• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 NBA Season: no IT ITT

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Somehow even with the shampship decided* I'm insanely excited for this season. It's like the NBA contracted the East and all the talent went to the West. Lebrin by hisself at the ASG, Kanter might make it.

I really can't wait to see what a team with 3 of the most ball dominant guards in the league does, I have no idea how that is going to work. Donny better just roll 2 balls out to save hisself the headache.

*barring injury

CJ_24

Somehow even with the shampship decided* I'm insanely excited for this season. It's like the NBA contracted the East and all the talent went to the West. Lebrin by hisself at the ASG, Kanter might make it.

I really can't wait to see what a team with 3 of the most ball dominant guards in the league does, I have no idea how that is going to work. Donny better just roll 2 balls out to save hisself the headache.

*barring injury

ahem
fear-the-deer.png

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
nml so mad another gm is stealing ainge's shine.

Paul is going to bass fish in Oklahoma for years

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
SERGE!

Carmelo Anthony Makes The Thunder Whole

By [BCOLOR=rgb(252, 252, 255)]Kyle Wagner[/BCOLOR]

Filed under NBA
carmelo1.jpg

Carmelo Anthony was traded to the Thunder for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a second-round pick.
JIM MCISAAC / GETTY IMAGES

As the NBA super team has returned to fashion over the last decade or so, basketball fans have been trained to rein in expectations — that putting together “on paper” talent full of volume scoring and high usage rates is a foolish way to assemble a fantasy team, let alone an NBA roster. They’ve been warned, in other words, against getting too excited about exactly what the Oklahoma City Thunder just did.

At first glance, Sam Presti and the Thunder pulling off yet another surprising trade — this time swapping Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a second-round pick for 10-time All-Star Carmelo Anthony — seems like fool’s gold. There’s only one ball, and Anthony, Paul George (whom the Thunder acquired earlier in the offseason) and reigning MVP Russell Westbrook all used prolific amounts of it last season: Anthony had a usage rate of 29.1 percent, his lowest in a decade but still a top-20 figure in the league. George’s was 28.9, also in the top 20, and Westbrook’s, famously, was 41.7 — a single-season NBA record. Anthony isn’t what he once was and his Knicks haven’t made the playoffs since 2013; George’s Indiana Pacers and Westbrook’s Thunder washed out in the first round. There’s plenty reason to question whether this will work. But Oklahoma City isn’t just any rebuilding project, and that makes its needs unique.

It’s hard to evaluate the revamped Thunder by looking at these players as they existed on other teams. A player’s role can change drastically when going from a bad team to a contender (e.g. Kevin Love). More important is how they’ll fit on a Thunder team gunning for the Western Conference Finals and beyond. And unlike most teams adding star players to a modest roster, there’s a template in the team’s recent history for how the fit might go: The Kevin Durant-led 2015-16 Thunder went up 3-1 on the Golden State Warriors in the conference finals.

Westbrook, starting center Steven Adams and standout perimeter defender Andre Roberson are all holdovers from that team, and George will likely be asked to fill a trimmed-down Durant role. Anthony, meanwhile, has a surprising amount in common with another former OKC standout: Serge Ibaka.

This takes a bit of explaining. Ibaka’s defense has slipped recently, but he’s still a good defender overall and blocks shots at a high rate. Even in the 2016 playoffs, when Ibaka was no longer the fierce rim protector he was in earlier playoff runs, he held the Warriors to 40.8 percent shooting on attempts he defended in the conference finals. Meanwhile, Anthony can string together a few high-intensity defensive plays, but he has never shown the ability to do that over a season or even a playoff series. Big advantage for Serge. But Anthony has traditionally been a very good rebounder for his position and excels at Ibaka’s other major contribution: floor spacing from a “big” position.

Anthony had an effective field goal rate of 58.6 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers last season, better than known sharpshooters like Kevin Love and in the top half of players with at least 200 attempts. (This is more impressive than it sounds, because the ranks of players who are asked to take 200 spot-up jumpers is a heavily self-selected group. Anthony will obviously hold the ball more than Ibaka, but he’s also a better ball handler and passer. The who-does-what balance will be crucial, which it doesn’t take deep analysis to see. But at minimum, Melo walking into a spot-up shooting role — the role he played so well for Team USA — will help the Thunder no matter what else he does, simply because he’s a good enough shooter to space the floor. And the Thunder desperately needed spacing.

As a team, the Thunder had an effective field goal rate of 48.4 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers last season, third-worst in the league. The season before, they were middle-of-the-pack at 52.2 eFG, despite Ibaka underperforming and bricklayers like Roberson, Kyle Singler and Randy Foye eating up a lot of looks. Now they add Anthony, George was even better last season at 60.1 percent eFG and Patrick Patterson (55 percent eFG). The Thunder didn’t just address their need for shooters — they course-corrected their recent tendency to address shooting deficiencies with players who can only shoot, Anthony Morrow or Alex Abrines.

The bigger question for Oklahoma City is depth. The Thunder rotation was already perilously thin, and trading Kanter and McDermott for Anthony replaces two young players with a 33-year-old forward. But even that is offset by the ways Anthony and George fundamentally change the makeup of the roster. Last season, the Thunder scored 10.6 fewer points per 100 possessions when Westbrook sat, making role players like Roberson or fellow defensive standouts such as Jerami Grant much less valuable than they would be on a team that was competent offensively. So the fact that Anthony and George carried their respective offenses with fairly limited rosters should mean that Roberson, Grant and other role players can focus on their strengths rather than their deficiencies.

