• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

evil1

Wes Matthews will reportedly turn down huge offer (64 million) from the Kings to sign with the Mavericks.​

So in summary, the Kings traded Stauskas, a mid-first round draft pick, and two players in order to create cap space that they may not be able to use because free agents don't want to go there.

The Knicks are no longer the laughing stock of the NBA.

NML

I stand by assertion that the Errzzz are closer than the Mavericks. Dallas lost their leading rebounder in free agency as well as their top scorer and a couple of other players. Have you seen their current roster? They don't have anyone left.

Here are Dallas's top four players remaining on their roster:
Dirk Nowitzki (37 years old)
Chandler Parsons
Devin Harris
Raymond Felton (not a misprint)

Things are so bad they are considering trading for Roy Hibbert (not a misprint).

Kind of a moo point with Matthews signing, but the Lakers won 21 games last year and the Mavs won 50. Parsons and
Harris are better than anyone on LA not named Kobe - though he's barely played in two years so how can you really quantify that? Dirk > Kobe right now no doubt though.

LA lost everyone too - who's the best player other than Kobe? Swaggy P probably then maybe Julius Randle and his 1 career game. Russell may be good but we don't know.

evil1

Unless Mavs renege on their offer to Matthews, the DeAndre Jordan signing takes them out of the running for Aldridge. They would have to clear out at least an additional $16 million in cap space.

Now that the Clippers have a hole at center, I think they would be wise to take a look at free agent Kosta Kofous. He won't win you any games, but he can neutralize or break even with the other team's center.

Something that has crossed my mind is whether teams would be willing to help competitors land marquee free agents. Earlier it was suggested that San Antonio could trade Boris Diaw to Cleveland for Brendan Haywood's non-guaranteed contract, which would free up enough space to sign Aldridge. But San Antonio is a team that could easily beat Cleveland in next year's Finals. If you are Cleveland, do you help San Antonio get better?

Likewise Phoenix could sign Aldridge if they can dump salary as part of sign and trade with Dallas as part of signing Tyson Chandler. Would Dallas really be willing to help them out? Would Dallas help them out if it meant Aldridge would go to Phoenix instead of San Antonio or Houston? Hmmmm.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
In defense of the Kings, they absolutely have to try and win now or Boogie is going to demand a trade/be a pain in the ass. He's going to be a FA in 2018 so I guess he can't just walk as of yet. If they really think he's a top 10 player then IMO you either try to win now or trade him away and blow everything up.

The Kings are just in a shit situation for FAs. CA has a high tax. They're in one of the least desirable NBA markets.

I kinda think this whole off-season is a last ditch effort to keep and build around Cousins. Maybe it's the wrong play and they should've blown it up but with the new arena, I don't think they can afford not to be making money and competitive.

PSUEagle

Am I the only loser watching Summer League? Heat vs. Pacers is on right now on NBATV.

How's Winslow look? And Richardson (who a lot of analytic types really like)?

Think ya'll got a steal in Justise: I was cursing up a blue storm when he fell that Miami couldn't win one more game last season.

Heisman06

How's Winslow look? And Richardson (who a lot of analytic types really like)?

Think ya'll got a steal in Justise: I was cursing up a blue storm when he fell that Miami couldn't win one more game last season.

Looked solid. Wasn't their best shooting day but both did a good job of attacking the basket and drawing fouls/FT's. Both showed what we expected on defense. Justise had a couple nice rips/tie-ups.

Miami's summer league team should be pretty competitive. Tyler Johnson and James Ennis saw minutes last season in Miami then you have Zoran Dragic, Winslow, Richardson and PF Willie Reed (I'm a big fan). Throw in Travis Trice and gundyfat.gif Josh Smith for the lulz and you have quality summer entertainment.

PSUEagle

Looked solid. Wasn't their best shooting day but both did a good job of attacking the basket and drawing fouls/FT's. Both showed what we expected on defense. Justise had a couple nice rips/tie-ups.

Miami's summer league team should be pretty competitive. Tyler Johnson and James Ennis saw minutes last season in Miami then you have Zoran Dragic, Winslow, Richardson and PF Willie Reed (I'm a big fan). Throw in Travis Trice and gundyfat.gif Josh Smith for the lulz and you have quality summer entertainment.

Thanks.

