• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

Bucksin04

Think I've posted this before but it bears repeating.

Since 1980, at least one of the following players has appeared in EVERY NBA Finals: Kobe, Wade, Duncan, Hakeem, Jordan, Isiah, Bird, Magic.

That streak obviously comes to an end if the Spurs fail to make the Finals this year (or if MIA fails to go on the greatest upset run through the playoffs ever).

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Wesley Matthews out for the season with a torn achilles. I need a hug.
damn that is no bueno. A ruptured achilles right before free agency. I hope the cat still gets paid, he deserves it

for the team, good thing they bought that Afflalo insurance policy

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni

Since 1980, at least one of the following players has appeared in EVERY NBA Finals: Kobe, Wade, Duncan, Hakeem, Jordan, Isiah, Bird, Magic.

That streak obviously comes to an end if the Spurs fail to make the Finals this year (or if MIA fails to go on the greatest upset run through the playoffs ever).

We were a blood clot away!

Mame YO

slings rocks
Yeah afflalo will soften the blow but it would've been nice to keep that scoring punch off the bench. Now the blazers are relying on McCollum, wright and maybe Gee to play meaningful playoff minutes.

This also means no small ball with lillard/Matthews/afflalo/batum/Aldridge (or Lopez, Kaman). They used that against OKC and it looked like a solid lineup regardless of which big was in, especially so with Aldridge.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Wouldn't LeBron be included?

PSUEagle

Fucking OKC, mang.

Need to pull more of these nail biters out so the Sixers get their pick this year. They're so close to passing Washington, but everytime they've had a chance to surge ahead they lose:(

Bucksin04

Wouldn't LeBron be included?

I had LeBron and Shaq in the original post but since Wade was on the 2006 and 2011-14 Miami teams, I could replace both of them with Wade. No need to include LeBron for the time being because having Duncan and Wade accounts for every Finals that LeBron has ever been in.

As a follow up, Steve Kerr, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Ray Allen, or Mike Miller have been in every NBA Finals since 1994 with the exception of 2006.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Got my RUSSY stardust shirt finally

RussyStardust_Tee.png

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I'm not worried. My love for RUSS transcends team loyalty. I'll cheer for that fucker even if he's a Clipper.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Clips used to be in San Diego. U traitorous b

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Sterling bought them and moved them to LA. Probably the last guy to leave SD for that shithole.

colb

Loved this comment:

It's just impossible not to love Westbrook. I'm a Warrior fan and keep hoping he and the other MVP candidates will slip so my guy will win MVP, but when I watch him it just brings such a ridiculous smile to my face. The fierce rebounds at 6'1", the insane dashes down court, the hammer-down dunks, the adjustment to the face mask while staring down the backboard for getting in his way, the airballs followed by wild attempts to steal the ball from whoever reboudned, the 200-mile an hour assists, the split double-team dribble ahead followed by an insane stretch layup, how can you not be endlessly entertained? It's like he ate the raw hearts of 200 warriors and now has their strength.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Used to be Westbrook was just thudnerfan jizzinpants good. Now he's nbafan jizzinpants good. WELCOME

GuyIncognito

The argument for Westbrook as MVP: The player with the most memorable games and moments.

Russell is, for the moment at least, the league’s leading scorer. His recent streak of four triple-doubles in a row is the longest streak of triple-doubles since the great Michael Jeffrey Jordan had seven straight in 1989. Russ is averaging 34.3 points, 10.2 rebounds, and 11.4 assists over his last 10 games. His 49-point, 15-rebound, 10-assist nuclear detonation against the Sixers on March 4, after sitting out one game with a hole in his face, is tied with back-brace-era Larry Bird for the highest-point-total triple-double since 1985.

Westbrook is an engine that transmutes real and/or imagined slights into rage, and rage into pure athletic force. He has three modes of play: attack mode, super-attack mode, and Death Star. In his current run of form, Westbrook is an appointment-viewing player for his innate ability torampage 94 feet like the Mongols sweeping onto the plains of Russia.

There’s the hint of a shadow underneath these pyrotechnics, in that luck, logic, and the existence of Derrick Rose1 would suggest it’s biologically improbable that Westbrook’s ostensibly human physiology can sustain this level of play. Westbrook may evolve into a more polished player, but I don’t know if it’s possible that he could become more devastating.

