• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Off-Season Thread

Schauwn

LOL-Kings

"If you're a basketball fan, you've probably already read Zach Lowe's tiered NBA rankings. If you're not, toward the bottom there's an aside about a wonderfully wackadoo bit of proposed strategy that might turn you into a fan.
Owner Vivek Ranadivé has pitched the idea to the team's brain trust of playing 4-on-5 defense and leaving one player to cherry-pick, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter. The Kings aren't actually going to do that, but their D-League might, and it shows Ranadivé is committed to pushing boundaries in his search for an offbeat brand of "position-less" ball.
I don't care that any halfway competent team would carve up a four-man zone, and probably beat these Kings by 80. (This defense would probably be effective against the Kings, who don't have more than a couple players worth guarding anyway.) I don't care that you'd probably have DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay get into a fistfight over who got to hang out under the opponent's basket.
All I care about is that Vivek Ranadivé is apparently crazy, yet still determined to give advice to his basketball people. That bodes well for the Kings' entertainment value in the coming years.
This is the brilliant idea of a stoner or of an eight-year-old child who realized there's no offsides rule in basketball, and decided there's probably a way to exploit that. Vivek, here's one for free: what if four teams held hands in a circle around the guy dribbling the ball up the court, so no defenders could get to him? Boosh—I just revolutionized basketball."

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Moose starting 5 (as projected by ESPN)

PG: MCW
SG: K. J. McDaniels
SF: Hollis Thompson
PF: Nerlens Noel
C: Henry Sims

good god, I didn't think it was possible to have a lineup worse than last season's.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

LOL-Kings

"If you're a basketball fan, you've probably already read Zach Lowe's tiered NBA rankings. If you're not, toward the bottom there's an aside about a wonderfully wackadoo bit of proposed strategy that might turn you into a fan.
Owner Vivek Ranadivé has pitched the idea to the team's brain trust of playing 4-on-5 defense and leaving one player to cherry-pick, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter. The Kings aren't actually going to do that, but their D-League might, and it shows Ranadivé is committed to pushing boundaries in his search for an offbeat brand of "position-less" ball.
I don't care that any halfway competent team would carve up a four-man zone, and probably beat these Kings by 80. (This defense would probably be effective against the Kings, who don't have more than a couple players worth guarding anyway.) I don't care that you'd probably have DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay get into a fistfight over who got to hang out under the opponent's basket.
All I care about is that Vivek Ranadivé is apparently crazy, yet still determined to give advice to his basketball people. That bodes well for the Kings' entertainment value in the coming years.
This is the brilliant idea of a stoner or of an eight-year-old child who realized there's no offsides rule in basketball, and decided there's probably a way to exploit that. Vivek, here's one for free: what if four teams held hands in a circle around the guy dribbling the ball up the court, so no defenders could get to him? Boosh—I just revolutionized basketball."

Nba live 05 in the hive strategy

MSUFanatic

@goblue96

fly pelican fly

B1CjB1wIUAAK7WS.jpg:large

Now I'm a big Asik fan, but the fact that the Pelicans obviously feel he is good enough to belong on a poster is not a good sign.

MSUFanatic

LOL-Kings

That guy is probably a borderline genius he might be onto something.

evil1

Predictions?

West
1 Clippers
2 Spurs
3 Warriors
4 Thunder
5 Mavericks
6 Blazers
7 Rockets
8 Pelicans

I don't think the Clippers are the best team but I think San Antonio will coast through the regular season, rest their stars, and settle for the #2 seed. OKC will slip just enough during the regular season until Durant comes back, thus letting the Clippers steal the #1 seed and the Warriors get the #3 seed.

Dallas should improve over last year, plus they have the second best coach in the NBA.
The Blazers didn't make any major moves but I think Lillard continues to improve. However, this team won't advance further in the ranks until they address their bench.
From an overall talent point of view, I think the Rockets took a step backward from last year (lost Asik, Lin and Parson but only added Ariza in return).
The Grizzles are solid but they are getting older, more injury prone, and do not have a bench to allow them to absorb any significant injuries. I think one or more of their top three gets injured allowing the Pelicans (the best of the next tier) to make the playoffs.

Extra special shout out to the Thunder (not in a good way). They had the most frustrating off season of any team (well, minus Miami). They are a championship contender with Durant-Westbrook-Ibaka but yet they made no significant moves to help their odds. Sorry, but Anthony Marrow is not going to make that much of a difference. The sad part is that they didn't need to make any huge moves. A couple of additional mid-level type veterans would have made a significant difference. Hell, a Chris Kaman signing could have helped this team. The only reason why they didn't make any such moves is because they are afraid to enter the luxury tax. But doing so wouldn't hurt the franchise. So they make $15 million profit instead of $29 million. It is frustrating to see them this close to the championship and not have the ownership be willing to add one or two more small pieces.

Here is a scary thought for you OKC fans. What if Westbrook plays his ass off for the next month and a half and OKC still struggles. He is going to take a ton of (unfair) flack. Scott Brooks could get eventually fired. Add to that the unwillingness of the team to spend money and the appearance that OKC may be stuck where they are at. Doesn't that greatly increase the chance of Westbrook saying screw this and leaving in free agency to a team that is begging to have him (Lakerzzzz)? I think it is more important for OKC to have a good start than they realize.

East
1 Bulls
2 Cavs
3 Sorcerers
4 Raptors
5 Hornets
6 Heat
7 Nets
8 Hawks

Defense still matters. I don't know if a team that didn't have a top 10 caliber defense has won either the Eastern or Western Conference Finals in almost a decade. Accordingly, I think Chicago will win the #1 seed and make it through to the NBA Finals. For all of the offensive firepower Cleveland boasts, they look like they will be horrible on defense. They are closer to the bottom third on defense than they are to the top third. Plus, I don't think they have a particularly deep bench and their #2 through 4 players have never even been to the playoffs. That is going to catch up to them. On the flip side, the Bulls have been a scrappy playoff team for the last two years without Derrick Rose or Pau Gasol. Give me the Bulls over the Cavs.

As for the rest of the East, it isn't nearly as bad as it was last year. While they don't have very many really good teams outside of Chicago and Cleveland, most of the mediocre teams and bad teams have gotten better. Except Philadelphia. Oh dear lord they are going to be bad. Thank goodness the lottery doesn't award bonus points for margin of defeat.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
My fan allegiance goes where Westbrook goes. You're dead on with the thunder @evil1. Worst thing they did is spend a first round pick on a guy they won't let play haha, they really are ridiculous