• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NFL: ALL HAIL THE ACID SHARKS

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
yep

people just giving the pats weapons

but idk @Wuf, they just gave revis a bunch of money for a db. They didnt even wanna pay Moss

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
So, uh, are the Raiders broke? They have $50m in cap space, but aren't spending, and are letting people go?

I think they are just mailing it in for a few years until they can get rid of everyone and start a new post Al-Davis culture. Why add anyone new to a dumpster fire?

Bucksin04

The Browns structured their offer to WR Andrew Hawkins in such a way that Cincinnati is now unlikely to match. $10.8M over first two years, four-year, $13.6M overall. Savvy move by the Browns. Still would have to think they're in on Edelman. Going to come down between them and New England, most money wins I'd presume.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
So, uh, are the Raiders broke? They have $50m in cap space, but aren't spending, and are letting people go?​

looks like those gifs @Packfan posted about the packers should be posted under any Raider's posts

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think they are just mailing it in for a few years until they can get rid of everyone and start a new post Al-Davis culture. Why add anyone new to a dumpster fire?

This was really the plan all along. Big name FAs aren't going to go there, I'd think they would be looking at value players that they might be able to flip for picks. Just horde draft picks and then make a big splash in two years. No reason to spend money in FA when you aren't ready to compete, unless your jerb is on the line. Sounds like they've given him a decently long leash though.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Since Reggie McKenzie learned under Ted Thompson in Green Bay it shouldn't be a shock. Losing draft picks for Carson Palmer and Pryor I think they knew it was going to be a long process.

PSUEagle

I assume he will take on the role of Barner when he was backup to James, and Thomas when he was backup to Barner.

Lots of motion into the backfield.

I think you're right.

Kelly tried to use DeSean in that role last year, but the fit was awkward: Jackson isn't good at running he ball in between defenders (on the jet sweep) and his size and durability issues make it hard to let him touch the ball on those types of plays more than a couple times a game. He did go in motion a lot though from out wide into the backfield, which I'm sure Sproles will be doing (and vice versa).

I'll be interested to see what type of WR they draft this year: the one thing we know about Chip from both college and the NFL is guys who will block (that's a big reason they made sure to resign Riley Cooper, IMO). If they move DeSean they lose that guy that can blow the top off the defense and make keep at least one guy deep 20+ yards at all times.

Sproles is perfect for any non-mongoloid offense. You can use him to create mismatches, and that's what non-mongoloid offenses are all about.

Give me some examples of "mongoloid offenses." Not trolling: I want to hear some specifics because I hear this thrown out a lot on Utopia.

Bucksin04

He's got a point.

BioQCLeCUAAhYH6.png:large

Chase

PFF's 5 worst FA signings

Aqib Talib, CB, Denver Broncos
Six years, $57 million, $26 million guaranteed

There is a lot that makes sense about this move. The Broncos needed to add a corner with Champ Bailey leaving town and Chris Harris blowing out his knee late in the season, but they elected to throw money at Talib over extending Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who had a better season and was already in the building.
Other than interceptions (where he trailed by one), Rodgers-Cromartie bettered Talib's coverage numbers across the board in 2013. He allowed fewer catches (30 to 38), 143 fewer yards, a lower percentage of targets to be caught (44.1 to 53.5) and broke up more passes (10 to 7 PDs) while passers throwing into his coverage ended the season with a rating of just 67.8 as opposed to the 72.3 when aiming at Talib.
His PFF coverage grade (attained from play-by-play grading of his season) was a plus-11.0 compared to Talib's minus-5.8, and he avoided being eviscerated during the season the way Talib was by Browns wideout Josh Gordon. Given the cost of this contract for Talib, a guy with plenty of question marks, you have to think the smarter deal would have been to lock up the player that was already in-house.
To really rub salt in the wounds the Patriots then replaced Talib with Darrelle Revis for one-year at $12 million. Revis is the player that Talib threatens to be at his very best. Denver was rumored to be interested in Revis all along, but instead pulled the trigger on Talib for more money.

D'Qwell Jackson, LB, Indianapolis Colts
Four years, $22 million, $11 million guaranteed

This move is all about what you could have had. There isn't much doubt that Jackson is an upgrade for the Colts -- that's how bad their inside linebacker situation has been -- but when you consider what the Browns were able to replace him with, you get a sense of where the Colts should have put their money instead. Karlos Dansby may be a couple of years older than Jackson, but he is playing at a completely different level and signed for just a bit more money.
While Jackson struggled last season on his way to a PFF grade of minus-11.6, Dansby was right up among the best inside linebackers in the league at plus-13.3 thanks in part to his big plays like eight sacks and four interceptions. Dansby made 44 more defensive stops than Jackson, and opposing quarterbacks completed a lower percentage of passes into his coverage (65 percent versus 73.3 percent for Jackson) for a lower passer rating (75 to 91.3). The Colts were correct to upgrade at linebacker; they just chose the wrong guy to do it.