Russell Westbrook is your MVP if: You have extremely detailed road-rage fantasies and loved John Wick, or have strong feelings about specific Call of Duty maps.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-mvp-steph-curry-russell-westbrook-james-harden/

GuyIncognito

More RUSS for borck

When someone averages 33.1 PPG, 10.1 RPG and 11.2 APG over a 10-game span, you learn to live with the odd turnover or iffy shot from the field. Right? Elias says Russell Westbrook and Michael Jordan are the only two players in the last 50 years to hit those levels over 10 games.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
The Thunder might not even make the playoffs. He ain't gonna win MVP. As good as RUSS has been playing, it just shows you how really valuable Lebron has been over his career. That Cavs team he was on originally was way fucking worse than the Thunder and he took them to the best record in the league.

Now I hate Lebron, though. bitch maid.

Brick

The Thunder might not even make the playoffs. He ain't gonna win MVP. As good as RUSS has been playing, it just shows you how really valuable Lebron has been over his career. That Cavs team he was on originally was way fucking worse than the Thunder and he took them to the best record in the league.

Now I hate Lebron, though. bitch maid.
i dunno. when ur second best player is serge fucking ibaka.

steph curry is immensely fun to watch every possession. russ just a sportscenter top ten basic bitch pick.

Tailback U

Russ is one of the most explosive athletes I've ever seen but he lacks creativity because of it. He either attacks the rim or just pulls up and hits the J because defenders give him so much room.

Curry makes the Warriors so much better because of everything he can do. His ball handling, passing, and left hand have gotten so much better this year. He can hurt you from anywhere on the court...no discredit to Russ but if you watch his highlights they are all (impressive but) the same.

Not saying the MVP award should take this into consideration, just stating the differences between the two and im obviously biased since im a Warriors fan and live in the Bay Area so I get to see him play every other night.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
That's a HOTTAKE tailback but that's the point. It's like nebraska telling you they're running up the middle every time and they do it. RUSS needs no creativity, he only needs ball and score

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I'm not even sure Steph Curry is the most important player on his own team.
Please tell me this is some sort of sarcasm/meme/joke post... No one is close to Curry on the Warriors.

I agree with TBU but I'm biased as well. Warriors are easily a better offensive team than OKC and it's not like Curry is surrounded by the most offensive talent in the NBA. Bogut is basically just putting in dunks, Barnes can only shoot corner 3s/drive, Green is limited offensively player while Klay is a very good offensive player but really doesn't do much good passing. So Curry really runs the show for the best offense in the league. That should be worth something.

MSUFanatic

Serious question, but Steph Curry is actually having a slightly worse year statistically than he did last year so why is that this year he is in the conversation for MVP and last year I didn't really hear anything about him? Obviously, part of the Warriors record, but if he was so awesome why didn't his team reflect that? The same argument can be made for Russ currently, but the topic is on Curry right now. Personally, I think there are many other reasons why the Warriors are more successful than just Curry's play which is why I don't personally think he's my MVP currently.

MSUFanatic

Please tell me this is some sort of sarcasm/meme/joke post... No one is close to Curry on the Warriors.

I agree with TBU but I'm biased as well. Warriors are easily a better offensive team than OKC and it's not like Curry is surrounded by the most offensive talent in the NBA. Bogut is basically just putting in dunks, Barnes can only shoot corner 3s/drive, Green is limited offensively player while Klay is a very good offensive player but really doesn't do much good passing. So Curry really runs the show for the best offense in the league. That should be worth something.

I'm talking about importance not talent. Steph Curry is by far the most talented, but I think if you were to remove Curry from the Warriors they would be able to survive. It's just an opinion no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Also give me a break about how Curry isn't surrounded by offensive talent. Westbrook is running with Kyle Singler, and Nick Collison currently. The Warriors are running with one of the best 2 guards in the game, and one of the best all-around players in the league in Draymond Green. The talent level without KD on the floor is apples to oranges (Warriors v. OKC).

doh

Serious question, but Steph Curry is actually having a slightly worse year statistically than he did last year so why is that this year he is in the conversation for MVP and last year I didn't really hear anything about him? Obviously, part of the Warriors record, but if he was so awesome why didn't his team reflect that? The same argument can be made for Russ currently, but the topic is on Curry right now. Personally, I think there are many other reasons why the Warriors are more successful than just Curry's play which is why I don't personally think he's my MVP currently.
Who cares about last year? The Warriors are the best team in the NBA, Curry runs the point for the best offense in the NBA and completely changes every game he's in. The way teams have to play him on the pick and roll or just in general extending and double teaming him is a complete game changer. They lead the league in TS% and assist % because so many trips teams are scrambling around after their defense extends to try and stop him. I've never seen anything like how teams try to play the Warriors because of Steph's shooting/ball handling.

