• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2013-14 Premier League

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Ox definitely didn't mean to pass that back, lol

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That was terrible. Low to the bottom right corner or flat across to Poldi and it's 2 up

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I like that city is still 3 matches behind

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If you want to look at it like this, their 3 matches behind are @ManU, @Arsenal, and @Pool. It'd be a stroke of luck to pull 5 points out of those games in hand.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
eyetvsnapshot2.jpg

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Captain Obvious is obvious.....but that was a bad weekend for Chelsea.

Up 9 on City w/ City having 3 games in hand just meant Chelsea had to out-do City by 1 point over the remaining stretch of the season. And that's assuming City won all those games in hand. Reasonable, from Chelsea's point of view.

Now Chelsea rely on City dropping points at least twice, and then matching/exceeding City's performances in the other games. Not to mention Arsenal and Liverpool are each just 4 points back, and both have a game in hand.

Bad for Chelsea.......but really exciting for the run-in.

Remaining games amongst those 4 teams:
Chelsea v Arsenal
Liverpool v Chelsea
Arsenal v City
Liverpool v City

2 each. Advantage Liverpool? Since they host both of their games?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I concur. Also talk of Kompany getting a longer ban, if that happens City will be fighting for a CL place and not the title.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm not 100% sure about that. Chelsea do have Arsenal and Liverpool, but their other 6 games should be 6 wins. And, really, I expect Arsenal to lose to Chelsea on Saturday.

Arsenal probably have the toughest run-in, because they also have to play away at Everton in addition to playing @ Chelsea and City. Liverpool do get the tough teams at home, but I don't think they get 6 points from playing City and Chelsea.

So, let's say for the sake of argument that Chelsea go with 6 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss. That puts them at 85 points. Liverpool would need 23 points to overcome them, Arsenal 24 (adding a point for goal differential). Both of those have 9 games left. That means Liverpool would have to win 7 and draw 2 games to overtake Chelsea. Arsenal would have to win 8 and lose 1 to overtake Chelsea, which is unlikely. So, if Chelsea holds serve, they'll be ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool. ManCity would need 25 points in 11 games to overtake Chelsea. That's much more doable - 8 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses. Their run in is the toughest, yes, but the only two games where they might not be favored are @ Arsenal and @ Liverpool. They could lose both of those and still have the title under my math.

So, I think it comes down to City and Chelsea. Whichever of those two teams drops the most points against the bad teams will lose the title. I feel like that's an obvious statement, but that's how I see it. It's between City and Chelsea, barring a great run by Liverpool or Arsenal. Liverpool are more capable than Arsenal of putting together that type of run, but I still think that's unlikely.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Deadman, I mostly agree. But "should win" obviously doesn't mean "will win." Hell, Chelsea should've won on Saturday.

I do think Chelsea will beat the Gunners at home. At Liverpool is a different hurdle though. The good news is that Chelsea have mostly played their best games against the best teams.

For to Chelsea to win the title, I think they need to win at Liverpool, and have City go through a couple/few game stretch where they can't win on the road....like they did early.

NML

Chelsea might also have to juggle UCL, while Arsenal have at least one more game in the FA Cup, and as many as three.

I'm totally fine with a top four finish for Liverpool; the title challenge is just gravy

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Chelsea might also have to juggle UCL, while Arsenal have at least one more game in the FA Cup, and as many as three.

I'm totally fine with a top four finish for Liverpool; the title challenge is just gravy

FA Cup semis don't go to replay, and the FA Cup final is after the PL is done. So I don't think the FA Cup will have that much of an effect on Arsenal.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
@Brick Deadman, I mostly agree. But "should win" obviously doesn't mean "will win." Hell, Chelsea should've won on Saturday.

I do think Chelsea will beat the Gunners at home. At Liverpool is a different hurdle though. The good news is that Chelsea have mostly played their best games against the best teams.

For to Chelsea to win the title, I think they need to win at Liverpool, and have City go through a couple/few game stretch where they can't win on the road....like they did early.

Yeah, I can see that. If Chelsea can beat everybody else besides Liverpool and Arsenal, I think they'll probably win the title. Regardless of whether they beat Liverpool and Arsenal. I really think this comes down to which of ManCity and Chelsea drop more points against the mediocre teams.

