• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Wolfman21

42 was best car. Chase had a 9th place car and drove the shit out of it to try and make it a 3 car battle at the end. For all the craziness, that was a great final 25 laps

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
200x200px-ZC-bb97ad05_post-53373-peter-griffin-go-on-meme-Imgur-r74t.gif
Jos Verstappen's boy wins in his first start with Red Bull Racing. Never even sat in the car before Friday practice. Qualified 4th, ran 2nd after Nico & Lewis wrecked each other, took the lead when Ricciardo pitted and never looked back.

He beat Vettel's "youngest winner" record by nearly 3 years.

Iron

Ty Majeski signs with Roush. He'll make his ARCA debut in June it sounds like. Sounds like 5 or so ARCA races to start this year.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
For all the hoopla about Larson, he's behind both Bayne and Stenhouse in the points. Dude needs to get with a team that prioritizes its NASCAR program ahead of Indycar.

Replace Kahne with Larson, and then start grooming two more guys to take over for Dale Jr. and Jimmie when they retire in the next 4-5 years. Could be a stout team for years. Chase Elliott's already in championship form, as is the 88 and 48. Lose that boat anchor in the 5 and they could give Gibbs a decent run.

Wolfman21

Last 3 cup races have seen tv viewership increases from last year.

Dega : 6.3 - 6.7 MM
Kansas : 2.5 - 3.1 MM
Dover : 3.9 - 4.0 MM

Which of those do you think was on Fox compared to two others being on FS1?

JAR201166

Last 3 cup races have seen tv viewership increases from last year.

Dega : 6.3 - 6.7 MM
Kansas : 2.5 - 3.1 MM
Dover : 3.9 - 4.0 MM

Which of those do you think was on Fox compared to two others being on FS1?
dega because even rabbit ears get fox here

Wolfman21

still up .4 mil over last year. Three races in a row where the viewership is up over last season hasn't happened in a while i would guess

gilstein21

Him and Larson are going to be fun to watch. Could probably through Blaney and Bayne in there too if Rousch ever figures it out

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Let's hear it for the Brian France and Tony George. Only through their leadership could they take something that their father and grandfather built and turn it into absolute trash.

2016 Indy 500 (and the 100th Indy 500): 33 cars for 33 spots
2016 World 600: 40 cars for 40 spots

1981 Indy 500: 75 cars for 33 spots

BRAVO-gif.gif

Bdub

Let's hear it for the Brian France and Tony George. Only through their leadership could they take something that their father and grandfather built and turn it into absolute trash.

2016 Indy 500 (and the 100th Indy 500): 33 cars for 33 spots
2016 World 600: 40 cars for 40 spots

1981 Indy 500: 75 cars for 33 spots

BRAVO-gif.gif
I agree with you, but that being said no matter what they could have done motor racing in the United States has experienced a huge decline over the last 20 years. That being said Indycar has been really good for the last 3 or 4 years with a minimum of stupidity from management. Unfortunately Americans just don't give a damn when it comes to racing anything that doesn't go around in a circle. Saw the other day that more people outside of the United States watch Indycar than in the United States.

goblue96

I agree with you, but that being said no matter what they could have done motor racing in the United States has experienced a huge decline over the last 20 years. That being said Indycar has been really good for the last 3 or 4 years with a minimum of stupidity from management. Unfortunately Americans just don't give a damn when it comes to racing anything that doesn't go around in a circle. Saw the other day that more people outside of the United States watch Indycar than in the United States.

It's takes a special breed of stupid to get car counts down to where the fields are just full

Wolfman21

Does it? The cost of building cars these days with the technology that is a part of the world is astronomical. Regular joes just can't bring their cars to the track and race them anymore.

goblue96

Does it? The cost of building cars these days with the technology that is a part of the world is astronomical. Regular joes just can't bring their cars to the track and race them anymore.

Racing has always been "The best way to turn a billionaire into a millionaire" sport. Expenses have always been high. Doing little things like not allowing teams who have retired for the day selling their tires to teams still racing doesn't help the small team only helps the sanctioning body's bottom line. Those small teams now have to eat that tire cost. Over 36 races, it adds up.

