• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

CFB Playoff Top 25 Rankings Presented By In-N-Out

PSUEagle

I'm just glad Notre Dame finally showed their ass so you wouldn't be arguing for their inclusion over OU.

Brick

Would have been an easy argument for the Irish, but I'm glad too since fuck ND. Bayfield seems like a tool, but I don't find them unlikable otherwise. Plus it might piss mak off if they win the shampship, which is a nice bonus.

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
Bama is not losing to Florida. Probably going to be a 17 pt favorite.
Bama STILL doesn't have an offense... so unless they can lobby to change the rules (and, hey, it could happen because... Nick Saban) to increase the play clock to 2 minutes so Derrick Henry can catch his breath in between his 60 - 80 carries next week... Bama gon' go down.

It'll be another 3-2 shitshow. As anemic as UF's offense is, if they can just key on Henry and slow him down, it will be better than Bama's.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Bama STILL doesn't have an offense... so unless they can lobby to change the rules (and, hey, it could happen because... Nick Saban) to increase the play clock to 2 minutes so Derrick Henry can catch his breath in between his 60 - 80 carries next week... Bama gon' go down.

It'll be another 3-2 shitshow. As anemic as UF's offense is, if they can just key on Henry and slow him down, it will be better than Bama's.

Compared to UF's offense Bama's pretty high speed not to mention Bama has an actual FG unit that can like kick XPs and stuff (speaking of shit shows have you seen the Gaytors FG kicking). Bama still has Henry, a lot of speed at WR and Coker at times is effective.

I will be shocked if this isn't like 35-3.

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
Bama has an actual FG unit that can like kick XPs and stuff (speaking of shit shows have you seen the Gaytors FG kicking).

Dude, don't try to sell me on Bama's FG unit. The same headcase Polack who was money in the Iron Bowl started off the season by missing something like 12 straight field goals. He could revert in an instant.

I will be shocked if this isn't like 35-3.
...I don't see GoGatah getting to 35. Bama's offense sucks, but the D is still pretty stout.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Dude, don't try to sell me on Bama's FG unit. The same headcase Polack who was money in the Iron Bowl started off the season by missing something like 12 straight field goals. He could revert in an instant.

...I don't see GoGatah getting to 35. Bama's offense sucks, but the D is still pretty stout.

Short fields, turnovers....UF just barely survived Florida Atlantic at home.

It's a stone cold lock to cover the 17 (or whatever the line is).

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
also they're getting an inordinate amount of credit for (barely) beating tennessee OOC (who has lost every big OOC game for about a decade, a lot of them in embarrassing fashion) and the texas loss is being ignored even though the longhorns are bad (prestige program/rivalry). perfect situation for them.

given what the other one loss teams resumes are looking like, they should be in IMO, but the fact that they are an unquestionable lock is because of their tradition. don't get it twisted.

#BRAND

DHawkeye

only mostly dead
I thought you were dead

"Yeah, you and everybody else."

latest

Wooly

You won't know until Tuesday how high nort Carolina would have to jump. If they nice up to say 6-8 this week and beat Clemson I think they in. And we get to start saying clemsoning again.
This is a good point. If the rise high enough, the ACC Championsip could be a play-in game, like the B1G is now.

If Clemson does lose, how do they stack up to the other 1 loss teams, objectively, not what you think the committee will do?

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Hell just think if Arkansas hadn't beat Ole Miss on the luckiest play ever. They would be playing Florida and Bammer would be left out. They'd still prolly make the playoff, though.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Just scrap the whole system and go back to 10-15 bowl games with the mythical national champion selected by writers in their 80's unless the stars align and #1 and #2 are locked into the same bowl game.

It was corrupt and shady but you knew it was corrupt and shady. They didn't give a fuck who was #5 in ESPN's made-for-tv National Championship Playoff. #5 already had too many blemishes to deserve to the mythical national champ anyway.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Lets start another playoff debate. Im for 8 teams, 5 conference champion auto qualifier unless the champion is out of the top 15. Then 3 at large bids. First round played at the home field of the higher ranked team.

