• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
He better get out of OKC, he'd be crazy to come back after witnessing Melo. He knows what RUSS is about so that's not a surprise, but Melo is almost unbelievably bad.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Rubio didn't get a triple double though so
image4061139x.jpg

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
question

would you rather have a rim protector or a wing defender?

Bdub

question

would you rather have a rim protector or a wing defender?
In my opinion a rim protector like Gobert. Reason is, if one guy can lock up the middle it allows you to guard the 3 and force the opposing team into hard mid range shots. That's basically how Utah plays defense.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Russ after game 3: "im gonna shut that shit down"

Russ after game 4: "its not about me or him"

:laughing:

I love how angry he got at the reporter for insinuating it was about Westbrook v. Rubio. But the question was just about the intensity of RUSS' D. But yeah, this same thought came across my mind. I would have paid money to be in the room if someone had said back something like "Well, you pretty much said it was about you and him... so...."

Brick

Seriously, RUSS not winning with this roster is laughable. Maybe he can just form his own team next year and put up the best numbahs of all time just because he can!

Reel

Community Liaison
In my opinion a rim protector like Gobert. Reason is, if one guy can lock up the middle it allows you to guard the 3 and force the opposing team into hard mid range shots. That's basically how Utah plays defense.
but you can pull Gobert away from the rim though

I only ask b/c i've seen the last few posts in here talking about Gobert being the DPOY and how important Roberson was to OKC's perimeter D

I also have an admittedly biased opinion of Jrue that i wont bother posting, but just thought this was an interesting exchange and wanted to get some insight.

Bdub

but you can pull Gobert away from the rim though

I only ask b/c i've seen the last few posts in here talking about Gobert being the DPOY and how important Roberson was to OKC's perimeter D

I also have an admittedly biased opinion of Jrue that i wont bother posting, but just thought this was an interesting exchange and wanted to get some insight.
Sure you can try to pull Gobert out of the middle, but by doing that you also hurt your offense. I mean look at how they have played OKC. Russ has barely had any drives to the hoop and George has to settle for 3 pointers or terrible mid range shots. They have tried to pick and roll down near the basket, but Gobert is good enough to cover it most of the time.
OKC just plays hero ball most of the time though. Last night they went over a quarter without a single assist.

Reel

Community Liaison
Sure you can try to pull Gobert out of the middle, but by doing that you also hurt your offense. I mean look at how they have played OKC. Russ has barely had any drives to the hoop and George has to settle for 3 pointers or terrible mid range shots. They have tried to pick and roll down near the basket, but Gobert is good enough to cover it most of the time.
OKC just plays hero ball most of the time though. Last night they went over a quarter without a single assist.
lol

thats OKC though

if you pull him away using a stretch or a big that can hit a decent clip from long 2 or 3, then he'll have to commit to it sooner or later

if he leaves, kick it out, if he stays, drive and penetrate

Bdub

lol

thats OKC though

if you pull him away using a stretch or a big that can hit a decent clip from long 2 or 3, then he'll have to commit to it sooner or later

if he leaves, kick it out, if he stays, drive and penetrate
Yeah, I agree, but it's not that easy of course. The opposing big has to be able to hit out by the 3 point line or Gobert will still be able to clog up the middle to some extent.

sayo

YEET
Depends. I know if it comes down to the playoffs, I'll take a rim protector who doesn't provide much offense over a wing who doesn't provide much offense. That's why two way guys like Kawhi are so valuable.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Okay but if Gobert airballed free throws and hit the side of the backboard would he still start multiple years in a row? Probably not. That's the Roberson test for a defender, few could pass it.

Bdub

Okay but if Gobert airballed free throws and hit the side of the backboard would he still start multiple years in a row? Probably not. That's the Roberson test for a defender, few could pass it.
Have you seen him shoot? He is terrible on offense.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yes, he would. He's one of the best rim protectors the league has seen in years.

I would, but it also seems that teams wouldn't put up with a guaranteed net negative from a big as fast as a wing. That's just my perception of course, but I'd put Gobert and a healthy Kawhi and Roberson as probably the only three that could be as terrible as Roberson on offense and still not even be questioned as a starter. It's an interesting thought experiment to me because Roberson hurt the offense so much. They played 5 on 4 (like they do now with Melo except Melo can't do anything) every possesion just so they could utilize him on defense.

Bdub

Regarding Melo, why is he even on the court as a starter? After game 2, Mitchell basically said their game plan is that if they get him 1 on 1 they are taking him to the basket every time. It's not like he is scoring all kinds of points to cover for his awful defense.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Regarding Melo, why is he even on the court as a starter? After game 2, Mitchell basically said their game plan is that if they get him 1 on 1 they are taking him to the basket every time. It's not like he is scoring all kinds of points to cover for his awful defense.

Because he'd probably throw a fit if he was benched. The problem is that he still thinks he's Nuggets Melo and is ISOing and taking contested 3s. RUSS is like us when we play FIFA. If someone else starts making stupid decisions it allows him to make stupid decisions. He's going to be risky anyway but if you have Melo eating up mulltiple possessions that end in fadeaway contested 18 footers, you're going to see that patented RUSS contested midrange pullup a few times shortly after.

Reel

Community Liaison
pride wont let him come off the bench

Reel

Community Liaison
Crazy how far he has fallen. To bad he won't hang it up for 5 more years.
i think he's gonna try and hang around for as long as LBJ does so he makes sure they go to the HOF together

or rather eligible for the same inductee class

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'll laugh if he plays until he's 40. What is he going to do? He already is useless, unless he completely reinvents hisself into a Reddick level 3 point shooter I'm not sure how he could stay as long as Lejuan will.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Because he'd probably throw a fit if he was benched. The problem is that he still thinks he's Nuggets Melo and is ISOing and taking contested 3s. RUSS is like us when we play FIFA. If someone else starts making stupid decisions it allows him to make stupid decisions. He's going to be risky anyway but if you have Melo eating up mulltiple possessions that end in fadeaway contested 18 footers, you're going to see that patented RUSS contested midrange pullup a few times shortly after.
Those Nuggets teams with Melo, AI, JR Smith, Birdman, and K-Mart tho :love: Wish I could’ve been in that locker room lol

NML

My god look at these gems:

Are you seriously not impressed? Everyone should slob his knob. The man just turned an aging PF whose game is based solely on athleticism, and bad backup PG, and pEnes Kanter into Paul George and Melo. Whatever you think of them as players, that's ridiculous.

This is simply a great trade for OKC. Not only did they give up virtually nothing to get Carmelo, but this trade makes them a legitimate contender against Golden State.

if they go 0-82, those two trades are still amazing

At least aging Melo is a decent stretch 4 who can give you solid minutes in the playoffs.

they actually positioned themselves to have no money on the books if RUSS leaves instead of having a ton sunk into dipo and kanter. so even if he leaves theyre better off than they were.

Ainge made one great move when he fleeced the idiotic Brooklyn Nets. He has not made a great move since and has ended up with a less talented team than Presti has.

The “legit contender to GSW” comment

tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

Brick

you really think a player is going to continue playing just so he can spend one day palling around with lebron?