Tyson Jackson, DL, Atlanta Falcons
Five years, $25 million, $11 million guaranteed

The Falcons seem intent on finding run-stoppers this offseason, it's just a shame that hasn't been the league's best strategy since about 1994. Jackson, to his credit, is a fine run-defender, especially as a 3-4 defensive end, but he brings practically nothing as a pass-rusher. When I say nothing, I mean he might as well be a tackling dummy on passing downs. Eleven 3-4 defensive ends got more pressure in 2013 than Jackson has generated in five years in Kansas City. He has posted just 38 pressures in his pro career. To put that into some perspective, J.J. Watt notched 85 last season alone, more than twice as many.
The Falcons are paying Jackson enough that he needs to be more than just a run-stuffer in a league that is becoming ever less focused on the run, especially since they also added Paul Soliai to accomplish the same outcome.

Zane Beadles, OG, Jacksonville Jaguars
Five years, $30 million, $13 million guaranteed

Finding quality interior linemen in free agency can be a tough task.
When Jaguars GM David Caldwell spoke about Beadles he said:"He's very intelligent, he's very competitive and he's very smart." Notice that nowhere in there did he say Beadles was very good.
Despite Peyton Manning acting as an O-lineman's best friend, Beadles couldn't grade any better than average in 2013. In fact, over his four-year career, he has graded above average just once for a season: the 2012 campaign, where he surrendered a lone sack and just 20 additional pressures. This past season, he matched the solitary sack conceded, but surrendered 44 additional pressures, including allowing his quarterback to hit the ground 10 times.

Chris Williams, OL, Buffalo Bills
Four years, $13.5 million, $5 million guaranteed

This move can only be explained as a team not actually getting around to watching the tape of the guy it is signing. I'm not just talking about his 2013 tape either; you could throw in pretty much any tape of Williams since coming into the league, and you would come away convinced that there is a better option available.
Williams is a former first-round pick, however, and has name recognition, which apparently is worth enough to outweigh the 41 total pressures he surrendered last season playing guard for the Rams, a figure that was seventh-worst in the league among guards. Only one of those players surrendered pressure at a worse rate per snap in pass protection than Williams. Somehow, the Bills thought that Williams was worth signing to a four-year contract.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
@dirt how you feel about Bethea? I like it, fills the hole good enough for next year anyway. Wish Brown would come back
In case you missed this on Bethea... seems to diagnose the run well with good lateral speed. Pretty much all I know of him so far. I like the move I guess, but Witner was a tough mofo for SF & that hit against PT a couple years ago was legendary, so big shoes to fill...

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/3/13/5500856/49ers-antoine-bethea-free-agency-all-22-breakdown

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think you're right.

Kelly tried to use DeSean in that role last year, but the fit was awkward: Jackson isn't good at running he ball in between defenders (on the jet sweep) and his size and durability issues make it hard to let him touch the ball on those types of plays more than a couple times a game. He did go in motion a lot though from out wide into the backfield, which I'm sure Sproles will be doing (and vice versa).

I'll be interested to see what type of WR they draft this year: the one thing we know about Chip from both college and the NFL is guys who will block (that's a big reason they made sure to resign Riley Cooper, IMO). If they move DeSean they lose that guy that can blow the top off the defense and make keep at least one guy deep 20+ yards at all times.

Give me some examples of "mongoloid offenses." Not trolling: I want to hear some specifics because I hear this thrown out a lot on Utopia.

Mongoloid offense = being so set on position archetypes that you fail to see the potential in a versatile player like Sproles who doesn't fit well as either a RB or a WR, but is explosive. What teams fall victim to this? Most NFL teams do. I'll give Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Chip Kelly, and Pete Carroll credit for being non-mongoloids because they figure out how to use dynamic players without limiting them to traditional positional roles. Any team that doesn't value the unique skill set provided by Darren Sproles (especially for only a 5th round pick) is relegated to mongoloid levels. Unless Payton replaces Sproles with another explosive hybrid player, I relegate him to mongoloid status as well.