And that gets to the core of why the Westbrook-Anthony-George team-up isn’t quite like other recent collections of stars, Golden State notwithstanding. The core of a contending team was already in place but was gutted by Durant’s exit in free agency and general roster turnover. The Thunder were a good team with a few specific, extreme holes in the roster. Trading for Paul George filled a bunch of them, and trading for Melo has emphatically closed the rest.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/carmelo-anthony-makes-the-thunder-whole/

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
The bigger question for Oklahoma City is depth. The Thunder rotation was already perilously thin, and trading Kanter and McDermott for Anthony replaces two young players with a 33-year-old forward. But even that is offset by the ways Anthony and George fundamentally change the makeup of the roster. Last season, the Thunder scored 10.6 fewer points per 100 possessions when Westbrook sat, making role players like Roberson or fellow defensive standouts such as Jerami Grant much less valuable than they would be on a team that was competent offensively. So the fact that Anthony and George carried their respective offenses with fairly limited rosters should mean that Roberson, Grant and other role players can focus on their strengths rather than their deficiencies.

i posed the same question

NML

nml so mad another gm is stealing ainge's shine

ou in the nile about thudner

okc fans never cease to amaze me. Durant is the greatest person who ever lived... until he left. Why aren't we getting linked stories about him wearing his backpack to press conferences anymore? Harden leaves and becomes a star, but they dismiss him because he's a ball hog who doesn't play defense. RUSS becomes a ball hog who doesn't play defense and he's the GOAT.

I don't even have words for this reaction about melo. I'll just leave this and let the circle jerk continue

Fuck that. Keep Melo far away from rhubarb.

Melo gonna poop on u
Melo can at least score against just about anyone.

NML

I like that you edited the "learn to understand sarcasm" part when you realized that no one was going to buy that as sarcasm

NML

lol "its just sports" coming from the dude that debates visiting the 9mm cafe every time OU has lost this past decade

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
ou in the nile about thudner

okc fans never cease to amaze me. Durant is the greatest person who ever lived... until he left. Why aren't we getting linked stories about him wearing his backpack to press conferences anymore? Harden leaves and becomes a star, but they dismiss him because he's a ball hog who doesn't play defense. RUSS becomes a ball hog who doesn't play defense and he's the GOAT.

I don't even have words for this reaction about melo. I'll just leave this and let the circle jerk continue

So you would not trade serge/payne/kanter for melo/george?

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
If OKC gets Olympic Melo, then it was a worthwhile trade, especially considering what they gave up for him. If not, then oh well. Had to try something.

sayo

YEET
If they get NYK Melo, it's a worthwhile trade. Kanter is unplayable in the playoffs and what is mcbuckets even? Lol that kanter deal was awful (Portland sends their regards). At least aging Melo is a decent stretch 4 who can give you solid minutes in the playoffs.

evil1

Embiid watching the Eagles kick a 61 FG for the win. Man, I hope he really gets to play this season.

NML

So you would not trade serge/payne/kanter for melo/george?

Let me just play out the rest of this conversation for you

Me: OKC has nothing past this year. Are you okay locking urself into the 7 seed and first round exit as the best case scenario after this season?

OKC fans: Yes because RUSS

evil1

How would keeping Enes Kanter, Oladipo or Domantas Sabonis, change that? If OKC doesn't make the Paul George/Melo trades, RUSS is surrounded by a poor team and they get locked into the 7-8 seed and a first round exit. If OKC makes these trades and they don't work out past this year, RUSS is surrounded by a poor team and they get locked into the 7-8 seed and a first round exit. What exactly is the downside?

colb

Me: OKC has nothing past this year. Are you okay locking urself into the 7 seed and first round exit as the best case scenario after this season?

Without these moves, what are the chances RUSS even stays? Could be looking at another KD situation because they didn't make moves.

I don't see how anyone can fault Presti for going all in, with what might be your last chance with RUSS.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

would you make that trade or not?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
OKC got Melo and Paul George for actually negatively valued things (Oladipo and Kanters shit contracts). I really don't see how anyone could think those were bad moves.

NML

Well Oladipo and Kanter were suppose to be building blocks for the future - otherwise, why hand out those contracts?

At least we can all agree that those were terrible moves by Presti

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
they actually positioned themselves to have no money on the books if RUSS leaves instead of having a ton sunk into dipo and kanter. so even if he leaves theyre better off than they were.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well Oladipo and Kanter were suppose to be building blocks for the future - otherwise, why hand out those contracts?

kanter wasnt at the time, dipo was

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Kanter was a "they had no choice" deal with the salary cap. It was either sign Kanter to a bad deal or just let him go and have nothing. I think Kanter isn't good but in that moment, they needed all they could get.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Kanter was a "they had no choice" deal with the salary cap. It was either sign Kanter to a bad deal or just let him go and have nothing. I think Kanter isn't good but in that moment, they needed all they could get.
and it was going into durant's last season. hindsight being 2020 sure it wasnt worth it but he hadnt left yet and had they let kanter walk knowing they couldn't sign anyone else it would have been a really bad move

sayo

YEET
They also signed kanter because it was the off-season before kd was a fa. They had to do everything to keep him.