• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 MLB Thread: No Noodles

S

Sink

You better not be talking shit about my friend Adam Dunn. He is the man! Who gives a crap about AVG anyway. His OBP was always pretty good. And more importantly, chicks the dig the long ball.

Haha, not talking shit about him. I was just surprised he hadn't managed that particular feat yet. As you can see, he sure got close.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Don't mess with the Easter Bunny.

c6r8jvloz0jaror99oja.gif

Billy Hamilton's speed to first in graphic form:

saqzkfjopt863vygkuys.gif

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Between "unwritten rules" and an ever-changing strike zone depending on the umpire and his mood, this sport sucks.

-YTC

Wooly

I would favor trying to move to an automated strike zone, an electronic one. I think something like that would really improve the sport. I do think umps have gotten better since there are some programs to analyze their calls with imaging and computers, like K Zone, but it still needs a lot of work.

Renegade

Charge on!
Where art thou Brian McCann? The Pirates and Brewers need educating on those unwritten rules.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it's Carlos Gomez that keeps being involved in incidents. Also, he suddenly became a power hitter when he goes to Milwaukee and starts playing alongside Roid Braun...hmm. Guy had never hit for power until then, never even breaking double digits in the minors, and now he's a 20+ HR guy?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I don't think it's a coincidence that it's Carlos Gomez that keeps being involved in incidents. Also, he suddenly became a power hitter when he goes to Milwaukee and starts playing alongside Roid Braun...hmm. Guy had never hit for power until then, never even breaking double digits in the minors, and now he's a 20+ HR guy?

Braun's good stuff would have turned Gomez's triple into a home run. Braun has to stop holding dat good stuff back. Gotta think of the team. :laughing:

osick87

Community Liaison

Could also be he's entering his prime years. AND... takes 5 minutes to look at Home/Away splits..you know that Miller park is a fucking band box right?

Some guys are just late bloomers. Jose Bautista for one. I mean it could be HGH but it could also be natural. I usually give guys the benefit of the doubt. It might be because I'm Canadian or maybe it's because I try to look for other reasons than the lazy "must be roids" argument. Do better Plaschke.

Renegade

Charge on!
Could also be he's entering his prime years. AND... takes 5 minutes to look at Home/Away splits..you know that Miller park is a fucking band box right?

Some guys are just late bloomers. Jose Bautista for one. I mean it could be HGH but it could also be natural. I usually give guys the benefit of the doubt. It might be because I'm Canadian or maybe it's because I try to look for other reasons than the lazy "must be roids" argument. Do better Plaschke.

Bautista was a late bloomer because the Blue Jays adjusted his swing with the timing step. He always had the power, but he just never made enough contact for the power to be valuable. The splits are one thing, but he never hit more than 8 homers even in the minors. The park factor on Miller Park for HR is 1.2. It's the 5th easiest park to hit a HR in, but I don't see that alone explaining a change from 8-10 HRs to 20+ for a guy who's 26. If he had started hitting for power at 22, then ok, but unless there's been some adjustment in his swing that would generate more power at 26, then I think it's questionable.

Renegade

Charge on!
I like how pissed people get about steroids but Tampa Bay has a rapist in their bullpen and nobody cares.

I was unaware of that. Didn't the Rays also sign some wife beater a few years back after he was released by his organization? I think maybe it was the Astros, but the player's name escapes me.

S

Sink

So I have a stupid question. Back during the last expansion, how did the Devil Rays and Diamondbacks stock their farm systems? I know there was the draft where each team picked 35 players, but for the life of me I can't find out how they stocked their minor league teams. Please help me Obi-Wan Nutopia, you are my only hope.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Yeah I don't know the full story but I would assume they didn't have a full minor league system those first couple years but probably had at least a couple teams.

Lloyd Carr

Solarte had some awesome defensive plays last night. I enjoy watching him play.

He stunk at the plate, but I wouldn't expect him to hit well every game. It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to some bad offensive games.

Lloyd Carr

Also, you could just feel that HR coming from Ortiz in the 4th. I was watching and it was like I could tell he was going to hit one.

Other than that quick 1-2 punch in the 4th, Tanaka was awesome again last night.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I just like that it was a 'bad' game for Tanaka and he still did pretty damn good.

Nova is getting TJS though. Welcome John Vidal Nuno.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
I was unaware of that. Didn't the Rays also sign some wife beater a few years back after he was released by his organization? I think maybe it was the Astros, but the player's name escapes me.
Haha. Julio Lugo. He got arrested for smashing his wife's face into his hood or something retarded.

Lloyd Carr

Just tuned into the Yankees game. Pineda ejected for having pine tar on his neck.

Two games in a row he's been caught using pine tar. How do you let that happen as a coach? Why do you do that as a player?

Plotty

Tath Meacher
KC stunk it up in Cleveland. Bad. Yesterday's fame was utterly atrocious, cannot take a pitch to save our life. No damn way Corey fucking kluber should have 11ks and throw a complete game of 101 pitches. Have to sweep Baltimore this weekend.

ZackMills

Have mercy
He didn't just go to the highest bidder?

I was surprised by the amount of boos. Give the guy a standing O his first AB, then boo him if you want.

Lloyd Carr

It's not even worth watching this game.

Yankees are going to lose. It's raining. There are no fans in the stadium. The fans that are there are retards (still booing Cano in the 8th inning).