People seem overly high on Liverpool in my view. I still think their defense is a big weak link, and odds are that they can't maintain their hot streak over the remaining 9 games. ManCity and Chelsea are both more than capable of exploiting Liverpool's defense. I mean, Hazard against Flanagan? Aguero against Skrtel? Navas/Silva against Flanagan? That's a huge mismatch. Granted, City have a mismatch with Sturridge/Saurez against whatever crappy CB pairs with Kompany. I think City and Chelsea have the ability to take advantage of Liverpool.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Yeah, I can see that. If Chelsea can beat everybody else besides Liverpool and Arsenal, I think they'll probably win the title. Regardless of whether they beat Liverpool and Arsenal. I really think this comes down to which of ManCity and Chelsea drop more points against the mediocre teams.

There's nobody else on the schedule that really scares me:

Besides home to Arsenal and and at Liverpool, Chelsea have: @ Palace, Stoke, @ Swansea, Sunderland, Norwich, @ Cardiff. There are some relegation battle teams in there who will fight hard, but Chelsea have something to fight for too, so hopefully they aren't just going through the motions. Those all "should" be wins. What scares me most is some of those teams desperately needing a point to hang on, and full on parking the bus. Chelsea's defense has been stout of late, but there are games (like Villa on Saturday) where struggle to score if the other team is committed to defense.

Most of the goals have come on fast break counter attacks, usually involving Hazard. If the opposition keeps an army of bodies back, it's tough. Chelsea doesn't run a great half court offense, so to speak.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Remains to be seen if Aguero can fight off this injury bug. We all know Stevan Jovetic isn't going to anytime soon.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
There's nobody else on the schedule that really scares me:

Besides home to Arsenal and and at Liverpool, Chelsea have: @ Palace, Stoke, @ Swansea, Sunderland, Norwich, @ Cardiff. There are some relegation battle teams in there who will fight hard, but Chelsea have something to fight for too, so hopefully they aren't just going through the motions. Those all "should" be wins. What scares me most is some of those teams desperately needing a point to hang on, and full on parking the bus. Chelsea's defense has been stout of late, but there are games (like Villa on Saturday) where struggle to score if the other team is committed to defense.

Most of the goals have come on fast break counter attacks, usually involving Hazard. If the opposition keeps an army of bodies back, it's tough. Chelsea doesn't run a great half court offense, so to speak.

Good point. On that note, @ Palace or Norwich are the games where that is most likely to happen in my view.

Brick

People seem overly high on Liverpool in my view. I still think their defense is a big weak link, and odds are that they can't maintain their hot streak over the remaining 9 games. ManCity and Chelsea are both more than capable of exploiting Liverpool's defense. I mean, Hazard against Flanagan? Aguero against Skrtel? Navas/Silva against Flanagan? That's a huge mismatch. Granted, City have a mismatch with Sturridge/Saurez against whatever crappy CB pairs with Kompany. I think City and Chelsea have the ability to take advantage of Liverpool.

Stop tagging me. Michigan are horrible.

NML

I don't know if Liverpool are legitimate contenders of not, but I do know they've posted two straight clean sheets against fairly solid offensive team, and they've scored 18 goals in their last five.

No team is hotter right now

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I don't know if Liverpool are legitimate contenders of not, but I do know they've posted two straight clean sheets against fairly solid offensive team, and they've scored 18 goals in their last five.

No team is hotter right now

Southampton and ? :thumbsup:

Milo

SIAP, but has anyone seen Norwich's last stretch of games? They are currently 15th and have a four point cushion, but end with:

Liverpool(Home)
Manchester United(Away)
Chelsea(Away)
Arsenal(Home)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
@Brick

Well @ManU isn't that bad. The rest, though. Yikes. The good news is that other teams have similar guantlets at other times (Sunderland). So if they can get a bigger cushion, they might be okay.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I feel pretty comfortable saying Fulham and Cardiff are going down, No idea who the 3rd team will be out of Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, and WBA. Poyet has turned around Sunderland pretty well. Would be shocking to see Swansea go down with their passing rate/possesion being best in the league.

Orangebird

Premier League Champs

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
From the comments..

[BCOLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)]
rubbish. moyes got his orders wrong, that's all. they told him to aim for championship and he thought they said " the championship ". its a simple mistake anybody could have made.​
[/BCOLOR]

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Welp. Arsenal gonna be in a fight for 4th instead of 1st.

Now given up 6-5-6 goals against away against the other top 3.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Wenger hasn't signed a new contract yet. I'm worried that Arsenal could have a ManU like season if he leaves. Even though on paper this team looks decent, they haven't shown anything good against the top 4 (plus ManU). Maybe it's a mental thing, but this is fucking ridiculous.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Compare those starting lineups and compare which players are a lock to start or feature prominently for their teams come World Cup 2014. The results obviously will not surprise you.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
lmao @ negredo, that's gonna hurt for a while