I really became aware of the mongoloid offense when Josh McDaniels replaced Mike Shannahan. Shannahan was not good at player personnel decisions, but he was good at using uniquely gifted players in non-traditional roles to create mismatches. He basically utilized Shannon Sharpe's unique qualities to re-invent the TE position, and he was doing the same thing with Peyton Hillis, Tony Scheffler, and Brandon Marshall before he was fired. My favorite play in Shany's last season was a toss sweep where Brandon Marshall would block the Defensive End. Having a WR block a defensive end sounds like a bad plan, but Shany knew he had more than a traditional WR in Marshall and was not afraid to use him that way. He'd split Peyton Hillis out in the slot and when Miami tried to cover him with some slow ass MLB all game he ended up with like 150 receiving yards. When McMongoloid replaced Shanahan, he literally could not understand how to utilize any of those players in non-traditional ways and it drove me nuts. He got rid of both Scheffler and Hillis because they didn't "fit his system" and replaced them with a more traditional RB and TE who blew ass, etc. If I hear "they don't fit my system" about such dynamic players, it makes me want to murder.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

We actually have a guy on the roster that might be the next Sproles

I don't have much faith in him...his name is Trogvaris Cadet

GR8 2 B FL G8R

How are we dead when we were the only team in 2013 with a top 4 offense and defense?

And we just added the best FA on the open market

We are courting roided Seahawk Brandon Browner right now, who would give us arguably the best secondary in the NFL

We haven't lost anyone significant. When you have a backfield that is 4 deep, losing one of them does not hurt.

fonzilla

Mongoloid offense = being so set on position archetypes that you fail to see the potential in a versatile player like Sproles who doesn't fit well as either a RB or a WR, but is explosive. What teams fall victim to this? Most NFL teams do. I'll give Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Chip Kelly, and Pete Carroll credit for being non-mongoloids because they figure out how to use dynamic players without limiting them to traditional positional roles. Any team that doesn't value the unique skill set provided by Darren Sproles (especially for only a 5th round pick) is relegated to mongoloid levels. Unless Payton replaces Sproles with another explosive hybrid player, I relegate him to mongoloid status as well.

I really became aware of the mongoloid offense when Josh McDaniels replaced Mike Shannahan. Shannahan was not good at player personnel decisions, but he was good at using uniquely gifted players in non-traditional roles to create mismatches. He basically utilized Shannon Sharpe's unique qualities to re-invent the TE position, and he was doing the same thing with Peyton Hillis, Tony Scheffler, and Brandon Marshall before he was fired. My favorite play in Shany's last season was a toss sweep where Brandon Marshall would block the Defensive End. Having a WR block a defensive end sounds like a bad plan, but Shany knew he had more than a traditional WR in Marshall and was not afraid to use him that way. He'd split Peyton Hillis out in the slot and when Miami tried to cover him with some slow ass MLB all game he ended up with like 150 receiving yards. When McMongoloid replaced Shanahan, he literally could not understand how to utilize any of those players in non-traditional ways and it drove me nuts. He got rid of both Scheffler and Hillis because they didn't "fit his system" and replaced them with a more traditional RB and TE who blew ass, etc. If I hear "they don't fit my system" about such dynamic players, it makes me want to murder.
Brandon Marshall's greatest skill might be his run blocking... Alshon is good at it as well.

fonzilla

Face it: Saints are dead. Noodle arm will be around 3 more years or so and then retire. Maybe a playoff win or two. Cowboys hire Smug Payton, Rob Ryan is promoted, turn back to the 'Aints.
And they go back to where they belonguploadfromtaptalk1394745026797.jpg

fonzilla

What injury did Vaccaro get last year? I remember he was your defensive mvp until he got hurt I believe.

Chief

Lt. Fun Times
Bear Down buddy...... Is he a product of Suh and Fairley? Or is he pretty damn good?
I'm a big fan. He's never posted high sack totals, but he was a part-time player before last year. You always notice him on the field, sometimes for bad reasons (poor contain on the run, dumb penalties) but usually because he's always in the backfield and has more impact on the game then the stats show. I'm sure Suh and Fairley played some part in that, but he definitely has a lot of talent. He's also just a fun dude and and crazy motherfucker (played with a disgustingly mangled finger 2 years ago, and almost had it amputated so it wouldn't bother him during the game until more reasonable people talked him out of it). I'll miss him

bruin

Isn't that what they signed Dressler for?

yes. Still wouldn't hurt taking a chance on DAT in the later rounds.

I heard some talk on Chiefs blogs that Joe McKnight who signed a few months ago will likely take Cyrus Gray's spot. Liked Gray out of A&M, but Knile Davis he ain't.