• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Um, they made the playoffs with a losing record. In the Eastern Conference. He may have done a good job with that roster, but them making the playoffs last year is not some fantastic feat.

Okay, cool, so you understand he did a great job with the talent he had.

Heisman06

With Charlotte trading for Batum and Lamb, they're likely going big man at #9. Hopefully one of the leftover wing player like Johnson or Booker falls to Miami.

NML

I have no clue where Stevens ranks in the NBA - but he's a great coach who, above all else, can and has developed young talent. But I don't think that was ever in question coming out of Butler. He seems to be a really solid X's and O's guy for it only being his second season in the pros. Other than Pop, I personally wouldn't trade it him for any coach.

@evil1 just projecting because he didn't get to get swept too. :trollface:

Going back to some comments on Love, I agree that if he truly is putting winning above all else, he will/should stay with Cleveland.

But while every player will say they want to win, he may want to win, but also be the top guy. There's certainly the structure in place for Boston to compete - between Ainge, Stevens, cap flexibility, and horde of picks. They will almost definitely be a top 4 seed in the playoffs next season if this all happens, and could add another max guy the following year too. It's an easy pitch to make to someone. If your Love and you want to be a top guy but still compete, I'm not sure what your other options are. Portland is the only that comes to mind - but if Aldridge is leaving, that's not a great selling point.

I expect that if Love resigns or goes to LA, Aldridge would be the next phone call for Ainge. They really need to get a piece this offseason. Jimmy Buckets is also an acceptable answer.

NML

If I'm reading Woj's tweets correctly, Luke Ridnour has been on four different teams in the past 30 hours :laughing:

NML

His most recent trade was to OKC, for Jeremy Lamb.

Remember when the OKC fans were convinced he was going to replace Harden? Lawd

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I think Lamb got kind of a raw deal from Brooks. He'd get some playing time, show inconsistency but also some improvement the more he got to play, and then OKC would sign some old ass free agent like Caron Butler and Lamb stopped seeing the court. Maybe he really isn't that good, but I don't think he was given enough of a chance for us to know for sure. Oh well. In any case, he prolly shouldn't have left RUSS hanging.

LOLing so hard

NML

The other rumor is that if Okafor falls to Philly at 3, Celtics are going to offer them a "monster package."

Makes sense, C's need a center and Philly definitely doesn't, though I could totally see them taking him anyways.

I don't know much about Okafor (or any college player), but what I've read is that he's an elite low post scorer, and that's it. Celtics don't push the tempo, so he fits in that aspect. Not crazy that he's 6'11" 270 and can't defend the rim.

I'm guessing the offer is 16, 28, one of the Nets picks, Smart and something else. James Young maybe?

evil1

I don't think the Celtics have enough good assets to make a Godfather offer worth the #3 pick.

Comparatively speaking, the 16th and 28th picks simply aren't worth very much. More than likely, those picks will not result in a starting caliber player. For comparison, the 16th and 28th picks in the last three drafts have resulted in Jusif Nurkic, CJ Wilcox, Lucus Nogueira, Livio JeanCharles, Royce White and Perry Jones. I wouldn't trade all of them combined for Okafor.

Boston also has Brooklyn's and Dallas's pick next year, but both of those picks also project to be in the 16-25 range. So Boston's offer is essentially going to be a bunch of borderline starters/good bench players for the #3 pick (Okafor or Russell).

sayo

YEET
I don't think the Celtics have enough good assets to make a Godfather offer worth the #3 pick.

Comparatively speaking, the 16th and 28th picks simply aren't worth very much. More than likely, those picks will not result in a starting caliber player. For comparison, the 16th and 28th picks in the last three drafts have resulted in Jusif Nurkic, CJ Wilcox, Lucus Nogueira, Livio JeanCharles, Royce White and Perry Jones. I wouldn't trade all of them combined for Okafor.

Boston also has Brooklyn's and Dallas's pick next year, but both of those picks also project to be in the 16-25 range. So Boston's offer is essentially going to be a bunch of borderline starters/good bench players for the #3 pick (Okafor or Russell).
If Smart is on the table like the rumors suggest...

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The other rumor is that if Okafor falls to Philly at 3, Celtics are going to offer them a "monster package."