I am all for this. You could have even included the BCS to rank the at-larges.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
I'm in favor of a 14 team playoff, with matchups determined by geographic location. Title game participants will be determined by a 14-game round robin. Style of play will generally be smashmouth football. We will call this playoff the Southeastern Conference and the flags will be confederate and the south will rise again.

coogrfan

I'm in favor of a 14 team playoff, with matchups determined by geographic location. Title game participants will be determined by a 14-game round robin. Style of play will generally be smashmouth football. We will call this playoff the Southeastern Conference and the flags will be confederate and the south will rise again.

So long as the rest of us aren't required to watch, knock yourselves out. :cool:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Just give Bama the cham'ship in September and have them defend it until they lose. All P5 teams face them on Saturdays at 12, 4, & 8 EST. Winner carries on like an elimination tournament. Every game is called by Verne & Gary.

Wooly

Lets start another playoff debate. Im for 8 teams, 5 conference champion auto qualifier unless the champion is out of the top 15. Then 3 at large bids. First round played at the home field of the higher ranked team.
This is the closest to what I prefer.

Though Fried Rice has the wittiest response, as usual.

bruin

LOL at Ole Miss moving into the top 15 and them sneaking in Tennessee at 25.

never change

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Why complain about Tennessee? Who else you want in there? If Aaron Medley could make his damn FG's, TN would be 11-1 with wins over OU and Bammer and the Vols would be playing Ole Miss in Atlanta for the SEC title and a spot in the final 4. SEC hater.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I'd personally much rather see Western Kentucky, Memphis, Toledo, App State, Bowling Green or San Diego State at that #25 spot.

If it's entire irrelevant who is at #25 (and it is), then why not give it to a team who typically doesn't get the love instead of falling back on the same prejudices?

This "committee" showed what their agenda is in 2014. 2015 has been more of the same. The rankings are nothing more than to justify the inclusion/exclusion of certain teams in their precious final 4, and they will twist the logic to get the 4 they want. As indicated by an undeserving team being included in year 1.

-YTC

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Umm I never said Iowa sucks. I just said I think they will get boat raced if they play one of the other top 5 teams. Tennessee played 2 of them and should have beaten them both. It is just my opinion. At least I have proof that Tennessee would not get boat raced by a top 5 team. I have no proof Iowa won't. Guess we will find out soon.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
By including Tennessee in the top 25, you give one more talking point to minimize what was easily the worst loss of the current top 8.

-YTC

Wooly

Well now that UNC only moved up to #10, I think they are effectively out of any chance of making the playoffs. They are not going to jump Stanford or Ohio St. from #10, even if they beat Clemson.

If Bama loses, it's either Stanford or Ohio St. in, and if Clemson loses it's Stanford, Ohio St. or Clemson getting in. Clemson can still get in with 1 loss against a highly ranked UNC team, it's just a matter of preference at that point between those three teams, with Stanford most likely missing out in that scenario.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
  • Oklahoma has the worst loss of any team in the top 8.
  • Oklahoma defeated Tennessee in September.
  • Tennessee has not been ranked at any point since that loss to Oklahoma...until this week.
  • Tennessee is still not ranked in either of the prominent media polls, but is ranked in the Playoff Top 25.
  • Now, Oklahoma gets to claim a win over a "top 25 team" to add to their resume, which, again, includes the worst loss of any team in the top 8.
-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Well now that UNC only moved up to #10, I think they are effectively out of any chance of making the playoffs. They are not going to jump Stanford or Ohio St. from #10, even if they beat Clemson.

If Bama loses, it's either Stanford or Ohio St. in, and if Clemson loses it's Stanford, Ohio St. or Clemson getting in. Clemson can still get in with 1 loss against a highly ranked UNC team, it's just a matter of preference at that point between those three teams, with Stanford most likely missing out in that scenario.

There is a 0.0% chance of Clemson getting into the CFP if they lose this weekend. There's simply no possible justification for including Clemson but not UNC in that scenario, and there's no way the ACC is getting 2 teams in.

-YTC

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
Gives OU a "quality" road win.
Gotcha, I thought he was actually trying to minimize the loss itself.

Either way, calling a win "quality" or not based on whether they are 25 or 26th is dumb. Not only that, the committee (and people in general) acknowledge a team can play like dogshit early on, but it's "how they finish that's important," but they don't use the same logic when looking at opponents. It's like they realize a team is not the exact same team all year long, but can't resist comparing common opponents who also may have gotten better/worse over the season.

