• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 7 Thread (The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down to the Wawa for an Italian Hoagie)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Houston now has a football battle cry based off a reddit meme

l8677csqleq11.png

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Thurs big al steaks in my quiet little beach community. They claim to be authentic philly as big al and his son re-located to florida from thur. I do not partake in cheese steak subs but my dad and mmack do and they devoured big al's steak on thur last visit.

What about TASTE OF PHILLY, @Irishman?

Seems like a place @TonyGin&Juice would eat at
They're using Amaroso rolls and it's not terrible, but they're all independently owned/managed so there's no consistency. The service was horrendous at the closest ones to us, so we stopped going years ago.

What about LARGE MARGE'S @Irishman? Google says 5 stars and the best cheesesteaks this side of ANYWHERE. They also sell something called Poo Sauce
Their Italian lists ham and pepperoni as ingredients. Hard pass.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Straight up pepperoni and ham are just fine, but they are not ingredients for an authentic Italian hoagie. Pepper ham (prosciuttini), capacola ham, Genoa salami cooked salami, Provolone, LTO, oregano salt and pepper. That's what I grew up on.

Maybe all of the good cheesesteak places went out of business because everyone boycotted them based on their Italian sub ingredients.

Last edited:
If a Philly sandwich place fucks up the ingredients to the second most popular Philly sandwich, why should they be trusted with the first?

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
giving up hundreds of passing yards and touchdowns to second and third string QBs: an Oklahoma State story.

Next up: Kansas State

CJ_24

I had a reel cuban sandwich this weekend. My sandwich consuming is forever altered by that exceptional experience.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Have ya'll considered that something AUTHENTIC PHILLY would be better if it was less authentic? The AMAROSO ROLLS or whatever Taste of PHILLY uses suck by the time they get to CO because they are always smashed to fuck. Just use a fresh roll, motherfuckers, the recipe for a roll exists! The Philly Cheesesteaks I make >>> any AUTHENTIC philly cheese steak that probably uses philly rat meat. I don't even need to touch the CHEEZE WIZ side of the argument because that would be the nuclear option that proves my point.

I mean my grandmother in law makes some amazing AUTHENTIC New Mexican food, but I'd probably like it better if I could replace the chicken peckers and necks with some chicken thighs instead.

Last edited:
Have ya'll considered that something AUTHENTIC PHILLY would be better if it was less authentic? The AMAROSO ROLLS or whatever Taste of PHILLY uses suck by the time they get to CO because they are always smashed to fuck. Just use a fresh roll, motherfuckers, the recipe for a roll exists! The Philly Cheesesteaks I make >>> any AUTHENTIC philly cheese steak that probably uses philly rat meat. I don't even need to touch the CHEEZE WIZ side of the argument because that would be the nuclear option that proves my point.

I mean my grandmother in law makes some amazing AUTHENTIC New Mexican food, but I'd probably like it better if I could replace the chicken peckers and necks with some chicken thighs instead.
The Amaroso rolls are just fine being shipped. That's never been the problem. However, the problem isn't that local shops aren't using a fresh roll. The problem is that most of the time they use French bread - not Italian.

giphy.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Taste of Philly rolls look like they were smuggled across the country by Yankee on a greyhound bus. Is that what an AMOROSO roll supposed to be like?

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Just make that shit yourself. That's what I do and that is the most fun I have when cooking. Trying to recreate regional cuisine and make it authentic. I think I did a damn good job on my roast pork. Next time I'll go for the cheesesteak.

My NY pizza still needs work and I need a huge oven, so that might never happen.

Taste of Philly's website has a very geocities feel to it, so I say caveat emptor. Again, I think the use of Italian bread is important - Amaroso or otherwise - but the proper cold cut ingredients are more important to me to me. I've already addressed that Taste of Philly's service and consistency is questionable.

Just make that shit yourself. That's what I do and that is the most fun I have when cooking. Trying to recreate regional cuisine and make it authentic. I think I did a damn good job on my roast pork. Next time I'll go for the cheesesteak.

My NY pizza still needs work and I need a huge oven, so that might never happen.
Not that I disagree with this in concept, but assembling a hoagie with local ingredients, even if you have the perfect roll, is problematic. The cheesesteak is much easier to manage than the hoagie, but some of the cold cuts used on a real hoagie are just flat out not available at a deli or meat market on Colorado. I've seen prosciuttini sold outside of the Mid-Atlantic states about 5 times in my life, and they never carry it for very long (low demand out here), so going to a local Philly sandwich shop where they import the meats is the only good option.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Well I'm not sure where Ma'wife's mawmaw buys the chicken peckers, but I'm ok with a substitution if the ingredient is hard to find.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Pepperoni is just a spicy salami so it counts. FOH

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The Taste of Philly near my apartment looked like the all time shittiest restaurant. I never went in, but they probably step on the rolls to smush them up there

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Philly cheesesteaks are gross. Why the hell would you want to recreate one in the first place. We don't need all you fucking transplants bringing your shitty food here, too.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I've lived 34 years and expect to live at least 10 more and when my widowmaker heart attack takes me, it will do so without a single cheesesteak ever passing through my body. The appeal is lost on me completely.

Philly cheesesteaks are gross. Why the hell would you want to recreate one in the first place. We don't need all you fucking transplants bringing your shitty food here, too.

I've lived 34 years and expect to live at least 10 more and when my widowmaker heart attack takes me, it will do so without a single cheesesteak ever passing through my body. The appeal is lost on me completely.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
I don’t think this is even a HOT TAKE but Philly has to have one of the worst regional cuisines of any major city. Cheesesteaks and Italian subs? Nah b that shit can’t hold a candle to NY pizza and bagels, LA tacos, or even places like KC BBQ or Boston claw chowdah.

Honestly the only other contenders for worst I can think of are MPLS and Chicago. Jucy Lucy’s and deep dish pizza are average at best. Not to mention whatever tf a Chicago dog is.