Makes sense, C's need a center and Philly definitely doesn't, though I could totally see them taking him anyways.

I don't know much about Okafor (or any college player), but what I've read is that he's an elite low post scorer, and that's it. Celtics don't push the tempo, so he fits in that aspect. Not crazy that he's 6'11" 270 and can't defend the rim.nic

I'm guessing the offer is 16, 28, one of the Nets picks, Smart and something else. James Young maybe?

<nic-cage-laughing.gif>

Hinkie dumb but he ain't that dumb.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
No idea WTF the Hornets are doing

trying to win by signing proven players vs taking the draft approach.

I mean, they realize they are in the east and they need to capitalize as quickly as possible. They dont have time to develop picks

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Well I'm not convinced that Henderson and Vonleh for Batum was a good trade. Vonleh hasn't done shit yet but I feel like Henderson and Batum are about even and the Vonleh pick was based on potential anyway, so it's disappointing not to see that through a little bit.

I think Lamb has potential but looks like we're just switching around wing players for the fuck of it to me. Hornets need more explosive scorers and a mainstay at power forward. Not convinced these trades are going to help that.

Good enough maybe to be competitive in the east which means pretty much dick

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Well I'm not convinced that Henderson and Vonleh for Batum was a good trade. Vonleh hasn't done shit yet but I feel like Henderson and Batum are about even and the Vonleh pick was based on potential anyway, so it's disappointing not to see that through a little bit.

I think Lamb has potential but looks like we're just switching around wing players for the fuck of it to me. Hornets need more explosive scorers and a mainstay at power forward. Not convinced these trades are going to help that.

Michael Jeffrey Jordan is a train wreck as a Basketball front office guy. A little stability would be a nice touch, but they're always firing coaches and changing players for there to be any consistency.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I agree, MJ blows. The Hornet teams with Baron Davis, PJ Brown, and David Wesley were certainly nothing to brag about but they at least had spunk.

evil1

I think what the Hornets did is a small upgrade.

From what I can follow, they essentially traded:
Lance Stephenson (who totally didn't work in Charlotte) + Henderson + Vonleh
for
Batum (who I like a lot) + Lamb + Spencer Hawes

When all is said and done, I think Charlotte slightly improved their roster. Richard Cho (formerly of Portland and OKC) has been running the front office for the last few seasons and he seems to specialize in solid but non-splashy moves.

Reel

Community Liaison
I agree, MJ blows. The Hornet teams with Baron Davis, PJ Brown, and David Wesley were certainly nothing to brag about but they at least had spunk.

they made the playoffs in NOLA tho

Reel

Community Liaison
I think what the Hornets did is a small upgrade.

From what I can follow, they essentially traded:
Lance Stephenson (who totally didn't work in Charlotte) + Henderson + Vonleh
for
Batum (who I like a lot) + Lamb + Spencer Hawes

When all is said and done, I think Charlotte slightly improved their roster. Richard Cho (formerly of Portland and OKC) has been running the front office for the last few seasons and he seems to specialize in solid but non-splashy moves.

small = huge in the eastern conference

5th seed...calling it now

NML

If the Nets pick is 25th overall, I'll eat my own poop. That's ridiculous. The only thing they have going for them is that they are in the east. They are just getting older and were the 8 seed this year. It's likely a lottery pick.

Smart was 6th overall last year.

So a 6th, 16th, 18th and a lottery pick next season for 3rd overall. That's pretty fair.

It just depends on how they rate the middle part of the class this season and Smart vs whoever they have at the top of their board.

I really like Smart, even if he's a fairly limited player. He could be a first team all defense kind of defender if he gets more consistent. He's comfortable with the ball in his hands, he's just very limited in how he can score.

Again, don't know enough about Okafor to say what kind of player he'll be. The comparison I hear is Al Jefferson - if that's true, I like the deal for the C's.

evil1

To clarify, Brooklyn will probably be around pick 15 or 16 (how many in the East are honestly going to leapfrog them?) but I expect Dallas (Boston has Dallas's pick) to be around picks 20-25.

Marcus Smart was indeed the #6 pick last year but he proceeded to have a fairly disappointing rookie year (7.8 pts and 3.1 assists per game). While it is way too early to pass judgement on Smart, he certainly did not look like a future all-star caliber player.

