• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

122nd Annual Winter Meetings in BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA!!

jdlikewhoa

You are wrong.

14w6gbm.jpg

Wooly

Tony posts something inaccurate about one of my contracts, and a lot of people get riled up about something not even true. Sounds like a certain president. Are you all Trumpkins or something?

RIP WBL indeed.

Soonerfan09

I can give my PREFERRED TRADING PARTNER @doh a pass on that one because that was likely an honest mistake. The shit @Wooly does is not only dumb (leaving AAAA Jason Kelly in A for a season for "immersion") but flat out against the rules (seven year extension for a first extension on an ARB eligible player) and he should know better.
To be fair, unless you follow the MLB fairly close, you probably don't know about those contract rules (I sure as hell don't).
If y'all don't want people like me making those mistakes, those rules need to be added somewhere, because I doubt many people will go looking them.

As far as whatever is wrong with what doh did, I still don't see it. I've already asked once, mainly for clarification for myself, but if you'll just gonna keep talking in riddles, then you'll be responsible when I make the same errors. (Not specifically talking to you, Tony, your post just pinpointed both of my points).

jdlikewhoa

Tony posts something inaccurate about one of my contracts, and a lot of people get riled up about something not even true. Sounds like a certain president. Are you all Trumpkins or something? RIP WBL indeed.

Some are guilty until they prove themselves innocent in this league (and for good reason). I just like to bake cookies.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Tony posts something inaccurate about one of my contracts, and a lot of people get riled up about something not even true. Sounds like a certain president. Are you all Trumpkins or something? RIP WBL indeed.

I was riled up about your other contracts, actually.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Tony posts something inaccurate about one of my contracts, and a lot of people get riled up about something not even true. Sounds like a certain president. Are you all Trumpkins or something?

RIP WBL indeed.

To be fair, he isnt wrong about it being dumb. Karshev's is dumb too. I mean the rules are mostly guidelines to not being a dick and then we have people do things like those two contacts and people want to add more and more rules.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
To be fair, unless you follow the MLB fairly close, you probably don't know about those contract rules (I sure as hell don't).
If y'all don't want people like me making those mistakes, those rules need to be added somewhere, because I doubt many people will go looking them.
No, you really don't and they are added somewhere.

Wooly

To be fair, he isnt wrong about it being dumb. Karshev's is dumb too. I mean the rules are mostly guidelines to not being a dick and then we have people do things like those two contacts and people want to add more and more rules.

What is dumb about Karshev's? That one is pretty straight forward.

Wooly

I mean only you would make it $14,999,999
So? Who really cares if I make it a dollar less than 15m?

Let's say I made it 14,750,000, a measly 249K less? Does anyone get upset about that? Probably not. It's not really effectively different than 14,999,999, but people react to it differently. 14,999,999 "feels" like it's just going up to the line and not crossing it, which it is. However, that "feels like it" difference is not actually much different. So maybe people should get some perspective and not worry about it.

If people don't like the idea of getting too close to the actual line, because it feels like you are stepping over some unwritten code of conduct line...where the hell is that code of conduct line? Is it really 14,000,000, 14,500,000, 14,750,000, 14,900,000? Should I refrain from using the place values of 1-999 at all, so it doesn't appear like I am actually trying to add things up? Where is the line where you stop being a WBL buddy and start being a dick? From what I can see, what makes anything acceptable in this league (contracts, posts, personnel moves, etc) depends mostly on your popularity.

Like a lot of things in this league, it's perception, not reality.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
So his buyout is ~$200,000 too low?
I've just been eyeballing it and I suck at math....I'm sure a number of my contracts are 5-10% off, because I thought his was fine until I did the math. My b.
$4000 short :laughing: If you suck at math just guesstimate on the high side. I never do exactly 20% unless my contract is a round number.

Sorry @Mr. Radpants. I didnt want to ruin the joke.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

Let's say I made it 14,750,000, a measly 249K less? Does anyone get upset about that? Probably not. It's not really effectively different than 14,999,999, but people react to it differently. 14,999,999 "feels" like it's just going up to the line and not crossing it, which it is. However, that "feels like it" difference is not actually much different. So maybe people should get some perspective and not worry about it.

If people don't like the idea of getting too close to the actual line, because it feels like you are stepping over some unwritten code of conduct line...where the hell is that code of conduct line? Is it really 14,000,000, 14,500,000, 14,750,000, 14,900,000? Should I refrain from using the place values of 1-999 at all, so it doesn't appear like I am actually trying to add things up? Where is the line where you stop being a WBL buddy and start being a dick? From what I can see, what makes anything acceptable in this league (contracts, posts, personnel moves, etc) depends mostly on your popularity.

This is all just your opinion, man.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@OU11 am I wrong here?

Before a player goes to arb for the first time, 5 year max. After they go through arb a year, you can do whatever you want.

That's what I remember doing, but it's your show now. Impose your will as you see fit

jdlikewhoa

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I've done the $14,999,999 because the rule is written as less than $15m and greater than $15m, but doesn't address equal to $15m. So as not to screw myself or be called out by the contract police, I just set it to one of the amounts the rule addresses.

I've also staggered contracts to give me more on my IFA years, but no one has ever called me out on it. I think doh made mention of me signing a guy he wanted because I structured my offer weird, but that's as far as the conversation went.

Basically it's best not to be Wolfman/Lloyd lite and you might just fly under the radar or get a little slack.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
And yeah, the point is to not have a lot of rules because it's tedious enough being the commissioner. So just stop being such big bundles of sticks and adhere to the guidelines to keep this as fun as possible.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
To be fair, I'm pretty sure I've done the $14,999,999 because the rule is written as less than $15m and greater than $15m, but doesn't address equal to $15m. So as not to screw myself or be called out by the contract police, I just set it to one of the amounts the rule addresses.

I've also staggered contracts to give me more on my IFA years, but no one has ever called me out on it. I think doh made mention of me signing a guy he wanted because I structured my offer weird, but that's as far as the conversation went.

Basically it's best not to be Wolfman/Lloyd lite and you might just fly under the radar or get a little slack.
Yeah I know you have done it. You have also given out like $30m in year one and then $10m after that. I mean none of this is against the rules and I am not worried about it like wooly seems to think I am. It just deserves to get called out as some sort of deterrent to taking things to far to the point that people start asking for rules. I'd rather not see staggered swings of $10m+ because I feel like it widens the gap between rich and poor teams, but I get the strategy behind it. Just because I think it's dumb doesnt mean anything :laughing: You'll can just continue to fling poo and see what sticks.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

This is the worst post of all time.