• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

CFB Playoff Top 25 Rankings Presented By In-N-Out

Brick

okay, so say they balance themselves out. i just think they aren't nearly as good as last year. offense is pretty bad. they've played a number of teams close that they could/should have slaughtered. three nice wins that all could have easily gone the other way. whatever the excuse is for nebraska, illinois and purdue beat that team. trade michigan and nebraska wins/losses and I'd have them at 4 or 5. im firmly against losing to shitty teams. to me they are level with oklahoma to me. baylor, oklahoma state, notre dame, alabama have a better case in my opinion. if it came down to deciding between them and oklahoma id pick msu doe, now that i think about it. texas smoked ou.

Last edited:

MSUFanatic

okay, so say they balance themselves out. i just think they aren't nearly as good as last year. offense is pretty bad. they've played a number of teams close that they could/should have slaughtered. three nice wins that all could have easily gone the other way. whatever the excuse is for nebraska, illinois and purdue beat that team. trade michigan and nebraska wins/losses and I'd have them at 4 or 5. im firmly against losing to shitty teams. to me they are level with oklahoma to me. baylor, oklahoma state, notre dame, alabama have a better case in my opinion. if it came down to deciding between them and oklahoma id pick msu doe, now that i think about it. texas smoked ou.

I'll agree with most of that but what does the bold have to do with what is happening right now? I mean it doesn't really matter if MSU wins next week and then faces an undefeated Iowa team and beats them for the Big Ten title it will be 4 wins with 3 coming against top 10 opponents (Oregon, OSU, Iowa) when they faced them and will be hard pressed to be left out.

It's also a lot of ifs in your statement that didn't happen. MSU dominated the game against UM which is baffling to me why you would trade that win for a loss and somehow move MSU up which is why I joked that quality losses seem to be better than wins which is just ridiculous. It really is unfortunate MSU didn't lose those close games to help appease you in that category.

Brick

oregon isn't a top ten opponent, and certainly wasn't week two. no one domaintes a game they never led in until 00:00. id rather have a team beat every team they should than beat their best opponents, yes. personal preference. imo a national champ shouldnt have lost to this year's nebraska or texas. i value beating shitty teams. thats why iowa is at #2 and we probably wont have more than 1 undefeated team this year. a loss to michigan on the road is fine. i dont want the national champ to have lost to a team that lost to purdue or lost to a team that went 0-0 into overtime.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It's also a lot of ifs in your statement that didn't happen. MSU dominated the game against UM which is baffling to me why you would trade that win for a loss and somehow move MSU up which is why I joked that quality losses seem to be better than wins which is just ridiculous. It really is unfortunate MSU didn't lose those close games to help appease you in that category.

Yeah, never lead, and needed the second luckiest play of the year (Miami-Duke) to win. Sure, the yardage favored MSU, but that's only dominance if you completely ignore Michigan's hidden yardage in special teams, which they dominated until ... that.

Also, top 10 opponents when they played? Come on.

MSU is more likely than not in if they win out, so I don't know why you're complaining about @Brick's feelings on it.

MSUFanatic

Yeah, never lead, and needed the second luckiest play of the year (Miami-Duke) to win. Sure, the yardage favored MSU, but that's only dominance if you completely ignore Michigan's hidden yardage in special teams, which they dominated until ... that.

MSU is more likely than not in if they win out, so I don't know why you're complaining about @Brick's feelings on it.

You must had missed my other post saying this is all moot - just merely pointing out that @Brick is wrong.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

MSUFanatic

Also, the luckiest part of the play was Jeeeeeeem being a complete idiot having 3 gunners on a play that saw MSU line up 11 on the LOS and no one deep.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
:laughing: Man, I love you 'Paw, but this is one of the most asinine arguments I've seen around here.
I love you too but I've seen Iowa play. I think they are the 4th best team in the big 10. You think it's crazy they might not be as good as Tennessee? Tennessee isn't great but they can play with any team in the country this year and literally destroyed Iowa in January this year. Both teams are pretty much the exact same players. Iowa is having a great season. Good for them for not playing the 3 best big 10 teams.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

Also, the luckiest part of the play was Jeeeeeeem being a complete idiot having 3 gunners on a play that saw MSU line up 11 on the LOS and no one deep.

Now, now little bro, how many more games do we have to let you win before you stop crying. :laughing::trollface:

DHawkeye

only mostly dead
I love you too but I've seen Iowa play. I think they are the 4th best team in the big 10. You think it's crazy they might not be as good as Tennessee? Tennessee isn't great but they can play with any team in the country this year and literally destroyed Iowa in January this year. Both teams are pretty much the exact same players. Iowa is having a great season. Good for them for not playing the 3 best big 10 teams.

Do you honestly believe that Iowa players just sat on their asses for the last 10 months? Do you not think that Iowa players are capable of any improvement at all in that amount of time?

I've seen Iowa play too. I'm not even denying that they might not be the best team in the B1G. I think teams like OSU are definitely more talented overall. Obviously the only way to say one way or another for certain is to see them in the B1G shampship game. But it blows my mind that you would really be willing to say that "Tennessee can play with any team in the country" and not afford that same attribution to a team that has not lost a game all season.