So Boston's deal is still the same as I outlined: a bunch of borderline starters and mid-round picks (who likely project to be borderline starters if you are lucky) for Okafor. Of course you would like the deal for the Celtics. It is a great deal for the Celtics and a garbage deal for the 76ers.

But let's not take my word for it, let's get the opinion of Philly fans.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
To clarify, Brooklyn will probably be around pick 15 or 16 (how many in the East are honestly going to leapfrog them?) but I expect Dallas (Boston has Dallas's pick) to be around picks 20-25.

Marcus Smart was indeed the #6 pick last year but he proceeded to have a fairly disappointing rookie year (7.8 pts and 3.1 assists per game). While it is way too early to pass judgement on Smart, he certainly did not look like a future all-star caliber player.

So Boston's deal is still the same as I outlined: a bunch of borderline starters and mid-round picks (who likely project to be borderline starters if you are lucky) for Okafor. Of course you would like the deal for the Celtics. It is a great deal for the Celtics and a garbage deal for the 76ers.

But let's not take my word for it, let's get the opinion of Philly fans.

<nic-cage-laughing.gif>

Hinkie dumb but he ain't that dumb.

We've already given our opinion. That deal ain't happening.

PSUEagle

The only way Ainge is coming anywhere close to getting #3 is by including every future Brooklyn pick in addition to Smart and #16+#28. Either that, or a three way where Philly gets another Top 10 pick (Charlotte? Denver?) in addition to other Boston goodies.

I think this Russell to the Lakers talk is a smokescreen, though. Okafor will go second, Russell third, and then the fun begins with the Knicks on the clock.

Heisman06

Rumors are that Boston have traded #16 and Jared Sullinger to Charlotte for #9. Seems unconfirmed but apparently Sullinger has unfollowed the Celtics and started following the Hornets adding smoke to the fire. Heard anything @NML?

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
@Heisman06

Lay out the series of moves riley will make to cost me thousands in finals tickets next year and result a parade down biscayne blvd.

NML

Rumors are that Boston have traded #16 and Jared Sullinger to Charlotte for #9. Seems unconfirmed but apparently Sullinger has unfollowed the Celtics and started following the Hornets adding smoke to the fire. Heard anything @NML?

No chance. Even if that deal is happening, it won't be until #9 rolls around and the guy they want is available. But the deal itself is silly - no one at 9 is as good as Sully, let alone worth Sully and the 16th pick.

Also, Sully just tweeted lol-ing about it.

Heisman06

Seems to be the easiest route. I like it.

Realistically, you gotta think Miami figures it out with Wade and then re-signs Dragic. As bad as this sounds, we need Deng to opt-in unless Wade/Dragic both leave.

Miami doesn't save any money from Deng leaving to use on quality players unless erry'one leaves. If that happens, you cry, you pray that Deng leaves and just start the hell over.

If this happens, we're looking at

Dragic/Chalmers/Napier
Wade/Tyler Johnson
Deng/James Ennis
Bosh/McRoberts/Haslem
Whiteside/BirdmaN

That looks pretty good on paper. That's not winning a championship doe. The dream scenario is Riley unloads some combination of Rio/McRoberts/Birdman without giving up #10 tonight to free up cap space and to sign Wade.

evil1

I think the Lakerzzzz are seriously considering Russell at #2. Maybe they still lean towards Okafor but it is close.

I wouldn't be surprised if they draft Russell and then offer a trade to Philly. In other words, the errrzzzz preferences could be: Okafor + 2016 mid round draft pick > Russell > Okafor

PSUEagle

I think the Lakerzzzz are seriously considering Russell at #2. Maybe they still lean towards Okafor but it is close.

I wouldn't be surprised if they draft Russell and then offer a trade to Philly. In other words, the errrzzzz preferences could be: Okafor + 2016 mid round draft pick > Russell > Okafor

I think Hinkie would tell Kupchak to get bent: the Lakers aren't getting their pick back.

NML

Is Silver the only commissioner who doesn't get boo'd?

Got Twitter up as well as ESPN on a natural 5 minute delay.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
WOOOOOOOO, def a lakers pick. Going with some boring center? Nah, lemme get dat flashy guard