• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'd ask in the reading thread but I want people to actually see this question.

Favorite basketball books? College or NBA, doesn't matter.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
  • The Book of Basketball - You captured this one pretty well in the ESPN sucks thread.
  • The Breaks of the Game
  • Pistol
  • Loose Balls - In fact, I need to read this one again. I forgot how good it was. Makes me wish I was able to see basketball in the ABA days.
-YTC

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
511Pgbmda1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

evil1

th

Calls Jerry Sloan a notorious flopper and when asked how to play defense against Jerry West, his response: "pray".

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
ayylmao

I'ma put this here because I think the board can't take more simmons in the ESPN thread, especially something good about him. I thought this was great, he's always at his best when he's focusing on a certain player IMO. The whole article is great, it reminded me of a bunch of classics that I had forgotten. This part da bess tho

So … should Duncan retire? If it feels like a sports movie moment, that’s because it’s basically the plot in For Love of the Game, everyone’s favorite baseball movie that’s locked in the basement of a reprehensible romance drama. Like everyone else, I devour the baseball scenes and hate-watch the Kelly Preston scenes. I love watching Billy Chapel (Costner) go for the perfect game while muttering to himself like a lunatic. I love the “I love you, Mickey Hart!” scene. I love Vin Scully. I love Costner’s buddy on the other team who sold out and joined the Yankees. I love watching John C. Reilly pretending to be a catcher. I love the moment when Costner realizes he has a perfect game going. I love Vern Schillinger Whiplash Simmons as Costner’s manager. I love “Clear the mechanism.”

And I really love one particular moment, right near the end, when Chapel realizes that everything hurts too much. That he doesn’t want to pitch for anyone else. That he’s too expensive to keep but too stubborn to switch teams. Everything just falls into place for him during that game. He doesn’t want to pitch anymore. He wants to leave on a high. And in the best scene of the movie, he fights off the tears in the dugout, scribbles something on a baseball and sends it up to the team’s president with the game still unfolding.

“Tell them I’m through — For love of the game, Billy Chapel.”

Always gets me. Well, couldn’t you see Duncan leaving that way next month? No press conference, no fanfare, no farewell tour, no exit interviews. Just tell ’em I’m done. How does someone even reach that point? Nineteen out of 20 times in basketball, a legend’s body makes the choice for him: Bird, Magic, Jordan, Shaq, Hakeem, Barkley, Malone, Elgin … you can keep going and going. But that 20th time, that’s when it gets complicated. Now it’s a mental thing. When you know it’s time to go, it’s not about the games, the locker rooms, the camaraderie, the charter planes and the salaries anymore. All of that stuff makes you want to keep playing, actually.

But preparing to play — that’s the culprit.

It’s the mental burden that saps you. You start missing your freedom. You have to eat a certain way, sleep a certain way, prepare a certain way. You learn to dread those mornings after back-to-backs. You hate those early wakeup calls, hate being at the gym for hours by yourself, hate working on things that you already learned a million years ago. You already peaked, and you know it, so it’s all about killing yourself so you can be 70 percent as good as you once were. You have young dudes coming at you left and right, always looking to prove themselves, doing anything possible to put themselves on the map against you. Shit, you could see it with Blake Griffin in Round 1. He didn’t just want to win, he wanted to take it to Duncan. Again and again and again.

So it’s not about one more year. It’s about 18 of them, and how they add up and start subtracting from the current product.

Could the Spurs have beaten the Clips with a healthier Parker? Will free agency help? Will Kawhi make The Leap? Could Duncan have blocked that CP3 shot? Did he get there in time? Was he a split second late? Did his brain see it coming, completely and totally, only his body couldn’t quite get there?

I bet Duncan is asking himself all of these things. He will disappear this summer, like he always does. Some time before July 1, he will share his plan with the Spurs. Only Duncan knows if it will be one year too early. I just know that he’s one of the best basketball players I have ever seen. I hope he comes back. And I hope he doesn’t come back.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-tim-duncan-question/

Brick

hahah. lol at him projecting his feelings on duncan.
It’s the mental burden that saps you. You start missing your freedom. You have to eat a certain way, sleep a certain way, prepare a certain way. You learn to dread those mornings after back-to-backs. You hate those early wakeup calls, hate being at the gym for hours by yourself, hate working on things that you already learned a million years ago. You already peaked, and you know it, so it’s all about killing yourself so you can be 70 percent as good as you once were. You have young dudes coming at you left and right, always looking to prove themselves, doing anything possible to put themselves on the map against you. Shit, you could see it with Blake Griffin in Round 1. He didn’t just want to win, he wanted to take it to Duncan. Again and again and again.
this could have been written like seven years ago.

he thinks sports is a soap opera. he also doesn't realize that movies are nothing like real life. he can never make that connection. movie analogies suck. i can imagine duncan reading this: "hagay"

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I've always been fascinated by the whole retirement thing for great players. I also love-hate For the Love of the Game.

Plus I was up all night and took a bunch of adderal so I'm more sentimental than usual.

I also read Lowe's column on KD going to Washington and I kind of want him to now. It'd suck from the "I live an hour and a half from two of the best guards in the NBA" perspective, but for the league as a whole it'd be really fun to watch. That would guarantee the Lake Show being back in the fun to watch category in 2018 too. Seeing KD and Lebron against each other in the conference finals every year doesn't hurt either.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
hahah. lol at him projecting his feelings on duncan.

this could have been written like seven years ago.

he thinks sports is a soap opera. i can imagine duncan reading this: "hagay"

7 years ago? Coming off their 2007 Shampship? Nah b. Maybe 4 years ago after the Mavericks beat them, or 3 years ago when the Thudner beat them. Or last year when they lost to the Heat, but people did write that stuff then. Now he's 39, how many bigs make it that long?