Now some of the improvement has to do with Kerr being a 100x better offensive coach than Jackson. I think the Warriors led the league in trips that ended in isolation plays last year and this year they're passing the ball a lot more.

I do think LeBron is still the best player in the NBA by a wide margin though. I just like Curry for MVP over him because of the fact he didn't take a 3 week vacation this season.

I'm talking about importance not talent. Steph Curry is by far the most talented, but I think if you were to remove Curry from the Warriors they would be able to survive. It's just an opinion no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Then who is even close to Curry's importance on the Warriors? They played a game without him and lost to the Pacers.

EDIT: Didn't look up his numbers til now but Curry has better PPG, APG, RPG, STL, TOV per 36 minutes and a better FG% so I'm not sure his numbers are slightly worse. They're slightly better at most places and a lot better defensively.

MSUFanatic

Who cares about last year? The Warriors are the best team in the NBA, Curry runs the point for the best offense in the NBA and completely changes every game he's in. The way teams have to play him on the pick and roll or just in general extending and double teaming him is a complete game changer. They lead the league in TS% and assist % because so many trips teams are scrambling around after their defense extends to try and stop him. I've never seen anything like how teams try to play the Warriors because of Steph's shooting/ball handling.

Now some of the improvement has to do with Kerr being a 100x better offensive coach than Jackson. I think the Warriors led the league in trips that ended in isolation plays last year and this year they're passing the ball a lot more.

I do think LeBron is still the best player in the NBA by a wide margin though. I just like Curry for MVP over him because of the fact he didn't take a 3 week vacation this season.

Then who is even close to Curry's importance on the Warriors? They played a game without him and lost to the Pacers.

EDIT: Didn't look up his numbers til now but Curry has better PPG, APG, RPG, STL, TOV per 36 minutes and a better FG% so I'm not sure his numbers are slightly worse. They're slightly better at most places and a lot better defensively.

We are going to use PER 36 to compare stats? Damn, didn't know that I guess I switch my vote Jack Cooley who is averaging 72 points per game per 36.

doh

We are going to use PER 36 to compare stats? Damn, didn't know that I guess I switch my vote Jack Cooley who is averaging 72 points per game per 36.
It's a pretty simple observation that Curry's overall stats are down because he's playing less. But yeah he isn't the most valuable player on the Warriors :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well if we really are going most valuable, what the hell would the Thudner look like if KD was out and Russ wasn't on the team? Both the Warriors and the Thudner would suck, but who would suck harder tho? Can your team suck a golf ball through a garden hose? Mine can

Heisman06

I miss the Heat being good. I've still watched 80% of the games, further proving how trog I really am. This team is scrappy, though. I love to watch em compete. Wish we could've seen what it looked like at 100%.

Hopefully we re-sign Dragic, get Bosh and McRoberts healthy for next season and add some young pieces in Free agency.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I miss the Heat being good. I've still watched 80% of the games, further proving how trog I really am. This team is scrappy, though. I love to watch em compete. Wish we could've seen what it looked like at 100%.

Hopefully we re-sign Dragic, get Bosh and McRoberts healthy for next season and add some young pieces in Free agency.
Was hoping you were going to post but I like the Cole deal. He's had a couple of bad games offensively with the major one being the second revenge game against the Heat in NOLA but defensively, he just adds so many things you can't put on the stat sheet.

I like the kid the heat have that is playing Center iirc. Whitehead maybe? I think he will be a solid player for years to come. Looks very raw offensively but has a bet high motor when it comes to blocking/changing shots and rebounding

colb

Shut up. This is the RUSS vs Glass Ankles thread. No room for any other NBA discussion here.

Tailback U

Well if we really are going most valuable, what the hell would the Thudner look like if KD was out and Russ wasn't on the team? Both the Warriors and the Thudner would suck, but who would suck harder tho? Can your team suck a golf ball through a garden hose? Mine can

Without Curry, the Warriors are a playoff team instead of a championship team.

Without Russ, the thunder are not a playoff team.

Each player adds a ton of value to their team, obviously, and if Russ gets it I won't complain because what he is doing is ridiculous but if he doesn't miss another game he will finish with 67 games played.

harden is also very deserving but I think that people don't understand that Currys best attribute after his 3 point shot is moving the ball around and getting everyone involved. Harden and Russ aren't even close to Curry in that aspect.