Did I really see Hassan Whiteside's name on that roster? Surprised he's playing TBH.

PSUEagle

I need a hug.

Losing Aldridge sucks (obviously), but I like everything else Portland has done sans that Aminu deal. Bringing in a lot of high upside pieces at reasonable cost while resigning Lillard. If a couple hit (like Vonleh) you've got something to go along with your upcoming lottery pick. If not, you'll be able to trade Lillard (to the 76ers?) and fetch a nice return and go full tank.

Olshey did a good job of not panicing and boxing you guys in by resigning everyone else. Blazers have options going forward.

sayo

YEET
Losing Aldridge sucks (obviously), but I like everything else Portland has done sans that Aminu deal. Bringing in a lot of high upside pieces at reasonable cost while resigning Lillard. If a couple hit (like Vonleh) you've got something to go along with your upcoming lottery pick. If not, you'll be able to trade Lillard (to the 76ers?) and fetch a nice return and go full tank.

Olshey did a good job of not panicing and boxing you guys in by resigning everyone else. Blazers have options going forward.
Yeah. I don't mind it too much. What upsets me the most is losing the entire starting unit that played so well together the last two years. That Wesley Matthews injury just tore everything apart (Blazers were 2nd in the West at the time iirc).

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Yeah. I don't mind it too much. What upsets me the most is losing the entire starting unit that played so well together the last two years. That Wesley Matthews injury just tore everything apart (Blazers were 2nd in the West at the time iirc).
Feel bad but also I'm so excited now. I hope Manu comes back.

Mame YO

slings rocks
I'm not mad at Aldridge. I hope he does well in SA. The entire blazers fanbase knew for years that if he was going to leave it'd be for a Texas team - we just all held onto the hope that the blazers could win enough games to convince him to stay. Matthews' injury doe. What a nail in the coffin.

Im not pleased with the organization right now doe. If the reports coming out about the blazers PR plan are true - asking Aldridge to make the "best blazer ever" statement, planting the Monroe story to the media - then I have an issue with the organization selling us all on false hope.

If the blazers were reel about it, the fans would understand. If the organization traded Aldridge when they had the chance, their fans would understand. There are reports coming out now saying that the blazers knew as early as last season that Aldridge wasn't likely to resign, when he didn't sign that extension it wasn't because of financial reasons... If Aldridge didn't want to stay he didn't want to stay and it's olshey's job to keep the organization moving forward. And that's just it: this is a huge asset management blunder. The #1 pick was traded for love. The blazers let Aldridge walk for nothing. You can call that a gamble, and it was, but if the organization knew Aldridge had one foot out the door they weren't making a very smart gamble and now the blazers have to rebuild. Wiggins, for example, would've softened the blow a lot.

At least NBA 2k association mode with ma'blazers will be fun

sayo

YEET
I thought the moves that were made were solid though. It doesn't look like a complete rebuild is necessary. There is talent here to work with and develop in addition to a ton of cap space going forward.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm not mad at Aldridge. I hope he does well in SA. The entire blazers fanbase knew for years that if he was going to leave it'd be for a Texas team - we just all held onto the hope that the blazers could win enough games to convince him to stay. Matthews' injury doe. What a nail in the coffin.

Im not pleased with the organization right now doe. If the reports coming out about the blazers PR plan are true - asking Aldridge to make the "best blazer ever" statement, planting the Monroe story to the media - then I have an issue with the organization selling us all on false hope.

If the blazers were reel about it, the fans would understand. If the organization traded Aldridge when they had the chance, their fans would understand. There are reports coming out now saying that the blazers knew as early as last season that Aldridge wasn't likely to resign, when he didn't sign that extension it wasn't because of financial reasons... If Aldridge didn't want to stay he didn't want to stay and it's olshey's job to keep the organization moving forward. And that's just it: this is a huge asset management blunder. The #1 pick was traded for love. The blazers let Aldridge walk for nothing. You can call that a gamble, and it was, but if the organization knew Aldridge had one foot out the door they weren't making a very smart gamble and now the blazers have to rebuild. Wiggins, for example, would've softened the blow a lot.

At least NBA 2k association mode with ma'blazers will be fun
He probably was one foot out of the door but if they had made a real run this year he probably would've resigned. A freak achilles injury killed the blazers organization

doh

I thought the moves that were made were solid though. It doesn't look like a complete rebuild is necessary. There is talent here to work with and develop in addition to a ton of cap space going forward.
Yes I don't get why you'd completely rebuild when you still have Lillard.