Maybe Tim loves the tedious work that goes into preparing for a season, that's the only way he'd say hagay. Everything Simmons' listed is average at best when you're 20, at 39 I'm sure going in for 2 hours of ball handling and crab moves doesn't quite sound as fun.

Brick

7 years ago? Coming off their 2007 Shampship? Nah b. Maybe 4 years ago after the Mavericks beat them, or 3 years ago when the Thudner beat them. Or last year when they lost to the Heat, but people did write that stuff then. Now he's 39, how many bigs make it that long?
this is a simmons nerd-sperg response. "like seven" does not refer to actual years. cool, you know nba history.

which begs the question: how do each of those events mirror brad pitt's career arc?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
this is a simmons nerd-sperg response. "like seven" does not refer to actual years. cool, you know nba history.

which begs the question: how do each of those events mirror brad pitt's career arc?

Okay, well "like seven" is what? Ages 30-35? Is that an acceptable range for like? He wasn't near done at any of those ages. Past 36 is when it's really been brought up. All of those years they asked if the spurs were done because collectively they started too many old guys (Manu and Tony were the main ones, not Tim). Then Tony had great years and has since fallen off a cliff.

Stop being deadspin.

Brick

all i meant by it was people have been calling them/him dead for years.

So … should Duncan retire? If it feels like a sports movie moment, that’s because it’s basically the plot in For Love of the Game, everyone’s favorite baseball movie that’s locked in the basement of a reprehensible romance drama.

this fucking ARTICLE is a reprehensible romance drama about tim duncan and basketball. just like the scene he mentions in the movie. oh the irony.

oh tim, just leave her without saying goodbye. it's too hard!

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
That's a good half a movie. I really don't mind it, but it's not the plot for The Love of the Game tho. Much different, Chapel was shit and the owners wanted to trade him. Strike for Bill on that.

Duncan is the first legit top 10 player that I've watched my whole life after Shaq. Nobody cared about Shaq retiring, he was out of shape and terrible. This is kind of a big deal for NBA fans, he's the best PF ever in my opinion and I've been watching him since he was at Wake Forest. Sports are easy to romanticize about and of course it's stupid if you look at it emotionless. People try to give deeper meaning to things all the time which I know is the root of your hate. I still like reading it though. When women read romance novels, I read romanticized NBA columns.. Guilty pleasures

If Duncan just called Pop and told him he was done and that was it, it would be pretty cray. It'd be all you ever wanted from people.

Reactions: bjc

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Fuuuuuuuuuck. Tony Parker is signed until 2018? He needs to retire if Tim does for San Antonio's sake.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Spurs beat writers seem to think DUncan coming back is a sure thing. Ginobili retiring seemed like a lock too.

Brick

Didn't notice until just now that the old/new hawks logo is a hawk and not a weird backwards C pacman thing. Has tricked me all ma'life Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
all i meant by it was people have been calling them/him dead for years.

So … should Duncan retire? If it feels like a sports movie moment, that’s because it’s basically the plot in For Love of the Game, everyone’s favorite baseball movie that’s locked in the basement of a reprehensible romance drama.

this fucking ARTICLE is a reprehensible romance drama about tim duncan and basketball. just like the scene he mentions in the movie. oh the irony.

oh tim, just leave her without saying goodbye. it's too hard!
I'm a huge baseball fan and I hated that movie. In fact, I don't know any baseball fans who do like it. Classic Simmons is a d-bag article. Starts comparing a retiring athlete to his dad retiring from being a school worker? Who the fuck cares?

The problem with what Simmons has become is he makes very good points throughout his article that are like finding flakes of gold in a giant piece of shit. Like the point about Duncan playing on one leg. It's subtle but if you watch closely you can see him dragging a leg up the court. But there is so much shit around the gold that you have to sift through it.

I thought the last two games was how the Warriors-Grizzles series would be more like. They just have too much scoring for the Grizz to keep up. Something that is interesting: The Dubs hadn't been held under 100 at home since December. They've been held under in 3 of 5 playoff games thus far. Tonight they just dominated them and actually missed a ton of open looks. Defensively this team is really damn good. They have so many guys who can defend multiple positions/are smart/can double down low that it's really hard to score on them if you're Memphis and can't shoot the 3.

evil1

The Wizards - Hawks game was unspectacular for the most part, but it redeemed itself in the final seconds again. Memo to the Atlanta Hawks, if you are on defense on a last second shot scenario, you may want to guard Paul Pierce.

Golden State has regained their form. I think that is all she wrote for that series.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
This is a dumpster fire in Chicago.

Bulls are so shitty on offense. Story of last 5 years.

Dellavediva gonna carry mash unit cavs to series close out.

MSUFanatic

Thibs may not make it out of the gym tonight with his job. Fair or not getting shit on by nearly 30 at home in a win or go home situation and making Dellavadova look like Aussie Steph Curry may give the unruly front office their in to send him packing.

evil1

The most remarkable thing about the Rockets comeback was the fact that it happened with James Harden on the bench. I wonder if the Clippers have been so focused on stopping James Harden that they didn't know how to react when the Rockets weren't running their offense through Harden.