've hamstrung themselves with the Kanter and Oladipo deals.

Yep. They made small market gambles, and they're hoping they work out. They only have one year though.

Through the draft? Develop young players? Oh, but God forbid they miss the playoffs.

I'm Hinke's biggest fan, I would love for them to play this realistically and just suck so Westbrook can go to the Lakers. But that's the choice for the Thudner, either let Westbrook try his hardest to win every game he can or tell him to lose and alienate him.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
And that's the circular argument, right? There is obviously value in trusting teammates and development on the floor. This style of play restricts this. We will never know, man. Oladipo is a capable scorer (~40% 3 point shooter). Kanter can roast fools 1 v 1 in the post with the right matchups. Adams has shown himself to be a solid roll man. We just don't know how it would play out if you actually let them have a fucking chance. Instead, it's this one man shit show with the built in, "well, when that dude finally touched the ball with 4 mins left in the second, he missed a wide open shot so he's trash". It's just stupid.

kanter cant guard a graveyard tho

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I still don't know why Donovan went away from him. When Westbrook was off the court they were -58 or something, and while he wasn't shooting well I think he brings that number up more if he plays through the slump in games 1 and 2. Even with Harden slicing him up like silverwheels on prep duty

Brick

Harden and Durant probably left because they didn't want to play with ball hog guy at the YMCA or college rec center. There's no better microcosm of that than this series. There is no fucking reason at all for him to shoot 18 threes in a game. He's not Steph Curry (who didn't even attempt 18 in any game this season). He was 13-48 (26.8%) in the series. He is a career 31% three point shooter. I'm not going to argue about his merits of being the best player in the NBA or MVP (I just don't really care). But I still hate on his ugly game and the insistence that he *needs* to have the ball in his hands that much. And that definitely contributes to the fact that they suck really hard when he's off the court. Rhythm is a real thing in basketball.

Reel

Community Liaison
That doesn't mean he's a bum or completely unplayable. Just means the team needs to put him in situations where he can succeed. Ideally, he should be shredding second units.

on defense?

Reel

Community Liaison
Harden and Durant probably left because they didn't want to play with ball hog guy at the YMCA or college rec center. There's no better microcosm of that than this series. There is no fucking reason at all for him to shoot 18 threes in a game. He's not Steph Curry (who didn't even attempt 18 in any game this season). He was 13-48 (26.8%) in the series. He is a career 31% three point shooter. I'm not going to argue about his merits of being the best player in the NBA or MVP (I just don't really care). But I still hate on his ugly game and the insistence that he *needs* to have the ball in his hands that much.

srs question

who gon shoot the baw if he dont? McDermott?

Brick

srs question

Oh, I don't know, multiple players with NBA skills making a six or seven figure salaries? That's not a legitimate question. Just like when the Cavs had LeBron and nothing else, it's really easy to back on the ridiculous argument that everyone else on the team "sucks".

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah, Bestbrook needs to quit being a ballhog and let Nick Collison in on the action. SINGLERRRRRRRR

It'd help our case if you would use players who actually play. It would have the same effect as saying Nick Collison so there's no reason not to just use the starters' names.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
srs question

How about Oladipo, who averaged 15.9 PPG this year and shot better from 3 point range? Or Adams? Or Kanter? Or yeah, McDermott, who is better 3 point shooter than RUSS? Or maybe they could get better players, but no one wants to play with a glorified chucker who HAS to have the ball in his hands or is "alienated."

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
It'd help our case if you would use players who actually play. It would have the same effect as saying Nick Collison so there's no reason not to just use the starters' names.

Fair point. Let's have Roberson shoot 15 times a game.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
How about Oladipo, who averaged 15.9 PPG this year and shot better from 3 point range? Or Adams? Or Kanter? Or yeah, McDermott, who is better 3 point shooter than RUSS? Or maybe they could get better players, but no one wants to play with a glorified chucker who HAS to have the ball in his hands or is "alienated."
He's only alienated if they don't try to win

They shot 31% from 3 this year as a team without RUSS. McDermott got torched so he lost favor quick, and he got hurt if memory serves. Kanter can't play a lot due to defense, Adams can make layups. Dipo was very hot or cold, but I doubt you watched the games aside from maybe the playoffs. He either was decent or went 3-17.

Yes you could put the ball in any of their hands more, and they would be worse.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Again though, just this year. If you do put the ball in their hands more they'd be better next year and the year after but Russ would be in purple and gold for sure with Paul George. He probably is anyway, but that's the decision for the Thudner

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It's at least fair to say he could distribute more and allow other players to contribute... Maybe?