Also it would've been dumb to trade LA last year. Probably not getting much for him/the Matthews injury/why not try to actually win?

NML

Ed Davis will replace Aldridge really well. Good inside game, good rebounder, but no outside game. Won't be able to do the pick and pop game, but pick and roll will work.

Aldridge leaving will let a very talented Lilliard have the ball more in his hands. LA's usage rate was ridiculous.

doh

I guess Cavs could use the Hayward contract, Varejao and maybe some minor non-guarenteed deal?

And yeah LMA led the NBA in FGA last year (and shot 46%). Two years before he led the league in 2P FGA. He takes a ton of the offense and hasn't ever really shot a great %. There's value in scoring and he's a good player but it kinda seems like people have gone overboard for him this off-season. I guess he's the best of the "legit" FAs (depending on what you really think is going on with LeBron).

sayo

YEET
The Blazers offense was pretty stagnant when he was out (probably a product of the system being built around him more than anything) but I'm excited to see what they can do with him gone. Most people point to his offense, but he is a pretty good defensive big (he used to be pretty bad) and he rebounds well. The defense is going to really struggle without Lopez and Matthews.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Let's not pretend otherwise: the blazers will be a dumpster fire next season. The organization isn't doomed, but this is a major setback. It'll take some time and luck to rebound from this.

sayo

YEET
Of course there is going to be a setback. It doesn't mean they don't have players to develop. They're at least going to be a pretty athletic, young, and exciting team next season.

NML

"Dumpster fire" is a bit ridiculous. They still have one of the best 20 players in the league. Borderline playoff team in the tough west.

Ed Davis is probably my favorite cheap signing. Advanced stats love him. Going off the top of my head, but I think his defensive rating is better than LA. But he's not a stretch four so his skill set isn't as valued.

Bucksin04

TJ Ford congratulates Tristan Thompson on a new deal with the Cavs.

Brian Windhorst says deal isn't done yet.

Another chapter in the famed TJ Ford v. Brian Windhorst reporting rivalry that we will tell our grandchildren about.

evil1

Yes, with a roster hugely dependent on older, slower players I can't possibly think what could happen that might derail their title hopes.

doh

Yes, with a roster hugely dependent on older, slower players I can't possibly think what could happen that might derail their title hopes.
and depending on the carcasses of Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili to be play key minutes... Spurs going to be gr8 but I'd hardly call it a done deal. Warriors, RUSS (with a little health, any help for RUSS/KD), Grizz (if they add backcourt scoring), Rockets (if they play any defense) all have legit chances to make the WCF/Finals. I'd say with a good addition or some luck, the Clippers, Pels and Mavs could be real good... West going to be crazy. Even a young team like the Jazz who ended the season really strong could be good.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah a healthy thudner with kanter resigning is going to be formidable. Nobody is a done deal for even the second round right now

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
2016 NBA CHAMPION

Odds as of July 6 at Bovada
  • Cleveland Cavaliers 11/4
  • Golden State Warriors 9/2
  • San Antonio Spurs 9/2
  • Oklahoma City Thunder 15/2
  • Chicago Bulls 16/1
  • Dallas Mavericks 20/1
  • Houston Rockets 20/1
  • Los Angeles Clippers 20/1
  • Memphis Grizzlies 28/1
  • Atlanta Hawks 33/1
  • New Orleans Pelicans 33/1
  • Indiana Pacers 40/1
  • Miami Heat 40/1
  • Toronto Raptors 40/1
  • Washington Wizards 40/1
  • Los Angeles Lakers 50/1
  • Milwaukee Bucks 50/1
  • Boston Celtics 66/1
  • Portland Trail Blazers 75/1
  • Detroit Pistons 100/1
  • Phoenix Suns 100/1
  • Utah Jazz 100/1
  • Brooklyn Nets 150/1
  • Denver Nuggets 150/1
  • Minnesota Timberwolves 150/1
  • New York Knicks 150/1
  • Sacramento Kings 150/1
  • Charlotte Hornets 250/1
  • Orlando Magic 250/1
  • Philadelphia 76ers 250/1

I'll put a buck on the thudner, the great hope of KD resigning depends on it.