I'm not going to get into the Who Have You Beaten discussion, but to say that just because a team has lots of returning players that they can't possibly be any better than the year before is just silly. Iowa is clearly a better football team than last year. All you need to do is look at the big fat 0 in the loss column to see that. And my guess is that Tennessee is probably a better football team too. That's what almost a year's worth of practice and conditioning can do for a football team, even ignoring the multitude of other changes that have taken place with Iowa football (as much philosophically as with personnel).

It's fucking hard to go undefeated, whether you play in the Almighty SEC or the Lowly MAC. We'll see if Iowa can pull it off--Nebraska won't be a cakewalk, regardless of their record--but right now they've met and defeated every challenge, and they are one of only two teams in the entire country who can say that. I think that says a lot about them, beyond just which players they have or what happened in a bowl game a year ago.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Well the reason I don't say that about Iowa is because they haven't played anyone that looks very good to me. Their best win is northwestern. How can I say they can play with anyone when they haven't even played the most talented teams in their own conference? no need to take it personal. It's just my opinion but that schedule is pure shit. I give them credit for winning but that doesn't mean I think they are better than other teams. I was looking at who else they beat and saw Wisconsin but then I saw Wisconsins schedule. They missed every team this year too.

If they prove me wrong I'll be the first to eat crow but I think they get their shit pushed in if they play anyone else in the top 5.

DHawkeye

only mostly dead
Well the reason I don't say that about Iowa is because they haven't played anyone that looks very good to me. Their best win is northwestern. How can I say they can play with anyone when they haven't even played the most talented teams in their own conference? no need to take it personal. It's just my opinion but that schedule is pure shit. I give them credit for winning but that doesn't mean I think they are better than other teams. I was looking at who else they beat and saw Wisconsin but then I saw Wisconsins schedule. They missed every team this year too.

If they prove me wrong I'll be the first to eat crow but I think they get their shit pushed in if they play anyone else in the top 5.

Oh, I didn't take it personally, I just found the "Tennessee beat them a year ago" argument to be severely lacking. If you're not impressed by their schedule, that's just fine. You're certainly not alone.

I did take the opportunity to express my admiration for what they've managed to do after reaching what was arguably the absolute nadir of the program under Ferentz, and I probably should have separated that from my counterpoint to your argument, so as not to muddle the conversation. My apologies.

xoxo,
Darwin J. Hawkeye
:love::love::love:

DHawkeye

only mostly dead
It's ok. I know you Iowans come hard and pissed when someone tom bouts your team.

Honestly, more than anything else, I'm just really excited that Iowa is even in a position where this sort of conversation is relevant. I had my doubts as to whether I'd ever see Iowa in a Rose Bowl. Now, to think that the Rose Bowl is the second best thing that could happen to us... it's almost too good to be true.

With all the negativity surrounding CFB lately (especially around these parts), it feels great to finally be so upbeat about this team, and actually look forward to seeing their games, rather than dreading them. I know that's an easy thing to say when you're undefeated, but with all of the history this team has made this year--and the way in which they've done it--I don't think anything could sully the season. Sure, falling short of the playoffs would be a bummer, particularly if it comes at the hands of the Cornholers, but even that wouldn't be enough to ruin things for me.

For as many bullshit things as I'm trying to sort through right now, Iowa football has, miraculously, not been one of them like it usually is.

Oh wait, forgot about the script. Sorry. Lemme get into character real quick...

RABBLERABBLEIOWARABBLERABBLESTRENGTHOFSCHEDULERABBLERABBLECOMEANDPISS

:emo: :emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

I mean, I definitely think they should have taken a delay and changed the punt protection, but it wouldn't have mattered if O'Neill hadn't dropped the ball. I also don't think 3 extra blockers would have made a difference, considering it was quite the jailbreak by MSU.

But if you think that a play that's happened twice in the past decade or something wasn't lucky, then I don't know what to tell you.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Iowa definitely gonna lose to Nebraska for all the lulz

I'm starting to think that they're going win it all. I keep thinking Iowa isn't that good, but they keep winning. So the only possible explanation is that they're going to win the whole fucking thing.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Hmmm, seems like a good season to suggest we move to an NFL-style 12 team playoff.....

Yes, by all means, let's increase the mediocrity that we give a shot to win the Shampship. I mean, we are to a point with this gawd-awful playoff that we are seriously considering teams that lost to Texas, Nebraska, and South Carolina.

Kill it with fire.

-YTC

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I'm starting to think that they're going win it all. I keep thinking Iowa isn't that good, but they keep winning. So the only possible explanation is that they're going to win the whole fucking thing.

I wanted to say that Iowa was like Michigan's 97 team that just kept winning but Michigan's schedule that year was littered with quality opponents and closed the season with four straight games against ranked teams.

Is there another undefeated team that's a better comparison to Iowa?

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I wanted to say that Iowa was like Michigan's 97 team that just kept winning but Michigan's schedule that year was littered with quality opponents and closed the season with four straight games against ranked teams.

Yeah, a few of those Boise/Hawaii/Utah teams that got left out of the BCS year after year.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni

Maybe the miniatures that Norte. Dame put on the field the year they lost to Alabama.

I was there. It looked like that madden game where ther make one team all 6'9" 450lbs.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
It's easy not to lose when you don't play anybody, that's the whole problem with letting teams get voted into the title game rather than playing for it.

But Oklahoma did play for it, and they lost to Texas.
But Michigan State did play for it, and they lost to Nebraska.
But North Carolina did play for it, and they lost to Sakerlina.

-YTC