How much more

[xtable]
{caption}Assist Pct{/caption}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1.{/td}
{td}Russell Westbrook • OKC{/td}
{td}57.3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2.{/td}
{td}James Harden • HOU{/td}
{td}50.7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3.{/td}
{td}John Wall • WAS{/td}
{td}46.9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}4.{/td}
{td}Chris Paul • LAC{/td}
{td}46.8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}5.{/td}
{td}LeBron James • CLE{/td}
{td}41.3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6.{/td}
{td}Ricky Rubio • MIN{/td}
{td}38.9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}7.{/td}
{td}T.J. McConnell • PHI{/td}
{td}37.5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}8.{/td}
{td}Rajon Rondo • CHI{/td}
{td}37.0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}9.{/td}
{td}Jeff Teague • IND{/td}
{td}36.4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}10.{/td}
{td}Deron Williams • TOT{/td}
{td}35.9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}11.{/td}
{td}Jrue Holiday • NOP{/td}
{td}35.9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}12.{/td}
{td}Elfrid Payton • ORL{/td}
{td}35.7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}13.{/td}
{td}Dennis Schroder • ATL{/td}
{td}35.5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}14.{/td}
{td}Sergio Rodriguez • PHI{/td}
{td}35.4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}15.{/td}
{td}Mike Conley • MEM{/td}
{td}34.5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}16.{/td}
{td}Ish Smith • DET{/td}
{td}32.5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}17.{/td}
{td}Isaiah Thomas • BOS{/td}
{td}32.5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}18.{/td}
{td}Tim Frazier • NOP{/td}
{td}31.4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}19.{/td}
{td}Stephen Curry • GSW{/td}
{td}31.1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}20.{/td}
{td}Eric Bledsoe • PHO{/td}
{td}31.1{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Brick

index.php

Capture.PNG

This is not a problem exclusive to having "no support". He was objectively the worst offensive player on that Finals team, and he still chose to chuck it up more than anyone else.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I don't understand how people don't get this unless they just absolutely hate him or his style of play. If that's all of you then fine, I know it's brick for sure.

The Thunder would lose him for nothing if they didn't let him try his hardest to win. Before this they had Durant and so he could be told it was better for the team, but now you can't do that. It's not better for the team in game 1, then game 2 all the way to 82 for him to defer a lot more. They had 3 streaky shooters who put up 33%+. One they got at the trade deadline.

Do you trade him before this season? You have to if you don't let him do this. If you tell him not to give his team the best chance to win night in and night out so that in 2-3 years they'll be better what do you think he says?

giphy.gif

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
He's only alienated if they don't try to win

They shot 31% from 3 this year as a team without RUSS. McDermott got torched so he lost favor quick, and he got hurt if memory serves. Kanter can't play a lot due to defense, Adams can make layups. Dipo was very hot or cold, but I doubt you watched the games aside from maybe the playoffs. He either was decent or went 3-17.

Yes you could put the ball in any of their hands more, and they would be worse.

I'm not talking about Adams shooting threes lol. Yeah, he can dunk, make layups, and be involved in the pick and roll. He's a big ogre mong, what else are you expecting from him? He's the reason they even won a playoff game this year, because Mr. Hero Ball was too busy clanking threes and free throws off the rim in the 4th. He seems like a decent enough big man. Maybe Oladipo was inconsistent because he wasn't consistently involved. I don't know, you're right in that I only watched like 2-3 games outside the playoffs. Regardless, his eFG was better than RUSS' this year, so I don't buy the argument that there was no one that could make a shot on the Thudner. The lone playoff game they won this year was when the supporting cast was more involved and showed up. Maybe they got lucky and just happened to be firing on all cylinders that day, but it seems to indicate something.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm not talking about Adams shooting threes lol. Yeah, he can dunk, make layups, and be involved in the pick and roll. He's a big ogre mong, what else are you expecting from him? He seems like a decent enough big man. Maybe Oladipo was inconsistent because he wasn't consistently involved. I don't know, you're right in that I only watched like 2-3 games outside the playoffs. Regardless, his eFG was better than RUSS' this year, so I don't buy the argument that there was no one that could make a shot on the Thudner.

I didn't say that, but he was very streaky. And he always got shots when he was healthy, that was his role. Abrines too. They got more open 3s than any team in the league.

sayo

YEET
Why are the only options losing Russ or letting him play like an asshole? Is he unable to understand long term development and planning?:laughing:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, the way it's being presented, it sounds like it would way more beneficial for the Thudner to trade RUSS. I'm sure the ERZZZZ or whomever would give up a lot for him that they could build a better team long term with.

Then again, this is the franchise that once had 3 of the current top 7-8 players in the NBA and managed to fuck that up.

NML

I'm sure they'd get a monster deal if they wanted. I have no doubt the C's would give them all the assets and take one of Kanter or Oladipo's bloated contracts.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Then again, this is the franchise that once had 3 of the current top 7-8 players in the NBA and managed to fuck that up.

Insofar as trading a guy rather than letting him walk for nothing and then letting a guy walk for nothing rather than trading him can both be wrong, sure. But that kinda proves my point.

NML

Instead of letting Kanter walk for nothing, he has the worst contract in the league.

Sometimes that's the better choice

Reel

Community Liaison
idk what games ya'll watching, but the ones i saw, he was at the top, and everybody else was just standing there

im not sure what you want him to do in that instance when they pack the paint like that and he kicks it out and either they brick it or pump fake pump fake, dribble, then pick up dribble

for as talented as everyone is trying to make Oladipo be, there were too many possessions where he was just sitting there and not moving when there were obvious lanes for him to cut.

Reel

Community Liaison
Instead of letting Kanter walk for nothing, he has the worst contract in the league.

Sometimes that's the better choice

worse than Asik?

sidebar, why is there still post flood control still enabled on this site? Besides Hachiko, is there anyone still spamming the board with consecutive posts?