Bdub

Racing has always been "The best way to turn a billionaire into a millionaire" sport. Expenses have always been high. Doing little things like not allowing teams who have retired for the day selling their tires to teams still racing doesn't help the small team only helps the sanctioning body's bottom line. Those small teams now have to eat that tire cost. Over 36 races, it adds up.
I think Indycar has done a ton to keep costs down but with the exception of Penskie, most of the teams are just getting by. I don't really follow the ins and outs of NASCAR, but with Indycar the sponsorships are just not there anymore. Interest in open wheel racing is just not that high in this country.

goblue96

I think Indycar has done a ton to keep costs down but with the exception of Penskie, most of the teams are just getting by. I don't really follow the ins and outs of NASCAR, but with Indycar the sponsorships are just not there anymore. Interest in open wheel racing is just not that high in this country.

US interest in open wheel racing was blown apart when Tony George tried to create his own series. However, the racing landscape was much different in mid 90's when Tony George created the IRL and split away from CART than it was in the late 70's/early 80's when CART split from USAC. Both splits had a period of time where there were two open wheel series. However, the mid 90's NASCAR was a much bigger player than they were in the late 70's. NASCAR had passed open wheel racing in popularity by the early 90's and the CART/IRL split only widened the gap.

As a result, sponsors started to withdraw from both series. CART was slowly bled dry leaving only IRL. But the damage was done. The open wheel racing had dropped to below also-ran status. Not a lot of US drivers or races on ovals which were two things that Tony George was attempting to achieve with IRL. 20+ years later and we are left with a weak series with not a lot of interest from fans or sponsors. That solely lays at Tony George's feet.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
The only reason the IRL even won that battle is because they had Indianapolis. If Champ Car had Indy, the IRL would have been like a junior series. There was a real concern in Europe that Champ Car might become the premier open wheel series in the world in the early 90s. When you have the defending F1 champ Nigel Mansell running the series, and Ayrton Senna testing for Penske, that was a real shot across the bow.

362cb973ef6d76b00ca1f83f57e4245b.jpg

It's amazing what can take place in just a few years.

goblue96

The only reason the IRL even won that battle is because they had Indianapolis. If Champ Car had Indy, the IRL would have been like a junior series. There was a real concern in Europe that Champ Car might become the premier open wheel series in the world in the early 90s. When you have the defending F1 champ Nigel Mansell running the series, and Ayrton Senna testing for Penske, that was a real shot across the bow.

362cb973ef6d76b00ca1f83f57e4245b.jpg

It's amazing what can take place in just a few years.

CART had the US 500 from Fontana or some other shitty NASCAR oval and couldn't draw flies because everyone was at Indy.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Michigan IIRC. It should have been a great race, but yeah, Indy.

I think some spectators got killed too.

*edit* Oop, that was in 98.

Bdub

US interest in open wheel racing was blown apart when Tony George tried to create his own series. However, the racing landscape was much different in mid 90's when Tony George created the IRL and split away from CART than it was in the late 70's/early 80's when CART split from USAC. Both splits had a period of time where there were two open wheel series. However, the mid 90's NASCAR was a much bigger player than they were in the late 70's. NASCAR had passed open wheel racing in popularity by the early 90's and the CART/IRL split only widened the gap.

As a result, sponsors started to withdraw from both series. CART was slowly bled dry leaving only IRL. But the damage was done. The open wheel racing had dropped to below also-ran status. Not a lot of US drivers or races on ovals which were two things that Tony George was attempting to achieve with IRL. 20+ years later and we are left with a weak series with not a lot of interest from fans or sponsors. That solely lays at Tony George's feet.
I agree with you on all this, but I still think we would have seen a decline regardless of what Tony George did. Add that on top of it and you see a massive decline. Still even as the series struggles they still manage to attract top tier international talent with a lot of F1 ties. One thing that would help open wheel racing in general is actually having a few good American drivers. I don't care about that but I know many people cheer for Americans more. I don't think Formula 1 has had an American driver for a long time and even Indycar only has a few that don't suck.
On the bright side it appears that the Indy 500 is sold out this year. So they sold 400,000 tickets making it the biggest single sporting event in the world, so some people still care.