• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
SMU and Tulsa are more or less the same school. Private, religious, same recruiting grounds. Tulsa's tiny enrollment (barely 3K undergrad) is a huge issue, SMU is double that but not like they are just pouring in the students. Tulsa is probably the better school for immediate success and they have recent successes to build on. SMU is a dumpster fire in every sense of the phrase. That is a long term rebuilding process.

The bigger question is probably, how long does Morris plan on sticking around? If he's going to do the Gus Malzahn one and done at a lower level program, Tulsa would be his Arkansas State. He can go there for a year, easily flip 4 or 5 losses from this year to wins and finish 8-4 and hop right along to a Big 12, ACC, SEC head gig. If he plans on staying at the lower level for a while, then SMU is the choice. They will pay more, the University is a bit more stable and with affluent donors and he could have success there after a few years.

If the decision isn't already made, that is pretty much the decision he'd have. How long is he going to stick around somewhere. Obviously that takes a lot of guess work anticipating what jobs may open next year or the year after.

R2D2

Gonna be weird next season going to Troy games and not seeing Blakeney on the sidelines.

Lightningwar

Administrator
it is weird to think he has managed that many wins in 7 seasons and gets fired. Most schools would love to win 9 games a year. Nebraska obviously wants to be relevant again on the national level.

Brick

This makes Michigan look pretty dumb to not pull the trigger on big ogre mong yet doe.

Do Nebraska fans really think they're going after Scott frost? I'm honestly asking. Hard to believe they're going to fire nine win erry year guy only to hire a young guy without head coaching experience.

He could be a great hire, but nobody really has as idea.

He has done great as OC at Oregon since Kelly left and helfrich was promoted, but keep in mind those two seasons have been with robo QB.

Either way corch frost isn't long for Oregon since he's hot right now. But I don't think his stock will ever be hotter after this season.

Iron

Names around the rumor mill are Frost, McElwain, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Greg Schiano and Jerry Kill.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
I was just asking seems like a good fit since he is a local guy, was QB of their last Championship team. Understands offenses.

I am not sure how Nebraska gets around their recruiting limitations and locations though.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Where does Pelini go now? HC at a smaller school or back to his roots as a DC? There are going to be a bunch of openings for DC at sizeable schools that he could go dominate at.

Brick

Pelini can be a head coach, yeah. Will he want to be though? Doesn't seem like he is a big fan of the spotlight. Could have his pick of DC jerbs.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
I don't want Bo.

Zook was an 8 win coach, nothing says an angry monkey of a coach who sometimes wins 9 games won't be Zook 2.0.

Ander1345

If you're making a change at Illinois, it's someone young and up and coming that you just go all in on.

PJ Fleck, maybe Fuentes. I want June Jones but that's just a run n shoot fetish talking.

The team is in a bowl, they won't keep progressing if you just throw a new coach in there. If you want ANOTHER reset, it's someone you bring in and lock them up for life. Probably someone with ties to the state.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
are you really happy with 6 wins at Illinois, considering the OOC schedule and the dumpster fire that is the BIG?

I mean Wisconsin is probably going to win it again and they cannot complete a forward pass, it is the Wooly wet dream every Saturday

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Rumblings are starting, one of my friends is a big booster and she says their groups are getting frustrated. Losing to fucking Illinois yesterday isn't going to help. In 9 seasons they have been ranked once at the end of the year.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
yeah, I think expectations have increased maybe unreasonably because of NIU winning conferences and going to better bowls. The whole why not us thing.

Ander1345

Imo, people read too much into the NIU thing. The MAC has come a long way, but Northwestern(ans Illinois) should not worry about NIU. It's much easier academically to get athletes into NIU. Much harder with NW and Illinois. I would say it's a fair amount easier to win at NIU than Illinois/NW. The only thing holding you back is your market/size of your school. If you want a kid, you can most likely land him, and not have Zook classes happen where all your recruited 4/5 star athletes wash out into Junior colleges.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
I am sure it won't happen this year or probably even the next few. Just saying the frustration is growing in Evanston.

Ander1345

NW was absolutely depleted this year, and they lost their best player before it even began.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Im shocked Hoke is still employed today as of 1:12PM CST. I'd have fired him on the way off the field yesterday and not even let him go in the locker room nor take the plane home.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I'd usually say going back to past glory in hiring Scott Frost at NU would be stupid. But his coaching experience looks pretty solid. And provided he eases NU into an Oregon style offense. They could become really good in the B1G.

mcnoles

Troy hires Kentucky's Neal Brown as head coach.

Troy has found its next football head coach, and Kentucky Wildcats offensive coordinator Neal Brown is the man, the school announced Sunday.
Larry Blakeney announced in October he would retire as Troy's football coach at the conclusion of the 3-9 season, giving the Trojans plenty of time to find his successor.
Brown just wrapped up his second season at UK as the OC after a stint as Texas Tech OC. His specialty is the air raid offense, but his style also allows for running backs to have an impact. Brown likes to emulate Eagles head coach Chip Kelly in that he demands his offense be as up-tempo as possible. While the OC at Texas Tech, Brown's offenses ran the most plays per game in college football over a 3-year span.
There's also the Tony Franklin connection. Now the offensive coordinator at California under air raid connoisseur Sonny Dykes, Franklin and Brown both served at Troy from 2006-07. Franklin was the offensive coordinator, while Brown was a receivers coach.
UK's season ended its season Saturday with a loss to in-state rival Louisville to fall to 5-7 and miss bowl eligibility. It was a promising yet frustrating year for both Brown and UK, who started the year 5-1 and appeared headed to a bowl for the first time since 2010.

Neal Brown new Troy coach

bruin

KIFFIN.TENN_.jpg

Brick

any program hiring kiffin deserves the death penalty.

especially michigan. that would be too great to be true. please, PLEASE hire him.

oh, you like nussmeier? his offenses at bama were statistically better than kiffin's. on the road this year bama scored 17, 14, 20, 20 points each game.

but the camera points to him more than any other coordinator in the country, and danielsen sucks him off, so that counts for something.

i think kiffin is a good OC, but anyone giving him another HC shot at a major program is mind-bottling.