Brick

ESPN already starting the "DURRRR IF NORTH CAROLINA GETS IN EVERYONE WILL ONLY SCHEDULE FCS TEAMS SETTING PRECDENT DURR" talking point. All Herbie talked about last night. Uh, they scheduled an SEC team on a neutral field (south carolina), loss or not. And a lot of FCS teams are on the same level as lower FBS teams. so?

no one is talking about oklahoma playing akron and tulsa
alabama playing middle tennessee state, louisiana monroe, (monroe doesn't have a win against an FBS team), and charleston southern (FCS)

also south carolina is one loss behind texas, and oklahoma was throttled while NC did everything they could to give south carolina the game.

whole thing is such a fucking joke. as long as teams make an attempt to schedule one good OOC program (since they are scheduled so far in advance, no control over how good the opponent is) there is no problem. i'm fine with schools playing two FCS teams since there's no preseason. anyway, no one is playing more than 2 major programs, and 95% are playing two or three shitty schools, regardless if they are FBS or not. who cares if you're favored by 30 points or 50 points? they're auto-wins.

really, everyone not from the big xii or pac-12 should stfu, because they have one extra cupcake game. no one will bring that up ever though, just like the conference championship bs is ignored. ordinary fuckin people mang.

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
80-year old cigar-smoking sports writers didn't give a shit who was #5. They gave a shit about selling papers and who the mythical national champion was sold papers.

It wasn't until the "everyone wins a trophy" generation grew up did the argument shift to "inclusion" and who truly is number 1.

Now, leave me alone and get off my lawn, I have a cloud to go yell at.

Lightningwar

Administrator
  • Oklahoma has the worst loss of any team in the top 8.
  • Oklahoma defeated Tennessee in September.
  • Tennessee has not been ranked at any point since that loss to Oklahoma...until this week.
  • Tennessee is still not ranked in either of the prominent media polls, but is ranked in the Playoff Top 25.
  • Now, Oklahoma gets to claim a win over a "top 25 team" to add to their resume, which, again, includes the worst loss of any team in the top 8.
-YTC

I am beyond the losses in some of this discussion. OU has a horrible loss. They also have the best resume when it comes to wins of anybody in the top 10. IMO they are playing the best football right now within the top 10.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
OU is a great team, but Brick is right in that the only reason that they're a LOCK is because they're OU. If TTU or K-State had the same resume, committee would be working hard to keep them out.

Lightningwar

Administrator
OU is a great team, but Brick is right in that the only reason that they're a LOCK is because they're OU. If TTU or K-State had the same resume, committee would be working hard to keep them out.

I think it would be hard to deny K-State or TTU a spot in the CFP if they were playing like OU against their best opponents of the year. I dont think OU is in there due to their name. They are playing their best football against their best opponents right now.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Umm I never said Iowa sucks. I just said I think they will get boat raced if they play one of the other top 5 teams. Tennessee played 2 of them and should have beaten them both. It is just my opinion. At least I have proof that Tennessee would not get boat raced by a top 5 team. I have no proof Iowa won't. Guess we will find out soon.

The Vols are a solid team, but we can't play the "if they just did this" game. Alabama likely would have won the national title in 2013 if they just tackled Chris Davis. Al Gore would have been president if he had just won Florida. We can justify almost anything if we use that logic.

On another note, what bowl is UT going to? Music City since Mizzou declined? They're possibly ranked at #25 to garner more interest for the bowl game, which is fine with me. Cities that host bowl games put a lot of money into them, and hosting a ranked team is much more lucrative.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I think it would be hard to deny K-State or TTU if they were playing like OU against their best opponents of the year a spot in the CFP. I dont think OU is in there due to their name. They are playing their best football against their best opponents right now.

You're right, but if this were those other teams, points that Brick has brought up like TCU missing Boykin and Doctson or Baylor missing Russell would be brought up a lot more than they are now.

OSU would be getting pushed a lot harder if they were going up against an 11-1 Tech team rather than an 11-1 OU team.

Brick

I think it would be hard to deny K-State or TTU a spot in the CFP if they were playing like OU against their best opponents of the year. I dont think OU is in there due to their name. They are playing their best football against their best opponents right now.
The point is people wouldn't be saying that about Texas Tech or Kansas State if they beat Baylor by 10 and TCU by 1.